• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

The Wii's specs said it could handle 4.7GB discs and the Wii U's specs say it can handle 25GB discs. However some Wii games were dual-layer for 9GB, and if the Wii U follows the same trend, some discs could be 47GB. What this means is that such a retail game could take up to 47GB to download.

Launch retail games will probably be anywhere from 2GB (NSMBU) to 16GB (Tekken TT 2).

#2 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

Here's hoping Nintendo uses a full dual-layer disc for the next Super Smash Bros. game. :D

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#3 Nintendo

Nintendo

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:12 AM

Here's hoping Nintendo uses a full dual-layer disc for the next Super Smash Bros. game. :D

Too right :P

#4 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:39 AM

The Wii's specs said it could handle 4.7GB discs and the Wii U's specs say it can handle 25GB discs. However some Wii games were dual-layer for 9GB, and if the Wii U follows the same trend, some discs could be 47GB. What this means is that such a retail game could take up to 47GB to download.

Launch retail games will probably be anywhere from 2GB (NSMBU) to 16GB (Tekken TT 2).

It could possibly be even more, should the proprietary disc format they are using be triple layer compatible, as well as finding devs bored enough to fill such a disc.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#5 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:48 AM

My only concern is the possible download time.It took me around 5 or 6 hours to download Bioshock 2 back when my 360 was working and that game was less than 8GB! I cant imagine how long it would take to download a 25 GB game. Call me old fashion but im sticking to discs.

Edited by Mr.Saturn90, 17 November 2012 - 02:49 AM.

Signature_DK.png

#6 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:54 AM

My only concern is the possible download time.It took me around 5 or 6 hours to download Bioshock 2 back when my 360 was working and that game was less than 8GB! I cant imagine how long it would take to download a 25 GB game. Call me old fashion but im sticking to discs.

As a person who lives in Australia, I would not call you old fashioned.

AuzzieWingman.png

#7 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

I don't mind multiple discs. While It's Cool that they can handle 25gb, I'm a RPG gamer and collector and I'm used to multiple discs. Realistically though... Will we see games maxing out 25gb Plus? Are there any multi-disc titles on the ps3?
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#8 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:17 AM

Tricky, if we see a game like Uncharted or perhaps even a Final Fantasy on Wii U, it will probably take over 25GB. 25GB is actually nothing in this day and age.

#9 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:18 AM

I don't mind multiple discs. While It's Cool that they can handle 25gb, I'm a RPG gamer and collector and I'm used to multiple discs. Realistically though... Will we see games maxing out 25gb Plus? Are there any multi-disc titles on the ps3?

Not that I can think of.

MGS4 needed a dual layered blu-ray, maxing out at a basic 50GB.

AuzzieWingman.png

#10 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:19 AM

And the PS3 doesn't need multiple discs because one disc has the capacity of 47GB.

#11 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:20 AM

Tricky, if we see a game like Uncharted or perhaps even a Final Fantasy on Wii U, it will probably take over 25GB. 25GB is actually nothing in this day and age.

It's a lot when you consider downloading.

AuzzieWingman.png

#12 Kiki Neko-Chan

Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:24 AM

It's a lot when you consider downloading.

Especially if you have limited bandwidth.

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

^ dayum what a creative name

#13 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:24 AM

I've been saying 47GB when I should have meant 50GB all this time. Sorry for my mistake.

#14 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:29 AM

I've been saying 47GB when I should have meant 50GB all this time. Sorry for my mistake.

You're probably not wrong though. Your typical storage medium of the USB kind is less that what number they give, as part of it is needed for the disc to operate, more or less for a disc to be in a state to be read. From what I've seen, the bigger the implied size of a medium, the more of that it needs to work.

Especially if you have limited bandwidth.

Or if you live in Australia.

AuzzieWingman.png

#15 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

I can't imagine multiple discs anymore (unless we talk about the 360 of course) - I mean hell even newer MMO's are around that. Star Wars the Old Republic is around 26gb on my hd right now - WoW on the other hand is much much more with all its expansion packs. Realistically I don't see anything ever using up the allotted space... this is assuming of course the Wii U discs can be dual layer or triple layer. A monster RPG could probably suck the disc dry.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#16 PRP777

PRP777

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dragonball/Z/GT, CBB, FMA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

Good thing 500GB externals are going for $50.00 I'm not intending to go all digital, but I will need the extra space for Nintendo Shop exclusives. Such as Trine 2, etc.

#17 Eggplante!

Eggplante!

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

It is not the size of the game that is really the issue for making great games, but rather the size of the world.

Smash Bros. will likely fit on a single layer disc, and probably come in around 10-20GB by my estimation. This is because they reuse a lot of graphics, and there is limited area to render. However, with a more open-world game like Zelda, there is a LOT more art required, more audio and speech, and different game mechanics.

Of course, these are estimations, but I'd go ahead and guess that the next Zelda would easily crack the 25GB capacity of the current Wii U disc.

Eggplante!com
video games, music, movies, concerts, photography
…and more!

#18 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

It could possibly be even more, should the proprietary disc format they are using be triple layer compatible, as well as finding devs bored enough to fill such a disc.

Wait, they can be triple layered? That means 75gb on the disc. Imagine how much they could put in smash bros or Zelda!

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#19 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

Internet speeds arn't a problem where I live but I still prefer actual games to downloads and I always will.

#20 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

I can't imagine multiple discs anymore (unless we talk about the 360 of course) - I mean hell even newer MMO's are around that. Star Wars the Old Republic is around 26gb on my hd right now - WoW on the other hand is much much more with all its expansion packs. Realistically I don't see anything ever using up the allotted space... this is assuming of course the Wii U discs can be dual layer or triple layer. A monster RPG could probably suck the disc dry.

I did notice something interesting in the wiiu game boxes it has clips for a extra plastic sleeve for aditional discs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!