Photo

What sort of touch screen will the WiiU use?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Daniel

Daniel

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

I want it to be like the Vita's touchscreen. As far as touchscreens go, it's pretty good.

I'm not sure how well it would do with drawing, but it's my favorite touch screen to date.
I have one by me right now.
Well, resistive does have it's ups and downs.
I'll be happy if it's less laggy and I don't have to forcefully touch the screen.
At least a little improved, especially for using your fingers.
EDIT: Something in the middle would be great. (middle-ish)

Edited by DanielAello, 08 April 2012 - 08:50 AM.

#22 Blasty

Blasty

Spiny

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waaay to many to list.

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

I can almost guarantee it won't be a capacitive screen.
Posted Image

#23 Daniel

Daniel

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

Same here, considering it'll use a stylus.
I don't want a hardcore resistive though.
Maybe an easier to press resistive?
Just a little more resistive than usual.

#24 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

The fact that you can use the touchscreen as a drawing pad will automatically deny any thoughts of them using capacitive screens.
As for the multi-touch, as Hinkik mentioned, it is possible on a resistive screen as the Samsung Note has done it recently.

Hopefully Nintendo does this as almost EVERY touchscreen is multi-touch.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#25 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

The fact that you can use the touchscreen as a drawing pad will automatically deny any thoughts of them using capacitive screens.
As for the multi-touch, as Hinkik mentioned, it is possible on a resistive screen as the Samsung Note has done it recently.

Hopefully Nintendo does this as almost EVERY touchscreen is multi-touch.

True the drawing confirms it.

#26 Stewox

Stewox

Spiny

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

The LCD screen was probably not final

The detected resolution is 854x480 which is a pretty common FWVGA resoltion.
The LCD panel is 6.2 inch large

Calculating that you end up with a pretty good physical pixel density compared to a normal HDTV ... obviously needs this as it's being viewed up close.

1080p at 60": 37 (not meant to be viewed up close obviously!)
DSi XL: 76
Game Boy: 83
DSi: 98
1080p at 21.5": 102 (my monitor)
DS & DS lite: 107
3DS bottom screen: 128
PSP: 128
3DS top screen: 236 (because of the insane horizontal pixel density)
iPad 2: 132
PSP Go: 145
Wii U controller: 158 (assuming it's 854x480 at 6.2")
iPhone: 163
Vita: 221
iPhone 4: 326

By default this is not a bad looking screen in the beginning ... we got to see wiiu so early (2 E3s before release) ... i think we should be able to look on something like 720p rumors and the speculated quarter 1080p ... however i still do think that the resolution is low compared to what would you call HD and actually working a lot on the controllers screen with some finely tuned gameplay for specifics i think it can be a bit distracting especially when holding it as a gun when your eyes would have to be close to the screen out of the other situations.

That would be basic resolution - depends if the resolution is adjustable (not hard-locked) - then developers will have no problem at all adjusting the power of the hardware to focus where the action is - lowering the resolution when there is no much activity on the screen or some menus are displayed, which would technically be totally possible.

Another idea is to have priority on max responsiveness and performance of the video feed while the signal or console cannot keep up the resolution is lowered dynamically in real time ... I hope the freaking won't stop working if i step out of the living room and hopefully the Apps will still work.

The good news is ... this was SUPER early ... many things could change and one of them is the LCD panel hopefully with a choice for better resolution while the software wise can be choosable ... and that's the best way to do it, let the developers use either middle or high res or even low for max TV action.

Iphone4 gets that high density because it's much smaller screen with quarter-1080p (960 x 540)
And 3DS gets that for the 3D effect needs double the horizontal amount to accomodate both eyes.
http://golgotron.com...ution-revealed/

Edited by Stewox, 10 April 2012 - 08:25 AM.

Posted Image

#27 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

I want it to be like the Vita's touchscreen. As far as touchscreens go, it's pretty good.

Agreed... a capacative (OLED) screen with a decent physical texture to its surface and good point correction for multi-touch is actually very nice for gaming, though as several people have already pointed out, all the plans that have been mentioned have indicated a resistive, single-touch screen (ergo, the stylus).

Believe me people, you do NOT want a capacitive touchscreen for gaming.

Right... because NOBODY uses their iPhone for playing games... oh wait! :P

Seriously, though, the iPhone/iPad screen is (technically speaking) WAY more responsive than the DS variety of old, old, old resistive screens. It responds to a very light touch and can be incredibly precise (ask any Infinity Blade enthusiast).

I think gamers can easily get used to either style though, to be honest, so I'm not too worried about the WiiU controller in this department

#28 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Right... because NOBODY uses their iPhone for playing games... oh wait! :P

I never said nobody uses capacitive touchscreens to game, but rather you shouldn't because through my own experience.... it sucks. :P
But yea, everyone has their own preference and experience with the hardware.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#29 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

Gaminf on Ipods, and etc. is different because they have no buttons.

#30 Gameboysoadvance

Gameboysoadvance

Blooper

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

Nintendo going to make a killing on screen protectors:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!