#1 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

So, discuss what books you are reading, wanting to read, books you have on hold, or books you highly suggest.

Books I am reading:

Various stories by Richard Adams, the writer of Watership Down. I am reading it to get inspiration for my own story I am writing. He usually deals with writing about animals in a unique way.

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman

Breakfeast with Socrates by Robert Rowland Smith

Books I recommend:

Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock

The Pendragon Series by D.J Machale

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#2 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

Wow! I was just about to make this thread.

Pendragon was great!

The Hunger Games is a good one, Harry Potter, I Am Number Four, The Mortal Insturments, all these are great!

#3 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Criterion, Codemasters

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

I read two books in the Samurai Detective Series by Dorothy and Thomas Hoobler. I'm going to read them again since they were the 3rd and 4th books in the series.

In Darkness, Death

The Sword That Cut The Burning Grass

I recently got the Steve Jobs book by Walter Isaacson

LordPickleton.png

#4 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:27 PM

I need to start reading more books. :P

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#5 dagwood dang

dagwood dang

Thwomp

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Elder Scrolls, LoZ

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

The Hobbit. JRR Tolkien...

...I wonder, will we be able to buy and read books on the Wii U?

#6 Guest

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Okami, Metroid, Mega Man X

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

The Name of the Wind/The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (they're books 1 and 2 of the Kingkiller Chronicles, which is supposed to be a trilogy)!

Who doesn't like the story of Kvothe, a tragic antihero: A boy whose parents die by the hands of a group of people thought to be fairytales; a student who discovers that there are things and beings in this world, long forgotten by most; a magician who turns the world upside down in his quest for revenge; a man that could have gained everything, but ended up losing even his own identity! Admit that sounds good! Let me kvothe (see what I did there) the excerpt from book one available on Pat's blog:

My name is Kvothe, pronounced nearly the same as "quothe." Names are important as they tell you a great deal about a person. I've had more names than anyone has a right to. The Adem call me Maedre. Which, depending on how it's spoken, can mean The Flame, The Thunder, or The Broken Tree.

"The Flame" is obvious if you've ever seen me. I have red hair, bright. If I had been born a couple of hundred years ago I would probably have been burned as a demon. I keep it short but it's unruly. When left to its own devices, it sticks up and makes me look as if I have been set afire.

"The Thunder" I attribute to a strong baritone and a great deal of stage training at an early age.

I've never thought of "The Broken Tree" as very significant. Although in retrospect, I suppose it could be considered at least partially prophetic.

My first mentor called me E'lir because I was clever and I knew it. My first real lover called me Dulator because she liked the sound of it. I have been called Shadicar, Lightfinger, and Six-String. I have been called Kvothe the Bloodless, Kvothe the Arcane, and Kvothe Kingkiller. I have earned those names. Bought and paid for them.

But I was brought up as Kvothe. My father once told me it meant "to know."

I have, of course, been called many other things. Most of them uncouth, although very few were unearned.

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.

read it! Read It! READ IT!

...sorry, I got carried away... a bit...

Posted Image

#7 Fully87

Fully87

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dark Souls, Deus Ex, Half-Life

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:07 AM

I am reading Book 1 of A Song Of Ice And Fire series, Game Of Thrones. And its great so far, Even better than the tv series.

#8 aaron

aaron

noraA

• Members
  • 756 posts
  • Fandom:
    You

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

I recommend the Artemis Fowl series, the Kane Chronicles (same author as Percy Jackson), and The Beyonders book series.

by chance

#9 dkrumble725

dkrumble725

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Fandom:
    Chrono Trigger, SMT, DKC, and alot more.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

The Silmarillion, Count of Monte Cristo (Unabridged), and Anne McAffrey books.
Posted Image
I SHALL PASS WITH RAMBI

#10 Kirby

Kirby

Blooper

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Fandom:
    Minecraft Nintendo

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

i have been reading the series of the hunger games it is really good

kirby_a_GIFSoupcom.gif

#11 Gnomishek

Gnomishek

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

I read a lot (mostly fantasy).
Among my favorite authors are: George R. Martin (A Song Of Ice And Fire), Andrzej Sapkowski (The Witcher Saga and The Hussite Trilogy), Joe Abercrombie and Glen Cook.

Молоту войн и рокоту гроз вольные рати верны, где ветром могучим из братины звёзд рунные стяги пьяны.

#12 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

I'm reading Wicked for school, but I haven't started yet so I have no idea if its good or not. :o

#13 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

I'm on Summer Break so I'm not reading much ( don't judge me :(). But what I have read I suggest the Harry Potter series, Mr.Ape and Scott Pilgrim. I read a lot in school, so I would post too many books if I listed all of my suggestions and no I don't read Scott Pilgrim at school.

#14 Hamez

Hamez

Blooper

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • NNID:PrinceLuna
  • Fandom:
    007, Team Fortress 2, Zelda, Ponies

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

Yeah, I've pretty much have only been reading The Hunger Games series lately...
Posted Image

#15 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Rise from your grave!
Posted Image

Well, currently I am reading the Arabian Nights (I'm not sure which version). As of now, I'm on the last story, which is Sinbad.

Up next, I have to choose either The Color or Magic, On the Road, Game of Thrones, the Monkey Wrench Gang, or Flowers for Algernon.

#16 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Currently I am reading Fast Food Nation and Invisible Monsters.

I'm really not sure what I want to read next. I'm kind of in the mood to start a fantasy book. Maybe i'll read the second book in the Eternal Champion series.

I'm open to some book suggestions though. I'm also up for a dystopian society book.

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#17 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

I have a big book shelf full of books I've read and need to read. Including all of Tolkiens works, the Shanara series, Mistborn trilogy, loads of Forgotten Realms and Star Wars books. Currently finishing off the final book in the Jedi Academy trilogy.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#18 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

The Order. Check it out its cool

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#19 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Im currently reading A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K Dick (who has become my favourite author over the past year). After that I'm going to start Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell.

Currently I am reading Fast Food Nation and Invisible Monsters.

I'm really not sure what I want to read next. I'm kind of in the mood to start a fantasy book. Maybe i'll read the second book in the Eternal Champion series.

I'm open to some book suggestions though. I'm also up for a dystopian society book.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? By Phillip K Dick is a great novel about a post-apocalyptic Earth that really explores what it is to be human. I definitely recommend it if you're looking for something about a Dystopian Society.

Edited by Hunter, 27 January 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#20 stardust

stardust

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:23 AM

Im currently reading A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K Dick (who has become my favourite author over the past year). After that I'm going to start Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? By Phillip K Dick is a great novel about a post-apocalyptic Earth that really explores what it is to be human. I definitely recommend it if you're looking for something about a Dystopian Society.

Go read Handmaid's Tale. I read it a few years back for my English class. It's out of this world.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!