Photo

What is the Cause of Slow Load's for Wii U?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

So, I have been thinking of what could be causing the slow load times. I don't think it is the CPU -- but obviously, it could be. I think it is software, and hopefully something Nintendo can fix in the next few months. But I was wondering if any of the other tech junkies can jump in and we discuss and see what could be causing it.

Any ideas?

Edited by MorbidGod, 06 December 2012 - 05:18 PM.

Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#2 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

It's probably because Nintendo opted for a stronger GPU over the CPU. While in theory it's possible to make the GPU do much of what the CPU does, I think it's something that Nintendo underestimated in the process. I will give them props for trying to rethink the way things are, as it's not like my Wii U is unplayable.

Dunno if it's something that Nintendo can patch, or if we simply have to deal with it.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#3 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

What's faster the Wii interface or the Wii U one?

(I don't have a Wii U because it's not out in Nauru yet.)

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

RAM.
Loading is called loading because it loads from the disc or disk onto RAM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

It's probably because Nintendo opted for a stronger GPU over the CPU. While in theory it's possible to make the GPU do much of what the CPU does, I think it's something that Nintendo underestimated in the process. I will give them props for trying to rethink the way things are, as it's not like my Wii U is unplayable.

Dunno if it's something that Nintendo can patch, or if we simply have to deal with it.

Even the "leaked" 1.2 GHZ CPU should, in theory, be able to be faster then what we are seeing. But it is possible that the processor and graphics processor combo was designed for better performance in games, and that could be causing it. And honestly, it wasn't until I read a post in IGN that made me think they could patch the problem -- assuming it's not a hardware limitation.

What's faster the Wii interface or the Wii U one?

(I don't have a Wii U because it's not out in Nauru yet.)

I would actually say the Wii U is slower, only because it take's forever to get into whatever you want. And it's not unbearable by any means, but the Wii at least loaded games quicker.

But the Netflix app itself is about the same amount of time to wait.

Edited by MorbidGod, 06 December 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#6 currysonic

currysonic

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

I think it might be a software thing. I mean my mom's tablet with a Tegra 2 (~1.0GHz dual core) loads stuff instantly. Its not like the Wii U menu or its apps are graphically intensive in any way.

#7 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

I went to Nintendo.com's support page and they are looking to fix these issues with a future update. So try to stop moaning people.This is really annoying!

Signature_DK.png

#8 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

I went to Nintendo.com's support page and they are looking to fix these issues with a future update. So try to stop moaning people.This is really annoying!

While I also get tired of complaining.... No one is complaining, It's a thread about the cause of the issue.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#9 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

The hamster inside is getting tired?

#10 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

While I also get tired of complaining.... No one is complaining, It's a thread about the cause of the issue.

Exactly.

#11 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

Its a combination of software and slow internal storage on the Wii U.

Rather than loading everything up into that 1GB of RAM they reserved for the OS, it seems the Wii U splits everything into little apps.

Due to the slow internal storage this causes delays when switching between different sections of the OS.

One thing I doubt very very much is the cause, is the CPU. Just look at how fast smartphones are, yet the best smartphone is still going to be FAR slower than the Wii U CPU.

You also have to consider that the Wii U loads about the same speed as Wii, if not slower, but with a CPU many times more powerful.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#12 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

Even the "leaked" 1.2 GHZ CPU should, in theory, be able to be faster then what we are seeing. But it is possible that the processor and graphics processor combo was designed for better performance in games, and that could be causing it. And honestly, it wasn't until I read a post in IGN that made me think they could patch the problem -- assuming it's not a hardware limitation.

Well, whatever it is that is causing it, it's not pissing me off and that's all that matters.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#13 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Its just a bit of a drag if you are wanting to switch between the running game and Miiverse several times in a short period.

If I want to pause a game to view my friends list, I am used to it being instant after years of Xbox 360 gaming.

#14 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Forza, Gears of War

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

Its just a bit of a drag if you are wanting to switch between the running game and Miiverse several times in a short period.

If I want to pause a game to view my friends list, I am used to it being instant after years of Xbox 360 gaming.

Precisely.
Posted Image

#15 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

I'm fairly certain this is an issue that can and will be fixed by Nintendo in the near future. If a cheap computer with 2gb of ram was able to handle the monstrosity that was Windows Vista, then the Wii U hardware should be able to handle any OS Nintendo puts on it.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#16 chamot07

chamot07

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Fandom:
    Madden, FIFA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

I've worked as a developer in all kinds of fields, IMO i'd say it's software.

Whether it maybe influenced by the software that helps the hardware as well (firmware) there is a higher possibility - the reason for this is because I'm sure Nintendo engineers have been introduced to this emerging issue since it's prior software update were their attempt to decrease load times, supposedly.

#17 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

Software. firmware.100%.

Its some really REALLY stupid things that seem to be going on, and on, and over, and over.

Disc games start up MUCH FASTER for me when I load them from the wara wara plaza instead of the 'disc channel'.

Nintendoland curtains come up instantly for example, and a couple seconds later im running around.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#18 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:38 AM

Software. firmware.100%.

Its some really REALLY stupid things that seem to be going on, and on, and over, and over.

Disc games start up MUCH FASTER for me when I load them from the wara wara plaza instead of the 'disc channel'.

Nintendoland curtains come up instantly for example, and a couple seconds later im running around.

What is wara wara plaza?

#19 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

What is wara wara plaza?

The screen with the game icons and all the mii's.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#20 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

Interesting, I was not aware you could start games from the Plaza. Why on earth would it make a difference?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!