Photo

Gordon: Nintendo to become a software only company... (Wii U Daily)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 dkrumble725

dkrumble725

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Fandom:
    Chrono Trigger, SMT, DKC, and alot more.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

An interesting article that can be found at wiiudaily,..
http://wiiudaily.com...e-only-company/

Does anyone actually agree with Bing Gordon? In my opinion, the exact thing he says will happen to Nintendo, I believe is happening to Sony in the next generation. What do you think?
Posted Image
I SHALL PASS WITH RAMBI

#2 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

Don't see it happening. Nintendo certainly seems incredibly stubborn about developing software for third party systems, and that attitude does them well. What people also need to consider is that Sega was in a god-awful financial situation when the Dreamcast launched, and after the Saturn their opinion amongst a lot of gamers was lower than that of Nintendo's after the Wii. They were almost bound to drop out of the market, meanwhile I think Nintendo's doing well enough right now that they could probably pull themselves out alive even if the Wii U did do badly.

Remember that the GCN was Nintendo's worst selling system and is generally regarded as a failure, but even that made profit for Nintendo. As far as I'm aware, the 3DS is one of the very few times they've had to sell hardware at a loss.

Posted Image

#3 AwesomeAustin

AwesomeAustin

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo franchises and characters

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

I disagree. Nintendo has strong and stable franchises that have lasted for years and Sega only had one commercially successful franchise, Sonic the Hedgehog. If the Wii U fails, which I doubt, HELLO! Wii U Forums XD, It would bring Nintendo down, but sales for Nintendo's franchises and the 3DS and DS would keep Nintendo in the game. At least thats what I think.

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

The industry as a whole will get there eventually.
I don't think Nintendo are causing themselves to go down the non-proprietary hardware path.

They just won't be able to justify a new hardware purchase to us every 4-6 years in about a decade anymore.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

Nintendo has so much Wii and DS money that they will be able to survive for a couple more generations of consoles that bomb just as bad as the virtual boy. I think if this were to happen it would be 20 or so years down the line.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#6 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

Nintendo is crumbling under Wii and DS money...
Posted Image

#7 AwesomeAustin

AwesomeAustin

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo franchises and characters

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

In other words, Nintendo? a software only company? not in this lifetime. ewe

#8 JD2995

JD2995

Blooper

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

Maybe is the thing he wish, but his wish never going to happen. But I never understand this people, if nintendo someday become a only software company, ¿Why they should release their games in a crap plataform like the iphone?. If that happen, they launch their games in high quality gaming devices not in a cell phone.
Posted Image
Sorry for my bad english

#9 Expansion Pak

Expansion Pak

Enlightened Fanboy

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • NNID:Koopamann14
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon the Series: XY and PS4

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

b.jpg
NINTENDO WILL NEVER BECOME A SOFTWARE ONLY COMPANY!
GORDON! SIT IN THE CORNER AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!
But here's a cookie for saying nice things about Miyamoto ^_^

I shower you with coconut cream pies.

#10 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

This guys works at Zynga now, so he probably wants all the console makers to stop making consoles.

#11 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

I highly doubt it. Nintendo games really only work on Nintendo consoles, g'nawmean?

Also highly doubt that the WiiU is gonna pull a Dreamcast.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#12 blu gamepad

blu gamepad

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

Nintendo has stated once that if their hardware business were to fail, then they would simply back out of the gaming business entirely. Their hardware is their strength on many fronts not only in justifying their games, but in helping shape interesting gameplay mechanics within those games like Mario.

In short, they have no interest in turning 3rd party if such a fate were to occur. If you want Nintendo to continue, be sure to keep purchasing their hardware. ;)

#13 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

Nintendo would NEVER give their games to a 3rd party, let alone publish them to it.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#14 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:55 AM

Why does everyone hate on Nintendo games on other consoles? Is it because of the innovation? I don't care for it that much really, I focus more on games.

I would love Pokemon or zelda PS vita. Or even on the PS3.

Seriously the only real reason I buy Nintendo consoles is the games since the only games that I find fun is from Nintendo now days. Well BF3 is fun but you get it.

28gxdv8.png

#15 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

it wouldnt bother me in the slightest if they did become a software only company

as long as i can still play the games and chances are they would b better graphics too then if they put it on there own systems

#16 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

I could see Nintendo becoming a software only company, but it don't think it'll happen in the near future. I don't see the 3DS and Wii U being as successful as they're predecessors, but I still expect them to sell pretty well over the next few years. I don't see Nintendo leaving the console market as long as they continue to make reasonable profits. To be honest, I wouldn't mind if Nintendo did choose to focus on software; as long as they still produce games, I'm happy.

#17 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

It's for the best.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#18 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

It's for the best.

I thought you don't like Nintendo games anyway, don't you call them boring, kiddy and repetitive on psvforums when talking to buruburu?
Why would you want to play boring, repetitive, kiddy games on other consoles rather than consoles designed for those boring, repetitive, kiddy games in mind?
You seem silly to me.

Iwata wouldn't pull out of games if they couldn't make consoles, he was just trying to get the investors who want iOS mario off his back.
Their consoles sell because of their exclusive game series.
Eventually they won't be able to convince enough people that they need a Nintendo console to play Nintendo games, and at that point I'm reasonably sure Iwata or whoever is in charge would make games for non-competing platforms (like iOS).
By non-competing I mean to say Apple don't make games themselves.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#19 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

I thought you don't like Nintendo games anyway, don't you call them boring, kiddy and repetitive on psvforums when talking to buruburu?
Why would you want to play boring, repetitive, kiddy games on other consoles rather than consoles designed for those boring, repetitive, kiddy games in mind?
You seem silly to me.

My favourite Nintendo series is probably Metroid, a series that Nintendo loves to neglect because it doesn't have that mass appeal that the more child friendly franchises have. Nintendo only developing for their own systems limits them greatly in what audience they're designing their games for, if they were to develop for another system that had more appeal to core gamers we would see an increase in the quality of their games. Nintendo places limitations on themselves with their systems, their focus is on mass appeal with gimmickry rather than offering the best game possible for gamers. If Nintendo were to develop for other systems without these limitations and without the casual market as the primary audience in mind they could make such better games.

If I'm silly, you're silly too.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#20 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

My favourite Nintendo series is probably Metroid, a series that Nintendo loves to neglect because it doesn't have that mass appeal that the more child friendly franchises have. Nintendo only developing for their own systems limits them greatly in what audience they're designing their games for, if they were to develop for another system that had more appeal to core gamers we would see an increase in the quality of their games. Nintendo places limitations on themselves with their systems, their focus is on mass appeal with gimmickry rather than offering the best game possible for gamers. If Nintendo were to develop for other systems without these limitations and without the casual market as the primary audience in mind they could make such better games.

If I'm silly, you're silly too.

I disagree.

How many times have Nintendo said they make games everyone can play?
They don't want to focus on your hardcore gaming market because all the blood would make it awkward to play with your grandmother.
Their philosophy wouldn't change.
I think what you want is the current talent to die, and someone who hates Nintendo's mission statement to come in and make games for you and only you.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!