Dry Bones

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Legend of Zelda Etc.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

http://gamasutra.com..._epics_tim_.php
Yay... It's that time again.

Gamasutra:I know it's under wraps, but you guys are probably feeling pretty okay about Unreal Engine 4.

Tim Sweeney: Yeah, we're starting a behind-closed-doors showing of the engine to developers; this is part of our very early ramp-up cycle. We went through this cycle with Unreal Engine 3 starting in 2003 and 2004. At some point we'll make public announcements and ramp up to the point where developers are shipping games, but it's very early right now. We're aiming very high, and the intended platforms this is aimed at haven't even been announced.

Posted Image

#2 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

Well epic, enjoy bankrupting the industry with your insane budgets to take advantage of this engine. Ppl will flock to the cheaper to develop for Wii U and you will gain low return on investment on your engine.

Samaritan demo can still be reached by Unreal 3 so there is no reason for UE4 yet.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#3 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

Here comes the discussion...

#4 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

Before people say no Wii U support. He says "intended platforms." Wii U might not have been the intended platform for UE4, but may run it at the lowest setting. All speculation of course

#5 Reaper Pin

Reaper Pin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Legend of Zelda Etc.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

I dunno.
I just think extremely high-end tech stuff is not necessary for Video Games.
If Games are art, then why would you need expensive and pretty looking stuff? You can make the greatest painting with just a pencil, eraser, pen, and colors. You don't need highly expensive stands and super duper shiny colors and automatic brushes and sh** like that, you just don't.
Honestly, now, I hate the videogame industry, I just love games. I hate hate hate developers and their ambition to suck the living crap out of a gamer's money. I hate the idea of actually talented developers not being able to bring their ideas to life because of an stupid and unnecessarily high budget cost. It just sucks. I don't want to end up having to pay $80-$90 dollars for a game, I just don't. I don't want to think about DLC being a major part of a videogame, I don't want monthly cost if games are going to be expensive. How I miss the days when games where just that. Games. Remember when you didn't have DLC? When a game was complete? When you payed for a Game, it was a full game, not, "Hey Gamers! Buy this for $60 even though it's incomplete and enjoy paying extra-money for stuff that could have easily been put in the final product, please support us! We love sucking the money out of you!" Or "Looks at these pretty graphics, Gamers! You should totally buy it because it's a 10-hour campaign (That will of course be "Expanded" with DLC,bro!) And with MULTIPLAYER!!!" I hate Epic, EA, Activision, etc. They are slowly but surely ruining the so-called Gaming "Industry."
Then again, this is coming from a 14-year old that has had an N64 and a Gamecube for as long as he can remember.
/Rant

Before people say no Wii U support. He says "intended platforms." Wii U might not have been the intended platform for UE4, but may run it at the lowest setting. All speculation of course

Hey there, Linkhero1 xD

Edited by Reaper Pin, 07 May 2012 - 08:52 PM.

• 10k likes this
Posted Image

#6 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

I wonder what the intended platforms are. If they haven't even been announced yet, and I'm assuming Epic has been working on this engine for a while, this would mean that they don't even know if any upcoming platforms would be able of running the engine. Unless they have some type of confirmation of specs from a platform creator or are planning on creating there own platform.

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

#7 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

I dunno.
I just think extremely high-end tech stuff is not necessary for Video Games.
If Games are art, then why would you need expensive and pretty looking stuff? You can make the greatest painting with just a pencil, eraser, pen, and colors. You don't need highly expensive stands and super duper shiny colors and automatic brushes and sh** like that, you just don't.
Honestly, now, I hate the videogame industry, I just love games. I hate hate hate developers and their ambition to suck the living crap out of a gamer's money. I hate the idea of actually talented developers not being able to bring their ideas to life because of an stupidly and unnecessary high budget cost. It just sucks. I don't want to end up having to pay $80-$90 dollars for a game, I just don't. I don't want to think about DLC being a major part of a videogame, I don't want monthly cost if games are going to be expensive. How I miss the days when games where just that. Games. Remember when you din't have DLC? When a game was complete? When you payed for a Game, it was a full game, not, "Hey Gamers! But this for $60 even though it's incomplete and enjoy paying extra-money for stuff that could have easily been put in the final product, please support us! We love sucking the money out of you!" Or "Looks at these pretty graphics, Gamers! You should totally buy it because it's a 10-hour campaign will MULTIPLAYER!!!" I hate Epic, EA, Activision. They are slowly but surely ruining the so-called Gaming "Industry."
Then again, this is coming from a 14-year old that has had a N64 and a Gamecube for as long as he can remember.
/Rant

Hey there, Linkhero1 xD

Age has nothing to do with it bro. I'm 23 and I feel the same. In order to experience a full game with all DLC you pretty much have to spend the initial $60 plus $15 in DLC, add tax and your spending around $80 for a product that should have had all that DLC to begin with.

My favorite part about Nintendo was avoiding all this DLC crap. I hope they don't milk it with tier 1st party titles. Iwata said hey intends to sell full games and only want DLC to extend the life of games, which is what the original purpose of DLC was to begin with.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#8 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

POPULAR

He meant they haven't announced the platforms they intend to aim UE4 at yet, hence the secret showings.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#9 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, SmashBros, F-Zero

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

Nintendo already said they were trying to get the Unreal Engine 4 to work on the Wii U. No word if it works now. UE3 already worked fine on Wii U.

Edited by Nin_Stream, 07 May 2012 - 10:24 PM.

[E3 2012] Nintendo gets it's throne back.

#10 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

Keep that 'Intended Platforms' in mind. Nintendo is still in this.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#11 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

Nintendo already said they were trying to get the Unreal Engine 4 to work on the Wii U. No word if it works now. UE3 already worked fine on Wii U.

Wasn't that just a rumor?
No sig.

#12 InsaneLaw

InsaneLaw

Blooper

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Fandom:
    All

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:21 AM

He meant they haven't announced the platforms they intend to aim UE4 at yet, hence the secret showings.

That's exactly what I got from it, it's amazing how others misread it. I guess it's ever so slightly ambiguous.

But yeah, they wouldn't tell us the platforms it's intended for yet, it's like people just thrive on thinking everything's negative when it comes to the WIi U.

Edited by Stulaw90, 08 May 2012 - 01:23 AM.

#13 Stewox

Stewox

Spiny

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:47 AM

It runs or it doesn't, either they made it run or they didin't try.

If they are developing it for WiiU, it will run, how good will it look, we don't know, but from all the sources and what we saw, expectations are good.
If they are not developing it for WiiU, it will not run, obviously.
It's not like they're going to release it half-broken ... so these stupid assumptions of "lowest settings" are so primitive and speak of someone who has no experience with this subject.
You don't even have the comparable "high settings" to begin with talking about this ... it's so pointless and a waste of time.

You people are so silly, it's not like they take the engine from PC and plug it into a console and tick a few setting boxes and see if it runs ... horsing stupid. They are ACTIVELY DEVELOPING THE SOFTWARE to the point it is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT version of the engine and it's not one engine therefore, it's multiple versions of it and this takes time to perfect on any given platform, each platform is another version of the engine, practically there will be 4 version of the engine, PC, X720, PS4 and WiiU. Lets see a few examples, Epic even made UE3 to run on FLASH, so there's another complete separate VERSION of the engine, obviously not all of the code had to be rewritten that's why it's called a "version", most importantly it has to have proper CPU code for the CPU that the platform has as well as gpu, API calls and all that so it can run on the hardware otherwise it's good as dead. For example ID Software made RAGE (idtech5) for PS3, X360, PC ... those are 3 version of the engine and had to be developed, he said simultaneously, that means 3 programming teams working on the engine, some of the engine code that is safe and doesn't affect low level was shared obviously to speed up development of unnecessary rewritting(scripts ..etc), the engine was also developed in a way so the datasets (materials,models,textures) would be compatible with all 3 versions of the engine, so the PC dataset would work on any console, this is quite a pretty BIG and important thing that saves LOTS of time for the mass material production. The IDTech5 engine by it self is way more capable that the game had shown, it's way more advanced than what you seen in Rage, rage is like a samartian DEMO, it's a graphical DEMONSTRATION ON TOP OF THE ENGINE, it does not NECESSAIRLY REPRESENT the engine, EPIC is known for TECH DEMOS and Samartian is a TECH DEMO thus it's more likely to show the full potential and updates to the UE3 engine, wihile Carmack with the Rage game has not been targeting tech demos and has opted to run the game 60 FPS on all consoles which took off even more GFX and also the IDTech5 engine does not have tesselation, because it started development in 2005, and Carmack makes his engines how he thinks so he does not believe into BOLT-ONS (samartian tech stuff is an UE3 bolt-on, it's UE3.X , UE3pointWhatever ... UE3 got many updates ... these are bolt-ons he thinks are not best and not optimized enough, he thinks this needs to be developed from the beginning to take each of the low-level areas into effect down to pixel level, Crytek's Crysis 2 DX11 update is also a BOLT-ON, it's an update, tesselation was not developed from the start of the engine development, and you can see in a tech article how crappy optimized Crytek's tesselation is ... how much GPU processing goes into WASTE ... you need these beefy PC setups to run, Im okay with that, i love hardware, but the game is so poorly optimized, not just itself, but due to PC limitations which consoles do not have... big topic, find my other posts here if you want to know more about that)

Stop mixing graphic requirements, DEMO is MADE-UP it's not the default engine, the engine has no GPU requirements to run by it self, today's big engines are FULLY customizable you can do whatever you want, there is no fixed settings of "low, high, very high" this is plain stupid, developers (OBVIOUSLY) have much more control of what they're doing than any user ever had.

So many bullcrap discussions people waste time on, how the heck can you even take this, Im following for two months and im bored, little serious tech discussion cause all of it was already done and only now to do is to wait for e3.

And for the most part - can we please stop talking about the people talking "no wiiu support" those are irrelevant console noobs and please stop wasting time with this subject. It will support WiiU and this was clear months ago, it is more obvious than star you see in the sky every day, the only question is how much graphical fidelity would be able to show, samartian is a DEMO on TOP of the engine, it is irrelevant, and it's not up to the engine so much because these engines are very good and will push hardware to limits, it's up to the hardware what will be, we don't know that finally yet, so stop making silly comparrisions which don't make any technical sense.

Edited by Stewox, 08 May 2012 - 02:15 AM.

Posted Image

#14 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:04 AM

^ Nollog nailed it people. He didn't mean the consoles havnt been announced, he meant they havnt announced which consoles ue4 is meant to operate on.

Grammitically, he didn't need to say "intended" and "aimed". It makes that sentence confusing, especially when being read.He should have said, "the platforms this is intended for have not been announced."

Edited by Fig, 08 May 2012 - 03:16 AM.

#15 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

^ Nollog nailed it people. He didn't mean the consoles havnt been announced, he meant they havnt announced which consoles ue4 is meant to operate on.

Grammitically, he didn't need to say "intended" and "aimed". It makes that sentence confusing, especially when being read.He should have said, "the platforms this is intended for have not been announced."

or... "we have yet to announce the platforms for which this is intended"... if grammatical precision is absolutely paramount :P anyway, i agree that nothing conclusive was said...

but hey, in relation to the whole frustration regarding "the games industry" and DLC... I realized not too long ago that I actually ended up paying $90 for Gears of War 3, after adding the cost of the DLC season pass to the original cost of the game... so yeah, I get the point about feeling a bit hustled. But you know what? I'm actually ok with it. I appreciate that games are expensive to develop and publish, I like all the bells and whistles that come with high production values and traditional packaging, and the slow feed of extra content is welcome to me. The digital/new media age has spoiled me a bit, but at the end of the day I am still a fan, and fans of all stripes have always been ready to shell out ridiculous amounts of cash for overpriced merchandise!

Also... I remember paying $70 for a game on many occasions during the "good old days" of gaming (talking SNES here)... and that was in 1992 dollars!

#16 Chinomanila

Chinomanila

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda,Bioshock,Pikmin

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

I really do not think this says "Unreal engine is not going to be on the Wii U", I think Nollog has the right idea.

Edited by Chinomanila, 08 May 2012 - 09:09 AM.

Posted Image

#17 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

im not gonna take this negatively at all, no reason to, nintendo aren't stupid, Iwata himself said to the investors that nintendo will prioritise the core gamer before the mass market, the wii u definately should run UE4 for the simple reason that i dont think Iwata was lying :P
Posted Image

#18 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

Nintendo has a lot to prove with the Wii U. Not from a 1st party standpoint... They always deliver mostly. But from a 3rd party standpoint will we be left behind again like we were with the Wii once PS4 and 720 are announced? I know I shouldn't care but I'm tired of hearing gamers make fun of nintendo. Yes power isn't everything and it not taking the industry in a good direction. All in all I believe the Wii U will run UE4 just optimized maybe 720P. E3 is going to be ELECTRIC!

#19 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, SmashBros, F-Zero

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

No they said they were attempting to get it to work on the Wii U. But nobody knows if it was successful or not.

Wasn't that just a rumor?

[E3 2012] Nintendo gets it's throne back.

#20 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:12 AM

Well that means there's still hope.
No sig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users