• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:09 AM

Ι ve made a research and crisis 1 was pc game.. crisis 2 was console game (thats why the graphics where a bit minor, till they released an extra patch for it to improve graphics) and crisis 3 is original pc game again.. rolled back.

#42 AegisReflector

AegisReflector

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:
    Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

See, the thing with these kinds of topics is that the damn console hasn't even been released yet and people are saying either WiiU blows because of it's specs or WiiU rocks because of it's specs, when the actual spec report hasn't even been released yet either. We won't truly know until the WiiU comes out, and even then, we still have to wait another year or so before PS4 and 720 get their chance in the spotlight. I can actually speculate on what the system would BE like, but most of you guys are already on the bandwagon and saying statements like "WiiU DEFINITELY will trample Sony and Microsoft" without even experiencing the actual consoles yet. This is why debates like these are pointless and ends up going nowhere.

#43 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

Well we have had some feedback from developers and PR people at publishers. The developer leaks state a console a bit below 360/PS3 overall, the PR statements predict something about equal to possibly more powerful but then PR people will mainly oversell a product. Something like the killer freaks footage which is being developed on a wii u development system looks a bit weak compared to ps3/360. All indications are a console with more memory than ps3/360, a superior optical drive to 360, a weaker gpu and possibly a cpu that could be anything upto a quadcore 3ghz powerpc chip although I personally think it might go well below this like a 2 or 3ghz dual core chip because I think they may try to incorporate the cpu on the same silicon as the gpu. However I've got my fingers crossed here that we are going to get a quadcore 3ghz powerpc chip.

I think this is perfectly reasonable based on the console costing about $299 in the states, featuring a expensive controller, a small console with limited cooling ability and Nintendo's need to sell it at a profit. The wii, DS series, 3DS are all very underpowered compared to the competition and have been very successful. I see no reason for Nintendo to break their old habits. I'm near certain the wii U will be at least underpowered a bit in gpu terms overall compared to 360/PS3.

To be honest I've not read one explanation anywhere how Nintendo could fit a powerful GPU into the small form factor of the wii u console. Its only going to be using a small fan like the original wii. Most of the case is going to be occupied with slot loading high density optical drive.

Lastly gearbox stated that the wii u has more memory and more cpu power, where as the developer leaks stated weak gpu. Neither of these statements conflict with each other.

Its cpu power and memory that govern how complex a world is, which is where the wii u does well and its the gpu that governs how well that world is presented and in this case the wii U may be a bit weak so not quite having the ability to match 360/PS3.

So Skyrim for example could have slightly simplified graphics on wii U but have a better physics engine, better frame rates, better a.i etc.

To be honest when you look at a game like Skyrim on the 360 for example it looks amazing, very beautiful, I could happily play that game with slightly inferior graphics especially if it meant higher frame rates etc.

Do people even want a console that is $450 etc that is more technically powerful instead of a lower power model at $300? It would only mean less people buy the console and less games get developed. Its in our interest that Nintendo make a profit and can afford to develop their brilliant games on the console.

Also for cartoon graphics you don't need such a powerful gpu anyway. A mario game will not need sophisticated texturing or lighting. Considering the sort of games that Nintendo develop why do they need a state of the art gpu? Surely better to concentrate on memory and cpu power anyway which can be utilised fully by all games?

#44 InsaneLaw

InsaneLaw

Blooper

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Fandom:
    All

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

Actually, Desert Punk, all those comments you made about it being weaker were anonymous, and therefore can't be taken seriously at all. If anything, all developers have said is that the system is stronger than the current gen consoles.

I mean what person who knows what they're talking about comes out and says "Oh the graphics (yeah, not GPU) are weaker", it sounds to me like they've tried to port straight over from one of the current systems, and haven't even begun to optimise their engine because they've only ever developed for one system.

#45 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

Desert paw. stulaw90 is right... You statement is only by anonymous, but the oficial statements speak about a true next gen system.. What I write here, is for what IBM mostly said... and we create a model arround that.

There is also a couple of anonymous posts, that wii U is xbox - xbox360 difference between the current generation.. and thats a big step forwrd... but lets see the facts, not the anonymous topics...

Edited by Orion, 23 April 2012 - 06:05 AM.

#46 Abdullah Bin Mustajab

Abdullah Bin Mustajab

Goomba

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

Well we have had some feedback from developers and PR people at publishers. The developer leaks state a console a bit below 360/PS3 overall, the PR statements predict something about equal to possibly more powerful but then PR people will mainly oversell a product. Something like the killer freaks footage which is being developed on a wii u development system looks a bit weak compared to ps3/360. All indications are a console with more memory than ps3/360, a superior optical drive to 360, a weaker gpu and possibly a cpu that could be anything upto a quadcore 3ghz powerpc chip although I personally think it might go well below this like a 2 or 3ghz dual core chip because I think they may try to incorporate the cpu on the same silicon as the gpu. However I've got my fingers crossed here that we are going to get a quadcore 3ghz powerpc chip.

I think this is perfectly reasonable based on the console costing about $299 in the states, featuring a expensive controller, a small console with limited cooling ability and Nintendo's need to sell it at a profit. The wii, DS series, 3DS are all very underpowered compared to the competition and have been very successful. I see no reason for Nintendo to break their old habits. I'm near certain the wii U will be at least underpowered a bit in gpu terms overall compared to 360/PS3.

To be honest I've not read one explanation anywhere how Nintendo could fit a powerful GPU into the small form factor of the wii u console. Its only going to be using a small fan like the original wii. Most of the case is going to be occupied with slot loading high density optical drive.

Lastly gearbox stated that the wii u has more memory and more cpu power, where as the developer leaks stated weak gpu. Neither of these statements conflict with each other.

Its cpu power and memory that govern how complex a world is, which is where the wii u does well and its the gpu that governs how well that world is presented and in this case the wii U may be a bit weak so not quite having the ability to match 360/PS3.

So Skyrim for example could have slightly simplified graphics on wii U but have a better physics engine, better frame rates, better a.i etc.

To be honest when you look at a game like Skyrim on the 360 for example it looks amazing, very beautiful, I could happily play that game with slightly inferior graphics especially if it meant higher frame rates etc.

Do people even want a console that is $450 etc that is more technically powerful instead of a lower power model at $300? It would only mean less people buy the console and less games get developed. Its in our interest that Nintendo make a profit and can afford to develop their brilliant games on the console.

Also for cartoon graphics you don't need such a powerful gpu anyway. A mario game will not need sophisticated texturing or lighting. Considering the sort of games that Nintendo develop why do they need a state of the art gpu? Surely better to concentrate on memory and cpu power anyway which can be utilised fully by all games?

You are so wrong it's not even funny.

Watch that and shed some wisdom into your skull.

Edited by Abdullah Bin Mustajab, 23 April 2012 - 07:57 AM.

#47 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

See, the thing with these kinds of topics is that the damn console hasn't even been released yet and people are saying either WiiU blows because of it's specs or WiiU rocks because of it's specs, when the actual spec report hasn't even been released yet either. We won't truly know until the WiiU comes out, and even then, we still have to wait another year or so before PS4 and 720 get their chance in the spotlight. I can actually speculate on what the system would BE like, but most of you guys are already on the bandwagon and saying statements like "WiiU DEFINITELY will trample Sony and Microsoft" without even experiencing the actual consoles yet. This is why debates like these are pointless and ends up going nowhere.

QFT... while my GUESSES are certainly more in Desert Punk's realm, at the end of the day they are only guesses and nothing more... and it's healthy for me to remember that. All the logic and analysis of factual possibility in the world (or all the wishful thinking and selective quoatation of 'sources' in the world, for that matter) will not arrive at any kind of cartesian certainty about the WiiU's specs. For all we know, Nintendo could still decide to sell us a $600 console with a totally different enclosure design, which would feasibly allow them to include some high-end hardware (for a console)...

Now... for Nin_Stream's comments... I agree that Red Steel 2 and MadWorld both suited the Wii's abilities very well (as did Okami, WiiSports and a handful of others), which is why I mentioned the Skyward Sword example in the vain hope that readers would take the time to try to hear what I was saying before going into beast mode. Sure, the AI in MadWorld stinks and Red Steel 2 has some pretty severe frame-rate issues, but the cell-shaded look worked very well for the Wii, and I wish more developers had gone in that direction.

My original point was not that developers can't work within limitations... they've been doing that since the very beginning! My point was that there are many, many types of games out there with many different graphical styles, and a system hoping to achieve widespread acceptance should aim to create the kind of hardware that will support these games and these graphical styles. I repeat, there is nothing INHERENTLY wrong with liking Call of Duty. I personally do not enjoy it... but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with it. Some of the COD games have an engaging storyline in campaign and a fast-paced, tightly-built multiplayer component that competitive players really, really enjoy.

Here's the deal. I only ever owned Nintendo systems until I left for college (NES through N64), and I bought EVERY system (handhelds included). My brother bought a GameCube when I was at college, and I came home and played that on weekends too. I never got into Halo during the college days, even though it was all the rage, because I still preferred Smash Bros. when it came to competitive multiplayer fun, and I was loyal to the big N.

But it was the Xbox360 that brought me back to gaming after my college days were done (with no peer influence, as none of my adult friends play games). It was Gears of War that filled me with the same awe and wonder at where games could take you - narratively and experientially - that I hadn't experienced since Mario64. Aesthetic complexity is a valid component of enjoyment in interactive media, as is the compelling mechanics of hitting cover hard and laying down suppresive fire so that your brother (who is playing with you cooperatively) can flank a hardened enemy position. Man, stuff like this is why we play games, just as much as the endearing characters, deep exploration, and head-scratching puzzles in a game like Zelda are why we play games. Have you ever just stared at some of the buildings in the first GoW game, as the dust swept across the ruined landscape and sun filtered through the cracks in the windows? The point is that you can like both (or even just one) without villifying the other.

If Nintendo is trying to draw in a large variety of gamers, it needs to pay attention to what a large variety of gamers want, and to provide a system that will accomodate them. That is all I'm saying.

#48 The Last Mellon

The Last Mellon

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Actually, I think it would be nice if the Wii U didn't have any increase in graphical power. Nintendo is very much a company driven by their history and nostalgia. I think that having low graphical power is one of the best ways to give the players this feeling of nostalgia. Also, by not being very powerful, we get a much cheaper console. The Wii has shown that being cheaper than the competition is one of the most important factors when determining the success of a console.
Problem?

glad you don't work for nintendo LOL. I do see what you mean but graphics are sort of like the icing on the gameplay cake. for example skyward sword is one of my favorite games on wii but imagine if it was 1080p I mean wow what more could you want from a game?
Posted Image

#49 Gnomishek

Gnomishek

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

What does it matter what hardcore gamers play?
They're the people who have been playing games for more than 3 years, and not just because their friends do it.

I don't get what you were trying to say. Next time try to make your statement look a bit sensible. Please.

Молоту войн и рокоту гроз вольные рати верны, где ветром могучим из братины звёзд рунные стяги пьяны.

#50 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:55 AM

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ5KXO4hQ8k&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.c...feature=related[/url]

I've read many of your posts, even posts where you show footage of games falsely claiming they are from the wii U. I'm trying to be realistic about the wii U. Who does it serve to pretend the console will be more powerful than it is. I believe what I believe based on the evidence that is available and the past history of Nintendo and how they operate. I don't attack your posts even though I feel they are completely wrong but lets just see what unfolds. We both have our positions and in time we will see who is wrong and who is right.

#51 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

I've read many of your posts, even posts where you show footage of games falsely claiming they are from the wii U. I'm trying to be realistic about the wii U. Who does it serve to pretend the console will be more powerful than it is. I believe what I believe based on the evidence that is available and the past history of Nintendo and how they operate. I don't attack your posts even though I feel they are completely wrong but lets just see what unfolds. We both have our positions and in time we will see who is wrong and who is right.

I must say.... I can't stop staring at your profile pic.

Anyway.... Who does it serve to pretend the console will be weaker than it is? Nintendo's past shows that they have smart marketing and great innovative ideas. The Wii was the only console they cheaped out on with a weak CPU and GPU. If Nintendo doesn't put enough power into the Wii U, it won't attract the core/hardcore gamers that Nintendo wants back. They'll just stick to their Nextboxs and PS4s. Nintendo needs to do a balance of power and innovation.

A little off topic here:
I can't stand when people side with which one is more important: Graphics or Gameplay
If you don't make the graphics bearable, it will turn away potential consumers.
If you don't make the gameplay fluid, it will cause returned games.

Posted Image

#52 DigitalGreenTea

DigitalGreenTea

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Fandom:
    Star Fox

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

THQ: “Wii U is a lot more powerful than current HD consoles, it does 1080p very easy.”

Epic: “It will do things current HD consoles simply can't do, it's going to be a powerful box.”

Crytek: “Wii U devkits are very powerful, the specs are very good.”

Vigil Games: “We had the game at the same level as high end pc version in a matter of days and a few lines of code got the game up and running on the tablet in 5 mins.”

EA: “Wii U is not a transitional platform, it is a true next generation system.”

Edited by DigitalGreenTea, 24 April 2012 - 07:22 AM.

Posted Image

DGT - The Nintendo Enthusiast

#53 InsaneLaw

InsaneLaw

Blooper

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Fandom:
    All

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

THQ: “Wii U is a lot more powerful than current HD consoles, it does 1080p very easy.”[/background]

Epic: “It will do things current HD consoles simply can't do, it's going to be a powerful box.”[/background]

Crytek: “Wii U devkits are very powerful, the specs are very good.”[/background]

[Vigil Games: “We had the game at the same level as high end pc version in a matter of days and a few lines of code got the game up and running on the tablet in 5 mins.”

I cant find this quote anywhere in actual news articles, where'd you get it from?

#54 DigitalGreenTea

DigitalGreenTea

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Fandom:
    Star Fox

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

I cant find this quote anywhere in actual news articles, where'd you get it from?

Those quotes are from THIS forum. http://thewiiu.com/t...onymous-source/
Here, look for a member called Meelow1000

Posted Image

DGT - The Nintendo Enthusiast

#55 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

Graphics from Red Steel 1 and 2 were great and Mad World.

Not to mention the graphics from Monster Hunter Tri, Super Smash Bros Brawl, the two Galaxy games, and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

I could probably name more if asked.

I don't get what you were trying to say. Next time try to make your statement look a bit sensible. Please.

I believe what he's trying to say is hardcore gamers are the gamers that don't buy a system and a game that everybody else plays, just because everybody else plays it, or in other words to be "cool."

A real hardcore gamer is one that plays the heck out of the games he does get, does everything he can, and plays whatever games he wants because that's what he enjoys, and screw whatever anybody else thinks.

Amirite?

Edited by GameCollector, 24 April 2012 - 07:41 AM.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#56 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ5KXO4hQ8k&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.c...feature=related[/url]

You know somehow when Reggie said that "Graphics won't be an excuse" I was worried because you know, knowing Nintendo's mindset lately, this would probably mean "on par with next gen consoles". But later on he said "latest technology", that cheered me up again.

Things developers said also make it seem the Wii U will have true next-gen graphics and it would be logical because it is a next-gen console. But I can't help to be sceptic and it's the best thing if we are: we could only be positively surprised instead of being dissapointed.
No sig.

#57 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, SmashBros, F-Zero

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Yes those are fantastic. I was just naming 3rd party ones cause 1st party is always phenominal.

Not to mention the graphics from Monster Hunter Tri, Super Smash Bros Brawl, the two Galaxy games, and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

I could probably name more if asked.

I believe what he's trying to say is hardcore gamers are the gamers that don't buy a system and a game that everybody else plays, just because everybody else plays it, or in other words to be "cool."

A real hardcore gamer is one that plays the heck out of the games he does get, does everything he can, and plays whatever games he wants because that's what he enjoys, and screw whatever anybody else thinks.

Amirite?

[E3 2012] Nintendo gets it's throne back.

#58 Flyastarship

Flyastarship

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Ummm my biggest concern is: Will it be able to play dvd's I saw in 1 of the trailers for the Wii U's menu it showed what looked like a dvd channel. I was expecting that when the Wii came out it would be able to play movies like the Xbox360 can or ps3. Nintendo should've already been looking over their shoulders. Too make a great Wii, but I was dissapointed. So if the menu trailer is not a lie I would like 2 know. thank u.

Ummm my biggest concern is: Will it be able to play dvd's I saw in 1 of the trailers for the Wii U's menu it showed what looked like a dvd channel. I was expecting that when the Wii came out it would be able to play movies like the Xbox360 can or ps3. Nintendo should've already been looking over their shoulders. Too make a great Wii, but I was dissapointed. So if the menu trailer is not a lie I would like 2 know. thank

#59 InsaneLaw

InsaneLaw

Blooper

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Fandom:
    All

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

Ummm my biggest concern is: Will it be able to play dvd's I saw in 1 of the trailers for the Wii U's menu it showed what looked like a dvd channel. I was expecting that when the Wii came out it would be able to play movies like the Xbox360 can or ps3. Nintendo should've already been looking over their shoulders. Too make a great Wii, but I was dissapointed. So if the menu trailer is not a lie I would like 2 know. thank u.

Ummm my biggest concern is: Will it be able to play dvd's I saw in 1 of the trailers for the Wii U's menu it showed what looked like a dvd channel. I was expecting that when the Wii came out it would be able to play movies like the Xbox360 can or ps3. Nintendo should've already been looking over their shoulders. Too make a great Wii, but I was dissapointed. So if the menu trailer is not a lie I would like 2 know. thank

Which trailer are you talking about? I don't think there's been any pictures of the menu.

Edited by Stulaw90, 27 April 2012 - 11:09 AM.

#60 Jakester897

Jakester897

Spiny

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, puzzle games, Pikmin

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Can you specify where you saw that? I don't remember seeing anything of the sort. In fact, we only recently saw true gameplay footage for the first time.
Posted Image
What we do is, if we ever need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
We put the volume up to eleven. One louder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!