• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

I do not think that they have wronged publishers. I do think that it is very hard to sell certain games on the Nintendo platform versus other platforms. Nintendo needs to help third parties mitigate risk if they want to enhance the audience for these third-party publishers. Again, no wrong doing just risk mitigation.

Of course, Nintendo could attempt to make games that appeal to those gamers that purchase these third-party games, but it appears as though it would be quicker to follow something Described earlier.

#62 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

I do not think that they have wronged publishers. I do think that it is very hard to sell certain games on the Nintendo platform versus other platforms. Nintendo needs to help third parties mitigate risk if they want to enhance the audience for these third-party publishers. Again, no wrong doing just risk mitigation.

Of course, Nintendo could attempt to make games that appeal to those gamers that purchase these third-party games, but it appears as though it would be quicker to follow something Described earlier.

How? Most of these third party games don't do well because they either straight up suck, or suck in comparison games, so people don't want to waste their money. The only "solution" I can see would be to make their games more crappy or to help other companies make games. Neither of those options make sense.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#63 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

How? Most of these third party games don't do well because they either straight up suck, or suck in comparison games, so people don't want to waste their money. The only "solution" I can see would be to make their games more crappy or to help other companies make games. Neither of those options make sense.

OK, let me try this another way:

Think back to the SNES era, an era where we had games coming to either that or the Genesis. The Neo Geo would be so lucky. Nintendo was relevant in the marketplace at this point, or rather, the audience was large enough and demographically diverse enough to enjoy more than a few genres. 

Without the correct approach to get that audience, you have results like Batman: AO losing the DLC, and the next game apparently skipping the console altogether (in fact, I found a deal on that game from Amazon the other day. I played it on PC, but wanted it in my console collection. Anyway, I received a launch edition of the game. I realize this happens to other consoles, but I have never seen the pre-order game come in place of a price-slashed version). 

Anyway, we had to wade through garbage in the SNES era (LJN=All terrible licensed games today), too. However, the SNES was like the PS4 with regard to market relevancy. 

Let me put this another way:

If you worked for a publisher, and you were in charge of green lighting a project, and there was an incredible Wii U exclusive option, or an incredible PS4 or Xbone exclusive option, which of the three install bases would you bet your job on?

Everyone already wants Nintendo's Software. the gap is in the hardware that will provide the base required to get more than low budget ports. 

#64 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:00 PM

OK, let me try this another way:

Think back to the SNES era, an era where we had games coming to either that or the Genesis. The Neo Geo would be so lucky. Nintendo was relevant in the marketplace at this point, or rather, the audience was large enough and demographically diverse enough to enjoy more than a few genres. 

Without the correct approach to get that audience, you have results like Batman: AO losing the DLC, and the next game apparently skipping the console altogether (in fact, I found a deal on that game from Amazon the other day. I played it on PC, but wanted it in my console collection. Anyway, I received a launch edition of the game. I realize this happens to other consoles, but I have never seen the pre-order game come in place of a price-slashed version). 

Anyway, we had to wade through garbage in the SNES era (LJN=All terrible licensed games today), too. However, the SNES was like the PS4 with regard to market relevancy. 

Let me put this another way:

If you worked for a publisher, and you were in charge of green lighting a project, and there was an incredible Wii U exclusive option, or an incredible PS4 or Xbone exclusive option, which of the three install bases would you bet your job on?

Everyone already wants Nintendo's Software. the gap is in the hardware that will provide the base required to get more than low budget ports. 

Well considering Nintendo's ben around longest, won last generation in both portable and console market, won this generation in portable market, and was releasing their console at least a year before cmpetitors, I would have for the Wii U.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#65 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:33 AM

Well considering Nintendo's ben around longest, won last generation in both portable and console market, won this generation in portable market, and was releasing their console at least a year before cmpetitors, I would have for the Wii U.

There is no way to dispute numbers, however when the PS4 outsells the Wii U (or comes close, whichever) in a small amount of time by appealing directly to the audience that did not leave for smart phones, can we really say Nintendo won anything last gen (from a long term perspective)?

Look, I love Nintendo hardware. I want to see people buying it in the same way they purchase other systems. I also want to see the system receiving a library that reflects the industry as a whole. No, I am not talking about power and the like. I am talking about finding a way to truly appeal to everyone, include those that fall for AAA marketing. 

The customer is clearly saying that they want Nintendo software, but they also want parity with third parties (the current handheld situation shows, in some aspects, how the first party situation would be an advantage over other platforms). 

To answer my question from the prior post:

I would look at market conditions, find the appropriate demographic for the proposed titles, and look at the multiple variables surrounding the release. If the Wii U game was able to be offered at $40 with a 1 million breakeven, I would probably consider it too risky right now if the game was anything outside of categories Nintendo dominates. I would hate this prospect, but choosing the other platform would probably increase the probability of sales based on the current demographic split. 

#66 Insanejawa

Insanejawa

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:36 AM

Probably has been said over and over again on these forums but being new I'll toss my few cents in the ring.

Advertise on channels that more adults watch (you know the people with money that buy the consoles)

Try and grab more of the older gamer crowd than just tossing nostalgia their way. Although I did buy the Wii U for hopefully Zelda and Metroid but Mario was not the reason I went with the console. (Maybe Mario Kart was)

Upcoming Mario Kart bundle with included SMBU pack too.

Why did they waste time redesigning the Wii for the Wii Mini (better resource management for development)?

Actively court some 3rd party devs for Exclusives like they did Capcom with the Gamecube.

Advertise again

Dare I say it.....Another price drop.

Firmware update for Blueray if possible, Network connectivity for shared network drives to access MP3s and such

Some more major apps like Skype, Facebook and such so the Gamepad can truly be used as a basic tablet (not a full fledged Andriod or Ipad) but more than just a gimmick as most people look at it.

How about a Subscription Service that gives you back catalog game access in tiers $5 a month per console (NES, SNES, GBA, N64)

A better social interface

Different UI depending on taste/age, at 38 I find the Mii based UI seems real kiddy and probably turns some adult gamers off.

Advertise

#67 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:32 AM

I think it's a bit of a shame Wii U isn't selling more but things should change.

Nintendo put a lot of effort into the console with custom designed CPU and GPU, unique controller and high build quality.

Waiting for the games is hard but at least they are not rushed like so many 3rd parties and bugged to hell.

#68 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

man i would love for Wii U to do better.... i just wish Nintendo was more confident and marketed the console more.

#69 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:41 PM

man i would love for Wii U to do better.... i just wish Nintendo was more confident and marketed the console more.

i would love for the Wii u to do better because

1) i love Nintendo. my favourite gaming company hands down because of the way they treat their devs, the games they fund/how extensively they fund them, and the old school gaming values they follow.

2) I would love to actually play online games and not sit around waiting for matchmaking in games where online isn't number 1 *cough*splintercell*cough*

3) More success for Wii U means more games for me

4) I wanna see EA have to eat a dick.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#70 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:00 AM

i would love for the Wii u to do better because

1) i love Nintendo. my favourite gaming company hands down because of the way they treat their devs, the games they fund/how extensively they fund them, and the old school gaming values they follow.

2) I would love to actually play online games and not sit around waiting for matchmaking in games where online isn't number 1 *cough*splintercell*cough*

3) More success for Wii U means more games for me

4) I wanna see EA have to eat a dick.

tell em how you really feel

#71 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

It's too late to save the Wii U.

Nintendo will just have to ride this generation out.

#72 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

Thank you for your deep, insightful analysis of the topic at hand.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#73 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

POPULAR

Nintendo will just have to ride this generation out.

http://thewiiu.com/t...folks/?p=258967

794144.png?13383682

#74 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

Wooooaaahhh

What happened?

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#75 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

LOL thank you for posting that. 

Edited by Kokirii, 17 April 2014 - 06:58 PM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#76 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:00 PM

SailtheSeas

Boo

default_large.png

Members

boo.png

533 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

Howdy,

I'm SailtheSeas and I have been a Wii U gamer since July! I love the Wii U, it's an amazing console, I'm delighted I bought it and I look forward to posting on this forum.

Warmest regards,

SailtheSeas.

Mitt-Romney-Laughing.gif

Edited by Sorceror12, 17 April 2014 - 07:24 PM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#77 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

But as the deleted gif showed he transformed from something holy and pure to something demonic and crazy. Why? Eh...gets yelled at alot to clean his room and takes his anger out on WiiU? WiiU can't yell back

Edited by DreamCat, 17 April 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#78 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:40 AM

But as the deleted gif showed he transformed from something holy and pure to something demonic and crazy. Why? Eh...gets yelled at alot to clean his room and takes his anger out on WiiU? WiiU can't yell back

Seriously. How did someone so nice turn into someone so bitter?

I mean, in his first post he didn't even mention how the Wii U should be a PSXbone clone. It's like a totally different person.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#79 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:50 AM

Seriously. How did someone so nice turn into someone so bitter?

I mean, in his first post he didn't even mention how the Wii U should be a PSXbone clone. It's like a totally different person.

Where have I said I hated the Wii U? I like the Wii U, I just don't like what Nintendo has become under Iwata.

#80 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:03 AM

LMAO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!