#21 Tipzil

Tipzil

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Fandom:
    Link, Pokemon, Nintendo, Minecraft

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

Manhunt 2 is just one game. Where the others? There are less than 5 games in all the Wii's history that appeal to me. Mario games don't appeal to me, all those shovelware crap games the Wii got don't appeal to me.

Xenoblade Chronicles, that game is flipping amazing!
"I wombo, you wombo, he, she, me wombo, the study of womboligy, come on Spongebob, this is first grade!" ~ Patrick, Spongebob Squarepants

"Nah Nah Nah Man, you see, mah name is An'twan!" ~ Josh, Drake & Josh

#22 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

The reason the wii u is designed like it is with regard cpu and gpu is to enable wii compatibility and therefore make it an easy upgrade from the original wii. It's clear they want to keep the casual crowd but also make some in-roads into more hardcore gaming.

Wii compatibility will improve just like it did with the ps3's ps2 compatibility for the early models that had it. The wii u system software seems to be a bit rushed currently but I'm sure it will be sorted and optimised over the coming months.

I do think Nintendo could have done better here. Really they should have been prepared better (they had plenty of time). I also think the wii u is a bit over-priced.

In the UK I think it should have been the basic pack with nintendoland for £199 and the premium pack should have been £250 with mario and nintendoland. I just feel the pricing was a little high all things considered especially in this time of recession.

#23 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

If you like kiddie games I guess you liked the Wii. I myself are one of the ones that was really disappointed in the Wii. No mature games that appealed to me. I have less than 5 Wii games, my Wii was a dust collector. I am giving Nintendo one last chance but if the same thing happens with the Wii U I am jumping ship. I am already disappointed that we wont get Bioshock Infinite. :angry:

Kiddie games? The Wii appealed to gamers of any age and it has some of the best games ever: Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Zelda Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime Trilogy and the best Monster Hunter game yet and the list goes on.

It's funny, a lot of people who appreciate quality games would never say the Mario or Zelda titles are "kiddie".

Also I see more damn kids playing Call of Duty on Xbox Live and that is supposedly a "hardcore" and "mature" game isn't it? LOL

#24 Wolfy

Wolfy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Fandom:
    snep baks n sweg

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Lol, people are started to sound like old men talking back on their childhood, "Back in my day we didn't have violent games like CALL OF DUTY, we had to play Mario and the graphics were 8 bit, but we didn't care". Also, it's subjective but in my opinion Super Mario Galaxy is no where near perfect, and far from one of the best games of all time, that title won't ever belong to a platformer in my opinion.

#25 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

I still think Mario 64 is just about the best game ever and that's a platformer. You can pick it up today and it still seems fresh with amazing playability. I personally don't think the Mario Galaxy games are as good but they are still brilliant games which are very beautiful to look at despite the humble technology of the console.

#26 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

On the topic of the Wii U's backwards compatibility, we can at least say it's better than the PS3 and PS2 situation. :P

The problem is that going from Gamecube to Wii was 100% perfect backwards compatibility, barring the LAN adapter support which hardly anyone used. It booted the games straight from the disc channel just like Wii games.

However going from Wii to Wii U we are forced to boot into a Wii simulation mode which is slow and very jarring. Especially as Wii games STILL didn't have a persistent OS in the background (Wii games gave the illusion of multi-tasking, but the home menu was actually embedded in every game), this seems like a very unnecessary compromise.

Worse still we again lost online functionality, except unlike the Gamecube where hardly anyone used it, on Wii LOTS of people were using it. Nintendo deliberately made Connect24 a major selling point of the Wii as the living room console, then stripped it out of the Wii U entirely.

I have credit on my Wii in the shop channel and was going to buy some games and gift them to my Wii U. As the Wii U doesn't have a friend code, not even in Wii mode, I cannot do that. Plus I am unable to send messages to my Wii friends. That is just plain stupid and is not going to win them many friends from people coming from Wii who might use that functionality.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#27 Shogo

Shogo

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Kiddie games? The Wii appealed to gamers of any age and it has some of the best games ever: Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Zelda Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime Trilogy and the best Monster Hunter game yet and the list goes on.

It's funny, a lot of people who appreciate quality games would never say the Mario or Zelda titles are "kiddie".

Also I see more damn kids playing Call of Duty on Xbox Live and that is supposedly a "hardcore" and "mature" game isn't it? LOL

I played all the Metroid games on gamecube. Why did I want to play them on the Wii? If the Wii would had been an HD console I would, but the Wii is pretty much a gamecube in the graphics department. I have played the Zelda games on the N64 and the gamecube, and while I do think they ok they aren't my favorite games. And I wouldn't consider them "hardcore". As I stated before the Mario games don't appeal to me. And I never used the term "hardcore" to begin with. I want games that appeal to me. I'm not a kid, I'm an adult. And I'm not that interested in the Call of Duty games. I might get Black Ops 2 but only for the multiplayer and zombie modes, I played one of them on the Wii and in my opinion the single game campaign wasn't anything special.

Sorry but the Wii didn't appeal to me at all. It collected dust. The Wii is perceived as a kids console and I agree. If it appealed to you then good for you. All the major franchises games were never made for the Wii. Resident evil 5 and 6, Grand Theft Auto, Bioshock, I could go on and on... if this trend continues I will jump ship.

Edited by Shogo, 23 December 2012 - 03:40 PM.

Posted Image

#28 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

I see what he means. The games that appeal to him are adventure shooters. The Wii didn't have many of those. The Wii did miss out on Mature mainstream games too. Arkham Asylum, GTA, RE5, etc.

Most 3rd party games on the Wii were very watered down.

#29 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:47 AM

I think the wii had quite a few games that were not "kiddie" games:

Conduit 1 and 2
Goldeneye 007
Dead Space: Extraction
Manhunt 2
House of the Dead (arcade ports and Overkill)
Far Cry Vengeance
The Godfather
Splinter Cell
MadWorld
All the call of duty games
Medal of Honor
All the Resident Evil Archive/Chronicle games and RE4
Scarface

Then you have first party games like Zelda, Metroid etc.

I would say the Wii was more of a "family" console than a "kiddie" console as it has something for everyone and games that appeal to "mature" gamers and "kiddies"

#30 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:14 AM

On the topic of the Wii U's backwards compatibility, we can at least say it's better than the PS3 and PS2 situation. :P

You seem to forget that just like Sony with the PS3 Nintendo took out the GameCube compatibility in the Wii all be it later on in its life.

Didnt even read the thread just the title. And all i have to say is be gald you can play wii gamds on the wii u.
The ps3 cant play ps2, and ps4 wont be able to play ps3. And some x360 cant pla old xbox games.
Hell some wiis cant play gamecube games.
The makers let you play your old games just as a treat. They truly dont have to let you tho.
Also wii games on a wii u upscaled looks really back compared to the wii running its 480p.
But that is just my 2cent.
And one more the ds cant play gba games. (only the fat ds could).

What makes you so sure that the next Sony console won't be backward compatible with the PS3. Do you work for Sony or have inside information. If not then you don't know any more then anyone else.

On a general note people seem to think its there god given right to have backward compatibility when its not. If its included then it should be thought of as a bonus. Also just because Nintendo provides better and longer backward compatibility doesn't mean that other console manufacturers should do as well. At the end of the day backward compatiblity is overrated anyway.

#31 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:07 AM

You seem to forget that just like Sony with the PS3 Nintendo took out the GameCube compatibility in the Wii all be it later on in its life.
What makes you so sure that the next Sony console won't be backward compatible with the PS3. Do you work for Sony or have inside information. If not then you don't know any more then anyone else.
On a general note people seem to think its there god given right to have backward compatibility when its not. If its included then it should be thought of as a bonus. Also just because Nintendo provides better and longer backward compatibility doesn't mean that other console manufacturers should do as well. At the end of the day backward compatiblity is overrated anyway.

Been reported that the hardware changes are to far to run a ps3 game. Which make prefect sense. they will probably port over a few games as psn downloads tho.
But yes it has been said tht the ps4 will not be able to play ps3 games.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#32 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

Been reported that the hardware changes are to far to run a ps3 game. Which make prefect sense. they will probably port over a few games as psn downloads tho.
But yes it has been said tht the ps4 will not be able to play ps3 games.

Do you have link where it says officially that it won't be supported ?

#33 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

http://www.psu.com/a017607/PS4-backwards-compatibility-difficult-to-achieve-says-UK-developer---PS3-games-via-the-cloud

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2012/05/25/source-these-are-the-true-specs-of-ps4-backwards-compatible-10gb-ram/

Believe what you will but I know for a fact that it won't play ps3 games.
Time will tell but I bet I'm right.
xile06 "N" ID

#34 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

All ill add is the prime trilogy looks surprisingly good upscaled to 1080. Not as good as dolphibs native, but better than i expected.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#35 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

http://www.psu.com/a017607/PS4-backwards-compatibility-difficult-to-achieve-says-UK-developer---PS3-games-via-the-cloud
http://www.gamesthirst.com/2012/05/25/source-these-are-the-true-specs-of-ps4-backwards-compatible-10gb-ram/
Believe what you will but I know for a fact that it won't play ps3 games.
Time will tell but I bet I'm right.

Those are neither official or reliable sources. You can say what you want but you're no wiser then the rest of us as to what formats the PS3's successor can and cannot play. You make it sound like fact that it won't be able to and that is not fact yet. Until it is the compatibility possibilities can go either way.

#36 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

Those are neither official or reliable sources. You can say what you want but you're no wiser then the rest of us as to what formats the PS3's successor can and cannot play. You make it sound like fact that it won't be able to and that is not fact yet. Until it is the compatibility possibilities can go either way.

True but the odds of it being able to play ps3 games is no so good. I highly doubt it will be able to. Bt like I said we will see when it comes out.
xile06 "N" ID

#37 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

The problem is that going from Gamecube to Wii was 100% perfect backwards compatibility, barring the LAN adapter support which hardly anyone used. It booted the games straight from the disc channel just like Wii games.

However going from Wii to Wii U we are forced to boot into a Wii simulation mode which is slow and very jarring. Especially as Wii games STILL didn't have a persistent OS in the background (Wii games gave the illusion of multi-tasking, but the home menu was actually embedded in every game), this seems like a very unnecessary compromise.

Worse still we again lost online functionality, except unlike the Gamecube where hardly anyone used it, on Wii LOTS of people were using it. Nintendo deliberately made Connect24 a major selling point of the Wii as the living room console, then stripped it out of the Wii U entirely.

I have credit on my Wii in the shop channel and was going to buy some games and gift them to my Wii U. As the Wii U doesn't have a friend code, not even in Wii mode, I cannot do that. Plus I am unable to send messages to my Wii friends. That is just plain stupid and is not going to win them many friends from people coming from Wii who might use that functionality.

The wii was multi-tasking the gui was run from a small arm chip embedded in the main cpu silicon. The same chip was also used for the standby wireless mode when the powerpc chip was switched off. It may seem strange that a more limited cpu controls the main cpu but its an arrangement that Nintendo have also used on their DS range. The 3DS also has a similar arrangement except this time the cpu is of equal performance level. Maybe the wii u is lacking the background arm chip of the wii so can not perform the necessary background tasks like internet functionality.

Didn't some hackers say they have already got homebrew working on wii u and even gamecube games?

I do think the wii u current software is in a bit of a beta state and its likely some features may be enabled on a later operating system update. I'm sure great new features are coming for wii u.

#38 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

In terms of backwards compatibility nintendo was the first to do it and is by far the greatest at it

I think Sega beat them to it with the Power Base Converter, which while sold separately, made your mega drive/genesis play master system games.

You don't want to transfer?

How can it be official when they're still denying it exists to try and keep selling ps3's?

Didn't some hackers say they have already got homebrew working on wii u and even gamecube games?

I do think the wii u current software is in a bit of a beta state and its likely some features may be enabled on a later operating system update. I'm sure great new features are coming for wii u.

Problem with wii mode from hacking standpoint is that if nintendo update the wii menu, it will not allow you to boot into wii mode without updating.
I hope you're right about them improving the firmware. They still don't have their trademark photo/music channels yet.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#39 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

I think the wii had quite a few games that were not "kiddie" games:

Conduit 1 and 2
Goldeneye 007
Dead Space: Extraction
Manhunt 2
House of the Dead (arcade ports and Overkill)
Far Cry Vengeance
The Godfather
Splinter Cell
MadWorld
All the call of duty games
Medal of Honor
All the Resident Evil Archive/Chronicle games and RE4
Scarface

Then you have first party games like Zelda, Metroid etc.

I would say the Wii was more of a "family" console than a "kiddie" console as it has something for everyone and games that appeal to "mature" gamers and "kiddies"

They aren't kiddy but they aren't good either.

A lot of those games suck compared to the other versions too.

#40 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

They aren't kiddy but they aren't good either.

A lot of those games suck compared to the other versions too.

In the graphics department, yeah, quite a few of them suck. But im talking about gameplay, which is whats important.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!