Photo

To Capture the Gaming Enthusiast, Nintendo Needs Games that...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

... What?

I just don't think that amazing tech specs would do it... you couldn't make an affordable console that could approach what PCs are doing atm, even if you wanted to.

Like the recently made statement says, it's got to be the games... but what kind of games? Certainly 3rd party ports with marginally better graphics won't do it (why buy a whole new system so you can play the new Battlefield with a few more particle/lighting effects?).

Is it the HD versions of beloved franchises like Metroid and Zelda? Will that bring people to the big N (or bring them back)?

Is it a new 1st party IP? Some good 1st/2nd party exclusives?

I wonder this in all sincerity, as I often waver in my own resolve to pick the system up at launch. What kind of game would it take to put me in line on day one, happy to fork over my $400 for hardware + game?

At the moment, I think that in the absense of a serious reboot (i.e. full reimagining) of Zelda/Metroid/StarFox, it would take a rather epic new adventure game to capture me hook-line-and-sinker. I really want a fresh and compelling universe (no matter who it comes from) - one that I could only get on Nintendo's console; something as captivating as Uncharted, as addicting as Halo, but as polished and solid as Mario. Ninty has taken the risk before with games like Eternal Darkness... and I think it will take that kind of boldness to attract the gaming enthusiast.

What does everyone else think?

#2 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Miyamoto's new IP, perhaps? Monolith's next game (Xenoblade is amazing, after all)? A potential new IP from Retro?

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

They need games that make 14 year old boys feel like they own the world and are special and can blow things up.

That's for today's "hardcore gamer".
The rest of us just want a fun game.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Miyamoto's new IP, perhaps? Monolith's next game (Xenoblade is amazing, after all)? A potential new IP from Retro?

yeah, man... i totally forgot about Monolith for some reason. just the thought makes me stoked for the future. and I'm DYING for a new Retro IP!

They need games that make 14 year old boys feel like they own the world and are special and can blow things up.

That's for today's "hardcore gamer".
The rest of us just want a fun game.

yes, yes, you're clever in your satire :P and i certainly understand your point... but I don't want to write off those "14 year old boys" simply due to their conventionally touted narcicism! I mean, I like to blow things up too (and own the world, come to think of it)... aren't those valid avenues of enjoyment in video games, after all? I loved sim-city on the SNES, and Blast Corps was fun on the N64 because I got to blow things up. I played both smash bros. and goldeneye at college because I wanted to "own" my friends (and I had to break down and move on to Halo when it came along because Nintendo wasn't willing to continue pushing into new territory on this road... though they made what I consider to be the best first steps of anyone).

I doubt that you yourself have criteria as simple as "a fun game"... right? I mean, what kind of game do you like to play? What would make you run out to buy a new console that you hadn't planned on purchasing already?

I just think that, if Nintendo wants to reach a broad range of gaming enthusiasts, it will need "fun games" of both the endearing-characters-in-charming-environments-trying-to-solve-engaging-puzzles variety, as well as the intense-sci-fi-ownage-with-big-explosions-and-stuff variety.

#5 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

Yes, Nintendo is cool with me.

They just need one realistic looking franchise.

#6 dagwood dang

dagwood dang

Thwomp

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Elder Scrolls, LoZ

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Well the most unique feature on the Wii U is obviously going to be the screen on the controller. I'd really like to see developers take full advantage of this, as well as the other features within the controller.

Of course, things like maps and gauges are a bit of a given, but combining the extra screen with the gyros and accelerometers could make for some awesomesauce.

Take Ghost Recon for example:
You throw your little flying drone in the air to survey the area. Your drone's pov camera feeds to your Wii U controller, while your character is chilling on the big screen. The drone could be driven in a variety of ways:
One way is with the circle pads, while moving the wii controler to change the angle of the drones pov camera.
Another way could be touch screen style, tapping the drone's destination on the controller, and as it travels, you could still adjust the drones camera angle by moving the controller, freeing up the circle pads so that your character could still fight.

The developers just need to be really creative and utilize the heck out of that controller.

#7 Blasty

Blasty

Spiny

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waaay to many to list.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

I'm going to have to agree with Nollog. I just want a fun game to play, nothing more, and nothing less.
Posted Image

#8 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

I want a diversity of games, because everybody has a different definition of fun. I have fun with Mario to God of War to Zelda to Uncharted.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#9 Reaper Pin

Reaper Pin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Legend of Zelda Etc.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

They Need Kingdom Hearts III

Need it.
Posted Image

#10 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

They Need Kingdom Hearts Trilogy

Need it.

Fixed. :P

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#11 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

While I'd like the Wii U to be a powerhouse, I'm more interested in the type of games it will have.
Good games easily justify mediocre hardware for me.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#12 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

I want a diversity of games, because everybody has a different definition of fun. I have fun with Mario to God of War to Zelda to Uncharted.

agreed, and I think this is the hope for me as well. perhaps the true gaming enthusiasts are the ones who have replied consistently that they really just want a fun game from any genre, and I really respect that, too. I think I, personally, tend to be a "mood" gamer who wants the title I'm playing to match a particular theme that i'm currently "in to"... and I think I was wondering where the real pulse is in gaming, and what would bring these dedicated gamers to the new console in droves (because I want to see the new system succeed)

#13 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

To capture the Gaming Enthusiast you need many Genres like.

*Super fast Sci Fi racers
*Realistic racing sims
*Quake/unreal style first person shooters (I miss those)
*Realistic Modern Arena Shooter
*Tactical First person shooters
*Tactical Third person shooter.
*Modern Arena Style Third person shooter.
*Stealth base games.
*2D platformer
*3d Platformer
*Space ship 2d shoot them ups
*Airplane Games
*RTS games
*Western RPGS
*JRPGS
*Fantasy Adventure games
*Sports games (Meh only Genre in these listings I don't like unless its wrestling games I have fun with those)
*puzzle games
*Adventure Games

These are the type of games you need to Capture the Gaming Enthusiast as well as these genres being in large amounts .
Any other question Class?
Notice I didn't use Hardcore or Casual in any of these Genres descriptions,

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 14 April 2012 - 09:56 AM.

#14 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

Quote:
This is what Nintendo posted after E3 2011.

Regarding your analysis that cooperation with third-party software developers didn't go as well for Wii as it went for Nintendo DS, there actually are some arguments which attribute the reason to the system’s "performance," but in terms of "performance," Nintendo DS did not overwhelm other devices by its performance. However, it proposed what other devices could not, and that value was recognized, and as a result the software sold well, which is the most important point. Unfortunately, there are very few success stories of third-party software in Japan on Wii. This lowered the motivation of the software developers, and at a time when these software developers should have been running their businesses on the platform with the biggest installed base, this wasn't the reality. On the contrary, in the U.S., several titles sold well. Not only "JUST DANCE," which I introduced today, but for some titles, such as "Guitar Hero," even if the titles were released for multiple platforms, the Wii version sold the most, and in such a situation, the developers did not completely lose motivation for development on Wii. However, Wii is good in some areas but not in others, so especially for games like "Call of Duty," the Wii version sold pretty well, but the unit sales were very different from the versions of other platforms, and I assume that one of the reasons is the issue with the graphical representations which you mentioned before, and also, the consumers who like that kind of game will have other platforms at home as well, which led to this result. Of course, we would like to cooperate with software developers for Wii's successor, and as I am repeatedly saying, I don't believe Nintendo can carry out everything alone. I am saying that we are responsible for building up the market, but I don't think that Nintendo can maintain the market alone; We are aiming for creating a situation where software publishers will be willing to cooperate.

http://www.nintendo.....0629qa/02.html

Quote:
However, I do not think that the Wii U will be in widespread use all over the world only with Nintendo software. Currently, in the western countries especially, war-themed gun-shooting games, which are not well-received in Japan, are very popular. It is a reality that some of these games sell 10 million units per year in those markets, and this is one valid type of video game genre. I would personally feel sad if all video games became something like that, but on the other hand, I do not think such games should disappear. Both (Nintendo software for everyone and gun-shooting games) are video games, so our aim for the Wii U is for it to be a console where various people can enjoy what they want to enjoy at their own discretion. Therefore, we have been talking to major overseas software publishers who are good at developing such games, and through our communication, we have received very positive comments from them (on the development on the Wii U). So we believe such software publishers will proactively develop software for the Wii U, and we think we can dispel the concerns you mentioned earlier by the time of its launch.

#15 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

To capture the Gaming Enthusiast you need many Genres like.

*Super fast Sci Fi racers
*Realistic racing sims
*Quake/unreal style first person shooters (I miss those)
*Realistic Modern Arena Shooter
*Tactical First person shooters
*Tactical Third person shooter.
*Modern Arena Style Third person shooter.
*Stealth base games.
*2D platformer
*3d Platformer
*Space ship 2d shoot them ups
*Airplane Games
*RTS games
*Western RPGS
*JRPGS
*Fantasy Adventure games
*Sports games (Meh only Genre in these listings I don't like unless its wrestling games I have fun with those)
*puzzle games
*Adventure Games

These are the type of games you need to Capture the Gaming Enthusiast as well as these genres being in large amounts .
Any other question Class?
Notice I didn't use Hardcore or Casual in any of these Genres descriptions,

Edited by Sportsgamer, 14 April 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#16 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im_5QdHp04E"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=im_5QdHp04E[/url]

Meh its really isn't a genre I like I could never get into them other than smackdown vs Raw games and that partially because I can create Albert Wesker from Resident Evil in them.

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 14 April 2012 - 12:42 PM.

#17 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

Meh its really isn't a genre I like I could never get into them other than smackdown vs Raw games and that partially because I can create Albert Wesker from Resident Evil in them.

Those are the worst. I bet you haven't even tried most of them.

#18 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

I do agree Nintendo and their collection of developers will not be able to make all kinds of games. This where third parties come in, and Nintendo are definitively trying to get more third party support for the console. However will the third party companies complete there end is the question.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#19 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Those are the worst. I bet you haven't even tried most of them.

I'm not a fan of that Genre so duh I haven't played most of them I don't see why this is such a big deal but if you wan't to know these are the sports games I played.(not sure if I get the names right been so long with some of these),
Sega sports NFL 2k (dreamcast)
Sega sports NFL 2k1(dreamcast)
Sega sports NHL 2k1(dreamcast)
Sega sports KHl 2k(dreamcast)
The new game Vitual Tennis
Fifa 10
Madden NFL 10 and tiny bit of 11 (at a friends house.)

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 14 April 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#20 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:35 AM

specs matter, i give u an example, if wii for example, could give me the same graphical quality as my gtx480 in my games, I DONT SPEAK about frames per second, just the quality, I wouldnt mind about specs..

games and gameplay belongs to game developers, NOT nintendo itself.. Whats they point to buy something more expensive (multiplatformed game) and less... less in all quality aspects.. I dont speak about exclusives. Only fan lovers of a specific company, could sacrifice quality over brand. I am honnest, I quited consoles more than 2 years now.. I have a bigger preference in nintendo products, because I grow up with gameboy and snes, and they are excellent built quality! I have a fetish with built quality.

Edited by Orion, 15 April 2012 - 01:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!