Photo

The Wii U can, in theory, run the Samaritan demo.

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Shokio

Shokio

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Starfox, F-Zero, SSB

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

Before I get started, let me just make a few things clear. Everything I'm about to say is of course, speculation. I'm going off the assumption that the Wii U is indeed using a 4870 GPU and the Xbox 720 (or NextBox) is using a 6670. So I'm not trying to say "awesome look 100% comfirmed OMGZ" or anything like that lol. Again, this is all in-theory.

Also, I know, graphics aren't everything, but really we're all interested in the exact amount of power the Wii U will be packing. So this is just something to think about.

Now Epic recently came out and said that the Samaritan demo can be ran on hardware 10x more powerful than the 360. According to IGN's reports, the NextBox is 6x more powerful than the 360.

As I'm sure most of you have found out, the Wii U GPU, the 4870, is roughly 2x more powerful than the 6670 supposedly being used in the NextBox. In this case, that would mean that GPU-wise, the Wii U is 12x more powerful than the 360.

Memory Bandwidth: 115.2 GB/sec
FLOPS: 1200 GFLOPS
Pixel Fill Rate: 12000 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate: 30000 MTexels/sec

Memory Bandwidth: 64 GB/sec
FLOPS: 768 GFLOPS
Pixel Fill Rate: 6400 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate: 19200 MTexels/sec

So Epic has said that it takes 10 360's to run that demo in native 1080p, and if these rumors are true, the Wii U ends up over-achieving that number being 12x more powerful than the 360.

So in-theory, the Wii U might actually be able the Samaritan demo technology in 1080p. It's just something I realize and it's a pretty fun topic to speculate on. I wanna know what you guys think.

Edited by Shokio, 12 February 2012 - 05:55 PM.

• Zok likes this
Posted Image

#2 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, SSB, Mario etc.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

Why dont we just compare the Wii u to the xbox 360... Would be alot easier to find out for real instead of using unreliable rumors.

Posted Image

#3 Dant

Dant

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Wat? Not even current PCs have enough power for this demo @1080P, the only current gaming platform that can support this is Onlive. This demo isn't much more than Epic Games showing off that Unreal Engine 3 won't be obsolete for a very, very long time.

#4 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

Why dont we just compare the Wii u to the xbox 360... Would be alot easier to find out for real instead of using unreliable rumors.

Im confused what you mean Compare the wiiu to the 360?
Also with this rumor that doesnt mean much remember running doesnt mean playing their is no gameplay to that demo its just to put it relative like a futuremark benchmark you find on pcs

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 12 February 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#5 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

didnt the recent conference epic games have say that unreal engine 3 runs on wii u? or no? btw i think they mentioned that it was gameplay

Edited by hardcoreUfan, 12 February 2012 - 05:47 PM.

Signature_Fox.png

#6 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

What's the Samaritan demo?
Posted Image

#7 Shokio

Shokio

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Starfox, F-Zero, SSB

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Wat? Not even current PCs have enough power for this demo @1080P, the only current gaming platform that can support this is Onlive. This demo isn't much more than Epic Games showing off that Unreal Engine 3 won't be obsolete for a very, very long time.

3 GTX 580's in a PC are not the same thing as 3 GTX 580's in a console. You gotta remember that PC's are not optimized for gaming, so they require a lot more to do something while console can execute the same thing while requiring less. And of course, that technology running on a console would have to be scaled down a bit, but that's expected.

Edited by Shokio, 12 February 2012 - 05:54 PM.

Posted Image

#8 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

didnt the recent conference epic games have say that unreal engine 3 runs on wii u? or no? btw i think they mentioned that it was gameplay

Their is many versions of Unreal 3 its updated each month and can be run on Iphone to the 360/ps3 to next gen consoles to PCs.

#9 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Not true. The recently released radeon 7970 can smoke that demo at 1080p and 30fps
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#10 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Yea i think this actually possible and why would anyone compare a console to a cpu they function way differently as metioned above.

#11 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

What's the Samaritan demo?

Thats bad@$$

#12 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

They did say that the Samaritan demo isn't optimized and that with optimization they could run it on hardware about half as powerful.

Edited by NinjaShock, 13 February 2012 - 12:39 AM.

#13 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:50 AM

Before I get started, let me just make a few things clear. Everything I'm about to say is of course, speculation. I'm going off the assumption that the Wii U is indeed using a 4870 GPU and the Xbox 720 (or NextBox) is using a 6670. So I'm not trying to say "awesome look 100% comfirmed OMGZ" or anything like that lol. Again, this is all in-theory.

Also, I know, graphics aren't everything, but really we're all interested in the exact amount of power the Wii U will be packing. So this is just something to think about.

Now Epic recently came out and said that the Samaritan demo can be ran on hardware 10x more powerful than the 360. According to IGN's reports, the NextBox is 6x more powerful than the 360.

As I'm sure most of you have found out, the Wii U GPU, the 4870, is roughly 2x more powerful than the 6670 supposedly being used in the NextBox. In this case, that would mean that GPU-wise, the Wii U is 12x more powerful than the 360.

Memory Bandwidth: 115.2 GB/sec
FLOPS: 1200 GFLOPS
Pixel Fill Rate: 12000 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate: 30000 MTexels/sec

Memory Bandwidth: 64 GB/sec
FLOPS: 768 GFLOPS
Pixel Fill Rate: 6400 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate: 19200 MTexels/sec

So Epic has said that it takes 10 360 to run that demo in native 1080p, and if these rumors are true, the Wii U ends up over-achieving that number being 12x more powerful than the 360.

So in-theory, the Wii U might actually be able the Samaritan demo technology in 1080p. It's just something I realize and it's a pretty fun topic to speculate on. I wanna know what you guys think.

Dude....what....

A 4870 would NOT make Wii U 12x more powerful than 360! A 12x jump expectation for WIi U is completely unrealistic! It's even unrealistic for PS4/720.
Posted Image
See that? It takes a GPU with 2.5 TFLOPS to run Samaritan at 1080p 30fps.

We'd be lucky to get such GPUs from even PS4/720 in 2013.

It takes 4.4 times the power of 360 to run Samaritan in 720p and since PS4 & 720 will be no doubt be more powerful than that when they launch in 2013 (expecting 6 -8 x more pwoerful) they can run Samaritan at 720p all effects.

Wii U is expected to be 3 - 5x 360, so either it can run it at 720p reduced effects or sub-hd.

Don't get people's hopes up with false information.

Edited by Play4Fun, 13 February 2012 - 05:53 AM.

You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#14 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

I don't think it is false hopes, since you -- nor do I -- have any good idea what will be in the Wii U, Xbox 720 or PS4. Especially PS4 since there are no rumors. All we kn ow about the Wii U is that it has a multi-core IBM processor based off the tech in the Watson CPU (possibly a little brother to it, and directly related) and that it will have an insane amount of eDRAM (we don't know the amount, but it did state it will have a lot -- google for PR release). We also know the GPU is based off the HD Radeon video card, and we "know" it's based of 4870 series (which is the basis for the 5xxx Series, for reference ... which btw lead to the creation of the 6xxx Series). I say "know" because thats the RUMORED specs. Even if it is true -- it still doesn't tell us anything. Nintendo and ATi/AMD started at that point and moved forward, developing a card that fits Nintendo's needs. Since this is a next gen, it needs to be able to play any current gen tech and new gen tech (aka, this engine we see in this demo). It also needs to be economically sound. It can't be too crazy. And it needs to be low-heat, since we don't want over heating Wii U's. So, in theory, the Wii U could have something that looks like an Evergreen GPU or even a early Northen Islands GPU.

Now with the Xbox 720, we know even less. We don't even know it's name. We don't know what it will look like. We do know it will be developed by Microsoft, and that Foxxconn will probably manufacture the console. It probably will retain the Xbox name, with a possible name Loop or 720. Maybe it will be called Xbox Wizard.

Point is, we don't know what the 720 will be. And since we don't know a lot about Wii U, comparing it to the 360 because we know it's specs is odd. Why not compare rumor vs rumor? It makes just as much sense.

Anyway, I think the Wii U will be able to run the Samaritan Demo @ 1080p when all is said and done. I believe all next gen consoles will. Although we wont see graphics like that at launch, unless it's an exclusive or made by Nintendo (other developers will simply do ports upscaling the graphics for the first part of Wii U's life). Here is hoping we see Retro Studio's next game at launch.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#15 Dant

Dant

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

3 GTX 580's in a PC are not the same thing as 3 GTX 580's in a console. You gotta remember that PC's are not optimized for gaming, so they require a lot more to do something while console can execute the same thing while requiring less. And of course, that technology running on a console would have to be scaled down a bit, but that's expected.

Consoles aren't optimized for gaming either, they're optimized for cost, if that weren't the case all consoles would have 3x the amount of RAM they have now.

Looking back on it the Wii U has a chance of running this game, but this demo in particular has a much, much higher reliance on GPUCompute than any consumer program before this, not something ATI does quite as well as NVidia.

#16 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

The wii U is capable even for the new unreal engine that is under development.. So, it can do better than that.

#17 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

Their is many versions of Unreal 3 its updated each month and can be run on Iphone to the 360/ps3 to next gen consoles to PCs.

i knew it could be optimized and down graded but i didn't know this. thanks

Signature_Fox.png

#18 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

and the latest rumors, say that wii U changed chipset, something smaller and less power consumption.. Maybe 5xxx or 6xxx.. nobody knows. We will know that, when is out.. But it performs better.. 5870?? or 6850 (modified chip of course..) The big surprise is going to be, if wii U use a 7xxx chipset (the low end class), cant remember the code name of it.. 7750 something like that.. A very cheap card that performs equal to a 6870 but with half power consumption... This is going to be a surprise, if they do that. (I speculate this, because the rumor came after this card announced by amd, and this card smells console)

Edited by Orion, 13 February 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#19 Dant

Dant

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

The wii U is capable even for the new unreal engine that is under development.. So, it can do better than that.

Just because it can run a newer engine doesn't mean it can run this demo... CryEngine3 ran on consoles, which powered Crysis 2, but CryEngine2 was only on PC, and only PC got the highest graphics settings.

i knew it could be optimized and down graded but i didn't know this. thanks

Mind you that means that the engine can be run, not the demo, just to give you an example, someone a while ago made a Java interpreter for an Apple 2 computer (less power than a NES there) and yeah, it's Java, but it's slow as heck.

and the latest rumors, say that wii U changed chipset, something smaller and less power consumption.. Maybe 5xxx or 6xxx.. nobody knows. We will know that, when is out.. But it performs better.. 5870?? or 6850 (modified chip of course..) The big surprise is going to be, if wii U use a 7xxx chipset (the low end class), cant remember the code name of it.. 7750 something like that.. A very cheap card that performs equal to a 6870 but with half power consumption... This is going to be a surprise, if they do that. (I speculate this, because the rumor came after this card announced by amd, and this card smells console)

It's plausible given all the recent announcments of development delays. It's definatly not a 5000 series chipset, as the 6000 were just 5000s with a die shrink and lower power consumption (except for the 6950, 6970, and 6990).
Any 7000 series card right now would be financial suicide.

#20 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Well its the first time nintendo making a big step, so I speculated this from what MS and Sony did with 360 and ps3. 6XXX Series become discontinued, so may get better deals for the chips.. Either ways, 7750-7770 cost 130 dollars, cheaper than a retail 6870.. thats why I said that.

Edited by Orion, 13 February 2012 - 03:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!