#1 Prince AKR

Prince AKR

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • NNID:TheAKiD

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:56 AM

Good day people.

I'm having a very annoying issue with my Wii U and my external HDD. A friend of mine gave me his code for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze a while ago. I used it, and only then did I find out that it's a whopping 10GB. I already had The Wonderful 101 installed on the system memory, which is another 10GB. I own the Deluxe Set, so between those games, my indie titles and savedata—it was just too much for the limited memory.

So I sacrificed HDD I was using, and hooked it up to the U. Most things moved over with ease, but anything above 1GB has issues being moved.  I lost my Smash data a few months ago because of this problem. Every time I try to copy or move big files over to the HDD, after about 2-3 minutes, a message would pop up saying that "there was an error copying the data. Only disconnect your external hard drive when the console is powered off." 

I already disabled the hard drive sleep mode function, so the disk isn't going idle. I'm stumped at this point. 

Edited by Prince AKR, 11 June 2015 - 04:41 AM.

#2 Leland

Leland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:27 AM

If it's a USB 3.0 drive, you'll need a Y-cable to power the thing with the Wii U, it only has USB 2.0 ports.

#3 Prince AKR

Prince AKR

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:37 AM

If it's a USB 3.0 drive, you'll need a Y-cable to power the thing with the Wii U, it only has USB 2.0 ports.

No, it's a USB 2.0 drive. Plus, it uses AC power.

#4 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:46 AM

It might need to be formatted (or is damaged)? Temporarily sacrifice a second drive, make sure the Wii U reformats it, then copy everything over to reformat the first drive. You can also then see if large files will work on the other drive when they don't work on the preferred drive.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#5 Leland

Leland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:54 AM

How was it formatted? If it's FAT32, you'll need to reformat it as NTFS.

If the drive is getting enough power and is formatted correctly, you might have a hardware problem with the drive itself - even if the PC could use it.

#6 Prince AKR

Prince AKR

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:21 AM

It might need to be formatted (or is damaged)? Temporarily sacrifice a second drive, make sure the Wii U reformats it, then copy everything over to reformat the first drive. You can also then see if large files will work on the other drive when they don't work on the preferred drive.

How was it formatted? If it's FAT32, you'll need to reformat it as NTFS.

If the drive is getting enough power and is formatted correctly, you might have a hardware problem with the drive itself - even if the PC could use it.

Alright. I'll fetch my SD Card+USB Reader and send everything that's currently on the drive to that, and then I'll try re-formatting the HDD. It works fine with my PC, although I can't remember if it was done in FAT32. It was also working great with my Wii, which I was originally using it on. 

Alright. I'll fetch my SD Card+USB Reader and send everything that's currently on the drive to that, and then I'll try re-formatting the HDD. It works fine with my PC, although I can't remember if it was done in FAT32. It was also working great with my Wii, which I was originally using it on. 

UPDATE: Yep, this is done.
I went ahead and formatted it through the Wii U first, but my MK8 save data still won't copy over. I then moved the HDD to my PC and formatted it there. I also ran a Disk Check to search for errors and bad sectors. That operation found a few bugs, which lead me to think that maybe that's what the problem was. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

I just moved the HDD back to the Wii U, and it formatted it just fine. I tried copying the save data over to the HDD AGAIN—and I was met with an error 3 minutes later. It's pretty much official now: my drive is partially incompatible with the Wii U. Not sure why:  it's self-powered, USB 2.0, and is able to transfer files under 1GB between the system memory and itself. I just sent over 5GBs of data from the HDD to the SD Card I talked about earlier and that went FINE. Strange situation, indeed...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wii U, Hardrive, Data Management, HDD, External Harddrive, Error Code

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!