Photo

How would Sony's money losts effect the PS4?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Shadiwulf

Shadiwulf

Shy Guy

• Banned
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:39 AM

Would it be smart for them make a less powerful console or would it be a good idea to stay on they overpowered route.

#2 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:02 AM

IMO, Sony's going to be the only company that will make a powerful console, and it may pay off for them, it may not. It's very likely that 4K support will be included, and I'd bet my hamburgers they're gonna try and get another bluray situation going, with the PS4 as a cheap way to get a 4K player. I betcha they make it way more powerful then the Wii U, and then when Microsoft announces that a Kinect 2 will be included with every xbox720 for just 300$, Sony'll be like, "crud."

#3 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Sony's best bet is to make a weak weak console, something weaker than the wii u even (just by a bit) and sell it cheapppp!! they might do well cos of the bad economy. However sony has gone nuts pushing the hell out of 4k resolution TVs as much as they can AND one of the sony reps said they will not make another system until there is a noticable graphical leap... it seems like they've not learnt from their mistake. there is a high chance Sony will try to make a 4K resolution ps4 and fail EPICLY. its like they're destined to be the next SEGA and they're just fulfilling their destiny, cos not everyone has made the move to HD let alone 4K. what on earth is the point in a console that u cant make full use of without buying an insanely expensive 4K TV for. but desperate companies take desperate risks, and cocky Jack Trettons are too proud to make a weak console so it looks like next gen might be sony's last
Posted Image

#4 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

4k is years away from mass market and sony knows it. they will stay far away from that if they are smart. but we'll see. even so it wont be worth it because it wont be noticibly better than xbox or wii u

Signature_Fox.png

#5 HaoSenVastForest

HaoSenVastForest

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Fandom:
    Everything LoZ!!!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

Sony doesn't have the money to make an uber powerful system right now. It is the same thing with the GCN and the Wii. Because the GCN didn't meet all the expectations they weren't able to make the Wii all that powerful. This will work in the same way for Sony because their Vita didn't just fail their expectations it almost made them run for their money. They are still loosing money because of it right now. The PS3 was just able to make them a profit a few months ago too. So now they really cant make a big jump. I think they will just have to innovate this gen and make a Wii power jump.

Posted Image

In a world of Gray and black there is nothing here to take back...

(Words from your local demon and leader of the army of darkness)

#6 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

Two-Words: Cloud-Gaming, and with this result we'll get another Onlive bankruptcy!!!

Hurray!!

Edited by Heyheyharold, 05 September 2012 - 12:21 PM.

I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#7 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

Sony usually surprises us, not in a good way.

2lvmghw.png

#8 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

Sony doesn't have the money to make an uber powerful system right now. It is the same thing with the GCN and the Wii. Because the GCN didn't meet all the expectations they weren't able to make the Wii all that powerful. This will work in the same way for Sony because their Vita didn't just fail their expectations it almost made them run for their money. They are still loosing money because of it right now. The PS3 was just able to make them a profit a few months ago too. So now they really cant make a big jump. I think they will just have to innovate this gen and make a Wii power jump.

i dont think its that simple, wii was made weak because of tactic, not lack of money, GCN was totally successful, it made profit, not a penny lost. they had billions before wii, they have even more billions after wii. Sony's shares are pretty high right now despite their insanely heavy losses. dont ask me why, investors are absolute utter silly ponys, they think the wii u will fail so nintendo stock is low and sony is bleeding money yet investors have confidense in them. anyway because of investors Sony does still have the money to make an uber powerful ps4 just like they're making insanely high tech TVs. ur right that they shouldn't go uber powerful but all the signs are pointing to them making another big leap and another financial disaster for themselves
Posted Image

#9 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

I can swear I read an article somewhere that has a Sony rep saying they aren't even thinking of a PS4 yet...but if they do they won't make the same mistake and spend tons of new processing technology. I can't imagine it will be the jump like they did from PS2 to the cell processors..which still hasn't had its full potential unlocked yet..and most likely never will.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#10 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

IMO, Sony's going to be the only company that will make a powerful console, and it may pay off for them, it may not. It's very likely that 4K support will be included, and I'd bet my hamburgers they're gonna try and get another bluray situation going, with the PS4 as a cheap way to get a 4K player. I betcha they make it way more powerful then the Wii U, and then when Microsoft announces that a Kinect 2 will be included with every xbox720 for just 300$, Sony'll be like, "crud."

As long as it makes me sandwiches I don't care how powerful it is or their financial situation...

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#11 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

Sony isn't going to go out of their way to make a powerful console. The PS3 was a bad business decision. I think that they learned from their mistake on this, and will make something more within reason.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#12 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Sony isn't going to go out of their way to make a powerful console. The PS3 was a bad business decision. I think that they learned from their mistake on this, and will make something more within reason.

i could disagree but agree at the same time. the psvita is like the ps3 except worse. the graphics arent a big enough leap from 3ds to even matter and the game selection isnt the same. its kindof like the ps3 all over again. which sucks.

i hope ps4 is different.

Signature_Fox.png

#13 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

Would it be smart for them make a less powerful console or would it be a good idea to stay on they overpowered route.

You're basically asking if Sony wants to exist or not.

If the XBox "Durango" launches before PS "Orbis", Sony is dead. And I'm talking about the whole company. Plus exclusives like MGS might end up being released on the Wii U and others so there would be pretty much no reason to get the system.

I can swear I read an article somewhere that has a Sony rep saying they aren't even thinking of a PS4 yet...but if they do they won't make the same mistake and spend tons of new processing technology. I can't imagine it will be the jump like they did from PS2 to the cell processors..which still hasn't had its full potential unlocked yet..and most likely never will.

Yeah they have their 10 years plan for the PS3, which is in fact a bad excuse because they can't afford to make it.

Sony's best bet is to make a weak weak console, something weaker than the wii u even (just by a bit) and sell it cheapppp!! they might do well cos of the bad economy. However sony has gone nuts pushing the hell out of 4k resolution TVs as much as they can AND one of the sony reps said they will not make another system until there is a noticable graphical leap... it seems like they've not learnt from their mistake. there is a high chance Sony will try to make a 4K resolution ps4 and fail EPICLY. its like they're destined to be the next SEGA and they're just fulfilling their destiny, cos not everyone has made the move to HD let alone 4K. what on earth is the point in a console that u cant make full use of without buying an insanely expensive 4K TV for. but desperate companies take desperate risks, and cocky Jack Trettons are too proud to make a weak console so it looks like next gen might be sony's last

Now you're mentioning it, it's exactly what happened with the dreamcast.

Edited by Alianjaro, 05 September 2012 - 03:49 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

I'm not sure they have. The PS3 was so expensive.. Sooo expensive.. Then come the Vita, and though it's cheap for what it is, I don't see anyone willing to pay that much for a portable when you have a cheaper one on the market with a better array of games. Sony is seriously relying on the fact that people what better, high end technology and it's been failing for them.

Anyone know if reports on Sony's losses are Game-subsidiary specific or the company as a whole?

#15 Nintendoes

Nintendoes

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

Anyone know if reports on Sony's losses are Game-subsidiary specific or the company as a whole?

Every electronics division that Sony owns is losing money. They break the world record of biggest annual loss year after year. If they overprice and overpower the PS4 the ENTIRE company is dead.

You're basically asking if Sony wants to exist or not.

http://tvtropes.org/...n/TooDumbToLive

Edited by Nintendoes, 05 September 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#16 HaoSenVastForest

HaoSenVastForest

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Fandom:
    Everything LoZ!!!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

i dont think its that simple, wii was made weak because of tactic, not lack of money, GCN was totally successful, it made profit, not a penny lost. they had billions before wii, they have even more billions after wii. Sony's shares are pretty high right now despite their insanely heavy losses. dont ask me why, investors are absolute utter silly ponys, they think the wii u will fail so nintendo stock is low and sony is bleeding money yet investors have confidense in them. anyway because of investors Sony does still have the money to make an uber powerful ps4 just like they're making insanely high tech TVs. ur right that they shouldn't go uber powerful but all the signs are pointing to them making another big leap and another financial disaster for themselves

I can agree with some of what you said but the GCN although not a failure it wasn't the ten zillion systems they were expecting so they weren't willing to put a ultra powered game system on the market. Although Sony is by far richer than Nintendo that often times doesn't matter. This is because they are less willing to put out the investment for annother Über powerful console. Without the investment it is kinda like saying "I can buy a 3DS XL but I don't feel like it." and that is the state Sony is in now. Yes they most certaintly will not ever run out of money but I don't feel they are ready for that big of a budget dedicated twards gaming.

Posted Image

In a world of Gray and black there is nothing here to take back...

(Words from your local demon and leader of the army of darkness)

#17 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

I'm not sure they have. The PS3 was so expensive.. Sooo expensive.. Then come the Vita, and though it's cheap for what it is, I don't see anyone willing to pay that much for a portable when you have a cheaper one on the market with a better array of games. Sony is seriously relying on the fact that people what better, high end technology and it's been failing for them.

Yeah I didn't really think about the whole Vita thing. Maybe they will finally learn from their mistake with the Vita. (At least I hope they aren't so dense that they can't figure out this kind of thing.)

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#18 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:56 AM

Yeah I didn't really think about the whole Vita thing. Maybe they will finally learn from their mistake with the Vita. (At least I hope they aren't so dense that they can't figure out this kind of thing.)

Argh, I really hope so. Stock on Sony is at an all time low.. another mistake will cost them for sure...

#19 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

I can agree with some of what you said but the GCN although not a failure it wasn't the ten zillion systems they were expecting so they weren't willing to put a ultra powered game system on the market. Although Sony is by far richer than Nintendo that often times doesn't matter. This is because they are less willing to put out the investment for annother Über powerful console. Without the investment it is kinda like saying "I can buy a 3DS XL but I don't feel like it." and that is the state Sony is in now. Yes they most certaintly will not ever run out of money but I don't feel they are ready for that big of a budget dedicated twards gaming.

no offense but this is simply as u put it, what you "feel" they would do. but Sony's history proves that they are definitely willing to put insane budgets into gaming which will likely end up in more losses. and your confidense that they will never run out of money is misplaced, far bigger companies than just Sony have gone bankrupt, an airway recently went from very rich to totallly bankrupt and shut down a few months ago, Sony is a very likely candidate for the next big company to go bust, they consistently make all the wrong moves
Posted Image

#20 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

Wow! Everybody here must have majored in business. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!