Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Lemme just say a few things.
  • I personally don't think UE4 was that impressive. To me, it's one of those things that should have been worked on/optimized for another two years or so and THEN announced.
  • While I personally don't care for UE4 (like TRON had said, the Unreal 3.9 demo was much, much more impressive) it is good that the Wii U can run it, even if just for future games.
Ok, I'm done. Carry on with your lives. ;P

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#22 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

That's why i'm saying Epic is choosing not to work on Wii U.

Oh yes. I am totally agreeing with you, and adding a metric ton of observable evidence to your argument.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#23 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

Wait why is everyone so negative about this, it's GREAT news, and the fact that Unreal 3's latest version works extremely well with the console is very promising, it's completely sold me on the Wii U, I'm less worried about the specs!

Who cares if Epic wont support it, they didn't support the 3DS and Ubisoft managed to get Unreal 2.5 working on there fine.

#24 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

end of story really, UE4 can be run on wii u and iphones even. you know what this means? it means all next gen multiplats CAN come to wii u and will if we all buy third party wii u games from day 1!! i plan to support third parties as best as i can on wii u, fortunately im not familiar with pikmin and my sister will get super mario bros u so all i have to buy is third party stuff for launch. the only thing holding third parties back is a possible lack of faith in the install base (us) so we need to prove them wrong
Posted Image

#25 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

Oh yes. I am totally agreeing with you, and adding a metric ton of observable evidence to your argument.

:-) I know!

Wait why is everyone so negative about this, it's GREAT news, and the fact that Unreal 3's latest version works extremely well with the console is very promising, it's completely sold me on the Wii U, I'm less worried about the specs!

Who cares if Epic wont support it, they didn't support the 3DS and Ubisoft managed to get Unreal 2.5 working on there fine.

Because Wii U is weak. It can't possibility run next gen. I mean, it can run Unreal 3.9 -- which currently looks better than UE4.

But no, Wii U just can't even run Halo 4 level of graphics, don't ya know?

end of story really, UE4 can be run on wii u and iphones even. you know what this means? it means all next gen multiplats CAN come to wii u and will if we all buy third party wii u games from day 1!! i plan to support third parties as best as i can on wii u, fortunately im not familiar with pikmin and my sister will get super mario bros u so all i have to buy is third party stuff for launch. the only thing holding third parties back is a possible lack of faith in the install base (us) so we need to prove them wrong

Amen!
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#26 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

Um...

so somehow Epic is saying Unreal 4 is too goo so it has to be out on PC...

because this (Epics first UE4 game, Fortnight, only on PC)...

Posted Image

is obviously so much better than this:

Posted Image

And for posterity's sake, Unreal 2:

Posted Image

Truthfully, it is political.

btw, the Wii U may or may not already have run a test compilation of UE4 and passed with flying colors.

Once Epic has convince enough people to sign new licensing deals with the artificial "our engine is too advanced for anything other than the most expensive PC at the moment" argument, then they will compile the engine for Power. you know, AFTER it is already available on little devices you call your grandma with.

Epic's "problem" is that they have done such a great job on Unreal 3.9 that it is difficult to see the upgrade in UE4. So imagine "The Samaritan" but with lots of dandelions blowing in the wind during the day and lots of fireworks and fireflies at night. And that's the kind of upgrade you can look forward to.

Yes, I am somewhat joking, but not by much. Epic has put a lot of effort into making certain things possible in UE4 that just may not really matter that much in games unless a game is built specifically to show it off. "Special effects" are always great and can really enhance a game, but what I believe the majority of gamers want is a true upgrade to the core graphics. the texture resolution, the geometry, the color handling, etc. It appears that UE4 is making strides here, but nothing groundbreaking.

UE4 will be further optimized and it will be a true next gen engine. Their only real competition at this point looks possibly to be coming from surprise entrant Fox Engine and in some ways CryEngine as well. The way that Fox Engine handles geometry, color and lighting is insane. Of course, id Software always has something in the oven...

*Note* The above is merely one man's opinion and does not represent the views. either whole or in part, of thewiiul.com, Epic Games, Konami, Nintendo Co. ltd., Microsoft, Konami, Crytek, Activision, or any of their subsidiaries, and shouldn't affect reputation in the industry, online, or inpersonal matters. Furthermore, any negatives seen in software technology is merely opinion and covered under the right to free speech. Any imposition of unfavorable consequences for what amounts to expression of personal opinion will be taken as not a complaint against an individual, but as an affront to the constitution of the country in which the expressee resides and maintains citizenship. Have a nice day.

#27 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

I had to add this to my comments -- and others -- who saying Unreal 4 not only can run on Wii U, but it doesn't have to be "down scaled". The problem lies in Epic's unwillingness to do the work for developers due to the technology in the Wii U being so different then the others.

President Iwata was asked recently if Wii U can support Unreal 4, and he said “I think that the Wii U will be powerful enough to run very high spec games but the architecture is obviously different than other consoles so there is a need to do some tuning if you really want to max out the performance,” Iwata said (IGN.com)

He goes on to say that Nintendo's goal with the Wii U is not to create the most powerful console, because they are making the Wii U with the GamePad, they have to be economical with the console. But they fact he was BOLDLY asked if the Wii U CAN handle Unreal 4, and he BOLDLY and SMARTLY said the Wii U can run high spec games, and confirmed what some of us -- including me -- having been saying that it is not a question of power, but Epic's (and now other developers since Epic is not doing the work for them) choice to port it to their console.

Basically, it's not Nintendo's job to do their job. It's Nintendo's job to make sure it can run their games, and that they have consumers to sell too. And Nintendo IS DOING THAT with the Wii U. And I don't think you can have more of a reliable source then Nintendo themselves. Please note: Nintendo never in the past said the Wii could support high profile games (aka Unreal 3) last time around. Nintendo THIS time is saying it can. Big difference in what they said with Wii and what they are saying with Wii U.

SO STOP WORRYING.

*cough* Okay, rant over. *cough*

lol

#28 JD2995

JD2995

Blooper

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

This is good news, the Wii U can run the Unreal Engine 4. But Epic is a mean company, why don't bring the engine to the Wii U if the console can run it? Now I have to update my list of companies I hate.
Posted Image
Sorry for my bad english

#29 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

because its not made for it it has to be downscaled

#30 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

Actually ur4 is made to be INCREDIBLY scalable.

It was MADE for everything from an iphone to a high end pc.

And uh... Rein just dismissed all 3 next gen consoles in his most recent interview, Suggesting he made unreal 3's samaritan for next gen consoles, not ur4. He says the engine is scalable enough to work with the consoles if his customers want to port the ur4 engine to the console.... But Epics not doing it.

Edited by 3Dude, 12 July 2012 - 07:20 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#31 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

This is good news, the Wii U can run the Unreal Engine 4. But Epic is a mean company, why don't bring the engine to the Wii U if the console can run it? Now I have to update my list of companies I hate.

The Wii U will support UE4, it's just Epic is not bringing any of there games to the Wii U that will use UE4 (it could always change in the future).

#32 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

I'm in the same boat, all the games I'm getting at launch are third party titles.

#33 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:43 PM

Why is everyone worried? It means the gap between Wii U and Xbox 8 is smaller this time and if companies want to they can scale the game back without too much effort?

#34 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

ive had enough just give me my n64 back

#35 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

Spaceworld 2000 Zelda looked better then Wind Waker.

You might like the 'art style' better because it was 'dark' 'realistic' and 'mature', concepts devs have used to condition gamers this gen to elicit a 'better graphics' thought as a response, but ww craps all over the spaceworld demo, with tons of superior lighting (real time vs baked)
per pixel shader work (cell shading vs pre baked textures for shading) and bump mapping (environment mapped bump mapping vs nothing), real time physics including gravity, direction, speed of travel, and wind animating links cap, even with its huge open world and space worlds... small room with nothing in it.

Typically its difficult to distinguish technical proficencies between different art styles without a trained eye.

Its easier in that case to compare similar styles.

Try comparing the ww tech demo to ww, and the space world demo to tp.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#36 dkrumble725

dkrumble725

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Fandom:
    Chrono Trigger, SMT, DKC, and alot more.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

I don't really care one way or the other. Every time Epic steps into something, it turns into crap.
Posted Image
I SHALL PASS WITH RAMBI

#37 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

epic clearly NOT supporting wiiU and frankly i dont give a darn considering crytech 3 was out performing un 4 2 years ago with ease and un3 is a massivly over hyped engine and as is usual at epic anything outside of gothic fps castles and zhit the engine stinks

multi platform run of the mill middleware and engines interest me as much as naked guys AS IN NOT AT ALL ,,,give me a coded to the metal wiiU engine bulit to assemly level code on wiiU hardware then im interested

I don't really care one way or the other. Every time Epic steps into something, it turns into crap.

TRUE DAT

#38 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

I had to add this to my comments -- and others -- who saying Unreal 4 not only can run on Wii U, but it doesn't have to be "down scaled". The problem lies in Epic's unwillingness to do the work for developers due to the technology in the Wii U being so different then the others.

President Iwata was asked recently if Wii U can support Unreal 4, and he said “I think that the Wii U will be powerful enough to run very high spec games but the architecture is obviously different than other consoles so there is a need to do some tuning if you really want to max out the performance,” Iwata said (IGN.com)

He goes on to say that Nintendo's goal with the Wii U is not to create the most powerful console, because they are making the Wii U with the GamePad, they have to be economical with the console. But they fact he was BOLDLY asked if the Wii U CAN handle Unreal 4, and he BOLDLY and SMARTLY said the Wii U can run high spec games, and confirmed what some of us -- including me -- having been saying that it is not a question of power, but Epic's (and now other developers since Epic is not doing the work for them) choice to port it to their console.

Basically, it's not Nintendo's job to do their job. It's Nintendo's job to make sure it can run their games, and that they have consumers to sell too. And Nintendo IS DOING THAT with the Wii U. And I don't think you can have more of a reliable source then Nintendo themselves. Please note: Nintendo never in the past said the Wii could support high profile games (aka Unreal 3) last time around. Nintendo THIS time is saying it can. Big difference in what they said with Wii and what they are saying with Wii U.

SO STOP WORRYING.

*cough* Okay, rant over. *cough*

lol

Amen. No need to worry. Besides, if graphics are that important to you, stick to your pc.
No sig.

#39 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

Amen. No need to worry. Besides, if graphics are that important to you, stick to your pc.

Preach it, Father Kevin!

#40 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:19 AM

excuse me ITS MAde for phones but wiiu NOT and wiiu needs a down scale EXCUSE ME A PHONE IS MORE POWERFUL THAN Wii U EXCUSE ME

epic HATE nintendo he is clearly making that point and nothing has changed LOL AT FOR PHONES BUT NOT Wiiu

AND LOL @ MULTI PLATFORM ENGINES I WANT WIIU ENGINES

Edited by silverismoney, 17 July 2012 - 01:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!