13 replies to this topic

#1 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

-

Edited by BazzDropperz, 13 July 2014 - 08:36 PM.

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

Grey areas mean modding, homebrew, and other things.
They're against the contract you agree to when you turn on your console.
"Grey area" refers to them being neither fully legal or illegal, in the middle ground.

The reasoning behind most places who don't allow talk of these subjects is that it breeds a more seedy reputation, and may do more harm than good.
It's kind of an on-the-fence approach.

Go to gbatemp or similar forums to talk about modding, this one is for general wii u insanity while we wait for it to launch.

Edited by Nollog, 31 March 2012 - 11:05 PM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

Go to gbatemp or similar forums to talk about modding, this one is for general wii u insanity while we wait for it to launch.

For the time being, I agree. But once the Wii U comes out it will probably be the same as the 3DS Forums. Full of trolls and unfunny jokers wanting to get some likes by putting down the respected console.

(Not pointing any fingers or hating on the forums, mind you readers of this post)

Edited by Joshua, 01 April 2012 - 02:55 AM.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#4 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:28 AM

Really, I thought Grey Areas were places where Hybrids have possibly taken over...

No wait, my bad, that's Grey Territories.

Shoot, I was so close that time. Bugger.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

For the time being, I agree. But once the Wii U comes out it will probably be the same as the 3DS Forums. Full of trolls and unfunny jokers wanting to get some likes by putting down the respected console.

(Not pointing any fingers or hating on the forums, mind you readers of this post)

I think that's more of a moderation issue there.
I don't think it'd be as bad a problem here.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#6 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

The problem with allowing such discussions though, is that it can easily lead to discussing piracy and other things which definitely are illegal as it's not entirely clear exactly what is and isn't legal. Because of that, it's easier to simply prohibit any discussion of grey-zone material.

#7 AegisReflector

AegisReflector

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:
    Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:10 AM

I actually agree with talking about homebrewing and modding. It is a fascinating topic and not really an evil thing to spread around. It's just what the big greedy fatcats want you to think.

#8 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

so why not add more moderator's to keep a strict control over the conversation of grey area modding. i honestly beleive some things are worth discuss but eh i joined knowing what the rule's were so its understandable if they never change.

Only having one moderator on a forum with almost 1,500 people is pretty crazy to me though.

#9 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

...Aren't illegal. They have a huge community surrounding them with many people that would gladly be active members on this site. I really don't understand the reasoning behind not allowing people to talk about these subjects - many equivalent websites dedicated to particular consoles allow this. This ban on talking about modding is turning people away from this site, and making it a less interesting place. I'm fine with us not being allowed to talk about things that are illegal (for example drugs, hacking) but please consider lifting this ban - or at least talk to us about it.

The reason for the ban on such subjects is because Nintendo and their third-party developers generally frown upon hacking/modding/homebrew in general, and openly allowing such discussion might give the site negative points in their books and scare off potential advertisers.

I'm willing to make a few concessions, though, because of our high search engine rankings and position as the world's largest Wii U community. I'll lift that rule for now, and we'll see what kinds of discussions crop up as a result. Any discussion of ROM's/images or piracy would still be a strict taboo - you'll have to keep it exclusively to homebrew.

Just saying, trolling and putting down a console would get you suspended or banned here.

so why not add more moderator's to keep a strict control over the conversation of grey area modding. i honestly beleive some things are worth discuss but eh i joined knowing what the rule's were so its understandable if they never change.

Only having one moderator on a forum with almost 1,500 people is pretty crazy to me though.

Of those 1500+ members, somewhere between 100-150 or so are actually active. With 100-200 posts per day, moderating this place should not require a large staff team.

#10 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:51 AM

-

Edited by BazzDropperz, 14 July 2014 - 01:21 AM.

#11 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:58 AM

The reason for the ban on such subjects is because Nintendo and their third-party developers generally frown upon hacking/modding/homebrew in general, and openly allowing such discussion might give the site negative points in their books and scare off potential advertisers.

I'm willing to make a few concessions, though, because of our high search engine rankings and position as the world's largest Wii U community. I'll lift that rule for now, and we'll see what kinds of discussions crop up as a result. Any discussion of ROM's/images or piracy would still be a strict taboo - you'll have to keep it exclusively to homebrew.

Just saying, trolling and putting down a console would get you suspended or banned here.

Of those 1500+ members, somewhere between 100-150 or so are actually active. With 100-200 posts per day, moderating this place should not require a large staff team.

Ahh, feels good to see this.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#12 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

If you just want to mess around with the game like make stuff bigger/smaller or making it different colours, I think that's fine.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#13 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

If you just want to mess around with the game like make stuff bigger/smaller or making it different colours, I think that's fine.

eh?
You mean editing game code?
That'd probably fall more toward the piracy than homebrew, which is why the grey area rule was a good idea imo.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#14 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Suppose so.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!