Photo

The Wii U is 50% more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:55 PM

Nintendo won’t be sharing the technical specifications of the Wii U anytime soon. We’ll have to wait for a full teardown when the console releases for the juicy details. But as a very rough guide, an industry analyst shared that “Some of the developers we spoke to indicated to us that the console will have 50% more processing power compared to the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.”

That sounds pretty decent to me. Developers are still managing to wring more power out of the current systems, so 50% more power is plenty of room for developers to play with.

http://wiiublog.com/...ox-360-and-ps3/

#2 Jikayaki

Jikayaki

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

Nintendo won’t be sharing the technical specifications of the Wii U anytime soon. We’ll have to wait for a full teardown when the console releases for the juicy details. But as a very rough guide, an industry analyst shared that “Some of the developers we spoke to indicated to us that the console will have 50% more processing power compared to the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.”

That sounds pretty decent to me. Developers are still managing to wring more power out of the current systems, so 50% more power is plenty of room for developers to play with.

http://wiiublog.com/the-wii-u-is-50-more-powerful-than-the-xbox-360-and-ps3/

This isn't anything to really pay attention to. How exactly did they come up with that 50% figure. Most individuals don't understand squat about tech or how to judge how capable one chipset is compared to another. For all we know a few developers told them the Wii U has a 50% faster clock speeds. This was more or less expected in any of the predictions of Wii U's hardware and is in no way an indication of the chipsets raw power, but to the uninformed they may think Wii U is only 50% more powerful because of 50% faster clock speeds.

#3 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:26 PM

This isn't anything to really pay attention to. How exactly did they come up with that 50% figure. Most individuals don't understand squat about tech or how to judge how capable one chipset is compared to another. For all we know a few developers told them the Wii U has a 50% faster clock speeds. This was more or less expected in any of the predictions of Wii U's hardware and is in no way an indication of the chipsets raw power, but to the uninformed they may think Wii U is only 50% more powerful because of 50% faster clock speeds.

Would only 50% more powerful be bad. I think that is good. I don't see the next consoles from Sony or Microsoft to be no more than 75% more powerful. Being that is what the developer is saying only 50% could mean more as developers haven't even tap out the current gens power.

#4 TLink9

TLink9

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

Right now all we can do is speculate with the little info we have. Though it is fun eating and twisting the text.

#5 kwokings033

kwokings033

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

if the above statements are true, the WiiU BETTER have a GREAT online system. If it is similar to the PSN (free, friends list, nice games), I feel like the WiiU will do really well. It'll be considered like an XBOX 360 and PS3!

#6 Anthony Vaughn

Anthony Vaughn

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

If this is true, it has definitely amazed me that Nintendo has really worked on this system.

#7 SHADOW

SHADOW

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:39 PM

if the above statements are true, the WiiU BETTER have a GREAT online system. If it is similar to the PSN (free, friends list, nice games), I feel like the WiiU will do really well. It'll be considered like an XBOX 360 and PS3!

Dude it's Nintendo there online system is kinda bad, but I hope in wii u online system improves i think the online system won't be powerful as the ps3 or xbox 360
Posted Image

#8 Marik

Marik

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

Looking good.

#9 Marik

Marik

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:43 PM

Dude it's Nintendo there online system is kinda bad, but I hope in wii u online system improves i think the online system won't be powerful as the ps3 or xbox 360

Quit trolling. Don't you ever get tired?

#10 Jikayaki

Jikayaki

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:23 AM

Would only 50% more powerful be bad. I think that is good. I don't see the next consoles from Sony or Microsoft to be no more than 75% more powerful. Being that is what the developer is saying only 50% could mean more as developers haven't even tap out the current gens power.

It would be bad for long term third party support. Nintendo would potentially maintain support for the next one to two years it takes PS4 and Xbox Next to release and then they'd potentially lose support depending on Wii U's popularity. Still regardless the success of Wii may lead to Wii U maintaining better support even after Sony and Microsoft's next consoles hit, but Wii U would quickly end up in the same situation as far as support goes depending on what happens even potentially having a shorter lifespan than Wii depending on its popularity. I expect the next Xbox and Playstation to be five times as capable as their current incarnations at least. This would mean lower prices, smaller consoles, and profit earlier than this previous generation if not right away. That's close to the jump earlier rumors placed Wii U. Don't buy into nonsense both Xbox 360 and PS3 have been tapped out as far as raw capability. This is partly a limitation based on RAM, but still even with more RAM you couldn't get much more out of current HD consoles outside the possibility of PS3.

I don't know how they came up with the 50% more powerful figure is basically I don't think its wise to focus on this. For all I know this comes from a report that Nintendo's chipset runs 50% faster like I said or the CPU benchmarks at 350 gflops. At 350 gflops it would only have 50% more processing power than PlayStation 3's cell processor, but around 4x the processing power of Xbox 360's Xenon processor. If the processor is simply a tri or quad core CPU and not some strange architecture like the cell that would also mean roughly four times the general processing capability of current consoles. Then like I said most don't understand tech instead of single precision gflops developers may of given double precision gflops info. A figure of 120 gflops or 144 gflops doesn't look impressive unless you can distinguish whether its single precision gflops or double precision gflops. A figure of 120 gflops or 144 gflops would place Wii U around 50% more powerful than Xbox 360 depending on if you go with the real world benchmark figures or if you use the theoretical figure, but if instead of single precision gflops the figure is double precision gflops those same figures are 2 to 2.5 times as powerful as Xbox 360. An that's merely in double point precision operations we still would have to figure out the single precision gflops of the chip, which could vary greatly based on architecture. As an example Playstation 3's cell at best in real world figures has 15 gflops to a theoretical 17.2 gflops regarding double precision operations compared to the theoretical 230.4 single point precession gflops figure given to same chip.

#11 Tony Bradshaw

Tony Bradshaw

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:49 AM

Nintendo has made a point of fixing their internet features as they believe that was an area the Wii was lacking.

Posted Image
For all the latest Wii U News: http://wiiuupdates.com/

#12 raney150

raney150

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:00 AM

50% sounds very disappointing. Anything short of like 1,000% would sound disappointing. This is supposed to be a generational leap, not be slightly more powerful than the current one.

Although I don't know much about this stuff. Perhaps more processing power isn't proportional to how good graphics look.

Look at the difference between the PS2 and PS3
PS2 299Mhz processor
PS3 3 GHz processor
although the clock speed doesn't matter as much as the architecture, it still sounds really disappointing.

#13 Camcam281

Camcam281

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kid icarus, Mario kart, and OoT :)

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:52 AM

That's a pretty good thing to estimate right now, but as you said we need to wait for Nintendo to crawl out of their shell and give us the technical features, the overall performance of the console, and the power it possesses.Most likely that will happen before the month of July ends, so I guess guys, we wait! Again!
Posted Image

#14 raney150

raney150

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:01 AM

That's a pretty good thing to estimate right now, but as you said we need to wait for Nintendo to crawl out of their shell and give us the technical features, the overall performance of the console, and the power it possesses.Most likely that will happen before the month of July ends, so I guess guys, we wait! Again!

They haven't even released the specs for the 3DS so it may be a while lol.

#15 Tony Bradshaw

Tony Bradshaw

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:44 AM

50% sounds very disappointing. Anything short of like 1,000% would sound disappointing. This is supposed to be a generational leap, not be slightly more powerful than the current one.

Although I don't know much about this stuff. Perhaps more processing power isn't proportional to how good graphics look.

PS2 299Mhz processor
PS3 3 GHz processor
although the clock speed doesn't matter as much as the architecture, it still sounds really disappointing.

Wow the PS2 only had a 299Mhz processor? That sure is a big jump. However, I don't think you could expect the Wii U processor being 1,000% more powerful with a 30GHz processor, that technology doesn't even exist :)

Posted Image

#16 Jikayaki

Jikayaki

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:02 AM

Wow the PS2 only had a 299Mhz processor? That sure is a big jump. However, I don't think you could expect the Wii U processor being 1,000% more powerful with a 30GHz processor, that technology doesn't even exist :)

There may never be a 30GHz processor. Current trends are leading to numerous small less expensive cores and architecture redesigns that increase performance without increasing clock speed considerably.

#17 Tony Bradshaw

Tony Bradshaw

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:05 AM

Still waiting for that day when they release a processor that can be overclocked to 10GHz :) (Pretty sure the highest recorded overclocked chip is just over half that?)

Posted Image

#18 raney150

raney150

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:45 AM

Well clock speed is useless without good architecture.
The Wii U can have a slower clock speed, but have better architecture and more cores and be 10 times the power of a PS3.

#19 Ace

Ace

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:03 AM

http://wiiublog.com/the-wii-u-is-50-more-powerful-than-the-xbox-360-and-ps3/

What he said.

#20 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:13 AM

PS2 299Mhz processor
PS3 3 GHz processor

You can't expect a huge jump in technology like in the current generation. If Microsoft follows what Sony does then:
Sony CFO Masaru Kato commented, "It is no longer thinkable to have a huge initial financial investment like that of the PS3."
There is no great jump into the next gen consoles. But by them being better than current gen then they are next gen or rather I say that they are different makes them the next gen consoles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!