#21 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

I think there are different kind of fanboy/girls. The ones that are major fans with something but they do not shove their fandom in peoples' faces, they also do not denonucing what others like. All of my friends i talk to about gaming are cool with the stuff and vise versa. The other type of fanboy/girl is the type that i consider the plague of the internet. They always say that their game/movie/comic etc is better and should be for everybody, while scolding others for liking other things. This are the type of people i hate to see in college, but i will most likely will. This is why i like this forum, the people have all their own fandom but respect each other. This is the reason why i do not want to be a member in ign , the community is very disrespectful, but there are good people there as well. I remember reading comments that some people hope the wii u fail, and this also goes on for other consoles as well. Heck, even pc gamers do it. Than their are fan wars in series, heck i fear about spreading my fandom for FF13 without being scolded. There was even a ign recommend blog that said that wii owners are silly ponys and i was really pissed internally. I am glad you created this topic since i really wanted to let off steam about this and i agree this has become a growing problem in gaming. (Hmmmm, this is a really long post.)

Edited by zxride64, 13 August 2011 - 07:36 PM.

Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#22 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:02 PM

I think there are different kind of fanboy/girls. The ones that are major fans with something but they do not shove their fandom in peoples' faces, they also do not denonucing what others like. All of my friends i talk to about gaming are cool with the stuff and vise versa. The other type of fanboy/girl is the type that i consider the plague of the internet. They always say that their game/movie/comic etc is better and should be for everybody, while scolding others for liking other things. This are the type of people i hate to see in college, but i will most likely will. This is why i like this forum, the people have all their own fandom but respect each other. This is the reason why i do not want to be a member in ign , the community is very disrespectful, but there are good people there as well. I remember reading comments that some people hope the wii u fail, and this also goes on for other consoles as well. Heck, even pc gamers do it. Than their are fan wars in series, heck i fear about spreading my fandom for FF13 without being scolded. There was even a ign recommend blog that said that wii owners are silly ponys and i was really pissed internally. I am glad you created this topic since i really wanted to let off steam about this and i agree this has become a growing problem in gaming. (Hmmmm, this is a really long post.)

You're wrong. The first group you described are called fans, not fanboys - fanboy is used as a negative term for fans of systems/companies that dismiss/make fun of other systems/companies that they aren't fans of. The second group you described are definitely fanboys though.

#23 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:10 PM

It's important to understand the difference between fanboys and fans. Fanboys absolutely deserve to be banned from any gaming site they go on, because they make fun of systems/games for no logical reason. You could own every Nintendo system/game and still not be a fanboy, you can buy and like particular things but still respect people who don't like those things.

I'm sorry, but you are completely wrong. Not only do most Fanboys not go to such levels, most aren't even for a particular Company or even Console. Are you saying to be called a Yoshi Fanboy you have to hate Wario? Do Minecraft Fanboys automatically hate Terraria? As an Umineko Fanboy do I have to hate Fate/Stay Night? That one's Ironic, because I'm a Fanboy of both.

It's alright to dislike Fanboys who go overboard, but please don't go changing the terminology of words. You're clearly getting Fandom and Hatedom mixed up. The two do sometimes overlap, and that's usually the vocal majority, but don't continue to mistake the two for the same. They're entirely separate entities, one referring to obsession with a given work, the other the absolute hatred of it.

Actually, re-reading this thread, I think it would be good to clarify this, as I think several people think all Fanboys are crazy...

A Fanboy is NOT the same as a Hateboy™

...Though extremist Fanboys seem to be more prevalent in the Console Wars than any other medium... I think we should all blame Sega and their advertising :/
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#24 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

I'm sorry, but you are completely wrong. Not only do most Fanboys not go to such levels, most aren't even for a particular Company or even Console. Are you saying to be called a Yoshi Fanboy you have to hate Wario? Do Minecraft Fanboys automatically hate Terraria? As an Umineko Fanboy do I have to hate Fate/Stay Night? That one's Ironic, because I'm a Fanboy of both.

It's alright to dislike Fanboys who go overboard, but please don't go changing the terminology of words. You're clearly getting Fandom and Hatedom mixed up. The two do sometimes overlap, and that's usually the vocal majority, but don't continue to mistake the two for the same. They're entirely separate entities, one referring to obsession with a given work, the other the absolute hatred of it.

Actually, re-reading this thread, I think it would be good to clarify this, as I think several people think all Fanboys are crazy...

A Fanboy is NOT the same as a Hateboy™

...Though extremist Fanboys seem to be more prevalent in the Console Wars than any other medium... I think we should all blame Sega and their advertising :/

Nope. In this case you're completely wrong, and the fact that you say that you're a fanboy in your own sig shows that you don't understand what the term actually means ;) In it's broadest sense fanboy is a word to describe an immature or ignorant fan. There'd be no reason for the word existing in the first place if it meant the same thing as fan. I suggest you change the word fanboy to fan in your sig, or you could just leave it and let people think you're calling yourself immature/ignorant :P

#25 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

http://theeyzmaster....nboys-155369482
Posted Image

#26 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:05 AM

Fanboys are very powerful. Their support and extremist notions are a danger to us all.
And yet we have no real ammo to fight back...

Well, there is IP Banning...

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#27 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:00 AM

Nope. In this case you're completely wrong, and the fact that you say that you're a fanboy in your own sig shows that you don't understand what the term actually means :) In it's broadest sense fanboy is a word to describe an immature or ignorant fan. There'd be no reason for the word existing in the first place if it meant the same thing as fan. I suggest you change the word fanboy to fan in your sig, or you could just leave it and let people think you're calling yourself immature/ignorant :D

*Sigh*
No. That is NOT the definition of Fanboy. The definition of Fanboy is an OBSESSIVE fan. While it used to have a different meaning than Fangirl, I think they're slowly fusing into one... Anyway, a Fanboy is one who will go much further than a normal fan to show their fandom to the world, whether it be about a Company, Series, Character or relationship. (Those last two used to be exclusive for Fangirls for some reason :S)

While many Fanboys cross over to HateDumb, it is not a requirement.
Just so you know, the term 'Fanboy' has been around a LOT longer than the video game industry. It's only really as bad as it is in the VGI, too. While it is a requirement to think that you're object of fanboyism is superior, it is not a requirement to hate the 'Inferior' competitors.

Wikipedia's (Sub-)Article on Fanboys/Girls

TL;DR:
A Banana Fanboy has purchased all the Banana action figures, Banana Door Handles and Banana Phones, 90% of the time the day they where launched. The other 10% the day before. It doesn't mean he won't eat an Orange. Sure, he won't like it as much, and if he's really obsessive he'll say it's not as good, but he can say that he likes it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#28 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:06 AM

As I said in my recent status update, I can't even mention something Nintendo related at school without my XBOT friends talking out of their a** about why Nintendo sucks. So yes, fanboyism is definitely a problem.

I agree. Since there's more CoD fanboys than Ninty fanboys, Ninty gets the worst hit.
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#29 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:32 AM

Fanboys are very powerful. Their support and extremist notions are a danger to us all.
And yet we have no real ammo to fight back...

Well, there is IP Banning...

If a fanboy knows 1 or 2 stuff about computers and ip stuff, then he'll be smart and just use a free VPN to go around the IP ban ;)

#30 Reaper Pin

Reaper Pin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Legend of Zelda Etc.

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

Ah, fanboys.

Nothing to say, really, it's all stupid.
So what if Nintendo didn't have those mindless FPS?
So what if the Move is just a copy of Wii? Because Sony was totally working on this WAY before Nintendo, right?

I still hate Microsoft, tho.

Edited by Blade, 14 August 2011 - 11:19 AM.

Posted Image

#31 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:32 AM

Nope. In this case you're completely wrong, and the fact that you say that you're a fanboy in your own sig shows that you don't understand what the term actually means :) In it's broadest sense fanboy is a word to describe an immature or ignorant fan. There'd be no reason for the word existing in the first place if it meant the same thing as fan. I suggest you change the word fanboy to fan in your sig, or you could just leave it and let people think you're calling yourself immature/ignorant :D

According to Urban Dictionary, a Fanboy is, and I quote,

A passionate fan of various elements of geek culture (e.g. sci-fi, comics, Star Wars, video games, anime, hobbits, Magic: the Gathering, etc.), but who lets his passion override social graces.
. What your describing is an Extreme fanboy. Just because someones a fanboy doesn`t mean that they are immature or ignorant. By the means above, I would be considered a Pokemon fanboy. Does that mean I`m immature? No, It just means that I enjoy Pokemon. The person your describing hate other companies for no reason. Myself and other fanboys don`t hate the other companies, we just enjoy the content that one company makes more then other companies.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#32 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:10 PM

-

Edited by BazzDropperz, 13 July 2014 - 11:53 PM.

#33 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:24 PM

And what does pretty much every other description of fanboyism in urban dictionary say? :3 Most of them say exactly what I'm saying.

It goes by votes.
Top 2 go against what you're saying, 3rd was clearly written 'For teh lulz.'

Plus TVTropes and Wikpedia both agree with the first 2. Guess it's 6 against 1 now ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#34 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:41 PM

-

Edited by BazzDropperz, 13 July 2014 - 11:52 PM.

#35 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:36 PM

Exactly why are we arguing with we're fanboys or not? Geez it's like this is going to be a watered down version of the argument of what is the exact Legend of Zelda timeline.
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#36 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

Exactly why are we arguing with we're fanboys or not? Geez it's like this is going to be a watered down version of the argument of what is the exact Legend of Zelda timeline.

Don't even get me started on that one. We'd be here all month.
Posted Image

#37 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

Don't even get me started on that one. We'd be here all month.

We'd be here all year...

#38 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

We'd be here all year...

In both timelines.

To answer SPW's original question, it's a good idea to know the meaning of words you call people ;)
As an example: Go to Japan and call someone an Otaku. I dare you :)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#39 Reaper Pin

Reaper Pin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Legend of Zelda Etc.

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

Dude, don't say that. It might happen. And we don't want that to happen.

Edited by Blade, 14 August 2011 - 05:45 PM.

Posted Image

#40 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

As an example: Go to Japan and call someone an Otaku. I dare you :)

Heheheheheheheheh....

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!