Photo

Valve Steambox Tech and speculation thread!

Valve Steambox 8th generation

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: STEAMBOX THOUGHTS (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think the Steambox is a good idea??

1. YES!!! (10 votes [34.48%])

Percentage of vote: 34.48%

2. I think it could be something, but it has a good chance of failing. (15 votes [51.72%])

Percentage of vote: 51.72%

3. WTF was valve thinking!?! It is stupid (4 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

Will you buy it?

1. YES!! (3 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

2. Depends on how well they pull it off. (20 votes [68.97%])

Percentage of vote: 68.97%

3. Pfft, NO!! (6 votes [20.69%])

Percentage of vote: 20.69%

What setting do you think it will be able to play Games??

1. MAXIMUM!! (3 votes [10.34%])

2. High (12 votes [41.38%])

Percentage of vote: 41.38%

3. Medium (9 votes [31.03%])

Percentage of vote: 31.03%

4. Low (3 votes [10.34%])

5. Xbox 360 style (2 votes [6.90%])

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

I used the search bar and didnt find a topic this so..
This is the thread to discuss the possibilities of the confirmed steambox, this includes specs, game compatibility, controller, UI, anything that pertains to the awesome thing
My guess for specs
- Powerful CPU capable of advanced processes probably close to power of i7
- Beefy GPU, my guess is its custom made to run most games on high settings. Probably with 1GB of VRAM
- I'm guessing 8GB of Multipurpose RAM
-$800

Very basic speculation but i think it should be about right.
What do you think??

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#2 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Criterion, Codemasters

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Horrible poll IMO. Hmm $800 for something that can't play Monster Hunter, I'll pass. First I need to see what exclusives it can offer me, then I will decide if I will buy it or not.

LordPickleton.png

#3 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

Horrible poll IMO. Hmm $800 for something that can't play Monster Hunter, I'll pass. First I need to see what exclusives it can offer me, then I will decide if I will buy it or not.

Why don't you like the poll, I can edit it with and constructive criticism, and $800 Is just my guess, and you have to remember it is a "PC" themed console, so it is going to have some beefy specs.

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#4 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

im guessing i3/i5, 7770/6770 or close 4gb of ram and around 350 dollars

actually there might be a new amd apu developed for it i'm guessing

Edited by Structures, 16 December 2012 - 11:21 AM.

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#5 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

Not being a Nintendo fan boy, but I completely agree with Shokio's video. I don't know what market this console is supposed to capture.

2lvmghw.png

#6 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

Not being a Nintendo fan boy, but I completely agree with Shokio's video. I don't know what market this console is supposed to capture.

Yeah, its gonna capture the market of people like me, people who love console controls but also love computer games and the variety of steam games, It has everything I want in a console; but i have no idea how many people like that are out there. It will surely be interesting to see how this plays out

#7 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

I don't really see the point and market for a steam box.

As most speculate, it seems to be a quite powerful PC that runs steam games on a TV.

But you can just buy any gaming PC and gamepad and then connect it to a TV to basically do the same thing.

If it would be cheaper then it would be the same as any current gen console.

The only way it would be successful is by making a cheaper one with modest specs and is the only console on the market that has access to valve games.

Edited by Hinkik, 16 December 2012 - 11:37 AM.

28gxdv8.png

#8 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Yeah, its gonna capture the market of people like me, people who love console controls but also love computer games and the variety of steam games, It has everything I want in a console; but i have no idea how many people like that are out there. It will surely be interesting to see how this plays out

You can just plug in an XBOX 360 wired controller to your PC. For me, I don't see the market. Most people on PC's complain about consoles becoming quickly outdated, so I still don't see how this is going to take off the ground.

I personally think this thing is gonna fail flat on its face.

Edited by Colinx, 16 December 2012 - 11:56 AM.

2lvmghw.png

#9 Skywalkman-GB

Skywalkman-GB

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Fandom:
    ZELDA! + FPS

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

its a good idea sort of, as long as the valve box cant be upgraded, or has a limiter to stop people gaining speed advantages, they need every one to be the same like other console, i mean have you guys pressed the steam button at the top right of steam, it changes your PC into a live simmilar to xbox, did u also know alienware are releaseing console pc's too

NINTENDO Wii U ID = Skywalkman-GB

Gaming - Wii U Black 32GB - Pro Controller + Wii Red - PC - i5 2400K GTX460 SSC - Studio Setup - Korg microstation - Korg microsampler - Korg microkorg XL - Xenyx 1002 mixer - Boss SL-20 slicer
Find my own tracks, gaming videos etc here http://www.youtube.c...ce?feature=mhee

Posted Image

#10 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

I'm curious if its going to be a proprietary system like consoles are..as in with special hardware - or if it will just use shelf pc components...also wondering if it will be upgradable...
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#11 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

fail... Its not a console but a toy pc with lots of limitations... 800$? a joke

#12 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

fail... Its not a console but a toy pc with lots of limitations... 800$? a joke

they haven't announced the price yet, it is just speculation. Nothing is known other than it exists

#13 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

they haven't announced the price yet, it is just speculation. Nothing is known other than it exists

That doesnt change anything from my statement, as its logical to use the steam service and that means, its not a console, but an online digital reciever, with some pc hardware and digital copies only... I think or I am possitive, it will fail... Maybe they will buy it in USA, but other than that....

Edited by Orion, 16 December 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#14 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

I'd much rather just build an HTPC with specs that I can agree with and use the Big Picture mode than buy a Steambox.

Edit: Though, I'd totally get one day one if it looks (and functions) anything like this:

Posted Image

Edited by Tom, 16 December 2012 - 02:30 PM.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#15 Skywalkman-GB

Skywalkman-GB

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Fandom:
    ZELDA! + FPS

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

no i think this is a different thing, people wont be able to play with mouse and keyboard, and some controller, its going to be a console not a pc, running steam, so a valvebox cant play a pc in the same same just like a 360 cant play a ps3, i have just selected the new steam console format, and made it start up when i power up my rig, and its quite good, only thing is this way ill be playing with a 360 pad against mouse and keyboard lol, guess who will win in a gun fight lol

Gaming - Wii U Black 32GB - Pro Controller + Wii Red - PC - i5 2400K GTX460 SSC - Studio Setup - Korg microstation - Korg microsampler - Korg microkorg XL - Xenyx 1002 mixer - Boss SL-20 slicer
Find my own tracks, gaming videos etc here http://www.youtube.c...ce?feature=mhee

Posted Image

#16 Wolfy

Wolfy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Fandom:
    snep baks n sweg

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

It needs to have mouse and keyboard support, do you guys really think they're going to leave that out when we have MMO's and RTS games on Steam? Put it this way, if this thing is good and cheap enough, I will consider not even thinking about the next PS4/720 because this thing will blow it the hell out of the water, you can't beat PC games, especially when their console counterparts are running at lower than the lowest PC settings at less than half the frames, I remember everyone here actually getting mad at me because I said that the Wii U won't have many games at launch running at 1080p and 60fps.

#17 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

So what would a more accurate price guestimation be?... like the $400-500 dollar range maybe?

#18 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

So what would a more accurate price guestimation be?... like the $400-500 dollar range maybe?

yeah, probably

#19 Skywalkman-GB

Skywalkman-GB

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Fandom:
    ZELDA! + FPS

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

my

It needs to have mouse and keyboard support, do you guys really think they're going to leave that out when we have MMO's and RTS games on Steam? Put it this way, if this thing is good and cheap enough, I will consider not even thinking about the next PS4/720 because this thing will blow it the hell out of the water, you can't beat PC games, especially when their console counterparts are running at lower than the lowest PC settings at less than half the frames, I remember everyone here actually getting mad at me because I said that the Wii U won't have many games at launch running at 1080p and 60fps.

you say you cant beat pc games lol, they still gunna cross port from the 360, and they arnt going to have zelda lol, and i dont think the spec is going to be as high as you think, simply because how would they fit it all in with the heat to consider have you seen the size of a cpu and the size of the sync and fan needed, have you seen the size of a graphics card, if they release a console sized box it will be a cheap pc for gamers, wont compete with proper rigs

yea as confirmed, its just a cheap living room pc that hooks up to ur tv that will most likely run windows 7, it will compete with the ps4 etc, which isnt hard to be honest lol, other companys are going to do the same thing not just valve, all they are is small form factor PC's, with the power to run decent games, they are just trying to sell them by saying you have more possibilities, you will not be able to upgrade as they will be custom made, most of us with gaming rigs can do all this now, i think they are just trying to get some of the console market, so if theses are just pc games the steambox will be playing on the tv with the special valve controller, i wonder if they will be valvebox only servers for online games, otherswize players will get decimated by the people on highend mouse and keyboards

Edited by Skywalkman-GB, 17 December 2012 - 12:42 AM.

Posted Image

#20 Wolfy

Wolfy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Fandom:
    snep baks n sweg

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

my

you say you cant beat pc games lol, they still gunna cross port from the 360, and they arnt going to have zelda lol, and i dont think the spec is going to be as high as you think, simply because how would they fit it all in with the heat to consider have you seen the size of a cpu and the size of the sync and fan needed, have you seen the size of a graphics card, if they release a console sized box it will be a cheap pc for gamers, wont compete with proper rigs

yea as confirmed, its just a cheap living room pc that hooks up to ur tv that will most likely run windows 7, it will compete with the ps4 etc, which isnt hard to be honest lol, other companys are going to do the same thing not just valve, all they are is small form factor PC's, with the power to run decent games, they are just trying to sell them by saying you have more possibilities, you will not be able to upgrade as they will be custom made, most of us with gaming rigs can do all this now, i think they are just trying to get some of the console market, so if theses are just pc games the steambox will be playing on the tv with the special valve controller, i wonder if they will be valvebox only servers for online games, otherswize players will get decimated by the people on highend mouse and keyboards

No, you CAN'T beat PC exclusives, there's so many always releasing and so many top quality ones, why do you think that's funny? Zelda hasn't got crap on most of them, anyway. And I wasn't expecting it to be so powerful either.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Valve, Steambox, 8th generation

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!