• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Read a great article you want to share? Have something to say or speculate about the RAM, CPU, GPU, etc. of the XBox 720 or Playstation Omni? This is your place! Discussions of the possible innovations of these consoles might also be allowed so long as it's technical.

From what I've been hearing, the XBox 720 may be around 1.5-6x as powerful as the Wii U and the Playstation Omni may be around 1.2x-4x as powerful.

Try to keep arguments as civilized debates and not fighting.

#2 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

if sony wont force their customers for online unlocks like steam services, I will consider it... no way for xbox, even if its 100x times better.

Edited by Orion, 12 December 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#3 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

if sony wont force their customers for online unlocks like steam services, I will consider it... no way for xbox, even if its 100x times better.

So you don't want any consoles? Aren't you curious for the exclusives?

#4 Crysos161

Crysos161

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

I think the Ps4 will be close to Wii U in power, but the Xbox 720 will most likely be the most powerful this gen.

#5 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

I think the Ps4 will be close to Wii U in power, but the Xbox 720 will most likely be the most powerful this gen.

I agree. Exclusives might be able to do better though, since the Playstation Omni will supposedly have 4-8GB RAM, while the Wii U has 2GB.

#6 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

PS4 - It should be like PC with no region protection for games/dlc (universal like Resistance 3)

#7 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

no way for xbox, even if its 100x times better.

What if its 101x times better?

#8 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

Based on what we've been hearing, I'd assume Omni (which I will definitely be getting if all the rumors are true) would be roughly 1.2x more powerful than Wii U, which is amazing for Nintendo.

Xbox 720, which sounds just like a boring powerhouse with HUD glasses, is prob gonna be 1.6x more powerful than Omni, meaning about 1.92x more powerful than Wii U.
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#9 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

I agree. Exclusives might be able to do better though, since the Playstation Omni will supposedly have 4-8GB RAM, while the Wii U has 2GB.

Dev kits usually have more RAM for some reason. So we'll see if they will keep that amount for the real thing (I wouldn't doubt it, RAM isn't that expensive)
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#10 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

the Omni will probably not be too much more powerful than the wiiu since sony really can't take anymore losses, the xbox will just be a weaker gaming pc with a controller and "decent" exclusives, i hope sony keeps good exclusives though, if i get another console besides wii u it will most likely be omni since i have a gaming computer

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#11 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

I'll probably do what I did this gen. Ignore Xbox (or play at friends occasionally) and buy a Playstation the last year of its life for exclusives.

8 gigs on a console is a waste, but I can see 4 gigs happening. I think one console will bite the dust this gen. I highly doubt the Wii U will fail. It's different enough and has enough exclusives to survive. And as much as people think it won't get casuals, those 100 million Wii buyers won't just disappear.

I think PC and the Valve console (whatever) will hit the PS4 or Nextbox, Steam didn't exist when these consoles were launched. The Xbox will undoubtedly be the biggest jump. PS4 will be slightly better than the Wii U. Similar to the difference between the Dreamcast and PS2.

Here's an example of DC

Posted Image

Now PS2

Posted Image

Posted Image

Essentially PS4 games will look better than the Wii U, but all will be able to run on a Wii U without sacrificing too much.

Xbox will be in it's own league directly competing with PC/Steam/Valve. There will be a lot of beautiful games on the Xbox 3, but I don't think that it will be much better than what we've already seen on PC. I used to think if a console were to fall this gen, it would be the PS4. Now I'm not so sure.

Edited by Goose, 13 December 2012 - 04:41 AM.

#12 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

I hope the XBox 720 and Playstation Omni don't have 8GB RAM, because games made specifically for that will probably be difficult to port to the Wii U. The Wii U version will probably have reduced features, in addition to reduced resolution of course. I can live with reduced resolution.

Crytek said they hope for 8GB in the new consoles. Does that surprise anyone though? In fact, in an article which seems to have been taken down, them or another developer were saying they could use 32GB RAM if they had it.

But these thoughts aside, 8GB RAM might be more futureproof. I just hope that the XBox 720 and Playstation Omni aren't superior in power and capabilities to the Wii U... if they are, I might have to buy one. And while I enjoy talking about these consoles and specs, I'm not sure I want to buy one.

#13 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

I hope the XBox 720 and Playstation Omni don't have 8GB RAM, because games made specifically for that will probably be difficult to port to the Wii U. The Wii U version will probably have reduced features, in addition to reduced resolution of course. I can live with reduced resolution.

Crytek said they hope for 8GB in the new consoles. Does that surprise anyone though? In fact, in an article which seems to have been taken down, them or another developer were saying they could use 32GB RAM if they had it.

But these thoughts aside, 8GB RAM might be more futureproof. I just hope that the XBox 720 and Playstation Omni aren't superior in power and capabilities to the Wii U... if they are, I might have to buy one. And while I enjoy talking about these consoles and specs, I'm not sure I want to buy one.

I think 8 gigs is a waste on a console unless half is for the OS and such. 7th gen had 500mb for ram and launch games required 2gigs on a PC. So at launch the consoles only needed 1/4 the amount of RAM as a PC running the same game. As the consoles matured they could handle more and still only use 500mb. Considering 8 gigs is good for running basically all games on max settings on the PC, I don't think they need as much as 8gigs. Let alone 32...

32 just seems so much to me... Why would they ask for so much?

I think the Xbox will have 8 possibly, with 1 gig for Kinect and 1 for OS or something. At least they will use a chunk for all of their set top box features.

#14 backudog

backudog

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • NNID:backudog

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

I'm hoping the Xbox has at least 8gb, coz I'm sick n tired of seeing textures popping into view in games, and hopefully with 8 gb maybe devs will be able to load enough textures in so we never see it again! Assuming that's how it works? Never been all that up on how these things work.
I hear voices in my head all the time, telling me what to do. But I just ignore them and carry on killing.

#15 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

I just don't see why on a console you'd need more than 2GB right now. There shouldn't be need for it. On a PC, sure. But that's not a dedicated
gaming device. So i don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#16 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

I just don't see why on a console you'd need more than 2GB right now. There shouldn't be need for it. On a PC, sure. But that's not a dedicated
gaming device. So i don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.

I sort of agree with you. I think the Wii U should of had a bit more. 2gb for games and 1 for os minimum. It's honestly more about the GPU.

#17 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

I think:
Xbox 720-
- 2GB RAM dedicated to gaming
- 1GB RAM dedicated to system
- Custom multicore CPU equivilant to i5 processor power wise
- Custom GPU developed by ATI and probably featuring less shaders and poly's than wiiu
- 16MB VRAM ddr5
- support of DX 11
- 1080p 60fps
-$400

Omni-
- 1.5GB RAM Dedicated to gaming
- 512MB RAM dedicated to system
- powerful custom multicore CPU probably relative in power between i5 and i7
- Custom built GPU with a little more uumph than 720
-support of open gl equivilant to Dx11
- 1080 60fps
-$500

I'll probably do what I did this gen. Ignore Xbox (or play at friends occasionally) and buy a Playstation the last year of its life for exclusives.
8 gigs on a console is a waste, but I can see 4 gigs happening. I think one console will bite the dust this gen. I highly doubt the Wii U will fail. It's different enough and has enough exclusives to survive. And as much as people think it won't get casuals, those 100 million Wii buyers won't just disappear.
I think PC and the Valve console (whatever) will hit the PS4 or Nextbox, Steam didn't exist when these consoles were launched. The Xbox will undoubtedly be the biggest jump. PS4 will be slightly better than the Wii U. Similar to the difference between the Dreamcast and PS2.
Here's an example of DC
Posted Image
Now PS2
Posted Image
Posted Image
Essentially PS4 games will look better than the Wii U, but all will be able to run on a Wii U without sacrificing too much.
Xbox will be in it's own league directly competing with PC/Steam/Valve. There will be a lot of beautiful games on the Xbox 3, but I don't think that it will be much better than what we've already seen on PC. I used to think if a console were to fall this gen, it would be the PS4. Now I'm not so sure.

what makes you think Xbox will be so powerful, all rumors point to it revolving around kinect two while keeping the price around 200-250. I think it will only be slightly more powerful than U. Microsoft would be stupid to develope a powerhouse 600$ console in this economy, cheap and casual is what I think they are going for. This casual movement of Microsoft is further proved by windows 8 which is based around it being easier to use for the unsavy.

However I think the steambox is going to be the most powerful console next gen (it isn't a pC, I don't care what try say) I'm most certainly getting it!

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#18 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

I sort of agree with you. I think the Wii U should of had a bit more. 2gb for games and 1 for os minimum. It's honestly more about the GPU.

There's a possibility that extra RAM may have made it a beefier console. The RAM is more than the 360/PS3 but may be lacking compared to the XBox 720 and Playstation Omni.

Edited by PotatoHog, 15 December 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#19 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

I think:
Xbox 720-
- 2GB RAM dedicated to gaming
- 1GB RAM dedicated to system
- Custom multicore CPU equivilant to i5 processor power wise
- Custom GPU developed by ATI and probably featuring less shaders and poly's than wiiu
- 16MB VRAM ddr5
- support of DX 11
- 1080p 60fps
-$400

Omni-
- 1.5GB RAM Dedicated to gaming
- 512MB RAM dedicated to system
- powerful custom multicore CPU probably relative in power between i5 and i7
- Custom built GPU with a little more uumph than 720
-support of open gl equivilant to Dx11
- 1080 60fps
-$500

what makes you think Xbox will be so powerful, all rumors point to it revolving around kinect two while keeping the price around 200-250. I think it will only be slightly more powerful than U. Microsoft would be stupid to develope a powerhouse 600$ console in this economy, cheap and casual is what I think they are going for. This casual movement of Microsoft is further proved by windows 8 which is based around it being easier to use for the unsavy.

However I think the steambox is going to be the most powerful console next gen (it isn't a pC, I don't care what try say) I'm most certainly getting it!

Whoever has the most expensive console coming in the fall will be in trouble for sure (except Steam box because it's probably going to be more Nitch and it's a new system). It's highly likely that the US will slip back into a recession in mid 2013. Of all the console's I know the least about the next Xbox. If the release something underpowered also then they will undoubtedly lose their audience to the Steam box/PC. I can't imagine people taking away casuals from Nintendo.

Edited by Goose, 16 December 2012 - 05:54 AM.

#20 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

Whoever has the most expensive console coming in the fall will be in trouble for sure (except Steam box because it's probably going to be more Nitch and it's a new system). It's highly likely that the US will slip back into a recession in mid 2013. Of all the console's I know the least about the next Xbox. If the release something underpowered also then they will undoubtedly lose their audience to the Steam box/PC. I can't imagine people taking away casuals from Nintendo.

Most Xbox Owners I know act like they made a soul pact to Microsoft so I am sure they won't lose their audience even if its not powerful as its will still be easy to lie to themselves and make it seem more powerful just like how many thinks the 360 is on par if not better than pcs.
I also feel nintendo for the most part already lost the Casuals .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!