wii U, Gamefly, and the next gen.

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

So I have some questions. Me personally I plan on buying two launch day games for Wii U. A first party title and maybe killer freaks from outer space depending on the final product presentation. With that said I plan on getting gamefly services for the rest of the console life cycle. So my question... How long does it take after a console launches for gamefly to get games in stock? Also there are crazy rumors about Microsoft and Sony putting anti used games tech in their next system. Wouldn't gamefly be considered used games? If this turns out to be true and Nintendo doesn't go that route wouldn't that give them an upper hand as gamers would be able to play used games on their system?

Your thoughts?

#2 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

Idk Personally but i have heard gamefly doesnt always have the games until weeks later but thats all i have heard about it . Im actually thinking about getting killer freaks too

Signature_Fox.png

#3 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario,and Star Fox.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

Gamefly is a touchy subject. It's a rental service, but you get to keep the game as long as you want, so technically that's keeping money out of the devs. Pockets. So yes, Gamefly technically is used games. If Nintendo is the only ones keeping used games viable, then logic says, as humans like to save money, that yes, they would be at an advantage.
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#4 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

Exactly!

I really hope any and Microsoft makes that dumb decision. Will make life easier for Nintendo next gen.

#5 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

Exactly!

I really hope any and Microsoft makes that dumb decision. Will make life easier for Nintendo next gen.

Speaking of which, There's rumors that Sony's going to do that too, but I doubt it.
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#6 Gameboysoadvance

Gameboysoadvance

Blooper

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

Speaking of which, There's rumors that Sony's going to do that too, but I doubt it.

Idk. Microsoft and Sony both lost alot of money on their consoles. I think both companies will probably do the same thing they did last time by releasing powerful graphic consoles, with the latest technologies at a loss; but this time they are figuring out a way to counter balance the loss per console and recoup those losses faster. So in a way it's sort of a smart move. Digital downloads are cheaper. Plus, if Sony is planning on making folks pay for an unlock code in order to activate a used game, it's a win win situation. It cuts out the middlemen(gamestop,gamefly,ect.....sorry but it does) and allows Sony to sell the same game twice. So look at it like this, if a game launches on ps4 for $50 new, and gamestop gets it used 2 weeks later, they are going to sell it for around 35-40 bucks. Sony and developers receive zero dollars from second hand sells. Gamestop gets all the money. Now, remove gamestop from the equation and replace them with Sony's anti-used game feature. Consumers would have to pay Sony for an unlock code for the used game that they have. The game will be unlocked, and Sony will get to pocket an additional 35-40 bucks on a game it all ready sold once. That brings the grand to of that game up from $50 to around $85-$90. Just imagine if that same one gets pass down by 3 or 4 people. That's 3 or 4 people more unlock codes Sony can sell. They can literally made hundreds of dollars of just 1 individual game. Ingenious. Ingenious.

Edited by Gameboysoadvance, 29 March 2012 - 10:27 AM.

#7 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Idk. Microsoft and Sony both lost alot of money on their consoles. I think both companies will probably do the same thing they did last time by releasing powerful graphic consoles, with the latest technologies at a loss; but this time they are figuring out a way to counter balance the loss per console and recoup those losses faster. So in a way it's sort of a smart move. Digital downloads are cheaper. Plus, if Sony is planning on making folks pay for an unlock code in order to activate a used game, it's a win win situation. It cuts out the middlemen(gamestop,gamefly,ect.....sorry but it does) and allows Sony to sell the same game twice. So look at it like this, if a game launches on ps4 for $50 new, and gamestop gets it used 2 weeks later, they are going to sell it for around 35-40 bucks. Sony and developers receive zero dollars from second hand sells. Gamestop gets all the money. Now, remove gamestop from the equation and replace them with Sony's anti-used game feature. Consumers would have to pay Sony for an unlock code for the used game that they have. The game will be unlocked, and Sony will get to pocket an additional 35-40 bucks on a game it all ready sold once. That brings the grand to of that game up from $50 to around $85-$90. Just imagine if that same one gets pass down by 3 or 4 people. That's 3 or 4 people more unlock codes Sony can sell. They can literally made hundreds of dollars of just 1 individual game. Ingenious. Ingenious.

This is true, but I doubt the legality of such a practice.

Back during the NES days, Nintendo sued Blockbuster for renting Video Games, saying it was like piracy. Blockbuster won the case, under the fact that they bought the copy of the game, and they could do what they want with said copy. It would be one thing to lock a game to an account, it's another to charge people to let them play what they already have. Even then, I'm sure the account locking is on VERY shaky ground.
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#8 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, SmashBros, F-Zero

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

Nintendo already has the upper hand. It will have a 1 to 2 year head start. WILL play used games and be backwards compatible. Plus Only reason anyone would get the 720 is for Halo 5 and 6....2 games woop dee doo. As for PS4 lol who ever wants that is just a moron.
[E3 2012] Nintendo gets it's throne back.

#9 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

Nintendo already has the upper hand. It will have a 1 to 2 year head start. WILL play used games and be backwards compatible. Plus Only reason anyone would get the 720 is for Halo 5 and 6....2 games woop dee doo. As for PS4 lol who ever wants that is just a moron.

I don't know, they might have some really good exclusives.
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#10 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

they will have really good exclusives im sure of it

Anyway on topic i have gamefly its really good. Say a game comes tommorrow and you wanted to rent it you would most likely recieve that game the day after 95% of the time. had gamefly a long time and i always get my games on time.

#11 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Criterion, Codemasters

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

Playstation has better exclusives than Xbox, so the PS4 is a better choice Next Generation. Don't know what will happen to Uncharted, but I'm sure The Last of Us won't disappoint, and I wonder if Sucker Punch will make another Infamous or if they will make a new IP. Wii U and PS4 are my Next-gen consoles of choice.

they will have really good exclusives im sure of it

Anyway on topic i have gamefly its really good. Say a game comes tommorrow and you wanted to rent it you would most likely recieve that game the day after 95% of the time. had gamefly a long time and i always get my games on time.

My cousin wasn't so lucky when he got Gamefly.

LordPickleton.png

#12 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

At the most, it'll break online multiplayer, the singleplayer experience will always be safe.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#13 EternalDeadman

EternalDeadman

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo,and Sony

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

I wouldn't be to concerned, if some of the next-gen consoles had a lock feature for used games. I never buy used games and also, I think the devs deserve that extra revenue, after all they did create the game. That's just me however.

Edited by EternalDeadman, 29 March 2012 - 06:38 PM.

3DS Friendcode:0688-5291-6191
3DS Username:Knightwing
PSN: EternalDeadman

#14 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

Playstation has better exclusives than Xbox, so the PS4 is a better choice Next Generation. Don't know what will happen to Uncharted, but I'm sure The Last of Us won't disappoint, and I wonder if Sucker Punch will make another Infamous or if they will make a new IP. Wii U and PS4 are my Next-gen consoles of choice.

Yep ps4/wiiu is my next gen choice as well.

What happened when he got gamefly? so far i dont know anybody who has had problems with it

#15 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

I wouldn't be to concerned, if some of the next-gen consoles had a lock feature for used games. I never buy used games and also, I think the devs deserve that extra revenue, after all they did create the game. That's just me however.

I have to agree with this. Services like Gamefly and stores selling used games just seem to be cheating the developer in my eyes. The only time I ever buy a used video game is I can't find a new copy at all.
Posted Image

#16 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

I have to agree with this. Services like Gamefly and stores selling used games just seem to be cheating the developer in my eyes. The only time I ever buy a used video game is I can't find a new copy at all.

dont agree. its just like netflix or video store. i personally love gamefly and they will have my business unless there prices go sky high.

#17 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

Microsoft said that they have no intrest in making 1st party exclusives. The only ones that come to mind are Kinect games.

Playstation only has Little Big Planet, Uncharted which is done and God Of War which....well I dont really know what the deal is about it. Those are the main ones that come to mind when you say Sony. Xbox has Halo and Gears Of War which is done lol. So yah Playstation has 1 more main exclusive then xbox lol.

#18 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

Microsoft said that they have no intrest in making 1st party exclusives. The only ones that come to mind are Kinect games.

Playstation only has Little Big Planet, Uncharted which is done and God Of War which....well I dont really know what the deal is about it. Those are the main ones that come to mind when you say Sony. Xbox has Halo and Gears Of War which is done lol. So yah Playstation has 1 more main exclusive then xbox lol.

you forgot infamous, jak and daxter, modnation,killzone,sly cooper, ect trust me sony has almost if not more franchises than nintendo.

#19 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Nope. If you ask a typical person what games come to mind with Sony...They will never have heard of Jak and Daxter I know I havent. Killzone maybe...but its a crap game. Infamous ehh I guess I can give you that one. Modnation....Never heard of it. and Sly Cooper is like God Of War it dropped off the planet.

Nintendo has Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, F-Zero, Kirby, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, just to name a few.

you forgot infamous, jak and daxter, modnation,killzone,sly cooper, ect trust me sony has almost if not more franchises than nintendo.

Edited by Nin_Stream, 30 March 2012 - 01:24 PM.

#20 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

There's Halo.... That's about it when it comes to "Hardcore."
For the record, I love Halo.
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!