• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 Coreykun667

Coreykun667

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:25 AM

I was wondering, being that the Wii U is the first console I've ever preordered other than a handheld, I'm really curious because consoles tend to have a bigger launch. Would anyone care to enlighten me on what to expect? I plan on going to a midnight release just for the fun of it. Any precautions I should take, or some advice? Any would be appreciated. Thanks. :o

The Joestars always have a strategy. And that is to...
RUN AWAY joestar-run.gif

#2 hohi

hohi

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

I have never go to any midnight launch (I normally preordered the game/console and got it the next day or at launch day). But because I am working till late night, I do have some advice for you.

It's much safer to go to midnight launch if
1. You or someone drive (Even if the place is pretty close, unless the game store is only next to your house xD).
2. Bring friends with you.

If you're underage then it would probably better if you get it the next day. It's not worth the risk going out at night even if you're not underage.

Edited by hohi, 16 September 2012 - 01:39 AM.

#3 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:04 AM

POPULAR

I was wondering, being that the Wii U is the first console I've ever preordered other than a handheld, I'm really curious because consoles tend to have a bigger launch. Would anyone care to enlighten me on what to expect? I plan on going to a midnight release just for the fun of it. Any precautions I should take, or some advice? Any would be appreciated. Thanks. :o

I've waited in line for midnight launches and camped out over night to get new consoles...several times. You will want to get there early. Figure the average chain to get 40-60 Wii U consoles..could be more or less. If you drive or have someone driving you and they are willing to take you to scope it out...drive by and check out for a line earlier. Some places will have people out in line all day...or if its in a Walmart they will be inside the electronics area since many are open 24/7. Worst feeling ever is to get there like an hour to a half an hour early only to be greeted by 50 people already there.

Step 1: Scope out the line of where you plan on going throughout the day if you have the time and a car/ride

I've never waited in line with anyone..always by myself, but every launch had some really cool people I made friends with in line and hung out with while waiting.

Also is you are going to be in line a prolonged period of time...3+ hours..you may want some munchies and drink....even if you just stuff a can or 2 of mountain dew in pockets and have a small bag of doritos...you will be thankful!

Now....this is important....depending on retailers..they do things differently...some of them will come out and hand out tickets to those in line...so if there are 80 people..and 50 consoles..they will hand them out from the beginning to end of the line. If you get a ticket..just wait for the doors to open and your good to roll. Some places are nice and will come out before hand to tell you how many systems they have.

Other places will do first come first serve...now...this is hit or miss depending on the location and if you have a bunch of jerks in line....waiting in line for the Gamecube..everyone was really cool and just filtered in single file. I've heard stories of other places being quite chaotic..but Nintendo fans are pretty cool..so I wouldn't be worried.

For me its a pretty fun experience...so I mean..not much to do but ..

Step 1: Scope out the line early - if no one is there don't worry....check it out often if its close to check when a line forms...
Step 2: Get in line - preferably with munchies and a drink...bring a lunch bag or something with a sandwich or snacks.
Step 3: Wait patiently and talk it up with fellow Nintendo fans
Step 4: Get super excited ...cause its the Wii U!
Step 5: Go into the store at Midnight.
Step 6: Get your Wii IJ
Step 7: Dance in the parking lot singing your newly acquired Wii U song
Step 8: Go home
Step 9: Play until you fall asleep with the controller in your hand

:D
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#4 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:00 AM

Dont really know what to say. My ebgames/gamestop keeps everything easy.
Show up at 11pm. Finish checking out and paying, then chill till midnight. Then we get kicked out the store lol. Single line to get back in. 5 at a time. Show the recipe and get your game or system and leave.
But also nothing big has came out in a while. The most people that has been there is like 40-45 for a game. I bet the wii u will be more since my store sold out in the deluxe in 1day.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#5 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:06 AM

I've waited in line for midnight launches and camped out over night to get new consoles...several times. You will want to get there early. Figure the average chain to get 40-60 Wii U consoles..could be more or less. If you drive or have someone driving you and they are willing to take you to scope it out...drive by and check out for a line earlier. Some places will have people out in line all day...or if its in a Walmart they will be inside the electronics area since many are open 24/7. Worst feeling ever is to get there like an hour to a half an hour early only to be greeted by 50 people already there.

Step 1: Scope out the line of where you plan on going throughout the day if you have the time and a car/ride

I've never waited in line with anyone..always by myself, but every launch had some really cool people I made friends with in line and hung out with while waiting.

Also is you are going to be in line a prolonged period of time...3+ hours..you may want some munchies and drink....even if you just stuff a can or 2 of mountain dew in pockets and have a small bag of doritos...you will be thankful!

Now....this is important....depending on retailers..they do things differently...some of them will come out and hand out tickets to those in line...so if there are 80 people..and 50 consoles..they will hand them out from the beginning to end of the line. If you get a ticket..just wait for the doors to open and your good to roll. Some places are nice and will come out before hand to tell you how many systems they have.

Other places will do first come first serve...now...this is hit or miss depending on the location and if you have a bunch of jerks in line....waiting in line for the Gamecube..everyone was really cool and just filtered in single file. I've heard stories of other places being quite chaotic..but Nintendo fans are pretty cool..so I wouldn't be worried.

Step 1: Scope out the line early - if no one is there don't worry....check it out often if its close to check when a line forms...
Step 2: Get in line - preferably with munchies and a drink...bring a lunch bag or something with a sandwich or snacks.

Lol, I just imagined myself doing that, but squealing my lungs out when I got a hold of the Wii U.xD

#6 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:33 AM

Lol, I just imagined myself doing that, but squealing my lungs out when I got a hold of the Wii U.xD

LOL

Dont really know what to say. My ebgames/gamestop keeps everything easy.
Show up at 11pm. Finish checking out and paying, then chill till midnight. Then we get kicked out the store lol. Single line to get back in. 5 at a time. Show the recipe and get your game or system and leave.
But also nothing big has came out in a while. The most people that has been there is like 40-45 for a game. I bet the wii u will be more since my store sold out in the deluxe in 1day.

Everywhere is different, and I haven't been to a gamestop midnight launch since...since..never actually..I been to EB Games ones back maybe 10 years ago
Posted Image
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#7 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

I would definitely have to bring my 3DS. I get bored easily. :P

#8 Coreykun667

Coreykun667

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

Thanks guys. :) I do plan on taking some friends with me. As for snacks and things, I've got that covered. There's also a Subway right next to it. :D I also plan to maybe bring a couple of lawn chairs. Hopefully I don't get mugged for my Deluxe Wii U, but I doubt anyone would let that happen, seeing as how there'd be a large crowd, but you never know.. :ph34r:

RUN AWAY joestar-run.gif

#9 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

I'd get there at least 3 hours early, especially if it's a dedicated game store or the place everyone goes to for games. Some people specifically preorder at Toys R Us or Walmart because it's the last place people think of, for example. Less fighting. Scoping out the store is a good idea as mentioned. And the chair haha.

Bring your 3DS, remember to put wireless on and get loads of streetpasses.
Bring an extra layer of clothing. For example, if you check the weather and see "Oh if it were 10 degrees colder I'd need a hat", bring it. Standing/sitting still outside for 3 hours at midnight is colder than walking around lol.

Bringing friends is definitely a good idea in case the place gets rowdy. :)

Edited by Ixchel, 16 September 2012 - 08:43 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

Me and Noona are going to wait in line at Nintendo World 48 hours in advance, that way we are definitely the first to get the system. And about safetly at night it's true that the world is a dangerous place, especially here in NY. So I'm bringing a knife. But I will probably get picked up and driven home so that takes a lot of the worry off of me. Just always try to have friends with you and you should be good.
zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

#11 Coreykun667

Coreykun667

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

I've never really had the opportunity to go to a midnight launch or any console launch at all before this, so I'm very excited. :laugh: But yeah, going out at midnight in the middle of November without a jacket would be quite an unwise thing to do.

RUN AWAY joestar-run.gif

#12 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

I've never really had the opportunity to go to a midnight launch or any console launch at all before this, so I'm very excited. :laugh: But yeah, going out at midnight in the middle of November without a jacket would be quite an unwise thing to do.

That depends on where you live. For example in Australia it's like summer at that time of the year. ;)

#13 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

Me and Noona are going to wait in line at Nintendo World 48 hours in advance, that way we are definitely the first to get the system. And about safetly at night it's true that the world is a dangerous place, especially here in NY. So I'm bringing a knife. But I will probably get picked up and driven home so that takes a lot of the worry off of me. Just always try to have friends with you and you should be good.

Lol that seems cool but I'd be too scared to... sleep out in the open like that. Are you guys gonna take turns watching for trouble? ;P
Posted Image

#14 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

I'm going to add some things if you're in any major/heavy populated city:

1. Come 18-48 hours before hand. I'm not kidding, these things rack up quickly and heavily.

2. Come with an adult (a must) and a friend (not required). This helps when one needs to use the potty or you need to run to a Starbucks to charge electronics. Also for sleep exchanges for safety.

3. Food and warmth is VERY important. Bring money for food, bring blankets and chairs. Brings hot coco and soups in thermos. Also try to minimize luggage as much as possible.

4. Make sure you have transportation planned from beginning to end. Keep a (mental) check list of everything you brought. Make sure you know the area as well in case anything happens and make sure several people know where you will be at all times.

If anyone is in NYC, PM me. There's safety in numbers! Also, the more the merrier. You always meet loads of awesome people camping out. This should be fun :3

#15 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

Lol that seems cool but I'd be too scared to... sleep out in the open like that. Are you guys gonna take turns watching for trouble? ;P

I'll watch for trouble for all 48 hours. I don't plan on sleeping, it's part of the experience to not sleep for the whole time. (Well, part of what I think the experience is.)
zZJ9pHB.png

#16 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

I'll watch for trouble for all 48 hours. I don't plan on sleeping, it's part of the experience to not sleep for the whole time. (Well, part of what I think the experience is.)

Oh Tsu, you're so funny~ I'll bring extra blankets for when you do crash :3

#17 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

My best experience was for the xbox360 ...I dragged my friend mike with me...funny thing is he won a 360 on a mountain dew cap and got it 4 days before launch in the mail...waited to the perfect time and when the 40 people in front of us were slightly quiet ..."HE HAS A 360 IN HIS CAR!!!!!! HE WON IT FROM MOUNTAIN DEW! GET HIM!"

The look on his face was classic..he turned pale as a ghost and everyone looked at him like wwwhhaaaaa??? lol
Posted Image

#18 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

Oh Tsu, you're so funny~ I'll bring extra blankets for when you do crash :3

I won't crash. I will stay up forever. You'll see. And we will record it with our phones every few hours, updating how we are doing. Then we can put it on YT.
zZJ9pHB.png

#19 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

Sounds so fun. xD I'd join if I were actually going to get it at launch :(
Posted Image

#20 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

Sounds so fun. xD I'd join if I were actually going to get it at launch :(

There are a few people that go to first day launches but don't get the system. They like to go for the experience and spending time with people of their culture. It is still fun.
zZJ9pHB.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!