Photo

How much power would you like inside the Wii U?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: How much power would you like in the Wii U? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

How much power would you like in the Wii U?

1. On par with the Current Generation. 0x Increase (Price range: $149-$199) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Slightly Better. 0.5x - 3.5x Increase (Price range: $199-$299) (2 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

3. Noticeably better. 4x - 5.5x Increase (Price range: $299-$349) (25 votes [56.82%])

Percentage of vote: 56.82%

4. Much better. 6x - 7.5x Increase (Price range: $349-$499 (12 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

5. MAJORLY better. 8x+ Increase (Extremely Expensive $549+) (5 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

I myself choose option 4.

What about you people?

Edited by DR4G0NB0RN, 25 April 2012 - 05:57 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

Cool poll.

Edited by Sportsgamer, 25 April 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#3 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

You should put times instead of percentages because it's kind of confusing. For example.

A. On par
B. 0.5x -3.5 times more powerful
C. 4x-6x
D. 9x +

I'll edit if you listen but smart poll.

Thanks. And I fixed it.

Posted Image

#4 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Criterion, Codemasters

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

Three people agree with me.

I've been wondering how much power a PC will need to have individual grass instead of just some texture of grass with multiple individual grass patches.

LordPickleton.png

#5 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

Three people agree with me.

I've been wondering how much power a PC will need to have individual grass instead of just some texture of grass with multiple individual grass patches.

I'm sure PCs today are well capable of doing this. Texture grass is sort of way to skimp out on the game. Therefore making it quicker to develop.

Posted Image

#6 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

Triple the 360 is fine.

Xbox 360:

3.2Ghz Tri-Core CPU wit 10mb eDRAM
512MB RAM shared with GPU
GPU is 0.25 TFLOPS

Wii U
3.0 GHz Quad-Core CPU with 16MB eDRAM
1.5GB of RAM
1.1 TFLOPS GPU to run Samiritan Demo at 720p (around the power of a Radeon 4870)
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#7 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

I want it to be "much stronger". Nintendo's next console has got to be a large leap from what it is now, and I am 100% willing to pay for that suggested price range.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#8 EternalDeadman

EternalDeadman

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo,and Sony

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

Just enough to compete with other next-gen consoles, it doesn't need to be cutting edge.
3DS Friendcode:0688-5291-6191
3DS Username:Knightwing
PSN: EternalDeadman

#9 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:12 AM

Just enough to compete with other next-gen consoles, it doesn't need to be cutting edge.

If Nintendo does that, it probably won't be enough to compete. It would be considered "last gen" by the PS3/360 crowd.

Posted Image

#10 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:49 AM

The poll doesn't make much sense because it links price with performance in a rigid way. On a par with current gen with a sophisticated controller with its own screen could be anywhere from $199-349.

Personally I would choose 5x performance at $299 but manufacturing costs have increased and Nintendo will want to make a good profit.

As stated before people's expectations are far too high. They need to level them out a bit. There are physical and historic reasons why Nintendo will not push the technology of the wii U.

We can hope for good things when it comes to memory and cpu power but there will be some gpu restrictions especially as it will also need to emulate the original wii completely with likely near 100% compatibility. Its a custom gpu that needs to work within a small case and stay cool. Although its possible if the rumour about wii mode not being enhanced with upscaling etc that the original wii gpu is replicated entirely within the same silicon with the new gpu, a bit like the 3DS. This again will limit silicon space for the wii u gpu.

#11 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

The poll doesn't make much sense because it links price with performance in a rigid way. On a par with current gen with a sophisticated controller with its own screen could be anywhere from $199-349.

Personally I would choose 5x performance at $299 but manufacturing costs have increased and Nintendo will want to make a good profit.

As stated before people's expectations are far too high. They need to level them out a bit. There are physical and historic reasons why Nintendo will not push the technology of the wii U.

We can hope for good things when it comes to memory and cpu power but there will be some gpu restrictions especially as it will also need to emulate the original wii completely with likely near 100% compatibility. Its a custom gpu that needs to work within a small case and stay cool. Although its possible if the rumour about wii mode not being enhanced with upscaling etc that the original wii gpu is replicated entirely within the same silicon with the new gpu, a bit like the 3DS. This again will limit silicon space for the wii u gpu.

Seriously.... The prices were never meant to be exact. They were all rough estimates.

I think you don't remember what Satoru Iwata said about the Wii U. It won't be cheap.

Forget ALL of Nintendo's history with consoles. Their plans with the Wii U are completely different. They are trying to lure back the core/hardcore crowd of gamers with this new console. If they don't push out graphics at least 5x better, that crowd will see it as another Wii and move to their new PS4 or 720.

My expectations are something a little like this:

6x the power of this current generation with the ability of doing 1080p 40fps at the minimum. It all depends on what the devs put into the game. For all you know, Bethesda could put Skyrim on the Wii U at least running at 720p and get an average of 50-60fps.

Posted Image

#12 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

I voted much better since its the amount of power I would like and at a price I can agree on if it had that power.

#13 EternalDeadman

EternalDeadman

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo,and Sony

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

If Nintendo does that, it probably won't be enough to compete. It would be considered "last gen" by the PS3/360 crowd.

You didn't get what I meant by "next-gen", I meant ps4/nextbox.
3DS Friendcode:0688-5291-6191
3DS Username:Knightwing
PSN: EternalDeadman

#14 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

You didn't get what I meant by "next-gen", I meant ps4/nextbox.

I sorta get what you mean now....

Posted Image

#15 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Enough power to stop people from calling it doomed.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#16 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

I would like the power of the Wii U to be OVER 9000!
It had to be done.

#17 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

Hopefully I think most of us will agree that the console will be successful. The performance of the console will be related to its retail price so in some ways lower performance would be preferable as its means more people can afford the console.

Would it be so terrible if Nintendo did manage to get to the $299 price point by making a console that was about 360/PS3 in performance, a bit better in some places and weaker in other areas?

I realise it would be nice to have something beyond ps3/360 but we are in a time of recession.

The worst thing about ps3/360 is they don't have Nintendo games on them.

#18 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

Would it be so terrible if Nintendo did manage to get to the $299 price point by making a console that was about 360/PS3 in performance, a bit better in some places and weaker in other areas?

The thing is though..... Nintendo already came out and said that the Wii U won't be cheap. I don't think a $50 price jump over the Wiis launch price is considered expensive to them.

Posted Image

#19 kryose88

kryose88

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

I myself chose option 5, but would be content with option 4. Primarily due to the fact that the console really does need a step up from the gimmicky wii console. They cant have a weak console this gen and another weak console next gen.
Wake up nintendo. If you want to hit the hardcore market, make it pack a serious punch.
I dont wanna be seeing 3rd party games (or any) that look like cod for another 7 years.f--- that.

#20 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Can you make a "On par with PS4/720" please?.

Edited by Meelow100, 29 April 2012 - 11:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!