• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:00 AM

Some of you may know that on the Super Nintendo there was an add on called the Super Gameboy where you could play Gameboy games on your SNES and your TV. More recently there was the Gameboy Player for the Gamecube where you could play Gameboy Advance games on your Gamecube and TV. Do you think that there could be a DS or 3DS player for Wii U to play your 3DS or DS games on? The bottom touch screen would be on the controller and the top screen would be on the TV. Does this sound like it could happen? For 3DS games it could have 3D TV support or just disable the 3D entirley. The Wii U has enough buttons and a touch screen and a built in gyroscope to support 3DS and DS games. Though it would not display any 3DS or DS menu it would just start the game.

#2 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:19 AM

I doubt that the Wii U would have something like this if I'm honest. DS/3DS games are designed for much smaller screens than a TV, so they wouldn't look great on a bigger screen. Another problem would be that 3DS games would be in 2D. Very few people own 3D TVs at the moment, and they use different technology, so I don't know if they would support 3DS games.

#3 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:20 AM

I think it would definitely be cool if they would upscale DS to HD (is that possible?), however I'm afraid that 3DS support may cut into 3DS sales. So if they do make an add-on like this, they should probably just leave it a DS.
Posted Image

#4 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:26 AM

I think it would definitely be cool if they would upscale DS to HD (is that possible?), however I'm afraid that 3DS support may cut into 3DS sales. So if they do make an add-on like this, they should probably just leave it a DS.

It's possible that DS games could be slightly upscaled, but I'm pretty sure that they couldn't be upscaled to HD.

#5 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:39 AM

I doubt it because it would be just too complicated and lots of games use the two screens as one. The games at the time had 8-bit graphics as well, and quite a lot games on the DS use 3D graphics, which would look ugly because of low-poly counts and stretched textures.

Andy, I don't think you understand what upscale means. Upscale basically means stretching the image to fit the screen. It is impossible to be "upscaled to HD" and they won't be in HD for the same reason Wii games won't get a HD update. The reason why the Super Game Boy was so brilliant because it was a sort of HD upgrade at the time, it gave the Gameboy color upgrade and some games had extra assets in the data to upgrade sprites to better ones. This cannot be used with the 3DS or DS, mainly because it can only be done with a few games due to how the game is made and extra size on the cart and because it'd cannibalize the sales of the DS and 3DS.

The amount of times games have been ripped apart, people would notice if there were extra upgraded assets in the game, so they won't be upgraded for the Wii U so there wouldn't be much point, because the upscaling from such a small screen to the massive TVs most people have these days would make the 3D models look ugly.

#6 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:54 AM

I doubt that the Wii U would have something like this if I'm honest. DS/3DS games are designed for much smaller screens than a TV, so they wouldn't look great on a bigger screen. Another problem would be that 3DS games would be in 2D. Very few people own 3D TVs at the moment, and they use different technology, so I don't know if they would support 3DS games.

My thoughts exactly AMAC

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#7 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:57 PM

Not gonna happen, but it would be cool. And with bad quality, another success for suckage!
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS, 3DS, Wii U, Player

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!