#41 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:39 AM

In the graphics department, yeah, quite a few of them suck. But im talking about gameplay, which is whats important.

I'm talking about gameplay and features.

#42 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

Yep the wii had terrible third party support and suffered in its later years as a result. I think the wiiU will be no different. Huge success at first and then slowly but surely the other consoles draw people away from the wiiU.

#43 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

I'll tell you what Nintendo need to do fast is put a surround sound option for wii games in. From what I understand you can't get prologic II sound from original wii games unless the game has a ingame prologic II option as well. Mariokart doesn't but Resident Evil does. Effectively at the moment the only way you can get surround sound from wii games is if they have that feature like Resident Evil.

The feature that an early firmware had that wii games supported analogue audio from the AV port even if you were using the hdmi video output has been removed in a later firmware which is very poor.

For me audio support on the wii u is the most disappointing and makes it really difficult to connect my wii u up. I have to use component cables on my setup otherwise I don't get audio and I have no way of getting any sort of surround sound out of my wii u except for the fake surround modes of my amplifier.

I really don't want to upgrade my AV amp until it dies as I'm very happy with the sound quality overall.

I really hope Nintendo enable the AV sound output for both wii and wii u games at a future date even if hdmi is being used.

Well after visiting uk hot deals I saw this and caved in immediately. so much for not wanting to upgrade my amp. Solves a huge amount of connectivity issues all in one.

http://www.hotukdeal...page=5#comments

#44 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Didn't some hackers say they have already got homebrew working on wii u and even gamecube games?

No. Twiizeers is running code (sorta) On the wii u. But the environment is... Different...ish. Its not taking code like a cle, its more like a tricore ppu than broadway.

The only worthwhile thing that has been done is memory dumps.

Certainly no homebrew and definately no games.

Homebrew channel is in wii mode and works... sorta.

Edited by 3Dude, 26 December 2012 - 11:11 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#45 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

You seem to forget that just like Sony with the PS3 Nintendo took out the GameCube compatibility in the Wii all be it later on in its life.

What makes you so sure that the next Sony console won't be backward compatible with the PS3. Do you work for Sony or have inside information. If not then you don't know any more then anyone else.

On a general note people seem to think its there god given right to have backward compatibility when its not. If its included then it should be thought of as a bonus. Also just because Nintendo provides better and longer backward compatibility doesn't mean that other console manufacturers should do as well. At the end of the day backward compatiblity is overrated anyway.

I disagree, I think not including backwards compatibility is not acceptable anymore.

My Bluray player can play DVDs and CDs, so why should we accept any less from our games consoles?

This is even more relevant now things have gone digital distribution. If I am connected to PSN or Xbox Live, I expect to be able to play all the games on my new console that was available on my last one for that service.

Unlike in the past where you could just whack the cartridge/CD/DVD into the console and play your older games forever, with digital if its not compatible with the current console they will inevitable drop support for the older console eventually. This is going to bite a lot of people in the ass as it will remove access to your games if its not already on your console or your console breaks. So either make them compatible with the newer console or give me a refund. Right or wrong people expect when buying games to have an unlimited license to play that game, not an "until the publisher decides to revoke access" license.

This is also an example of where the limited lifespan of licensing deals is going to be a problem as that guarantees things are eventually taken offline. There is no such thing as ownership with digital downloads and that sucks. Many of my favourite games would be unplayable today with this business model as not all retro games get re-released.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#46 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:17 AM

I disagree, I think not including backwards compatibility is not acceptable anymore.

My Bluray player can play DVDs and CDs, so why should we accept any less from our games consoles?

This is even more relevant now things have gone digital distribution. If I am connected to PSN or Xbox Live, I expect to be able to play all the games on my new console that was available on my last one for that service.

Unlike in the past where you could just whack the cartridge/CD/DVD into the console and play your older games forever, with digital if its not compatible with the current console they will inevitable drop support for the older console eventually. This is going to bite a lot of people in the ass as it will remove access to your games if its not already on your console or your console breaks. So either make them compatible with the newer console or give me a refund. Right or wrong people expect when buying games to have an unlimited license to play that game, not an "until the publisher decides to revoke access" license.

This is also an example of where the limited lifespan of licensing deals is going to be a problem as that guarantees things are eventually taken offline. There is no such thing as ownership with digital downloads and that sucks. Many of my favourite games would be unplayable today with this business model as not all retro games get re-released.

A lot of people dont understand this, and probably wont until it happens to them.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!