• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 downundermike

downundermike

Goomba

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Does anyone have an opinion on advantage vs disadvantage of downloading a game vs buying the disc. I saw madden 13 available to purhcase and download, anyone done this yet.

Also, can you install the purchased disc permanently on the WiiU console.

#2 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

The game needs to be in the console in order to play it.

Sometimes when you buy the game on the eShop, and the retail version doesn't have a club nintendo code, the digital version does.

Also, you get 10% back when you buy digital.

But the reason why I buy retail... and the best reason of all... you can give the game back!

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#3 Falconberg

Falconberg

Spiny

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

I went to best buy & Walmart to buy sonic racing transformed & everyone was sold out, so I got those eshop cards & downloaded it. There are three possible big advantages & one big drawback.
The advantages are: 1. No disc to ruin/ swap out. No matter what game you were playing last, this game is always just one click away.
2. 10% back if you own a deluxe.
3. You can pick your region so that you pay less tax. For example I live in B.C. & usually pay 12% tax, by selecting the neighboring Alberta I was able to only pay 5% tax.

The drawback is that you are stuck with this game. You can ignore it, you can delete it, but you can never sell it/ trade it in.

Edited by Falconberg, 12 January 2013 - 06:51 AM.

-falconberg (Nintendo Network ID)

#4 Gnomishek

Gnomishek

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:16 AM

I personally prefer retail versions. Sometimes you just want to hold it, you know :D

Молоту войн и рокоту гроз вольные рати верны, где ветром могучим из братины звёзд рунные стяги пьяны.

#5 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

i perfer to go in a shop and pay by cash,all this digital age is scary to me,geuss im getting old lol

#6 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Disc is better, low internet speeds coupled with the price makes download only a no go at the mo.

#7 hubang

hubang

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

I went to best buy & Walmart to buy sonic racing transformed & everyone was sold out, so I got those eshop cards & downloaded it. There are three possible big advantages & one big drawback.
The advantages are: 1. No disc to ruin/ swap out. No matter what game you were playing last, this game is always just one click away.
3. You can pick your region so that you pay less tax. For example I live in B.C. & usually pay 12% tax, by selecting the neighboring Alberta I was able to only pay 5% tax.

The drawback is that you are stuck with this game. You can ignore it, you can delete it, but you can never sell it/ trade it in.

Not that anything will happen, but you should probably not admit publicly that you're evading the Taxman. Also, not sure why you wouldn't go all the way and pretend to live in Oregon at 0% tax.
Nintendo Network ID: hubang

#8 wentworth

wentworth

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

I've downloaded Just Dance 4, and said to myself, never to download a full retail game again. It took like 42 hours to download 15 Gb having a 50 Mbit internet connection. Since then, I buy all games retail. Plus, even though I have a 32 GB Wii U I only have 6 gb of free space after downloading JD4 and Trine 2, and those GB are gonna run out pretty quick as soon as I buy a couple more of Eshop titles. So, for all of you thinking about buying digital games, make sure to have an external disk lying around the house, or you will probably have to buy one to store them.

Edited by wentworth, 12 January 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#9 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

The game needs to be in the console in order to play it.

Sometimes when you buy the game on the eShop, and the retail version doesn't have a club nintendo code, the digital version does.

Also, you get 10% back when you buy digital.

But the reason why I buy retail... and the best reason of all... you can give the game back!

True. But what do you mean when you say it has no club Nintendo code?

Wait...... Does that mean I can bypass that over 20% tax in Quebec???? Daaaaannng.......

For me, it would depend on the game. I usually am carefull with my CDs, so having a disc version is not a problem for me. I would buy on the e-Shop games like FIFA or NHL, but there is no way I could buy a Zelda or StarFox, or even Monster Hunter on the e-Shop for the reasons stated by my fellows gamers above. Oh, and I'm a game collector.
Posted Image

#10 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

True. But what do you mean when you say it has no club Nintendo code?
Wait...... Does that mean I can bypass that over 20% tax in Quebec???? Daaaaannng.......

For me, it would depend on the game. I usually am carefull with my CDs, so having a disc version is not a problem for me. I would buy on the e-Shop games like FIFA or NHL, but there is no way I could buy a Zelda or StarFox, or even Monster Hunter on the e-Shop for the reasons stated by my fellows gamers above. Oh, and I'm a game collector.

Some games that don't come with a club nintendo code at retail (because they aren't supposed to) have club nintendo points when you buy them from the eShop.

sfOI1m6.jpg

#11 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Some games that don't come with a club nintendo code at retail (because they aren't supposed to) have club nintendo points when you buy them from the eShop.

Oh wow. I wonder why they would use such a weird marketing technique...
Posted Image

#12 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Oh wow. I wonder why they would use such a weird marketing technique...

I guess it's to make it seem worth more buying on eShop?

sfOI1m6.jpg

#13 thunderspider

thunderspider

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I have a doubt, you can install the game in the memory of the console, or in the hard disk?

#14 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

No you cant. Its not like the 360.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#15 Wolfy

Wolfy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Fandom:
    snep baks n sweg

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

I used to think that discs were better because I had that collector's mentality that Assassin's Creed 573would be worth something in the future. I will not buy digital games from Nintendo because their online practices suck, but Steam has made my life and hobby so much easier and cheaper, let go of your plastic cases that are being manufactured in a factory, discs should be wiped from the face of the earth.

#16 Reaver

Reaver

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Discs all the way, you can keep your downloads. One of the reasons I'm not bothered about the new ps3 or xbox is they are thinking about being download only when I last looked months ago. I like to be able to sell a game I don't like, not just chuck the money up the wall and hope I like it and if I don't, wasted money. that's my take on it anyway.

Also, as mentioned above, the eshop prices are stupidly high compared to online retailers. If you do buy the game from the eshop, you've got time to go to bed, get up the next day and toddle off down to the shops to buy it even before the download has finished. Or, you can start your download, buy a retail game online and it would come through the post the next day before the download has finished. As you can tell, I'm against it :laugh:

#17 A W Reezy

A W Reezy

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, NBA2K

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

I go with discs. This might sound a little silly, but I just love having the cases. Now, as far as returning or trading in the game, you'll never get what you put in to it... Not even close. That's not really a defining factor in my opinion.

#18 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

I buy retail unless the title I want is exclusively digital. Still, digital has it's advantages and conveniences. My only gripe with the DD service on Wii U is the fact that purchases are tied to the console and not your NNID. I believe this is a big gripe amongst Wii U owners and I hope Nintendo can fix this at some point.

Edited by Crispy Bacon, 15 January 2013 - 12:47 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Chloe

Chloe

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Fandom:
    Toadette, Kirby, Luma, Super Mario 64.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Discs - you can lend to your friends and if you get fed up with the game you can just sell it. :D

✶  ✶  ✶   ✶  ✶ 
♥ NNID: Blushes

#20 Dusean17

Dusean17

Blooper

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Fandom:
    PATAPON | LBP | DIGIMON | ZELDA | KIRBY

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

The only way I would ever switch to completely digital is if I have more than enough space for 50+ games and it will be avialable always such as purchasing through PSN, I have no idea how Nintendo Network works but if its anything like PSN I am sold.

PlayStationUnityampNintendoUnitySingleSi

To visit my Nintendo Channel click the link above, to visit my PlayStation Channel click here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!