Alright techies have fun.

http://mynintendonew...-and-gpu-specs/

#2 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

the mhz dosnt matter, the chipset and spus, rops, etc matter... Those who writte the articles dont know tech... it may be a 2004 with 500mhz but it may be a 2010 with 500 mhz but much stronger and newer...

The cpu sucks.. i knew it. But not sure... if its 3 cores... 1.24ghz per core? or overall..

Edited by Orion, 29 November 2012 - 07:29 AM.

#3 Pinstripe

Pinstripe

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

I don't care. Just give me those exclusives and I'll be a happy chap.

For Doom 4, Star Wars 1313 etc. I have a high-end PC. Thank you.

#4 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

I don't understand at all, clarification please?

#5 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

Hmm, that CPU sure is lacking. I assume the GPGPU is Nintendo making up for it?

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#6 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:30 AM

I don't understand at all, clarification please?

The CPU is supposedly 1.2GHz. This is lower than expected and the CPU will be no more powerful than the 360's/PS3's if it's 1.2GHz. However because of the possibility of powersaving features, the CPU could be clocked as high as 2.4GHz, which could make it more powerful than the 360's/PS3's for games other than weak ports.

The GPU is supposedly 550MHz. This is lower than expected but the GPU should still be more powerful than the 360's/PS3's. However because of the possibility of powersaving features, the GPU could be more powerful still.

With the CPU at 1.2GHz and the GPU at 550MHz, the system will probably be about as powerful as the 360/PS3. With the CPU at 2.4GHz and the GPU at 550MHz-750MHz, the system could be more powerful than them.

Edited by PotatoHog, 30 November 2012 - 02:30 AM.

#7 Welsh Jester

Welsh Jester

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:43 AM

The CPU is supposedly 1.2GHz. This is lower than expected and the CPU will be no more powerful than the 360's/PS3's if it's 1.2GHz. However because of the possibility of powersaving features, the CPU could be clocked as high as 2.4GHz, which could make it more powerful than the 360's/PS3's for games other than weak ports.

Well it seems the person who revealed the hardware information has stated that the CPU is not underclocked while idle. So the 1.2ghz is apparently the speed of the CPU at all times.

Edited by Welsh Jester, 30 November 2012 - 02:43 AM.

#8 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:50 AM

Why would Nintendo release another system that's a generation behind if they were going after the core crowd?

#9 Welsh Jester

Welsh Jester

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

Why would Nintendo release another system that's a generation behind if they were going after the core crowd?

Doesn't make much sense, like Reggie saying on TV that the multiplats look significantly better on it as well.

#10 strikerdes

strikerdes

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

I don't understand why they didn't want a CPU as good or better then the PS3/XBOX, where is the logic in using a weaker one?
Just means in future people won't be using this console for things like COD/GTA/AC and so on, Nintendo so want to fit into the main stream gaming, but pull stupid things like this out of their extremely rich pockets.
Silly!

#11 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

The GPU is supposedly 550MHz. This is lower than expected but the GPU should still be more powerful than the 360's/PS3's. However because of the possibility of powersaving features, the GPU could be more powerful still.

With the CPU at 1.2GHz and the GPU at 550MHz, the system will probably be about as powerful as the 360/PS3. With the CPU at 2.4GHz and the GPU at 550MHz-750MHz, the system could be more powerful than them.

Let's not forget that he got these speeds from the menu. He needs to test the speeds with a game like ZombiU or Batman running.

Posted Image

#12 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

This is old, we knew this since yesterday.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#13 duck360

duck360

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metal Gear Solid, Big Boss!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

That is very weak :( Unless it gets more powerful inside a game. It is said that the main cost of the Wii U is making the Gamepad. Without it, it would be very cheap. PS4 won't make a gamepad so that money will go into more powerful specs. Nintendo should have made a very powerful machine + Gamepad to kick everyones ass I personally don't care about the cost. I mean really? Nintendo never revealed the specs because it's weak! The only thing revealed (Which is the only thing that is powerful) is the Ram. Makes sense.... bastards.

#14 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

That is very weak :( Unless it gets more powerful inside a game. It is said that the main cost of the Wii U is making the Gamepad. Without it, it would be very cheap. PS4 won't make a gamepad so that money will go into more powerful specs. Nintendo should have made a very powerful machine + Gamepad to kick everyones ass I personally don't care about the cost. I mean really? Nintendo never revealed the specs because it's weak! The only thing revealed (Which is the only thing that is powerful) is the Ram. Makes sense.... bastards.

It's just the clock speeds.... There is more to know before we call it "weak".

Posted Image

#15 duck360

duck360

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metal Gear Solid, Big Boss!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

It's just the clock speeds.... There is more to know before we call it "weak".

I know... it's just I spent the whole 7th Gen with PS3 while I love Nintendo more. I hoped to keep Wii U as my main 8th Gen Console but 'if' it's as weak as those numbers says, then it won't happen :(

#16 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

I know... it's just I spent the whole 7th Gen with PS3 while I love Nintendo more. I hoped to keep Wii U as my main 8th Gen Console but 'if' it's as weak as those numbers says, then it won't happen :(

We need to know more about the Giga/TeraFLOPS of the GPGPU and what the CPU can actually do. But there hasn't been a game to take advantage of the system yet. Mainly just the controller.

Posted Image

#17 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

We need to know more about the Giga/TeraFLOPS of the GPGPU and what the CPU can actually do. But there hasn't been a game to take advantage of the system yet. Mainly just the controller.

Hopefully the 1.2GHz processor will be fast in architecture. I think the GPGPU will be overrated - with NVIDIA physx (GPU physics acceleration), the performance actually gets worse but the effects get better. We do need to know the amount of ROPs, TMUs, and shaders in the GPU, but we can guess and still be accurate that the Wii U is about as powerful as the 360/PS3, I think.

Edited by PotatoHog, 30 November 2012 - 04:00 PM.

#18 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

Hopefully the 1.2GHz processor will be fast in architecture. I think the GPGPU will be overrated - with NVIDIA physx (GPU physics acceleration), the performance actually gets worse but the effects get better. We do need to know the amount of ROPs, TMUs, and shaders in the GPU, but we can guess and still be accurate that the Wii U is about as powerful as the 360/PS3, I think.

No. Its still considerably more powerful. Moreso with each new peice of information that comes to light with the changes made to the 750cl architecture since we last saw it (only simd is still paired singles though). We are still lookong at 2-3x. Its a binary compatable front end with broadway, but a lot has changed. (Im still pissed at Nintendo. Even with all this, its NOT an all new processor, its a new processor in the 750 family) The ridiculous high speed low latency data bus between cpu and gpu (the biggest obstacle to gpgpu is a non issue), the gpu being able to render to target entirely with in its own memory without needing to call main memory, the cpu able to rip instructions put of order to do calculations with data in its cache while waiting for dependant calculations to call main ram so no cycles are wasted. (ie there is no ram bottleneck unless you are a silly pony dev).

Broadway was always an ipc monster compared to xenon. It was ibms inability to clock it higher, enable smp technology (couldnt obtain processer coherency) or reduce its process that kept, it from competing with xenon. If it had either or (higher clock speed or smp) it would have been on.par with xenon. This dead end made them reluctantly shelve it in order to try to meet apples Ghz demands (which they failed anyways). IBM's new edram technology made a resurrection of the family possible on a smaller process (which enabled higher clock speeds in turn).

This tiny cpu smokes xenon handidly in every category except simd, as xenon was a specialized simd processor. Oh. No more multiples. Its wierd, but... Yeah, no multiples in wii u. That tradition is completely absent

And... Future multiplats are looking surprisingly good. durango also comes short of xenon in cpu simd/flops. And..... Its mainly because... Its clocked barely faster than wii u's cpu.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#19 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

***puts head down and takes back unopened U***

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#20 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

No offense 3Dude but you will probably say good things about the Wii U no matter what. Also, I find it funny that after we find out the cpu specs are somewhat disappointing, you say even better things about it.

Sorry if I don't understand correctly. You will still probably own me on this subject, I just don't think it will be over 1x as powerful as the 360's cpu.

Edited by PotatoHog, 01 December 2012 - 09:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!