• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Adders

Adders

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

One of the things I love about the wii u is that you don't have to worry about swearing popping up on the wii u . I know its all around us music and TV and in the street, I have a 6 year old son and its nice to have peace of mind when he is online with the wii U.

However I know that the privet chat is also monitored, do you lot think that this might put some people off the wii u ?

Like I said I am ok with it but some may say that the privet chat is a bit too far!

What do you lot think ?

#2 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

I'm not so much worried about swearing per se but I do hate the adolescent mentality which surrounds gaming. Swearing is symptomatic of the socially autistic world of Video Games. From 'Teabagging' to Sexism whether done by a 15 year old or and some in their 30's it's juvenile.

It'd be nice if the Wii U built a more mature community (the Miiverse seems like a good method) where cheating, bigotry and generally vegetagery isn't tolerated.

#3 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

POPULAR

ill tell you what i find more irritating is the annoying people who have their mics on with crap rap music blasting full pelt through it only really applies to cod though.

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

blue 3ds xl, resident evil revelations, zelda ocarina of time

#4 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

ill tell you what i find more irritating is the annoying people who have their mics on with crap rap music blasting full pelt through it only really applies to cod though.

Yep that sucks too.

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

I don't believe swearing is indicative of immaturity, low vocabulary or anything of the sort, it is a means of blowing off steam.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#6 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

i find i can swear alot sometimes in games but its harmless when i do it and never to intentionaly upset someone,its the reason im aiming to get mostly adults on my friends list.

#7 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

why would swearing indicate a lack of vocabulary surely it's more weapons in the arsenal of language lol and its great to drop the f bomb sometimes.

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

blue 3ds xl, resident evil revelations, zelda ocarina of time

#8 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

why would swearing indicate a lack of vocabulary surely it's more weapons in the arsenal of language lol and its great to drop the f bomb sometimes.

It's when people use swear words instead of other more descriptive words it becomes a sign a poor vocabulary. If a persons use's the F-word ever other word then they immature or inarticlute. "I F-ing shot him in the F-ing head for F's sake, F you all" for example.

Don't get me wrong, I love to use the full width of the language and dropping the F-word is a joy and pleasure, it's really game/situation appropriate thing.

Miiverse is a public space so it's never right there.

I find racism and sexism actually offensive, swearing is just overused.

#9 Insanity_Boi

Insanity_Boi

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda Mario Metroid Mario Kart

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

This really irritates me also.

#10 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

It's when people use swear words instead of other more descriptive words it becomes a sign a poor vocabulary. If a persons use's the F-word ever other word then they immature or inarticlute. "I F-ing shot him in the F-ing head for F's sake, F you all" for example.

Don't get me wrong, I love to use the full width of the language and dropping the F-word is a joy and pleasure, it's really game/situation appropriate thing.

I find racism and sexism actually offensive, swearing is just overused.

Yeah, it's probably best not to expose children whose parents don't want exposed to such things.

I find racism and sexism offensive when one race or gender expects different treatment because they were born the way they are, or if someone treats them especially bad solely because of it.
I also believe joking about such serious things helps to lighten the mood and perhaps decrease sensitivity.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#11 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

Yeah, it's probably best not to expose children whose parents don't want exposed to such things.

I find racism and sexism offensive when one race or gender expects different treatment because they were born the way they are, or if someone treats them especially bad solely because of it.
I also believe joking about such serious things helps to lighten the mood and perhaps decrease sensitivity.

I think you're right. I hope the Wii U becomes somewhere people can go to play games rather than be abused.

#12 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

This is why parental controls could be nice. Turn on a check box option from a form of admin account and not allow the other said child accounts access select things or see said language unless they have a password or something along those lines. Enter the password and then your account could then have a permanent unlock unless the admin account changes it otherwise. I mean it would be logical to have said options, specially when the Wii U is suppose to support up to 12 accounts right... Yet I guess Nintendo just doesn't think logically and/or care about it's overall audience to offer yet alone a preferences setting.

Edited by UnholyVision, 30 December 2012 - 11:54 AM.

#13 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Yeah, Nintendo like their parental controls, but they don't actually offer much in the way of parental controls.
They're not in depth enough for Nintendo to be proud of them.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#14 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Work it twist it Buttaball biscuit bootie bootie bootie bootie bootie Swag

#15 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

I hate that on all system.
Loud music, fighting with people at the house. fusing about crap. Its really like why dont they just turn of there mic.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#16 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

I hate that on all system.
Loud music, fighting with people at the house. fusing about crap. Its really like why dont they just turn of there mic.

Mom! Please let me play! No Mom I don't wanna go to bed!

#17 Reaver

Reaver

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

I hate bad language in games. I never used to but having kids around makes you more aware of it and now I'm not keen on it at all. I started playing GTAIV and could only stomach 30 minutes of the constant barrage of bad language, I haven't played it since :wacko:

Gore and stuff, the kids love it and find it fun like blowing zombies to pieces in house of the dead etc.. but kids should definitely not be around swearing,
i guess it's a parent thing. Then again, the way some of the yobs are being dragged up nowadays must be force fed the stuff :unsure:

#18 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

I hate bad language in games. I never used to but having kids around makes you more aware of it and now I'm not keen on it at all. I started playing GTAIV and could only stomach 30 minutes of the constant barrage of bad language, I haven't played it since :wacko:

Gore and stuff, the kids love it and find it fun like blowing zombies to pieces in house of the dead etc.. but kids should definitely not be around swearing,
i guess it's a parent thing. Then again, the way some of the yobs are being dragged up nowadays must be force fed the stuff :unsure:

Swearing in films/games adds realism. Do you really think Tony Soprano would mind his language while beating a guy to death with his bare hands?

#19 A W Reezy

A W Reezy

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, NBA2K

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

I'm the same way. Me personally, bad language does not bother me. However, I don't want my daughter subjected to it when she gets old enough to play with the Wii U. In fact, one of my reasons for purchasing a Wii U instead of the new Xbox or PlayStation, is for a more kid friendly environment. And I understand, that I can't protect her from foul language always... But I'll try to do my best to prevent unnecessary foul listening.

#20 Reaver

Reaver

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

Swearing in films/games adds realism. Do you really think Tony Soprano would mind his language while beating a guy to death with his bare hands?

:P I definitely agree, some games catch you by surprise though and while my kids are sitting there watching me play, it's a bit of a problem. I bought a Wii U on launch but with my kids being around and me having to go to bed early..ish for early starts at work, I hardly get time to have a bash on ZombiU so I'm still plaing it after a month. I do enjoy a good session on it when I do get chance to play it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!