Photo

What Nintendo has to say about Wii U specs.....

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:18 AM

ok so we have a lot of discussion about the Wii U specs. We have quoted anonymous devs, journalist, and random NEOGAF memeber. but what has nintendo said on the subject? in My opinion nintendo has never lied about what their console can do or whats inside of it. They can care less about boasting specs and more about creating great games/experiences with those specs. so here are some of nintendo's quotes on Wii U specs.

Miyamoto: “If the conversation is only really about whether the power is going to match up to another generation of hardware from, say, Sony or Microsoft, I can’t answer that question yet. [Wii U] might not be as powerful as those systems when they eventually do come around. But I think that the more important question is… It’s not just about power alone, but how to balance what you’re offering in terms of power with cost.”

Iwata: "I’m not against beautiful graphics, but my thinking is that unless the play experience is really rich the wonderful graphics won’t really help".

"I think it will become increasingly difficult from now on to compete over graphics. This is because that no matter how much we increase the number of polygons we can display and improve the shading it will become increasingly difficult to tell the difference".

"I think that the Wii U will be powerful enough to run very high spec games but the architecture is obviously different than other consoles so there is a need to do some tuning if you really want to max out the performance".
(MOST IMPORTANT QUOTE HERE GUYS!)

"We’re not going to deliver a system that has so much horsepower that no matter what you put on there it will run beautifully, and also, because we’re selling the system with the GamePad – which adds extra cost to the package – we don’t want to inflate the cost of each unit by putting in excessive CPU power."

Reggie: “We’ve got a system that, based on our review of the world and our architecture, it absolutely’s gonna hold up and bring the best content from third-party for a long, long time”

In my opinion these quotes should tell you all you need to know about the Wii U. It's different "ARCHITECTURE" but modern. just like the others will be... but not like PS360 so dont expect ports of those console to run great on Wii U. i believe Wii U at minimum will run next gen engines and games built from the ground up are gonna be amazing. but you cant expect this overnight. give it time guys have patience. and also sorry for adding another Wii U power thread to the mix of the other 100 in the past week :)

#2 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

I don't know, I thing Nintendo will soon become in denial about their specs. If Devs are saying they're bad, then it's not going to end up good for them (the 4A CPu comment, the Harada comment about it being a little slow, etc.). Nintendo should realize that gameplay is a strong factor, however 7th gen corrupted gamers minds, which is why so many people are just specs trolls. If its not as powerful as they say, we'll third parties will most likely not support it, or utilize a lot of resources to port it over (which necessarily isn't a bad thing).
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#3 The Video Gamer

The Video Gamer

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:16 AM

I think Nintendo needs to make it clearer to developers they can use some of the GPGPU's power to assist the slow CPU. Regardless it's like at the least they'll be strong indie and Japanese in addition to obviously Nintendo first-party and some third-party support. That plus the Gamepad makes it a worthy purchase though hopefully it's lifespan will be 4-5 years rather than 6 or more since the hardware won't be sufficient enough for that length.

#4 Nintendo

Nintendo

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

I guess Nintendo released Wii U knowing this would happen. Gritting their teeth as they tried to take the good graphics route. It's all good gameplay for them now, again.

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:31 AM

I don't know, I thing Nintendo will soon become in denial about their specs. If Devs are saying they're bad, then it's not going to end up good for them (the 4A CPu comment, the Harada comment about it being a little slow, etc.). Nintendo should realize that gameplay is a strong factor, however 7th gen corrupted gamers minds, which is why so many people are just specs trolls. If its not as powerful as they say, we'll third parties will most likely not support it, or utilize a lot of resources to port it over (which necessarily isn't a bad thing).

None of them has said its bad. Only the gaming media has changed thdir words to say that (and they have all called them out on it, including thq and 4a) Theyve all said the same thing. Its clocked slower than ps360.

This is a non issue UNLESS you are trying to port ps360 games that rely EXCLUSIVELY on the high clock and flop count because the cpu sucks giant donkey balls at everything else.

How us the mhz myth still be this strong? Clock speed can only be used as a measure of performance between the same architectures.

A computer that can perform instructions in less clock cycles can EASILY beat one with 4-5x the clock speed.

An architecture with short pipelines can outperform a deep pipelined architecture by 2x or more at half the speed. (a
nd the ps360 were piped DEEEEEEP, its why they had such an awful missed prediction penalty).

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

Knowing Nintendo, the way they make their consoles is usually to their own advantage so hopefully we will see not only Nintendo making the best use of their innovations this time around.

2lvmghw.png

#7 The Video Gamer

The Video Gamer

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

Reggie saying it's more powerful and that Call of Duty looks significantly superior on Wii U.

#8 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

Reggie saying it's more powerful and that Call of Duty looks significantly superior on Wii U.

Yeah but you need to remember Reggie Doesn't actually know whats coming out of his mouth.

#9 The Video Gamer

The Video Gamer

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

Yeah but you need to remember Reggie Doesn't actually know whats coming out of his mouth.

I don't agree with him I just thought it was relevant in this thread. I think it was a good move though since the CNN audience will probably believe him.

#10 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

I don't agree with him I just thought it was relevant in this thread. I think it was a good move though since the CNN audience will probably believe him.

Well that is true.

#11 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

You're ignoring the comments that said the system is very powerful. Some even mention the CPU. One of the qoutes you alluded to the developer went on his twitter angry because his words were missquoted. Just because a few developers (THQ, I'm looking at you) dont have money to make an engine ground up for Wii U doesnt mean it isn't powerful.

However, it can mean some lazy developers, or ones on a budget, won't develop for the Wii U. But even that doesn't make sense when developers said it is easy to develop for.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#12 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

You're ignoring the comments that said the system is very powerful. Some even mention the CPU. One of the qoutes you alluded to the developer went on his twitter angry because his words were missquoted. Just because a few developers (THQ, I'm looking at you) dont have money to make an engine ground up for Wii U doesnt mean it isn't powerful.

However, it can mean some lazy developers, or ones on a budget, won't develop for the Wii U. But even that doesn't make sense when developers said it is easy to develop for.

I feel its only going to be a problem for Developers that built their engine specifically for last generation and is having money trouble since the companies with lots of money shouldn't have trouble unless its out of being lazy and Indie should have little to no problems since Nintendo if you remember gives developers lots of stuff to developer on the wii U (Autodesk stuff/Havok/ etc) and it sounds like the actual wii U eshop is really friendly for Indies.

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 25 November 2012 - 07:03 AM.

#13 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

I'm not denying that some are saying its more powerful
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

#14 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

Games look great to me. I dont have a problem.
I believe the devs just need more time to work and understand what needs to be done in coding.
Ac3 looks great and its a launch day game, same with zombiu. Now give the dev another yr with the system and your see some really great stuff.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#15 Sobari

Sobari

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Exactly what we've been saying then. Shame it won't shut up the haters, since they'll cling on to false information for dear life because they can't handle being proven wrong.

#16 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

I think it's gonna be really cool to have something different for a change.

#17 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

I'm not denying that some are saying its more powerful

But they both can't be right. Somewhere there has to be someone who is bring miss understood. and you don't see the ones saying it's powerful taking there words back. But you see the ones saying (or being miss quoted) the Wii U is weak taking it back. Even THQ. So why only mention that side who is probably bring miss quoted?
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#18 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

But they both can't be right. Somewhere there has to be someone who is bring miss understood. and you don't see the ones saying it's powerful taking there words back. But you see the ones saying (or being miss quoted) the Wii U is weak taking it back. Even THQ. So why only mention that side who is probably bring miss quoted?

I'll say it's more powerful, I just won't say a lot. We've heard Devs like 5th cell and Gearbox saying it, however have they actually ever said it is a lot more powerful?

#19 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Knowing Nintendo, the way they make their consoles is usually to their own advantage so hopefully we will see not only Nintendo making the best use of their innovations this time around.

This & only this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#20 Press

Press

Thwomp

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Smash, FF, KH, Sonic

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

Well that is true.

And I find it very sad. I hope Iwata is spanking Reggie with a kendo stick right now. Whether he lied or doesn't know what he is talking about, it doesn't seem right to misinform people who do not know the truth for themselves just to sell. I want Wii U to succeed because of what it is, not what it isn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!