Photo

Desperate Gaming Noob, Father of 2 Kids Needs Help (boy 7 , girl 5)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 nhw3w

nhw3w

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

So my son (7 yrs old...also have daughter, 5 yrs) want's a Wii U for Christmas. I want to get it for him but I really need the help of knowledgeable people in this forum:

BACKGROUND
I'm pretty tech savvy. I have an excellent grasp of personal technology, PCs, TiVo/ReplayTV, GPS, iOS Devices, Palm Devices, Digital Photography, Home Automation, Biometrics (FitBit, Zeo, Withings Scale), Home Theater. I'll be hooking the Wii U up to my 60 in plasma.

I know NOTHING about gaming consoles. I intended to buy a Wii ages ago but have been waiting for a hi def Wii console.

So here goes:

1. First, any reason NOT to get the deluxe wii U?

2. What OTHER things do I need besides the deluxe console Wii U package? (other controllers, adapters, chargers). There are 4 of us including my wife. What implications does that have for other gear I need?

I know there are many kinds of controllers...WiiMote, WiiMote & Nunchuk, GameCube Controller, and Classic Controller. I've seen some that are shaped like steering wheels and some called "remote PLUS". I also saw the "Wii U Pro Controller"

So, EXACTLY what would you suggest I get in the way of controllers to support the whole family of four...

3. What tips can you give me so that I have a smooth experience on Christmas morning

4. What games should I buy for kids? (I'm not getting any games for me but need at least 1 for daughter and son each, no old, non hi def games, no adult violent ones.)

I was thinking....obviously get what comes in the box plus...

Mario (family)
Sports Connection (for son)
Just Dance 4 (for daughter)

PLEASE HELP I am desperate and hate being so ignorant when I'm usually VERY in the know...

#2 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

The game choice seems perfect. You would probably want atleast 3 wiimotes so that all 4 of you could play at once. Most games support this.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#3 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

Get the Deluxe. You want that included Nintendo Land because it's a great family game. :)

The metroid minigame of Nintendo Land, which is fine for kids, needs nunchucks. So you will also need 3 Wii Remote Plus controllers and 3 nunchucks.

That is, nunchucks with the Wii remote Plus controllers.

#4 Kiki Neko-Chan

Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Get the deluxe. It's a good deal because it comes with Nintendo Land (which is an awesome multiplayer/family game) two accessories for the GamePad (charging cradle & stand) and more memory for just $50 dollars more than the Basic package.

For controllers, get 3 Wii Remote Plus controllers and 3 nunchucks. One person can use the GamePad, so that makes it 4 controllers in total.

Game choice is pretty good.

Good luck :)

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

^ dayum what a creative name

#5 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

1. It's a fingerprint magnet. That's the only flaw I see in it.

2. The deluxe package comes with a console stand and a gamepad charging dock. Of course it also comes with any necessary cables and whatnot.

3. In a perfect world, the ideal set up consists of 4 Wii remote pluses (4 nunchuks and 4 classic controllers optional) and 4 Wii U Pro Controllers.
The pro controllers have an absurdly long battery life, so 1 charger than charges the gamepad is more than enough to charge the gamepad and the pro controllers.

4. The games you've listed are pretty sweet, and your kids will definitely have fun with them. If I could pitch a suggestion, a game that would be fun for both your son and daughter is Scribblenauts Unlimited.

Edited by Tom, 21 November 2012 - 07:06 PM.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#6 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

I was seriously considering trolling here, but I don't want to screw up some kids Christmas so I'll play nice.
1. The only reason to to get a Deluxe model would be if you can't find it. It's worth the extra $50.
2. It really depends. You'll probably want to bet so e Wii Remote +s and nunchuks for games like Mario (in fact, you will need some Wii Remote +s to play multiplayer Mario), and Nintendo Land (same deal as with Mario). You may also want to get some Pro Controllers, but none of the games you were interested in getting (to my knowledge use them).
3. Buy a screen protector for the Gamepad that way if your kids scratch up the screen you won't have to buy a whole new Gamepad. Aside from that, the Wii U is pretty much ready to go out of the box, and should be fine. It comes with an HDMI, so you won't even need to get one of those.
4. Scribblenauts Unlimited will probably be a big hit with your kids, as well as something as Sega All Stars Racing. Sing Party may be good, but that depends on how much they like singing (You may also need to buy a microphone with that one. I'm not sure though) The ones you have listed will probably go over well too.

Anyways, I hope that helps out a little bit, and your kids enjoy their new Wii U! :D

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#7 Kiki Neko-Chan

Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

Oh, also, there's a 1.5 GB update you need to download when you turn on your Wii U, and that might take a few hours. The update adds the main features to the console.

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

#8 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Just be careful with the update, NOT TO TURN OFF the console, because you may have problems. Also avoid using the eshop for a while, till nintendo gives the option of migrating your transactions. Because if you use the online shop now and your console for XxX reasons brakes and you have to turn it in... Get a new one, automatically its more like you losing everything you paid via the ESHOP... so avoid it for a while till it get shorted.

Other than that, I would suggest you a removable hard disk drive for the wii U. My preference is an "internal hdd" with an "external hdd case"... you know about pc so its easy for u to understand that.

Get the deluxe because it contains nintendo land (fun game for your kids), also the wii U stands and 32 gigs of internal flash hdd... After that, you can use your external as stated.

Edited by Orion, 21 November 2012 - 07:13 PM.

#9 Kiki Neko-Chan

Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Just be careful with the update, NOT TO TURN OFF the console, because you may have problems. Also avoid using the eshop for a while, till nintendo gives the option of migrating your transactions.

Other than that, I would suggest you a removable hard disk drive for the wii U. My preference is an "internal hdd" with an "external hdd case"... you know about pc so its easy for u to understand that.

Only get a HDD if you are going to download games from the e-shop.

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

#10 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

I agree with everything so far. The Deluxe comes with the heavily family/multiplayer game Nintendo Land for only $50 more, and Nintendo Land is $60 on its own.

You need 3 more Wii Remote Pluses to equal 4 total. They are a lot more precise than the normal ones and are required for certain games (Including Nintendo Land ones). They come in different colors, so you could get a blue, pink, and white or black one so everyone feels like they "own" a certain one. In addition to that, it'd probably be best to buy 3 nunchucks as well. I advise Wiimotes over Pro, etc, controllers because they are motion control capatible. Gamecube controllers are incompatible, and Classic controllers plug into the Wiimote. (They do not work by themselves.)

I second buying a screen protector. A new controller will be expensive.

I also agree that Scribblenauts Unlimited appeals to both genders, along with the Sega racing game. It probably will be able to support 4 players in case the whole family wants to have some fun racing. :)
Posted Image

#11 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

I'd suggest investing into a external hard drive, if you plan on downloading digitally of course. Rabbids, Nintendo Land, and Sonic All-Star Racing are great kids games. You will also need Wii remotes (the latest ones), a pro controller ,and screen protectors.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#12 reef7009

reef7009

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

Also , might be an idea to do that update xmas eve? Kids in bed. So itl be all good to go come morning. And like orion said...dont be tempted to unplug it if the update takes a little time. It will be doing its stuff :)

#13 -JJ-

-JJ-

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mrs. Doubtfire, Madea, Corneria

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

I agree with the others that the deluxe is the better deal. The only reason I got the basic is because I like the white console.
I hope you have a very merry Christmas!

Edited by -JJ-, 21 November 2012 - 07:25 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Ecorsbie

Ecorsbie

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

I agree that for the extra $50 you are getting a great deal, it might not seem like it..but NIntendo Land alone is $60.00. You definitely can not go wrong with Mario...its classic Nintendo game and great for the kids. I got my first Nintendo console right about the same age, I was 8 when I got the first Nintendo. And of coures it came with Mario...ever since then I have been addicted to Mario games...and I am 35...lol.

I think the Just Dance game would be perfect for your daughter, what little kid doesnt like to dance...even me I liked to dance around as a kid..of course i cant dance now..but you get the picture.

I agree...do the update on X-Mas eve...when everyone is sleeping..that will make X-Mas day smooth...as you know kids get anxious when they get presents but cant play with them right away.

Good luck, and I enjoy the nintendo...!!

#15 Shadiwulf

Shadiwulf

Shy Guy

• Banned
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Buy A Wii U for your kids, Do it for our Great King Lord BOWSER

#16 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

1. If you plan on downloading and purchasing lots of games, then you'll need the extra space. Considering out of the 8GB, the day one update leaves you with 3GB. Plus Nintendo Land is a great family game, and the extra charging stand and other little goodies are nice to have as well.

2. If you don't own a Wii, then make sure to purchase some Wii Remotes and Nunchucks. As many games will work with them, or even need them ( Just Dance for example needs a Wii Remote). Not many games support the pro controller ( mostly games like ZombiU and Assassins Creed, not what you're looking for). If you plan on buying Virtual Console games ( especially N64 and SNES games), get a Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pro.

3. Make sure to have all your controllers synced, and make sure to download any updates ( the one as of now takes a few hours, so make sure to do it early before anyone wakes up, especially the kids. Just make sure the lights are down and the volume is muted.) Make a Nintendo Network account, make some Mii's and put a game in.

4. There are TONS of great kid games ( also fun for adults) out there. Just to name a few, there's New Super Mario Bros. U, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Nintendo Land, Skyanders Giants, Epic Mickey 2 and Rabbids Land. Plus the Wii U works with any Wii games you have, so you can always choose from that library too.

Enjoy your Wii U, may many years of enjoyment and fun come out of it!

#17 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

good luck finding one...

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#18 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Scribblenauts Unlimited would be a great game for the family too :D

#19 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

1. First, any reason NOT to get the deluxe wii U?

None other than color and price. If you are not in the position to spend $50 more, than the Basic is a pretty good option. Don't like the color Black? There's white. Other than that, the game it's bundled with is a GREAT party/family game and the accessories might prove useful for certain entertainment set ups. Definitely the better value.

2. What OTHER things do I need besides the deluxe console Wii U package? (other controllers, adapters, chargers). There are 4 of us including my wife. What implications does that have for other gear I need?

IGNORE GAMECUBE CONTROLLER. Wiimote and Nunchunk are required to play together with others. Nunchunks and Wii Motes aren't sold together and will cost a total of $60 if you buy both, so please consider this. There is a "Pro Controller" but those are usually required for action heavy games you may not want to buy for your children. The alternative to the Pro Controller is the Wii Classic Controller, which is a peripheral that attaches itself on to the WiiMote (so one will be required for usage, but the Classic Controller is less expensive then a Pro Controller and in your case, more useful).

Nintendo also sells a "Write and Protect" pack that I personally suggest. It runs about $8 and comes with 2 Screen Protectors and 2 Stylus'. If you do buy these, please apply to the controller AFTER complete setup (including update). For some reason, the game pad is unresponsive if you apply it before setting it up.

Rechargable batteries if you buy WiiMotes are an option (and are rather useful). A case to further protect your Game Pad is also an option. There are also cool Stylus' with different tops (like Mario or Princess Peach) that might make for a good stocking stuffer).

3. What tips can you give me so that I have a smooth experience on Christmas morning?

Surprise them with the system BEFORE the games. Whether this means doing a "hey kids, what's this big box?" or something along those lines, just make sure they see the console. Many surprises have been ruined for me by seeing the game or accessories before the big one. If you are planning on setting up after Christmas gift opening, the Wii U does require an update that takes anywhere between 45 minutes - 2 hours, so clean up and set it up ASAP and take the free time to have some breakfast/whatever. Or, you can set it up Christmas eve. Don't know how you celebrate your Christmas, but I think the presents would be more memorable.

4. What games should I buy for kids?

Just Dance 4 is incredibly fun (and up to date with current songs, including that one Internet Sensation). SiNg is great, but feels rather limited for it's price tag. Personally, I think Just Dance is the better of the two. Scribblenauts Unlimited is so fun as well. I suggest you look up the trailer, I think this might be great. I wouldn't recommend Sports Connection, rather something along the lines of Sonic All Stars Racing if you want something with more quality. Mario is a choice you can NEVER go wrong with and is one I highly recommend. I don't know much about the series, but I do know that it's one of the best selling titles for kid's games (if not the best), Skylanders Giants, which has a whole toy line and such attached to the game.

So a quick rundown:

Just Dance 4
New Super Mario Brothers U (recommended)
Sonic All Stars Racing Transform

If you want to buy anything extra:

Scribblenauts Unlimited (recommended)
Skylanders Giants

All the games recommended are for the Wii U and are all in HD. I hope you and your family enjoys it as much as most of us here have! I would suggest you look up more information on it's capabilities, as it expands on more than just gaming (such as connectivity to your TV, cable/satellite/DVR). The official Nintendo Website explains all these things quite nicely.. Happy holidays! ^^

Edited by Noonabites, 21 November 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#20 Hari

Hari

Cheep-Cheep

• Banned
  • 116 posts
  • Fandom:
    you

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

-buy the black deluxe set that contains more things than the basic set and most importantly the game nintendoland wich is the perfect game for everyone.
-buy 3 wiimotes with motion plus integrated and 3 nunchuks
-buy new super mario bros u, sega all star racing because its good and cheap and scribblenauts unlimmited
-wii u needs to update so i recomend you to update it at night se be careful with not turning it off becuase it can stop working forever, thats why you should do it, it may take an hour.
-parental control exists in the wii u if you want to register someone under 13, you need to pay $0.5 to make sure an adult is in charge.
-dont listen to them, dont buy pro controllers or classic controllers, those are for more hardcore games, not the kind your kids will be looking,wiimotes are fine.
-dont buy sports conection
-if your kids are not careful with game disks you should buy an external usb harddrive 250gb should be fine, and download them through eshop, btw the deluxe set i told you to buy has some pretty cool digital download offers.
-buy rechargable batteries for the 3 wiimotes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!