• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

well its the truth, its funny, a small example is 2 days ago, I read a video game article, with a four year old arab boy, who killed his father with his fathers gun, because he didnt bought him a playstation... :o

Spoiler
Anyway, enough with that...

Edited by Orion, 26 April 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#62 ShadowVector

ShadowVector

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

I'm hopeful the cpu power will be greater but I'm expecting the gpu to be weaker in some regards mainly in polygon output, texturing, lighting etc.

Many articles have already stated that Nintendo would have to literally go out of their way to produce graphics lower then, or even comparable to that of PS360. Those components are either no longer supported or they are dirt cheap, possibly costing less to produce now then the components used in Wii when it was new.

And remember, Wii, despite being the weakest of the current consoles was still a step up in terms of graphics from the previous generation. So even if Nintendo wanted to make another "graphically-weak" console like Wii, which they are not going to do, it would still at the very least have better graphics then PS360.

Check out my artworks thread here on the forums

Follow me on 120px-Deviantart_logo.png

#63 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:45 AM

Many articles have already stated that Nintendo would have to literally go out of their way to produce graphics lower then, or even comparable to that of PS360. Those components are either no longer supported or they are dirt cheap, possibly costing less to produce now then the components used in Wii when it was new.

And remember, Wii, despite being the weakest of the current consoles was still a step up in terms of graphics from the previous generation. So even if Nintendo wanted to make another "graphically-weak" console like Wii, which they are not going to do, it would still at the very least have better graphics then PS360.

wii and gamecube have practically identical gpus, its just one is run at 160mhz and the wii at 240mhz. The wii gpu still has exactly the same limit on 2meg frame buffer and 1 meg texture cache etc. Also remember the wii U gpu will feature either a wii compatibility mode for its gpu or it will duplicate the whole wii gpu within the wii u gpu and have some sort of switching process like the 3DS has between its pica gpu and the ds mali gpu.

They wouldn't have to go out of their way at all to achieve a lower gpu performance. In fact in costcutting terms a lower performance gpu saves them money. It will mean a smaller silicon footprint and the possibility to integrate it into a major chip with perhaps the cpu, cpu cache, gpu memory etc. Also a reduced performance gpu allows a cheaper cooling system and the possibility of a reduced output psu.

There are still so many rumours about the specification of the wii u. Some analysts are writing them off because its in some ways they believe its less powerful than 360/PS3 and other analysts are stating its going to be too expensive. Nintendo are in a difficult position. I believe Nintendo are aiming to be profitable, offer reasonable performance and a competitive price point. To me that is $299 with performance around ps3/360. In some ways weaker and some ways stronger. It will have more memory for a start this already gives it a huge advantage, as for cpu and gpu either or both could perform below 360/PS3 but that is only a generalisation as a gpu is so complex that in someways it could be much better and in others much worse.

Clearly I'm hoping the wii U will be superior to 360/PS3 but I do feel this is highly unlikely. I just don't see how Nintendo can fit powerful hardware into the wii U case and sell it at a low price.

Its also worth pointing out its cheaper to put a simple gpu in a console and run it at 350mhz than put a complex gpu in and run it at 200mhz. Not only do you have to pay a lot more for the silicon and royalties for the more complex gpu but you make no performance gain if this causes you to run it slow in a tiny case. I just can't see Nintendo fitting a fan that sounds like a jet engine in the wii U.

You do realise both the PS3 slim and 360 slim models which are both much larger than wii U have very large fans running at high speed to cool them and the current consoles are using the latest in manufacturing technology. Many still over-heat on hot days if ventilation isn't adequete. At the current time it would be very difficult for Microsoft to put its Xbox 360 chipset in the wii u case for example. Also lets not forget Nintendo doesn't do unreliable consoles. It has a history of doing robust consoles that take abuse from children. The slot loading mechanism in the wii isn't just there because its smart technology. It holds the disc more securely hence why car cd players are all slot loading as it copes with vibration much better. Same with PS3 but Microsoft went cheap with a standard tray mechanism. Whatever the specification of the wii U the vast majority of them will work on day 1 to the time they are finally retired when something new comes out.

#64 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

wii and gamecube have practically identical gpus, its just one is run at 160mhz and the wii at 240mhz. The wii gpu still has exactly the same limit on 2meg frame buffer and 1 meg texture cache etc. Also remember the wii U gpu will feature either a wii compatibility mode for its gpu or it will duplicate the whole wii gpu within the wii u gpu and have some sort of switching process like the 3DS has between its pica gpu and the ds mali gpu.

They wouldn't have to go out of their way at all to achieve a lower gpu performance. In fact in costcutting terms a lower performance gpu saves them money. It will mean a smaller silicon footprint and the possibility to integrate it into a major chip with perhaps the cpu, cpu cache, gpu memory etc. Also a reduced performance gpu allows a cheaper cooling system and the possibility of a reduced output psu.

There are still so many rumours about the specification of the wii u. Some analysts are writing them off because its in some ways they believe its less powerful than 360/PS3 and other analysts are stating its going to be too expensive. Nintendo are in a difficult position. I believe Nintendo are aiming to be profitable, offer reasonable performance and a competitive price point. To me that is $299 with performance around ps3/360. In some ways weaker and some ways stronger. It will have more memory for a start this already gives it a huge advantage, as for cpu and gpu either or both could perform below 360/PS3 but that is only a generalisation as a gpu is so complex that in someways it could be much better and in others much worse.

Clearly I'm hoping the wii U will be superior to 360/PS3 but I do feel this is highly unlikely. I just don't see how Nintendo can fit powerful hardware into the wii U case and sell it at a low price.

Its also worth pointing out its cheaper to put a simple gpu in a console and run it at 350mhz than put a complex gpu in and run it at 200mhz. Not only do you have to pay a lot more for the silicon and royalties for the more complex gpu but you make no performance gain if this causes you to run it slow in a tiny case. I just can't see Nintendo fitting a fan that sounds like a jet engine in the wii U.

You do realise both the PS3 slim and 360 slim models which are both much larger than wii U have very large fans running at high speed to cool them and the current consoles are using the latest in manufacturing technology. Many still over-heat on hot days if ventilation isn't adequete. At the current time it would be very difficult for Microsoft to put its Xbox 360 chipset in the wii u case for example. Also lets not forget Nintendo doesn't do unreliable consoles. It has a history of doing robust consoles that take abuse from children. The slot loading mechanism in the wii isn't just there because its smart technology. It holds the disc more securely hence why car cd players are all slot loading as it copes with vibration much better. Same with PS3 but Microsoft went cheap with a standard tray mechanism. Whatever the specification of the wii U the vast majority of them will work on day 1 to the time they are finally retired when something new comes out.

http://nintendoevery...to-current-gen/

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!