Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

And yes, it's Rayman related.

Nintendo’s new system has lost one of its best exclusives. And no one is surprised.

So Rayman Legends is no longer exclusive to Wii U. One of the games that best showcased Wii U’s many unique attributes, and outdid Nintendo's own New Super Mario Bros. U, will now come to other home consoles.
What’s most concerning about this situation is that it isn’t surprising. Nintendo has had trouble communicating the appeal of its home console. The publisher knows this. It admits the intricacies of asymmetric play, the allure of portable play at home, or the appeal of having a built-in social network, don’t make themselves immediately apparent to those considering a purchase. Sales, though admittedly in a similar spot as Wii in early 2007, have still been disappointing. And an almost empty Q1 2013 has left Wii U as an afterthought in the minds of many consumers. Nintendo has lowered its sales estimates for its fiscal year that ends in March, predicting that it will sell 4 million Wii U systems, a full 1 million units less than anticipated. And, importantly, that means that Nintendo believes it will only sell 940,000 consoles globally in the next three months. As of the end of 2012, Wii U had been averaging sales of 612,000 units globally per week.

The drastic decrease in software isn’t unusual for recently-launched consoles. Wii U isn’t the first to experience rough patches in its earliest months – or complete software lulls. It happened to the Xbox 360. The same awkward opening plagued the PlayStation 3. And in that sense, it’s hard to blame Ubisoft for making the right business choice – Wii U has sold about 3 million systems around the world. The 360 and PS3 have a combined install base of at least 146 million units (according to recent sales estimates). The choice is clear, and if anything it’s a wonder Ubisoft was willing to even contemplate so many Wii U exclusives in the first place.

Of course the question now is – can Wii U appeal to consumers if it can’t keep a hold of third party games? Nintendo can’t do everything on its own. Its biggest projects, Pikmin aside, are still several months away. Mario, Mario Kart, Wind Waker and Smash Bros. certainly seem nice in a theoretical sense, but they are destined for release at least a half a year from now. That lack of key blockbusters in turn won’t push system sales, and without system sales, third party content that might make its way to the system will be less likely.

Let the naysayers run and sound the bells of doom! The apocalypse is clearly upon Nintendo!

… Right?

In the short term, things won’t be all that great – for game releases or for Nintendo's image. The company’s financial state won’t magically improve in the next several months. Several major third party titles (Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider and more) will arrive in stores – and none of them will be on Wii U. Next-gen buzz will fire up in a major way in just a few weeks, and it likely won’t subside in the slightest until E3 2013 is long gone – if it fades at all. Wii U, in some respects, will likely struggle to be a part of the conversation. And while Nintendo’s revealed slate of Lego City Undercover, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and more will likely all be compelling, strong content, none of them have left the impression of being system sellers. That’s not meant as a slight against those games – it’s just the reality of what Nintendo has prepared. Plus three to four great games spread across what realistically might be a six-to-seven month stretch is not the best future to imagine. But that appears to be what is in store.

Some of this short term struggle seems like it could have been avoidable. A thriving Virtual Console, particularly had Nintendo made a logical move and added GameCube support, might have offset some of the software gaps that seem poised to continue. HD re-releases of Wii games could have helped. Some Wii U owners might not have played Skyward Sword by the time it released, and no doubt millions would consider buying Mario Galaxy once more in high definition. These wouldn't replacements for AAA games, of course. They'd be stopgaps. But they would help buy time until Nintendo's teams had fully learned the hardware to ready blockbuster content. 3DS owners are used to digging up eShop and Virtual Console gems when core, ‘retail’ content remains on the horizon. 3DS owners also had several key DS games release in those first couple years. Wii U doesn't really have an equivalent luxury.

One exclusive going multiplatform isn’t the end of the world for any console, new or old. Rayman Legends is still coming to Wii U. It will still be a great showcase for the system, and it will likely be just as great as we expect, complete with unique features. However, the problem is that Ubisoft’s announcement confirms something we’ve suspected for a while – third parties currently don’t find Wii U an enticing prospect. Not on its own. And that is a problem, because a unique system must be able to be a wholly unique experience. In the future, when Sony and Microsoft are wielding their powerful new hardware, Nintendo must be able to highlight ideas that aren’t available elsewhere. It needs to have an answer for whatever key franchises come to the next Xbox and PlayStation that just aren't technically feasible on Nintendo's less powerful platform. Wii U must stand alone, if for no other reason than its hardware won’t likely allow for apples-to-apples ports, which will only discourage projects already headed to Sony and Microsoft.

In the long term, Nintendo will forge ahead as it always has. It will expand its teams with its powerful cash reserves. It will shoulder more of the burden. And one doesn’t have to look far in order to see a case where the publisher, through sheer determination and shrewd, Machiavellian business moves, made a struggling platform work. The Nintendo 3DS was facing a similarly empty future, with little third party in sight and a first-party schedule that was still sitting at the onramp. Nintendo made things work, taking massive losses to do so. Despite the PlayStation Vita. Despite Apple’s iOS ecosystem changing the world of portable gaming. And while the 3DS will likely never surge to the levels of the DS, it has started to perform reasonably well, and has a remarkably strong 2013 ahead of it.

Nintendo must set that example once again, by aggressively, rapidly taking some steps to fill the immense gap between now and the exciting (but distant) horizon where Smash Bros. and Monolithsoft's 'X' wait for us. Third parties aren't just going to show up with open arms. Nintendo must drive sales. It must create the environment to turn its own fortunes around. Some signs are evident, if not imminent. The partnerships with Namco Bandai, Platinum Games, Atlus and, yes, even Ubisoft are significantly understated. That Nintendo is reaching out for alliances and publishing deals and preaching the message of its system to those that will listen is critical. And Nintendo’s own management has signaled that what we have seen is just the beginning. If key Nintendo franchises can not only be developed externally but partnered with like-minded franchises for new experiences, Wii U will find its path. If Nintendo can find developers like Platinum Games, who have ideas that gamers love, but other publishers don’t, Wii U will recover its footing. If Nintendo can ensure that its console is not only home to great AAA games, but a huge, eclectic range of digital-only games and services, Wii U will remain competitive.

But that’s a lot of uncertainty for consumers to deal with when weighing a purchase. And, although Rayman Legends is just one game, its move to a multiplatform release signals that publishers are also wrestling with that uncertainty.

It’s going to be up to Nintendo to continue reassure this industry that Wii U has a place in it. E3 2013 is still over 100 days away, but that just might be when we find out.

-.-'

Source

Edited by Big Bowsy, 07 February 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#2 NegaScott128

NegaScott128

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

This is why I hate IGN.

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

Pony pumping christ.
It's been out a few months you donkeycluckers.

The whole internet needs to calm the horse down.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 MiyamotosMom

MiyamotosMom

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Just a hit count article, don't give it to them.

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

ha ha. More like click bait like this is ign's desperate attempt to stay relevant.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

Wow, first rich teases huge news and lays this **** onto nintendo, IGN, I know you're alot better than this.

794144.png?13383682

#7 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

I agree with IGN.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#8 Goom

Goom

The Happyman Thief

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • NNID:SpikedGoomba
  • Fandom:
    pingas

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Wow, first rich teases huge news and lays this **** onto nintendo, IGN, I know you're alot better than this.

Maybe this is the "Big News".

Posted Image

I am the hero this forum needs, but not the one it deserves.

#9 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

I agree with IGN.

Get out and never come back.

Seriously though. I'm just as pissed as the next guy over the whole Ubisoft/Rayman thing, but this is just one bad bit. People need to chill out. While I'm pissed at Ubi this is no way Nintendo's fault. Also..struggling to remain relevant? Really? You know whats struggling to remain relevant? The Vita is a prime example. The Wii U has been out for literally like 4 months for gods sake. Give me a break. Nintendo will show off 3rd party titles, have a big E3 and all this gloom will turn into praise. Bunch of friggan' band wagoneers is what IGN is, don't follow in their footsteps.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#10 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

3rd parties are abandoning us left and right.... Time to sell now before the gamepad becomes nothing more than an overpriced paperweight

#11 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Are you kidding me Ubisoft. Wii U just got one less exclusive. Even if it is coming to Xbox And PS3 it'll look like crap compared to the Wii U. Seriously, at least give it to Wii U owners early.

#12 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Seriously though. I'm just as pissed as the next guy over the whole Ubisoft/Rayman thing, but this is just one bad bit. People need to chill out. While I'm pissed at Ubi this is no way Nintendo's fault. Also..struggling to remain relevant? Really? You know whats struggling to remain relevant? The Vita is a prime example. The Wii U has been out for literally like 4 months for gods sake. Give me a break. Nintendo will show off 3rd party titles, have a big E3 and all this gloom will turn into praise. Bunch of friggan' band wagoneers is what IGN is, don't follow in their footsteps.

They IGN do have a point, lots of people have already said they were going to buy a Wii U when Ray Man came out but now as it is coming out on their PS3/X360 they won't bother buying a Wii U encase it has the same problems as the 3DS with third party games.

When you really look at it apart from Zombi U all the current & announced Wii U games are available on the PS3/X360 & Mario U is not that much different to Mario Land on the 3DS & Paper Mario Sticker Star is a far better game than Mario U & Mario Land 2 combined.

I have Aliens on order for the Wii U but there is still no release date yet & it will be out next week for the X360/PS3.

We keep getting these videos from Nintendo about what games are coming out but they are games we already know about, there will be nothing at E3 either because everything will be overshadowed by the X720 & PS4, as the Wii U is only a small step from the current gen the dev's should of already been on board but they are not, in the multi-plat magazines the publishers & dev's are coming out saying that they are already working on the next gen (X720/PS4) games but there is zero info on anything for the Wii U.

Even nearly two years after the 3DS release the games are few & far between.

Nintendo REALLY need to pull something out of the bag & this time Mario Kart or Zelda HD simply won't do, i have had every Nintendo system since the NES but i fear the Wii U will be my last, Nintendo need to pull the people that have X360/PS3 already to the Wii U but with the games for the apparent next gen Wii U being available on the their current X360/PS3 they will just wait a few more months & save their money & get a X720/PS4, that is the problem, because the less people that have a Wii U the less pub's & dev's will make games for the system.

Edited by alan666, 07 February 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#13 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Are you kidding me Ubisoft. Wii U just got one less exclusive. Even if it is coming to Xbox And PS3 it'll look like crap compared to the Wii U. Seriously, at least give it to Wii U owners early.

I'm starting to think this may be a good thing for Wii U. The game will come out on three consoles, and the Wii U experience will be the flagship. More features, better graphics, etc. It may help end the conversation about whether Wii U is next gen. They are, after all, building a Wii U game from the ground up, and gimping it hard on the other consoles.

#14 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

all we can do is wait. im still looking forward to getting a wii u and all the games that come on it.

Edited by Cozmo, 07 February 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#15 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

No, I will not go away. Did my opinion offend you munchkin?

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#16 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Didn't even bother reading the article, does anyone hear seriously take IGN seriously?

#17 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Didn't even bother reading the article, does anyone hear seriously take IGN seriously?

idk for me but when i was reading game reviews, almost all of the ones by ign were bad reviews...

#18 FrostySweetness

FrostySweetness

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sims, Pokemon, Little Big Planet

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Yeah, it is getting frustrating for Wii U owners like myself when you see all these games being announced, but not a Wii U version. They are literally not giving the Wii U a chance. Maybe it is cause of risk (the games industry isn't doing super good...layoffs all over and shut downs), but it is stupid because of course no one is going to have/buy the console if no games come out of it. It is up to Nintendo and 3rd party developers to build up a console's library, and therefore the fanbase and people who have the console.

Ninty needs to just hurry and develop the first party titles, and port games from Japan as they said. I hope that we do see Pikmin soon and that it is not going to be like the 3DS and its supposingly launch or launch window titles (some of which has not still came out or just came out almost 2 yrs later).

Nintendo will be okay though...when every console comes out, everyone talks about doom and gloom at first. Like with the 3DS, not look at it. I bet it will be awesome once it builds up. There is not too much 3rd party support (for good games) for 3DS (and a number of 3rd party titles are good), but it still is the shizz.

#19 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

I'm starting to think this may be a good thing for Wii U. The game will come out on three consoles, and the Wii U experience will be the flagship. More features, better graphics, etc. It may help end the conversation about whether Wii U is next gen. They are, after all, building a Wii U game from the ground up, and gimping it hard on the other consoles.

Since it's been pushed to September like GTA V, my guess is that it's actually being released on PS4 and Xbox720, so the Wii U version probably won't have the best graphics and probably not more features depending on what the new consoles have as far as enhanced controls.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#20 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

Since it's been pushed to September like GTA V, my guess is that it's actually being released on PS4 and Xbox720, so the Wii U version probably won't have the best graphics and probably not more features depending on what the new consoles have as far as enhanced controls.

Perhaps, for that we'll have to wait and see.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!