• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

It's the only Nintendo franchise that if it went away I wouldn't care at all. I played on DS and it was nothing special. Then the Wii version came out and reviews said it was nothing special, it was the same game with a city thrown in it.

So my question is what's so amazing about it? People complain about FPSes being the same old carp crap (Mega64) but yet I find this game/sim hardly anything to be excited about.

Now before I get the comments that say, people play fps like CoD over and over again and that repetitive. I get that, I'm taking that into consideration as well and I would disagree with comparing to FPS since it's completely different, it has a completely different entertainment person. I really can't see anyone I know personaly that's likes Nintendo, not necessary a proper fan (they like what Nintendo makes and appreciate them as gamers but not as a consumer's choice) that will get excited for Animal Crossing, including myself.

#2 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

You have to love collecting things, and just upgrading things. Plus there are so many secret and fun interesting things to find. And about the WIi version, yeah it did kinda suck, and didn't really add anything new. I prefer the game on handheld platforms anyways.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#3 Jeenaud

Jeenaud

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • NNID:Jeenaud-X
  • Fandom:
    Fire Emblem,Metroid and Zelda

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

was one of my favorite game on ds with metroid prime hunters . I love that game !

#4 RnR

RnR

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

the first one I played was the Wii version...I bought mainly for the Wii speak (I thought it was actually going to be useful)

I thought it was pretty chill...def a game to play when you just want to relax. I played mainly online with other friends and visited their town

also, I played alot of the time high lol

Posted Image

"Please remember, I'll dismember any member."
The "Help RnR Get a New 360" Fund was a complete success. Thank you all for the support.
Now I am starting the "Help RnR Get Recording Equipment" Fund, anything helps!
Current Amount of Donations: $0

#5 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

I don't get it either..... :/

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#6 PipoPito

PipoPito

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic, Metroid, Pokemon, Ape Escape

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

sure it could be fun to SOME people, but i dont get the hype.
Old Usernames: Pipopito, Great Mighty Poo , Pit.

#7 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

I liked it alot and played it for hours and hours on the gamecube.... then the Wii one came out and i happily shelled out $50... for the same game! :( i was very disappointed never gonna make that mistake again

#8 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

I find, for a game that lends itself to the casual audience very easily, that it is loaded with content for them. I played the DS and Wii versions, and found it to be quirky.

There is an appeal to it, but for those of us who love to beat the crap out of monsters all day long, it's not exactly what you'd call a cup of tea.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#9 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:46 AM

-

Edited by BassDropper, 04 September 2013 - 01:03 AM.

#10 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:09 AM

I agree the DS ones and Wii ones were worse. I put HOURS into the GameCube one... Probably over 500. All my friends were in love with it too.
Then I got the DS one, was uber hyped for it... and it fell short of expectations. It felt identical (in the bad way) yet... worse somehow, maybe just from the letdown. Then the same for the Wii. :/

It's kind of hard to explain the appeal. It's just the quirkiness of it all I suppose. You're this human that moves into this town full of animals then do wacky things to try and pay off the insane price that sneaky Raccoon/Tanuuki charged you. Along the way you get drawn into the whole upgrading your house thing, customizing it and collecting random stuff. I know I spent many hours fishing...

Now before I get the comments that say, people play fps like CoD over and over again and that repetitive. I get that, I'm taking that into consideration as well and I would disagree with comparing to FPS since it's completely different, it has a completely different entertainment person.

I can't really see what you're getting at here. Am I just having a brain fart or could you elaborate a bit?
Yes both games have sequels that leave you wondering "Why bother buying the same game twice?". But you use the fact that "FPSs are for a different market" as a reason to give it an exception. I'm basically reading this as "Okay I know my problem with it is that it's not for me but I don't get the pointless sequels" then going ahead and saying "I know FPS may not be for other people so it's okay it has pointless sequels! You can't compare them!" It's pretty much a complete contradiction. o_o One is okay cause it's different and one is not okay cause it's different? Which leads me to reading it as: "People who play FPSs are dumb and buy anything with guns on the cover" but you lead me to suspect that you play FPSs yourself...

Ugh, anyways.
I know it doesn't sound like anything to get excited about, but it's one of those addictions that sort of sneaks up on you unexpectedly. If I never played it and I found out about it now, I'd have the same reaction as you. "What? Why would I want to play some random sim game where all there is to it is arranging furniture?"

I think the reason you don't see the draw to it is that... Unlike FPS games where a person can go "Okay I generally like shooting things, I'll try this" Animal Crossing is practically in its own genre. You can't easily compare it to other games without it sounding like a zany sim ripoff "Oh you do the same thing in CoD like in BF, shoot people, ya know? Except this game put zombies in it this time!" So altogether it turns into one of those "you have to play to understand because summaries sound not good" sort of deals. Unfortunately you started on one that wasn't the first. :P
Posted Image

#11 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

I've only played the Gamecube one, and I still play it to this day.

Much of the charm from this game comes from the many NPCs you encounter as you play. When you first arrive you're greeted by Tom Nook, who takes you to a set of four small houses, one of which you can choose to live in for the rest of the game. After selecting one, you're asked to pay Tom Nook a rather hefty amount. Looking through your inventory, you notice that you don't have anywhere near the amount of cash needed to pay off the house, you're left asking yourself "What the hell?"

That moment was truly memorable to me, and I'll always remember working for Tom Nook to pay off that loan. Nowadays, I see that the little jobs that Nook had me do were actually tutorials on how to do tasks in the village. Still, exploring your village for the first time was absolutely a joy. The first villager I met was a hippo named Bertha. Checking out her house, I noticed how much better it was on the inside and loved the music her house played. I instantly grew attatched to the hippo, as time passed. Eventually, she chose to leave the village, leaving a letter in my mailbox. I ran to the area her house used to be, and found nothing there. Honestly, I was pretty sad she left.

Anyway, I don't need to share every little detail about my experience with this game. Your enjoyment depends on how you immerse yourself into the environment. There are a lot of different villagers, though many can be categorized as snooty, jock, lazy, cranky, and normal. It's easy to get around that though because although some villagers share the same personaily, they're given different physical traits and different names to distinguish them from each other. If you can't perceive the games many charms, then this game isn't for you.

#12 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

Collect stuff over and over is as boring as Call of Duty...

#13 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

Honesty, I don't get it either. But I am buying any new version that releases.
I hope it is great!

#14 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:48 AM

I guess I only like the game for it's quirky, positive and humourous atmosphere.
This game tends to unlock the 'inner creative child' within me for some reason. :P

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#15 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:50 AM

-

Edited by BassDropper, 04 September 2013 - 01:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!