#21 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

Seriously, for you really don't know that is a Bandai-Apple Pippin. A failed video game console.

#22 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:14 PM

look, its most likely not going to be directly competing with consoles or gaming on touch devices, like a cheep and open source gamecube at most, but this might have potential, and i think only time will tell if this will either be the best casual gaming machine or the worst scheme ever

Edited by uh20, 03 July 2012 - 11:15 PM.

:laugh:

#23 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:43 AM

What the F*** is that?
Seriously.

A console made by Apple. That's all you need to know. :)

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#24 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

Won't the WiiU app store do that? lol.

No. Nintendo's devkits cost thousands.
You need a publisher to get on the eShop too, which take a huge cut of your sales.

What we need is an Apple brand system, but with Steve Jobs gone we may never get it.

Steve Jobs would be the one person holding Apple back from doing that.
I think it's more likely they'll see the money games is earning them now that he's gone.

I cannot help but think this is just a consolized version of android tablet...

I dunno much about technology, but does android run on other achitecture other than ARMs? if not, then,, yeah.. it is useless..

You implying ARM isn't powerful?
MFW

Edited by Nollog, 04 July 2012 - 06:40 AM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#25 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

A $99 console? That means it could maybe have Wii quality graphics. SEEMS LEGIT ... enough to fail.

When reading this topic I was thinking: "Is Apple doing something stupid again?" but I don't see how such a cheap console can gain profit, especially with free to play games.
No sig.

#26 eugoreez

eugoreez

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

You need a publisher to get on the eShop too, which take a huge cut of your sales.

I think it's more likely they'll see the money games is earning them now that he's gone.

MFW

nope.. im implying, if the console is only as powerful as the tablet, and does the thing the tablet does.. why would I get the console? hell, that thing is even hackable.. on an open source OS android... somebody could just pull whatever inside it and push it to another ARM devices... I own an Asus transformer, with the keyboard attachment.. with psone simulator app and USB controller, I literally turned it to a portable psone.. which renders the console pointless..

I don't see any benefits i can gain from average consumer standpoint.. aside from the the price... at least not yet.. developers could benefit from this, well maybe..

edit: after giving it more thoughts.. the ouya may be more suitable for a media consumption device, which streams the content to the tv.. a media hub.. instead of a pure gaming console with the ability of media consumption, it is a media consumption device with ability to play decent android games... which makes more sense to me... its like turning any tv to a google tv..

Edited by eugoreez, 04 July 2012 - 09:49 AM.

urhhh.. potatoes?

#27 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Ok somebody has to make a game where you make games.

MFW

#28 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

nope.. im implying, if the console is only as powerful as the tablet, and does the thing the tablet does.. why would I get the console? hell, that thing is even hackable.. on an open source OS android... somebody could just pull whatever inside it and push it to another ARM devices... I own an Asus transformer, with the keyboard attachment.. with psone simulator app and USB controller, I literally turned it to a portable psone.. which renders the console pointless..

I don't see any benefits i can gain from average consumer standpoint.. aside from the the price... at least not yet.. developers could benefit from this, well maybe..

edit: after giving it more thoughts.. the ouya may be more suitable for a media consumption device, which streams the content to the tv.. a media hub.. instead of a pure gaming console with the ability of media consumption, it is a media consumption device with ability to play decent android games... which makes more sense to me... its like turning any tv to a google tv..

But it's android.
Would you really pirate a $1 game?

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#29 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Ok somebody has to make a game where you make games.

RPG Maker?
Posted Image

#30 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

RPG Maker?

Not exactly, more like an engine. Where you make and share games. It could be called video game maker. But the games are 2D.

Edited by Sportsgamer, 04 July 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#31 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

Not exactly, more like an engine. Where you make and share games. It could be called video game maker. But the games are 2D.

Hmmm. I just remembered this too.
Posted Image

#32 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

Hmmm. I just remembered this too.

Yes like that but more advanced.

#33 eugoreez

eugoreez

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

But it's android.
Would you really pirate a $1 game?

no not game pirating lol... I mean if the console had something special, ppl could just rip it off and put it on another device.. maybe tablets..
urhhh.. potatoes?

#34 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

yes, it could happen, but look how long it took for a successful wii emulator
(ya, theres one)
people actually hack Cod wii to host giant 20v20 or whats called roll the dice matches on computer

Edited by uh20, 04 July 2012 - 05:02 PM.

:laugh:

#35 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

yes, it could happen, but look how long it took for a successful wii emulator
(ya, theres one)
people actually hack Cod wii to host giant 20v20 or whats called roll the dice matches on computer

Dolphin is a Gamecube emulator.

no not game pirating lol... I mean if the console had something special, ppl could just rip it off and put it on another device.. maybe tablets..

Oh, I see. But would that even matter?
The hardware isn't where the money is really, especially if they're only planning to sell it at 99$.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#36 Blasty

Blasty

Spiny

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waaay to many to list.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

Dolphin is a Gamecube emulator.

Oh, I see. But would that even matter?
The hardware isn't where the money is really, especially if they're only planning to sell it at 99$.

It's also a Wii emulator.
Posted Image

#37 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Criterion, Codemasters

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

Let's see how this thing turns out.

LordPickleton.png

#38 SolarLune

SolarLune

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

News from the Kickstarter for Ouya shows more info about the design for the console, as well as the design for distribution on it. It would seem that it's not going to be all free-to-play, but be something like XBOX / PSN is - "Developers can offer a free demo with a full-game upgrade, in-game items or powers, or ask you to subscribe." I guess there might also be free games there. So, by 'free-to-play', it's just that there will be no games that don't have some form of demos or playable entries. Sounds pretty good to me.

There's also news about the specs, and it's a bit more than I thought it'd be, though I don't really know much about specs. It'll have a Tegra 3 processor, with 8GB of internal flash storage, 1 GB of RAM (surprising, since the 360 has 512 MB, though the speed and type of RAM aren't indicated for the OUYA), and built-in WIFI. There'll be a wireless controller with the standard controls (dual sticks) and a touchpad. They also mention reserving your username with a pledge of $10, which makes me think of some sort of online functionality a la XBOX Live.

I feel a bit skeptical, since I don't know when they plan on releasing it or how well it will work, but it's looking better and better.

Thoughts?
Follow me on Twitter or on my homepage to follow my game development progress. Thanks!

#39 Press

Press

Thwomp

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Smash, FF, KH, Sonic

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Remember CD-i, guys?

Edited by Griffin, 10 July 2012 - 08:26 AM.

#40 eugoreez

eugoreez

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

kotaku article on this...

http://kotaku.com/59...0-of-your-money

good info... but still not convinced how this would even make a dent in the market..
urhhh.. potatoes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!