Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • NNID:Atticus242
  • Fandom:
    Wii U, 3DS, Xbox 360, WWE

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:56 PM

So I just got my first tablet ever and I'm completely new to android. Any suggestions, advice or anything beneficial for me to know would be appreciated if there is anything not obvious.

Thx.

#2 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:05 PM

Don't buy an Apple product. XD

In all seriousness, I'd recommend you to disable/uninstall any apps you don't use, try to keep your product and apps up to date, don't download anti-virus/ram management/battery "improving" apps because Android doesn't need it and sometimes it can cause a negative affect. And well, that's about it I guess :P

Oh, and if you tap the android version a few times you get a cool easter egg! :o

And if you tap build number 7 or so times, you unlock developer options, the only thing I would recommend changing is the animations, set them all to 0.5 to make it feel faster :D

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#3 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:36 PM

• Google Now is your friend. Make sure to connect your google account (pretty much a given) 
  • Use widgets
  • Get the new chrome cast ($35 bucks) - connects to your TV via HDMI, stream apps and services from your tablet to it. Works wonders.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#4 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:46 PM

Find a forum specific to your tablet's manufacturer if possible, or a good generic forum (androidcentral is decent). They will be able to help with any oddballs that get thrown your way.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#5 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:29 PM

Find a forum specific to your tablet's manufacturer if possible, or a good generic forum (androidcentral is decent). They will be able to help with any oddballs that get thrown your way.

^This, I would recommend android forums for more of the average person type of questions and XDA if you want to get your hands dirty with things like rooting.

sfOI1m6.jpg

#6 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:56 AM

Just beware of Malware on the Google Play store.

The real good stuff costs money.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#7 Atticus

Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:24 AM

So what kind of security programs does it need?

#8 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:11 AM

So what kind of security programs does it need?

None.

sfOI1m6.jpg

#9 Atticus

Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:01 PM

None.

What about Malware like Tom said?

#10 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:40 PM

What about Malware like Tom said?

Just don't download any shady apps or go on any shady websites and you'll be fine.

sfOI1m6.jpg

#11 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:14 PM

If you really REALLY want a antivirus app, I'm pretty sure there is an Avast app for andrioid. I used to use it, but stopped because I didn't need it anymore. Typically, the malware/scamware is aparent. But I was using Avast when I was messing with custom launchers and fonts just in case.

#12 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:55 PM

I don't really know how well the antivirus software works. That again should be asked at the Android forums.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#13 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:55 AM

root it.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#14 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:39 PM

root it.

Only if you know what you're doing and are confident you can avoid malware that exploit rooted phones.

#15 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:33 PM

Only if you know what you're doing and are confident you can avoid malware that exploit rooted phones.

And your warranty gets void too.

Edited by YoshiGamer9, 27 October 2015 - 03:33 PM.

sfOI1m6.jpg

#16 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:52 PM

https://play.google.....poketoru&hl=en

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#17 Atticus

Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:26 AM

Well it's not that I WANT an anti-virus, I just wasn't sure if it was needed as I'm really new to Android. It doesn't sound like it would hurt to have it in case I guess. 

UPDATE: I sent back the super cheap under performing Android tablet and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. Really enjoying it. Apparently some seem to frown upon Touchwiz but I got no issues. Experienced stock Android on previous tablet.

Any suggestions for apps? (Maybe better versions of default apps to?)

#18 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:18 PM

Well it's not that I WANT an anti-virus, I just wasn't sure if it was needed as I'm really new to Android. It doesn't sound like it would hurt to have it in case I guess. 

UPDATE: I sent back the super cheap under performing Android tablet and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. Really enjoying it. Apparently some seem to frown upon Touchwiz but I got no issues. Experienced stock Android on previous tablet.

Any suggestions for apps? (Maybe better versions of default apps to?)

If you like browsing social media, Flipboard is a nice app especially on tablets.

#19 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:22 PM

Nova is a launcher replacement, and I highly recommend the payed version. Its brilliant.

Also go into developer options (enable by going into about phone and tapping the build number 7 or so times.) (there is also a Easter egg if you keep tapping the version number). then go scroll down to animation settings, set them all to .5x or how you like, makes it faster, or well seem faster.

You'll also likely want an app like Screen Dimmer / Twilight if your going to be using it in the dark. 

MX Player for videos is fantastic. A file manager would be good to have, I personally like File Wrangler but there are plenty of good choices. 

Get Google Opinion Rewards for free Play Store money. If you want you can download "Android Auto" and use the tablet as a dashboard for you car.

Any kinda apps you think you want, or types of games?

Stupid Snowmads!

#20 Atticus

Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:55 PM

Any kinda apps you think you want, or types of games?

Nothing in particular. Anyway suggestions are welcome.

Neat stuff. Got a $1.00 credit so far on the opinion surveys. lol.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Android

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!