Photo

Who are the most overrated video game characters?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

taz546565, on 30 Mar 2013 - 07:23, said:samus aran from metroid literally no character there at all yet worshipped because omfg it's a girl.

Samus is popular because she stars in many games that have the best adventure exploration level design in videogaming.

People like her because they associate the feeling they remember, spending hours discovering crazy places and bosses, with the character.

Thats why other m is so hated. It had a no holds barred massive emphasis on story, with the worst exploration in the series.

And its reviled. Perhaps more than it should be, but the message is clear.

Samus=exploration. Thats what people love.

Edited by 3Dude, 30 March 2013 - 06:01 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#22 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

taz546565, on 30 Mar 2013 - 07:23, said:samus aran from metroid literally no character there at all yet worshipped because omfg it's a girl.

Samus is popular because she stars in many games that have the best adventure exploration level design in videogaming.

People like her because they associate the feeling they remember, spending hours discovering crazy places and bosses, with the character.

Thats why other m is so hated. It had a no holds barred massive emphasis on story, with the worst exploration in the series.

And its reviled. Perhaps more than it should be, but the message is clear.

Samus=exploration. Thats what people love.

thats the game not samus i suppose i don't get it mind you i don't get link either the games great.

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

blue 3ds xl, resident evil revelations, zelda ocarina of time

#23 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

taz546565, on 30 Mar 2013 - 12:36, said: thats the game not samus i suppose i don't get it mind you i don't get link either the games great.

Its called association. Look it up.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#24 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

association a good character does not make however you can have a good game even great games without the need for a charismatic lead such as an ezio or nathan drake just look at gordon freeman you dont even see or hear him in any of the games but it works i'm not critcizing you or the games but the way the characters are built up to be something by the fans through imagination.

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

#25 Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

Mario is overrated but still Master chief is ten times more overrated. *trollface* U Mad fanboys?

Edited by Chuck Norris, 30 March 2013 - 06:48 PM.

#26 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

Mario is overrated but still Master chief is ten times more overrated. *trollface* U Mad fanboys?

You're overrated.

#27 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

taz546565, on 30 Mar 2013 - 12:47, said:association a good character does not make however you can have a good game even great games without the need for a charismatic lead such as an ezio or nathan drake just look at gordon freeman you dont even see or hear him in any of the games but it works i'm not critcizing you or the games but the way the characters are built up to be something by the fans through imagination.

You dont seem to understand this is not something you can argue.

Its a fact of psychology.

People associate what they enjoy from the metroid games, with why they like the character of samus.

You dont have a say in that.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#28 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

But it is not the character themselves so much as the journey/adventure they go on hence the over rating of the character themselves I understand better than most perhaps you should really take a look at what makes these games what they are.i think we may have to agree to disagree on this one.

Edited by taz546565, 30 March 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#29 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

taz546565, on 30 Mar 2013 - 14:24, said:But it is not the character themselves so much as the journey/adventure they go on hence the over rating of the character themselves I understand better than most perhaps you should really take a look at what makes these games what they are.

First off, thats irrelevant, you are trying to argue a fact of psychology, association, with an opinion.

Association is not a logical phenomenan, its emotional, which makes the pains you are going through to a little hard to watch... Its technically a completely illogical phenomenon. Its not something one can reason with or against. It just is.

I simply showed why other people value samus since you couldnt see where they were coming from.

Second off, your actual argument itself is erroneous.

In Nintendo games, especially the greats, the characters themselves and what you do in the game are inherently one and the same. Its why nintendo puts out so many iconic characters.

When asked what makes samus so great, the typical metroid fan would start listing off all the things they like doing, which happens to define what the character can do/who they are.

Wall jumps, charge shots, screw attack, turbo boost....

What the character can do defines the progress of the game, what areas they can explore, what bosses they can find, etc.

Its why nintendo has the most well known gaming stable in videogames. Since gamings definitive medium is not storytelling, but interactivity, defining the characters by what the player does with them makes the strongest characters.

Its why nintendo has 25 years of characters going strong, while thousands of forgotten characters lie in mass graves in their wake.

And a lot of popular franchises and characters that are popular now will be joining the character cemetary soon. Happens every time.

Edited by 3Dude, 30 March 2013 - 08:25 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#30 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

While you make good points for the games themselves you are still failing to grasp what it means by overating something on its own merits without the gameplay to support it.

#31 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

taz546565, on 30 Mar 2013 - 14:56, said:While you make good points for the games themselves you are still failing to grasp what it means by overating something on its own merits without the gameplay to support it.

This doesnt make sense in the context of the conversation.

Every point i talked about had gameplay as the defining characteristic.

Did you perhaps mean story? That was your argument, samus was over rated as a character because her games didnt have what you considered enough story?

Edited by 3Dude, 30 March 2013 - 08:49 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#32 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

So surely by those standards the master chief is one of the greatest video game characters of all time gameplay wise if that's how you define it popularity would state.

#33 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

taz546565, on 30 Mar 2013 - 15:04, said:So surely by those standards the master chief is one of the greatest video game characters of all time gameplay wise if that's how you define it popularity would state.

Actually, master chief actually is a pretty good videogame character.

What he is as a character is tightly, uniquely defined by what the player can do with him, moreso than in narrative events where all control and interactivity is removed from the player as the developers tell the player who he is.

However, you seem to be heavily under the influence of some serious logical fallacies.

Just because it falls under the category of something, doesnt automatically make it the very best at something.

The quality and quantity of said mechanics still need to be considered.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#34 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

i think you have the definition of a great character slightly skewed for purpose here. surely it is not a sum of all parts makes a great character rather the character as judged alone.

#35 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

taz546565, on 30 Mar 2013 - 15:51, said:i think you have the definition of a great character slightly skewed for purpose here. surely it is not a sum of all parts makes a great character rather the character as judged alone.

The subject is videogame characters. Important distinction.

You may want to prepare a list of companies with a larger list of as old or older more celebrated, still relevant videogame characters with different values.

That would really help your argument.

Also, you cant judge a character on its own.

Without things the character has done, things for the character to react to, to show its personality, you dont actually have a character at all.

Just a character design.

Which, Samus has one of the most iconic designs in videogames. One so potent its gone over 20 years without a redesign, and spawned countless imitations.

Edited by 3Dude, 30 March 2013 - 09:51 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#36 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Kratos from God of War. For me he's overrated.

Ur soo wrong.. Kratos, have very ancient rutes and history...  Son of STIGOS and Paleanta a Titan. They made 4 children Kratos, Envy, Violence and Victory... funny names ... others want Kratos a un-recognised child of Zeus. (I cant say the proper word b#$#d)

Anyway, his mother is such a powerful entity, that today, they say that if u ever give a bond (promise) in the name of ultra dimensional waters of Stigos and u dont keep ur promise or u lie, envy, etc, u vanish from the world as an entity, because the dimensional waters of Stigos connect with "Global Organism"  the energy that borns souls, civilizations, moves our universes... Either ways, all these entities, mythological, historical personalities, belong to the good forces... Kratos is uncle of Achiles I think... Kratos grandmother (Thetida), also born Achiles...

Kratos belongs to the 2nd or 3rd generation of human like entities, age (I remember about the 3th, they live as gods, their childhood lasts up to 200 years)

Achiles belongs to the 4th generation of humans age (like us, but heroes with hearts of steel). Especially Achilies though, is son of a goddess... But historically belongs to the 6th.

We, the today humanity are the 5th generation of humans (living inside misery and problems, we get old from the day we born... And it is true, if we think that we own money to the bunkers from the day we born!!!). The 5th generation of humans ends now... and we enter the 6th.

Mario for me...

Edited by Plutonas, 31 March 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#37 PipoPito

PipoPito

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic, Metroid, Pokemon, Ape Escape

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

Shadow the Hedgehog. I don't get why soo many sonic fans love him. Hes just a black sonic (no racism intended)
Old Usernames: Pipopito, Great Mighty Poo , Pit.

#38 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

Pretty much any main character or antagonist has overrated written all over them. And given the exposure they get within their games, I can't blame such fandom existing.

It just gets obnoxious from time to time

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#39 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

Plutonas, on 30 Mar 2013 - 23:24, said:Ur soo wrong.. Kratos, have very ancient rutes and history...  Son of STIGOS and Paleanta a Titan. They made 4 children Kratos, Envy, Violence and Victory... funny names ... others want Kratos a un-recognised child of Zeus. (I cant say the proper word b#$#d)
Anyway, his mother is such a powerful entity, that today, they say that if u ever give a bond (promise) in the name of ultra dimensional waters of Stigos and u dont keep ur promise or u lie, envy, etc, u vanish from the world as an entity, because the dimensional waters of Stigos connect with "Global Organism"  the energy that borns souls, civilizations, moves our universes... Either ways, all these entities, mythological, historical personalities, belong to the good forces... Kratos is uncle of Achiles I think... Kratos grandmother (Thetida), also born Achiles...
Kratos belongs to the 4th or 5th generation of human like entities, age (I remember about the 5th, they live as gods, their childhood lasts up to 200 years)Achiles belongs to the 6th generation of humans age (like us, but heroes with hearts of steel). Especially Achilies though, is son of a goddess... But historically belongs to the 6th.We, the today humanity are the 7th generation of humans (living inside misery and problems, we get old from the day we born... And it is true, if we think that we own money to the bunkers from the day we born!!!). The 7th generation of humans ends now... and we enter the 8th.
Mario for me...

How can his opinion be wrong? This is a thread based on opinions.

#40 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

Mario.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!