Wii U CPU confirmed (by respected game producer) As weak.

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#41 Stewox

Stewox

Spiny

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

Is a 200 mhz difference really going to make a difference?

Ofcourse not

This whole thread has been taken by a storm of "taking stuff out of context" again!

The clock speed does not matter, but the publis sees it as an big number that tells us "everythign", that's why they removed those aspects because it would lead to this kind of speculation in a much larger scale.

All in all, you have nothing to worry about, nothing has changed, the CPU is way more advanced than X360 has.
Posted Image

#42 Wonder Blue

Wonder Blue

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Xenoblade

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

How can you say rumors? This was an actual quote fron KNOWN producer working on a game for the Wii U. This is as close to confirmation as you would get.

we haver heard the exact opposite from many other devs and producers...so...

​
vs3Qt8Z.jpg

#43 Stewox

Stewox

Spiny

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

This is no confirmation of anything, it's pure developer communicated marketing spin. Please stop randomly guessing.
Posted Image

#44 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

This is no confirmation of anything, it's pure developer communicated marketing spin. Please stop randomly guessing.

i agree stop wasting your energy guys the only thing i can go off graphics wise is 360 ports and zombiu which looks worse than the ports ive seen so in sayimg that at this stage i say its on par

#45 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

We will see. Just don't think he said what he did for marketing. Let's say something negative about wii u that would make hardcore gamers iffy about buying my game. Yeah that's the way to market.

#46 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

He also said they had to do that with the PS3. Read what he says. Not the commentary. Did the PS3 lack 3rd party support? Yes, slightly because of the problem he mentioned. It wasn't easy to develop for. Yes the Wii U may not be easy to develop for and a few developers may be lazy and not work with it. I doubt it though since the PS3 didn't really have a massive problem.

Remember, the Xbox 720 is going to have a low clock speed too. Remember, he is probably speaking Japanese and the translation is usually wonky.

Nintendo has confirmed it is A CUSTOM POWER processor. Not a newer Broadway. Not a PoowerPC. POWER. Notice I didn't say POWER7. That is because they are using some of that technology. We can assume they mean edram because that makes sense with streaming to multiple screens. In fact they themselves said thats what they meant.

and your making no sense whats so ever a 3x core broadway with edram catch = a custom cpu HEAD NIN HANDS what do you think i mean 3 ACTUAL WII BROADWAYS TAPED TOGETHER

a tri core high clock speed 45nm broadway = a custom never before seen cpu DOES IT NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DIDNT REALISE THAT BROADWAY HAD EDRAM AND 3 CORES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIGHT THIS IS GETTING DARN SILLY I WANT CASH UP FRONT BETS IL PUT MY LIFES SAVINGS ON 3 BROADWAY 2 CORES WITH EDRAM CATCH THERE U GO FANTASISE ABOUT SERVER CHIPS ALL U LIKE

POWER 7 MY BATTY CREASE

Edited by silverismoney, 10 July 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#47 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

and your making no sense whats so ever a 3x core broadway with edram catch = a custom cpu HEAD NIN HANDS what do you think i mean 3 ACTUAL WII BROADWAYS TAPED TOGETHER

a tri core high clock speed 45nm broadway = a custom never before seen cpu DOES IT NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIGHT THIS IS GETTING DARN SILLY I WANT CASH UP FRONT BETS IL PUT MY LIFES SAVINGS ON 3 BROADWAY 2 CORES WITH EDRAM CATCH THERE U GO FANTASISE ABOUT SERVER CHIPS ALL U LIKE

POWER 7 MY BATTY CREASE

Still the caps lock thing isn't helping your cause here. I'm persuaded by you though because I like the idea of this

- 3x cores
- 1.8Ghz
- 5 threads/core (15 threads)
- L1 Cache 64k (32+32)
- L2 3MB (core 0: 512k, core 1: 2048k, core 2: 512k)
- L3 12MB eDRAM (core 0: 4096, core1: 4096, core2: 4096)

That also matches more with the next gen xbox which will be

Xbox 8

- 8x cores
- 2Ghz
- 2 Threads/core (16 Threads)
- L1 64k (32+32)
- L2 4MB
- L3: 12MB

NOTE: If 4 cores (8 threads) are used for the OS, Kinect 2 and other peripherals. It means that Even if Wii U uses 2 cores for its games and one core for the OS + controllers etc. It leaves The Wii U outperforming the next gen xbox, that is amazing if true!

Edited by Penguin101, 11 July 2012 - 12:16 AM.

#48 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:03 AM

If the devkit spec is correct their is a primary cpu core that requires 2 megabytes of cache and sub cores that only require 0.5 megabytes of cache all connected to the same memory bus. Its likely the primary core is 4x as powerful thereabouts as the 2 sub cores otherwise the system would have a cpu that was constantly waiting for its cache memory to fill up with the required data for one of its cores. So this could be a multi-thread primary core or simply a much more advanced processor in architecture. If they are all operating at the same speed then it does suggest the support cpus may be based on much older technology like that of the original wii cpu. Seems likely to me one of those sub cores is for wii compatibility mode so is likely to be identical architecture to the wii cpu and clocked down in mhz for wii mode but running at 2x or more for wii u mode.

Like the 3DS it seems like the wii u is configured possibly with a comparitively weaker cpu than gpu arrangement but we don't know the full specification of the wii u gpu anyway. It does sound like my 2x 360/PS3 hopes may not be achieved and the product may actually just end up overall similar performance except for more memory.

Nothing is confirmed but the leaks from developers are not particularly positive so far but then without knowing the exact hardware fitted and how it has been re-designed for wii u it is still guesswork but I do believe people believing the wii u will be comparable to the next xbox or playstation are a bit optimistic to say the least.

#49 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

He never said weak, he said it was clocked lower. Which makes sense. The clock wars were ran into the ground some time ago. There are a lot of old processors now with not good high clock frequencies that get smoked by modern processors at half the clock speed.

The basic concept is doing more instructions per cycle vs jamming more cycles in a second.

The wii u cpu is also confirmed to be out of order processing, which means it can smoke the crap out of anything non floating point related the xenon could do at half the clock speed.

Obviously, software designed to feed small amounts of information at a very rapid pace is going to need some creative solutions to run on hardware designed to feed a much larger amount of information at a slightly slower rate.

I cant believe there are still people perpetuating the MHz myth in this day and age.

Also this 'interview' is pretty much worthless as Tekkens producer, katsuda harada, is blowing up twitter damning the gaming press for putting words in his mouth, telling people the gaming media just says what they want and you can trust no one.

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#50 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

POWER 7 MY BATTY CREASE

Broadway is an older PowerPC, if I sm not mistakrn similar to PowerPC G3. So saying the Wii U has a custom PowerPC (or Broadway) is like saying my iMac has an Intel P4 processor. The technology in it is completely different.

And I find it funn the tekken guy is saying what ge said was taken oit of context... Because I did say that is s possibility.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#51 Press

Press

Thwomp

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Smash, FF, KH, Sonic

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Evidently, people are really bent out of shape because the Wii U isn't the best piece of machinery.

#52 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

all I know is, that POWER PC is a better technology that POWER ... I ve read that recently by a tech guy... I will try find his post (he answered to me) and copy paste it here..

Power 7 cpu, is nice.. if nintendo didnt downgrade it that much.. I mean, originally this cpu is 4 cores 16 threads and 16mb cache..

here it is :

" porting games from x86 to PPC isn't an issue if the PowerPC CPU is reasonably powerful. POWER7 has out of order execution and branch prediction, so it's not that bad. It would easily get outperformed by a modern Intel CPU clock for clock, but that's not a huge deal. "

that gives me the info, that power 7 is a totally different tech, so its harder to port games, especially if these games are for much more powerfull x86 cpus... instead a power PC is much easyer.

thats why power 7 4 cores and 16 threads is about equal to an intel i7 980x (6 cores 12 threads = 98-99 gflops)... And power 7 = 95-96 gflops

Edited by Orion, 11 July 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#53 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

All I'm saying is we have new hardware but they have to find a way to make things work. I'm still getting it day one but don't like the sounds of what I'm hearing.
You guys still aren't getting it. He isn't just saying it runs at a lower speed.he saying they have to find ways to make the game run efficiently trying to get around things the CPU "can't" do. Man just disappointing.
My problem isn't the low clock speed. Its his tone as if they are having to work harder making the game on the Wii U than current gen. This WILL become a problem just watch. This will be a excuse for devs to not port next gen

What next gen console doesn't have this problem?

Also, CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#54 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

rumored less threads than xenon, rumored lower clock speed than ps3 x360 cpu and vgleak states

write gather pipes per core and locked level 1 catch that is clearly the same AS BROADWAY we have 3 powerpc cores single thread dual core mode (hyper threading) with custom graphics write gather pipes and a custom level 2 catch WE CLEARLY HAVE A TRI CORE BROADWAY 2 ether powerpc 32 bit or POWER64bit

likely 32 bit out of order AS WAS BROADWAY then ad in the DSP AND THE LIKELY ARM is this really so hard to fatham

#55 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

all I know is, that POWER PC is a better technology that POWER ... I ve read that recently by a tech guy... I will try find his post (he answered to me) and copy paste it here..

Power 7 cpu, is nice.. if nintendo didnt downgrade it that much.. I mean, originally this cpu is 4 cores 16 threads and 16mb cache..

here it is :

" porting games from x86 to PPC isn't an issue if the PowerPC CPU is reasonably powerful. POWER7 has out of order execution and branch prediction, so it's not that bad. It would easily get outperformed by a modern Intel CPU clock for clock, but that's not a huge deal. "

that gives me the info, that power 7 is a totally different tech, so its harder to port games, especially if these games are for much more powerfull x86 cpus... instead a power PC is much easyer.

thats why power 7 4 cores and 16 threads is about equal to an intel i7 980x (6 cores 12 threads = 98-99 gflops)... And power 7 = 95-96 gflops

I heard the Wii U processor is similar to the 360s so its easier to port games.

#56 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

Why would they make it easier to port last gen games its supposed to be a next gen console but they want it easier to port last gen games ?? What will they do when next gen comes out and Nintendo have planned there console to make 360 ports??

It's really really really stupid .

Nintendo will not release the specs because there CRAP!!!!!!

#57 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

it is damaging nothing the INTENTION IS TO DAMAGE WIIU!!!! THATS THE DEVELOPERS INTENTION!!! DID 6 YEARS OF WII HATE DAMAGE Wii answer NO....

only idiots get sucked into this and idiots dont buy nintendo anyway the buy sonys and ms's

the whole thing is clearly PROVEN WHEN LOOKING AT BOTH PS3 AND X360S CPU

its funny 3.2ghz was in pc marketing considered top end then sony said all this hype about one day consoles cpu clock will match pc WHEN SONY SAID THAT I NEW THEY WERE MARKETING TO DUMMYS a consoles cpu doesn't need to match a pc to rape it in performance thats commonsense

then both x360 and ps3 IRONICALLY HAD IDENTICAL CLOCK SPEEDS they were so obsessed with out doing each other in MEANINGLESS CLOCK SPEEDS they ended up at the exact same place

WHY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! because idiots the usual hardcore suspects think a clock speed is how powerful a cpu is and all cpus are the same DUMB MOTHER F**KERS

xbox 360 was called 360 for one reason to get a 3 next to xbox as ps was ps 3 the xbox with a 2 in marketing to DUMMYS would look inferior the 360 name was invented to get a 3 in there THIS IS SERIOUSLY DUMB LEVELS OF MARKETING AND REMEMBER MS IS DUMB AT HARDWARE SELLING!!!!!!

the powerPE core of xenon and cell is so out of date and backward and so inline many cpu experts have stated its like really old tech from pre pentium 1 era cpus the clock speed was so high so it could actually perform and also for marketing

OH LOOK THE CPUS 3.2GHZ the fact its iners was like total horse crap even vs a intel atom seems not to compute with the fanboys

a pentium 4 at 2.8ghz from years ago would kill a xenon there that bad and remember xenon is doing i/o os / sound and all general purpose cpu work

xenon is so weak even sound processing can take up a whole core THATS SAD SERIOUSLY SAD at minimum sound takes up half a core

a 1.6ghz dual core sandy bridge celeron out performs xenon at gaming WHILST RUNNING WINDOWS AND ALL THE PC GUFF AT THE SAME TIME THE XENON IS WEAK PROVE IT ISNT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

if we are indeed looking at a sub 2.0ghz tri core 45nm improved broadway it will kick the living zhit out of xenon at 3.2ghz then ad the gpu COMPUTE HARDWARE AND THE DSP AND THE LIKELY ARM CPU

ITS CLEAR TO A NORMAL THINKING PERSON IT WIPES THE DIRTY FLOOR WITH XENON

i love how fan boys think cpu vs cpu when the very way the machine works is different the architecture!!!!! of the hardware

its not cell vs wiiu cpu cell was a gpu a cpu a sound dsp and ,many other things and the gpu was weak

wiiu is a tri core cpu plus a DSP PLUS A ARM VS A XENON I LOVE HOW THE 2 OTHER PROCESSORS ARE IGNORED

and i love how the gpus compute shader power is also ignored BUT THERE HARDCORE RIGHT AND THEY KNOW SPECS LOL THEY PLAY FPS WITH TWIN ANALOGS I WOULDN'T LISTEN TO THEM IF I WAS PAYED TO

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh one other way of looking at this if you can actually think for ones self

imagine the gpu find by metal dave was the wiiu gpu it has 480 shaders lets say a developer wanted to use 80 shaders as compute flouting point engines as a extra cpu boost

you would have 3 cores cpu then 80 gpu shader pipes as extra sims fpu number crunch power

so 3 out of order cpus each with dual 32 bit sims them 80 sims shader engines then the DSP and then the ARM lets call each one a thread

i count each core each fpu and each shader is a thread right i count 91 threads there

cell had what 8 ish x360 xenon had 6 STARTING TO SEE THE PICTURE

80 shaders at 600 to 800 mhz vs 6 spes on cell at 3.2gghz and remember each task costs a thread on cell sound o/s i/o graphics multipul cell threads cpu etc etc etc all on a unreliable hard to code very inline tiny catch memory cell

before we even look at the sound processor and the ARM and the compute shaders on wiiu we could be looking at 3x out of order cores 6 fpu threads

I DONT SEE WEAK I SEE WELL DESIGNED CONSOLE

ignore opening line i posted this rant at nintengen also it applys there

what really pisses me off is people calling cell the cpu of ps3 ITS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO POWERFUL CORRECTION CELL WAS A O/I PROCESSOR AND A SOUND PROCESSOR AND A OS PROCESSOR AND A GPU SHALL I GO ON IT WAS A DPO IT ALL STUPID DESIGN THAT ALL SAID AND DONE WAS WEAK AS PISS IN REALITY VS A INTEL DUALCORE AT 1.6GHZ IN GAMING LOL

cell was cpu/gpu/sound with its crappy inine powerPE core and its krippeled spe's if we have a tri core broadway deal in wiiu then the compute shaders in gpu then the dsp and then the ARM and still the gpu owns RSX isnt it clear the wiiu is cough cough far from weak

Edited by silverismoney, 12 July 2012 - 12:12 AM.

#58 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

Im not a Nintendo hater or anything but it seems that they are relying on ports. They want to drill it into people's heads that " it's easy for ps360 games to be ported to wii u " the ps360 is coming to an end. We have maybe 1 2 years max of ps360 ports until the next gen consoles role through......then what for wii u? That next Zelda game tha due to come out the following year?? Is that enough to keep people happy with the wii u?

Also take this for example.. The n64 is first getting unveiled so they unveil it showing ports of sea mega drive games.. I know it maybe not that extreme. But then again. Seen one " exclusive" for wii u ( well one that's worth mentioning) which was zombiu. And it looks graphically inferior to a 6year old console.

Now they're all saying its going to be graphically inferior to the nex wave of Xbox and ps. "but not by much"
Thats a big assumption to make. Basically there saying this is the level the wii u should be o but we are not going to make it like that cause were Nintendo and we hope that our couple of good franchises that we have flogged for over a decade will be enough.

For me to buy this console it needs to be dirt cheap . If there charging full pric as a next gen system I won be getting fooled again like I did with the wii

#59 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:35 AM

Im not a Nintendo hater or anything but it seems that they are relying on ports. They want to drill it into people's heads that " it's easy for ps360 games to be ported to wii u " the ps360 is coming to an end. We have maybe 1 2 years max of ps360 ports until the next gen consoles role through......then what for wii u? That next Zelda game tha due to come out the following year?? Is that enough to keep people happy with the wii u?

Also take this for example.. The n64 is first getting unveiled so they unveil it showing ports of sea mega drive games.. I know it maybe not that extreme. But then again. Seen one " exclusive" for wii u ( well one that's worth mentioning) which was zombiu. And it looks graphically inferior to a 6year old console.

Now they're all saying its going to be graphically inferior to the nex wave of Xbox and ps. "but not by much"
Thats a big assumption to make. Basically there saying this is the level the wii u should be o but we are not going to make it like that cause were Nintendo and we hope that our couple of good franchises that we have flogged for over a decade will be enough.

For me to buy this console it needs to be dirt cheap . If there charging full pric as a next gen system I won be getting fooled again like I did with the wii

Just curious, when have you seen or heard a Nintendo representative say that it is easy to port Playstation 3 and Xbox360 games to Wii U? I've seen message board posts, bloggers, a third party dev or two, and maybe a few journalists make this claim, but I do not recall a Nintendo representative stating that Wii U would accept ports from PS3 and 360 easily. The only mentioning of the competition's consoles is of their next generation machines when Iwata stated that he believes that Wii U may be slightly behind graphically, but not enough to be harmful to Wii U's version of multiplat games.

Also, I have no doubt that easily porting PS3 and 360 games is true, but for lack of a better term, duh. Of course a next generation console is easily going to accept ports from the previous generation. And as stated above, Nintendo is telling you that Wii U will easily accept ports from the compeitition's next generation consoles.

You're right that we havn't seen that "OMG these graphics a sweeeet" game yet. But I would submit to you that we havn't seen everything yet by a long shot. Here is an encouraging article: http://mynintendonew...oming-to-wii-u/ . I'm sure you're aware that new consoles usually don't see a significant graphics boost from the previous generation until it's been out for about 12 months.

And for ZombiU specifically, yes the graphics weren't mind blowing, but, have you asked your self if it looks.... fun?? Keza Macdonald thought so, stating, "It's no exaggeration to say that ZombiU is a potential system-seller at the moment. It's classic survival horror, but with modern tools.". You should read the article: http://www.ign.com/a...survival-horror .

Nintendo has strived to provide unique experiences at a affordable prices since the Nintendo DS launched in 2004. They strayed fom the affordable price thing with 3DS, and they had to adjust the price accordingly. In order to enjoy a Nintendo console, you must be willing to give a little on the graphics front in order to indulge in the unique experiences. Nintendo learned a lesson with Wii. They are not going to be leaps and bounds behind in the eighth generation. They are going to offer consumers unique experiences with competitive graphics at a price that will be affordable to many. If that's not acceptable for you, then perhaps Wii U isn't for you.

Edited by Fig, 12 July 2012 - 04:38 AM.

#60 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:37 AM

We shouldn't expect Nintendo to operate at a loss. Sony and Microsoft have lost serious money on their gaming businesses and wrote off a lot of money. They bought cutting edge hardware to the market place at a subsidised price. Nintendo rely on their console business totally. They are trying to compete but know they need to make money on their products and never before have they faced such stiff competition from alternative means of gaming. Its a tough business. Nintendo make fantastic games, sometimes utterly charming games that its enjoyable to get lost in, and think you are somewhere else while you play them. Even if the wii U ends up as similar performance to current gen its still massively superior to the wii that delivered many fantastic gaming experiences. The wii u will likely launch at a price well below the next generation and also when they arrive it will be cheaper again. The fact it doesn't have a harddrive or cutting edge technology will mean it will be cheaper to manufacture. If the wii u does surprise us positively in power terms that will be great but I think its naive to think it will be a powerful system. Nintendo's recent history would indicate they won't go that route and developer leaks indicate performance that may even be below current gen in some ways.

I don't believe the PS3 or 360 are close to end of life. Both platforms are probably going to be with us for many years. Sony often pushes ageing hardware into poorer countries like South America etc and even in Japan it will likely sell as a budget choice for many years. Likely to get a solid state flash memory at some point removing the need for a hard drive. Microsoft has ambitions it seems to use the 360 as the basis of a set top box for cable, satellite etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!