#1 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

Ok. Let me start by saying that I was fairly disappointed with the gamepad. I'm not sure that I loved the ergonomics of the thing, and I didn't play a single game that proved its concept. I think the reason that I didn't really enjoy the system was because they had a significant lack of games available for me to play. I played (in order) P-100 (I felt as though it was a little to complicated for its own good. It needs some work before it can be something outstanding), New Mario U (The only reason that I played it was because they were having a competition, and I wanted to see if my friend and I could win (we didn't lost to 8 year olds lol)), Pikmin 3 (loved it), Batman Arkham City (This is where my problem starts to arise, I will talk about it a little later on), Nintendoland (Favorite game of the event, I was very surprised about that), Rayman Legends (Couldn't tell if the game was just no fun, or the lady demoing it was awful, my guess is that she just sucked), and finally Game & Wario (didn't play more than 5 seconds because the event ended right as I started to play). As I just said Nintendoland was my favorite game of the show simply because it had that pure fun aspect to it. I played the Zelda Mini game as an archer. I didn't think it showed off the controller very well though. As I also just said Batman Arkham City was where my real problem started to occur. First off the game didn't look nearly as good as the PS3/360 versions. Then I got my hands on the game pad. If this game is any indication as to how hardcore games are going to be played with the gamepad, I am going to be as far as humanly possible away from that controller. I have played and beaten Arkham City on my 360, and played quite a bit of it on my PS3, on hard mode I might add. When I picked up the game pad it felt very strange and awkward to use. Why? Well for starters this thing is fairly big, and my hands are placed very far apart. I had a hard time getting used to it, and I never really got it down, in the time that I played it. Another problem that I had with the game was the use of motion controls, and the touchscreen. The touchscreen seemed to have some input problems, what I mean by this is when dragging an item out of my inventory onto a quick use application the item seemed to lag behind where my finger was. I would compare it to using an older touchscreen that doesn't quite work correctly. (I don't hate the touch screen btw, it seemed to be functioning normally with all of the other games) Another problem that I had with Batman was the inclusion of the motion controls. Now, I don't hate motion controls and I am not blaming my opinion on the Wii U (so far) on the motion controls, or the use of the touchscreen, here all I have to say is that it shouldn't be incorporated in the game at all. It isn't necessarily to the game experience, and the game functions just fine without it. Leave it out.
So, you may be asking yourself, why haven't you explained why you were disappointed with the Wii U yet? I think it has to do with the fact that they didn't have a single game there that was a proof of concept. ZombiU wasn't present, and that (to me anyways) looks to be the game that proves what the gamepad is truly capable of. So why wasn't it there? None of the Nintendo reps knew. This was why I was very disappointed walking out of the event. They didn't prove to me why a touchscreen controller is the future of gameing as they claim it is. Will I still buy one on day one? Yes. I am a Nintendo fanboy I have to. But I still don't see who or why, besides the hardcore fans, that this would appeal to. That is why I made the status that I did. They are making a huge mistake, because this is not what they needed to do to get the hardcore gamers back. I applaud them for trying something new, and I am eager to see what devs can do with the platform, but as of right now, I am not thoroughly convinced, and will probably stick to the Pro Controller until then.

Afterwards:
Ok sorry this took so long to get up. The reason for this is because
1. We hit traffic on the way home, and I am sorry, but I am not typing all that out on my phone.]
2. My friend that I invited with me ended up staying for dinner, and I couldn't leave him to sit there while I took 20 minutes to type all that out. (Be mad at me if you want, but I'm sure that some people agree with me on this part)

Another thing is that I'm sorry this is written so poorly. I normally go back, and check my spelling and grammar, but I'm not doing this here simply because of the length of the thing. Sorry lol.

I saw a post on my status, with someone saying that I better not have a stupid reason for being disappointed with it. I'm sorry if this was a stupid reason, I don't think it was, I went in there with the highest of expectations, that is just the way that I feel.

Also do I break some kind of record for most legitimate replies to a status? There were over 50 responses. Lol.

Video that I shot will be up sometime tomorrow. I will link to it then. I am to tired to upload it tonight.

I want to thank you all for reading this. Please tell me what you think of it bellow, I look forward to seeing what everyone thinks. :)

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#2 aaron

aaron

noraA

• Members
  • 756 posts
  • Fandom:
    You

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

Also do I break some kind of record for most legitimate replies to a status? There were over 50 responses. Lol.

Yes, you do.
*gives fake interwebs award*

by chance

#3 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

They are making a huge mistake, because this is not what they needed to do to get the hardcore gamers back. I am not thoroughly convinced, and will probably stick to the Pro Controller until then.

So pretty much you think that they shouldve done this instead for their next console?

Posted Image

#4 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

That was me who said this better not be stupid. Srry. These are legitimate reasons for YOU to be dissapointed, however most of it was opinion, and because you had too much expectation I'm not surprised you were upset. I do think it was stupid not having zombi u, like that is THE game to show off the controller. I will completely agree with you on that. But with batman, who's gonna buy that game anyway. If you haven't already played it chances are you won't be looking to buy it, and if you have, well that answers itself. I'm surprised the graphics were as bad as you say they were??? We're they like that with all games. And I'm glad Nintendo land was fun, everyone is dissing it and I think it will be great. And how was p-100 complicated??? I was looking forward to that game :( Srry for my long reply, and Srry it didn't live up to your great expectations... Hehe..

So pretty much you think that they shouldve done this instead for their next console?

Posted Image

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahaha... LOL... Good reply, although I do love my PS3 and I like its simplicity.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#5 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

I personally think they aren't making a mistake. As the Wii U ages I think games will grasp the controller better and not be so awkward like you said. I think the concept is still new to you and it will take some getting use to. This is sort of what I thought of the Wii at first with it's motion gaming controller, but now I love it (but not as much as a traditional controller still). Nintendo was successful with the Wii and people said the same thing your saying now about the Wii U to the Wii, but look how it turned out. I'm sure the Wii U will be awkward for everyone at first but it will be better as you spend more time with the system.

I'm sure you'll like it eventually, just give it some time.

Edited by Link, 25 August 2012 - 07:02 PM.

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#6 SolxBurst

SolxBurst

Okami Amaterasu

• Writers
  • 630 posts
  • NNID:SolxBurst
  • Fandom:
    Okami, Fire Emblem, Legend of Zelda

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hmm, it seems to me that you were more disappointing with the Wii U experience event not having certain things, and Batman.

I played (in order) P-100 (I felt as though it was a little to complicated for its own good. It needs some work before it can be something outstanding)

Was it the fact you had to draw out every transformation or what?

this thing is fairly big, and my hands are placed very far apart. I had a hard time getting used to it, and I never really got it down, in the time that I played it.

I imagine we will all have to get used to this new controller, it took me almost 2 months to get used to the xbox controller the first time i got my xbox.

All in all, this event is to show the majority of the public stuff that is now over 2 months old. But hopefully your concerns are addressed.

2jd1178.jpg

"...A well written villain is a hero in his/her own world..."

#7 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

I personally think they aren't making a mistake. As the Wii U ages I think games will grasp the controller better and not be so awkward like you said. I think the concept is still new to you and it will take some getting use to. This is sort of what I thought of the Wii at first with it's motion gaming controller, but now I love it (but not as much as a traditional controller still). Nintendo was successful with the Wii and people said the same thing your saying now about the Wii U to the Wii, but look how it turned out. I'm sure the Wii U will be awkward for everyone at first but it will be better as you spend more time with the system.

I agree. I think we will get used to the controls and begin to realize there great qualities. And I don't think it will take that long. Probably shorter than the wii.

I guess this is part of the reason for this event, too get feedback and address it before its too late :) be glad it's just a demo and it can be fixed :)

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#8 Mignaga

Mignaga

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

Posted Image

No I don't think that we should have another console generation, where better graphics is all we get. They need to prove themselves though. They can't just say that, "This is the future of gaming", and then not show off why.

That was me who said this better not be stupid. Srry. These are legitimate reasons for YOU to be dissapointed, however most of it was opinion, and because you had too much expectation I'm not surprised you were upset. I do think it was stupid not having zombi u, like that is THE game to show off the controller. I will completely agree with you on that. But with batman, who's gonna buy that game anyway. If you haven't already played it chances are you won't be looking to buy it, and if you have, well that answers itself. I'm surprised the graphics were as bad as you say they were??? We're they like that with all games. And I'm glad Nintendo land was fun, everyone is dissing it and I think it will be great. And how was p-100 complicated??? I was looking forward to that game :( Srry for my long reply, and Srry it didn't live up to your great expectations... Hehe..

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahaha... LOL... Good reply, although I do love my PS3 and I like its simplicity.

The graphics weren't that bad, but I thought the lighting and shadows looked better on the other version of the game. Everything else looked fine, especially Pikmin 3 which looked incredible. P-100 was complicated because I just felt as though I were pressing button, and was slowly making progress. Maybe it was because I was just playing a demo version of the game, and it takes a little bit to get used to. I am still looking forward to it, and you should be too. It will be fun.

I'm sure you'll like it eventually, just give it some time.

You are right. I think as soon as I get my hands on a game that uses it well I will start to like it more. I just can't say that I am convinced yet. I would love to be proved wrong.

Hmm, it seems to me that you were more disappointing with the Wii U experience event not having certain things, and Batman.

Was it the fact you had to draw out every transformation or what?
[/font][/color]
I imagine we will all have to get used to this new controller, it took me almost 2 months to get used to the xbox controller the first time i got my xbox.

All in all, this event is to show the majority of the public stuff that is now over 2 months old. But hopefully your concerns are addressed.

They should have had every game that would show off the gamepad well there. So yes my disappointment probably does stem off from the fact that they had stuff missing. As for my disappointment with Batman, I only played it because I wanted to be able to compare a game that I have played with a normal controller to one with the gamepad. The gamepad did not do the game justice to say the least.
See my response above to see why I thought what I thought of P-100.

Mig_Sig.png

#9 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

Im a little disappointed that that's what the big complaint was all about... I spent all day expecting horrible awful news. The fact that the controller felt and controlled weird should have been expected.. Its a bummer ZombiU wasnt there but not a huge deal. Didnt expect too much from batman from the videos i saw (I still dont know why thats even a Wii U title... seems abit late for it) but it is a 360/ps3 port, im sure once they start making original games they will look better on Wii U. P-100 looked like a jumbled mess in the videos durnig e3 so its no surprise that it plays like a jumbled mess. Im sure Raymans fun, and then you enjoyed Pikmin and Nintendoland. So it seems like there really is no complaint that is anything to deter me or anyone else from buying it.

The Wii U will get 3rd party support and Nintendo 1st party all with the capability of 1080p if they want, There are 3 different control options to use to suit just about anyones preference...Seems like the perfect plan to get hardcore back and still maintain the curious casual

(all in all i am very relived that all that was the mistake)

#10 starraters

starraters

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

can you tell me how long you played the archam city game because im thinking the akwardness was because of having a new controller like if you go from xbox 360 controller to ps3 controller after a couple of days you wont have to look down to figure out witch is the X button and witch is the triangle so im just saying i think if you played the wii u for a couple of days then you wouldn't have been so akward

I agree when you say this isnt the future of gaming i dont think a game pad is going to be a must for every console to come but i think one of the main uses for the gamepad is just for a better user experience like navigating the OS or typing out messages or navigating the internet or like a drawing app or for casual games that you can play only on the gamepad like a chess game that you could play online or with a friend right next to you

#11 Mignaga

Mignaga

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:44 PM

Im a little disappointed that that's what the big complaint was all about... I spent all day expecting horrible awful news. The fact that the controller felt and controlled weird should have been expected.. Its a bummer ZombiU wasnt there but not a huge deal. Didnt expect too much from batman from the videos i saw (I still dont know why thats even a Wii U title... seems abit late for it) but it is a 360/ps3 port, im sure once they start making original games they will look better on Wii U. P-100 looked like a jumbled mess in the videos durnig e3 so its no surprise that it plays like a jumbled mess. Im sure Raymans fun, and then you enjoyed Pikmin and Nintendoland. So it seems like there really is no complaint that is anything to deter me or anyone else from buying it.

The Wii U will get 3rd party support and Nintendo 1st party all with the capability of 1080p if they want, There are 3 different control options to use to suit just about anyones preference...Seems like the perfect plan to get hardcore back and still maintain the curious casual

(all in all i am very relived that all that was the mistake)

Sorry to worry you. Lol. My intent was to get home, and make this as fast as possible so all of your questions could be answered, but that didn't end up happening to the reasons I listed above. I still recommend everyone goes and picks up the console when it comes out. The thing is that I was just not convinced that this is the future of gaming like Nintendo seems to think it is.

can you tell me how long you played the archam city game because im thinking the akwardness was because of having a new controller like if you go from xbox 360 controller to ps3 controller after a couple of days you wont have to look down to figure out witch is the X button and witch is the triangle so im just saying i think if you played the wii u for a couple of days then you wouldn't have been so akward

I agree when you say this isnt the future of gaming i dont think a game pad is going to be a must for every console to come but i think one of the main uses for the gamepad is just for a better user experience like navigating the OS or typing out messages or navigating the internet or like a drawing app or for casual games that you can play only on the gamepad like a chess game that you could play online or with a friend right next to you

I played Arkham City for about 5 minutes before I gave up, and got kicked out of the booth for recording video off of the game pad. (Yes that actually happened.) I really hope that I can get used to the controller. I wouldn't recommend getting Arkham City on Wii U if you have any means to play it otherwise I suggest that.

Mig_Sig.png

#12 aaron

aaron

noraA

• Members
  • 756 posts
  • Fandom:
    You

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

Am I the only one that read absolutely nothing of the first post, other than trying to find something?

by chance

#13 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

I think that the GamePad will take some getting used to. When I had my time with it, yes it was big, but what did you expect?

I think the whole Batman conflict was just that GamePad that was glitching out. (And it being a really crappy port.)

ZombiU not being present is definetely a huge mistake. (Like you said, it is clearly the game that shows the Wii U's potential.)

So, in the end, your complaints were:
1. GamePad was too big, and awkward.
2. The Batman port is terrible.
3. And the event in general was one huge missed opportunity.

In my opinion, there really isn't a whole lot to complain about. (Could you maybe make another post explaining why you didn't like the GamePad, but more in depth?)

Maybe once you sit on the couch and play it, not standing up, and for a good amount of time, your complaints will be resolved.

I can see better titles showcasing the GamePad in the future, maybe even indie games on the eShop. (Plus, just think, these are all demos of full games.)

I might post more about this once I think about it more.

Edited by Blake, 25 August 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#14 Expansion Pak

Expansion Pak

Enlightened Fanboy

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • NNID:Koopamann14
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon the Series: XY and PS4

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

I want to buy it :( because I played it before and I liked it but I never owned it because I only own a Wii :(

I do think it was stupid not having zombi u, like that is THE game to show off the controller. I will completely agree with you on that. But with batman, who's gonna buy that game anyway. If you haven't already played it chances are you won't be looking to buy it, and if you have, well that answers itself.

Sorry you were dissappointed Mignaga :( But its only a demo :) Nintendo can still approve upon it.
I wish I could go to one of those hands-on experiences but none seem to be in my area :(
I'm anxious to get my hands on it :D

Edited by Young Koopanort, 25 August 2012 - 08:27 PM.

I shower you with coconut cream pies.

#15 Mignaga

Mignaga

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

I think that the GamePad will take some getting used to. When I had my time with it, yes it was big, but what did you expect?

I think the whole Batman conflict was just that GamePad that was glitching out. (And it being a really crappy port.)

ZombiU not being present is definetely a huge mistake. (Like you said, it is clearly the game that shows the Wii U's potential.)

So, in the end, your complaints were:
1. GamePad was too big, and awkward.
2. The Batman port is terrible.
3. And the event in general was one huge missed opportunity.

In my opinion, there really isn't a whole lot to complain about. (Could you maybe make another post explaining why you didn't like the GamePad, but more in depth?)

Maybe once you sit on the couch and play it, not standing up, and for a good amount of time, your complaints will be resolved.

I can see better titles showcasing the GamePad in the future, maybe even indie games on the eShop. (Plus, just think, these are all demos of full games.)

I might post more about this once I think about it more.

I thought it was a bit awkward to play something that required precision. That is really the only problem I had with the Gamepad itself (not including how it will be useful). I'm sure I will get used to it over time.

I want to buy it :( because I played it before and I liked it but I never owned it because I only own a Wii :(
Sorry you were dissappointed :( But its only a demo :) Nintendo can still approve upon it.
I wish I could go to one of those hands-on experiences but none seem to be in my area :(
I'm anxious to get my hands on it :D

I assume you are talking about Batman. If so I think it is still worth checking out. Bad port or not, it is still a very well made game that I would recomend to anyone. The Wii U version is probably the worst version of it though.

Mig_Sig.png

#16 starraters

starraters

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

heres a comparison between the ps3 and wii u so yeah of coarse its only one shot but the wii u version looks so much better in this shot with a longer draw distance the snow looks alot better the explosion looking more realistic plus everything being more detailed

http://wiiudaily.com...ps3-comparison/

#17 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

heres a comparison between the ps3 and wii u so yeah of coarse its only one shot but the wii u version looks so much better in this shot with a longer draw distance the snow looks alot better the explosion looking more realistic plus everything being more detailed

But that explosion picture is a cutscene. I believe the other one is too.

I looked at gameplay vids and it looks the same as PS3.

#18 Tipzil

Tipzil

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Fandom:
    Link, Pokemon, Nintendo, Minecraft

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

I wouldn't recommend getting Arkham City on Wii U if you have any means to play it otherwise I suggest that.

Guess i'm the only ne then... #Foreveralone
Using your finger to drag items, do you think it might have lagged behind because you didn't use the styalus? (However you spell it)
"I wombo, you wombo, he, she, me wombo, the study of womboligy, come on Spongebob, this is first grade!" ~ Patrick, Spongebob Squarepants

"Nah Nah Nah Man, you see, mah name is An'twan!" ~ Josh, Drake & Josh

#19 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:57 AM

Look at the building to the right.

The wii u one has super textures while the PS3 one has tick tack sharp ones.

Actually think the PS3 version looks better here.

Edited by Hinkik, 26 August 2012 - 01:57 AM.

28gxdv8.png

#20 Jelloman

Jelloman

Spiny

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • NNID:dmanomic
  • Fandom:
    ZELDA mario metriod

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:35 AM

was there any ac3,darksiders 2 or mass effect 3? These are games I am undoubtedly looking forward to getting my hands on.
I'm going to Eurogamer so I will be checking it out for my self check the forum on the 28th to 29th under Wii U games and hardware.

1260993809_bouncing_jello_thumb.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!