Photo

Unlike Previously stated, Wii U will be sold at a Loss.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

http://mynintendonew...sold-at-a-loss/

This contradicts with...

http://wiiublog.com/...-says-nintendo/

Hopefully it's not a giant margin like Xbox 360 and PS3 had at first, and the hardware is pretty powerful!
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#2 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

I figured this. The Wii U was previously rumored to cost $180 to manufacture. Adding the Wii U GamePad (translated from yen is $170, which would roughly be priced $150 in the US) would mean the console is priced lower than it's worth.

Edited by Dragon, 24 October 2012 - 11:18 AM.

Posted Image

#3 angelo07stang

angelo07stang

Boo

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Metroid, mariokart

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

Wow wii need a nintendo direct more than ever seems like a the news recently is doom and gloom whats next no voice chat shatty online.
Posted Image

#4 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

Wow wii need a nintendo direct more than ever seems like a the news recently is doom and gloom whats next no voice chat shatty online.

What does this do with the fact that we need a Nintendo Direct?

Nintendo wouldn't release that kind of info.

#5 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

I figured this. The Wii U was previously rumored to cost $180 to manufacture. Adding the Wii U GamePad (translated from yen is $170, which would roughly be priced $150 in the US) would mean the console is priced lower than it's worth.

Actually, the $180 included the Gamepad costs, assuming that was true. However assuming your calculations, $180 hardware + $112.50 for the GamePad (25% goes to Retailer), that would be $292.50 in Manufacturing costs. Priced at $299.99, 74.99 would go to retailer, meaning $367.49 in Costs, uh oh!

Yeah they would never say this

Edited by Heyheyharold, 24 October 2012 - 11:24 AM.

I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

#6 angelo07stang

angelo07stang

Boo

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

What does this do with the fact that we need a Nintendo Direct?

Nintendo wouldn't release that kind of info.

Ahh mr negativity again I see. The way you talk to people sometimes blake makes you seem kind of pompas and ignorant . I dont think your trying to be on purpose but Im just putting it out there.

Edited by angelo07stang, 24 October 2012 - 11:26 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

this better be due to a power increase since the previous statement that it wouldn't be sold at a loss.
Posted Image

#8 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

Actually, the $180 included the Gamepad costs, assuming that was true. However assuming your calculations, $180 hardware + $112.50 for the GamePad (25% goes to Retailer), that would be $292.50 in Manufacturing costs. Priced at $299.99, 74.99 would go to retailer, meaning $367.49 in Costs, uh oh!

That's ridiculous. $180 INCLUDING the GamePad? No way. The Wii U would have to be Dreamcast power for that. lol Anyway, the Wii U won't sell at TOO big of a loss, fortunately. :)

this better be due to a power increase since the previous statement that it wouldn't be sold at a loss.

Dear Lord, I hope so.

Posted Image

#9 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

Ahh mr negativity again I see. The way you talk to people sometimes blake makes you seem kind of pompas and ignorant . I dont think your trying to be on purpose but Im just putting it out there.

I was in no way being negative. I was asking a simple question.

After you attacked me in chat, I decided to give you a second chance, but I may have to rethink that.

#10 angelo07stang

angelo07stang

Boo

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

I was in no way being negative. I was asking a simple question.

After you attacked me in chat, I decided to give you a second chance, but I may have to rethink that.

Blake i was just pointing out that you are very disrespectful in the way you talk to people. If someone post something you dont like or agree with you post negative comments towards that person thats all I was saying.
Posted Image

#11 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

Come on guys. Let's stay on topic please. There have been quite a few arguments recently. :/

Posted Image

#12 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

Blake i was just pointing out that you are very disrespectful in the way you talk to people. If someone post something you dont like or agree with you post negative comments towards that person thats all I was saying.

How was I being disrespectful?

#13 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

This is good news that increases my hopes in the wiiu Hardware.

#14 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

POPULAR

This much was expected to be honest. It's not the easiest thing to have a console able to compete with PS420 at $300 without losing money on the process.

On the argument thing, both of you just stop it. You're being disrespectful to the entire forum by keeping this up.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#15 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

On the argument thing, both of you just stop it. You're being disrespectful to the entire forum by keeping this up.

You know what? I agree, I'm done.

The argument was pointless, neither of us gained anything from it. Plus it makes the forums look bad. :P

#16 angelo07stang

angelo07stang

Boo

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

Just the way you phrased whats this have to do with nintendo direct like you were implying I was stupid for posting that. It is what it is lets just move on.

Edited by angelo07stang, 24 October 2012 - 11:48 AM.

Posted Image

#17 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Idk i heard $180 without the game pad. But then again my $400 s2 only cost about $100-150 to make.
But i do know that nintendo kinda always take a hit at first then they start to make it big later on.
Anyone one remember the 3ds price cu/ That was a big hit to them but in the end it work out
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#18 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

If it is sold at a loss that could be a good thing.......or bad. We should see Nintendo pump out more games than usual to make up for the loss. Which means a bunch of first/second party games.

#19 BobbyRiddle

BobbyRiddle

Thwomp

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

Wait a second.

http://www.forgetthe...wii-u-price.php

This was from way back in April and it says TOTAL manufacturing cost including game pad is $180. I just assumed that you take that and add to it retailer costs, packaging costs, and don't forget the R&D amortization per unit. That should still net them a fair profit on the basic model, and an even better one on the deluxe right?
Currently playing: AC 3, ZombiU, BLOPS 2, Nintendoland, NSMBU, Nano Assault Neo, Halo 4, Darksiders 2, and Far Cry 3

Wii U ID------BeMore

#20 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Keep the Peace!

That's ridiculous. $180 INCLUDING the GamePad? No way. The Wii U would have to be Dreamcast power for that. lol Anyway, the Wii U won't sell at TOO big of a loss, fortunately. :)

Total cost of materials to manufacture the Wii U console (includes cost of controller) is estimated to be around $180

Via http://mynintendonew...-for-under-300/

I would hope though that it isn't. I want Power! Lol

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!