#1 Blade of Dyna

Blade of Dyna

Spear Guy

• Banned
  • 84 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby and Zelda

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

TOKYO—Nintendo Co. President Satoru Iwata has pledged that the “Super Mario” game creator will post a 100 billion-yen ($1 billion U.S.) operating profit this fiscal year as new software titles boost sales. Analysts say he’ll fail.

Iwata will announce a second straight annual loss tomorrow, losing 18.7 billion yen in the 12 months ended March 31, according to the average of 15 estimates compiled by Bloomberg. For the year started April 1, Nintendo may post operating income of 70 billion-yen, according to the average of 19 estimates—short of a target he said was a personal “commitment.”

Nintendo’s Wii U, its first new home-gaming console since 2006, is failing to meet sales targets amid a delay to software releases that Iwata said were crucial to winning over consumers who increasingly play games on smartphones and tablet computers. Sony Corp. and Microsoft Corp. are also preparing to release upgraded consoles this year, adding pressure on the 53-year-old executive who has been in the role since 2002.

“Iwata hasn’t produced good results in recent years,” said Hideki Yasuda, a Tokyo-based analyst at Ace Securities Co. in Tokyo. “He can’t avoid being criticized.”

Yasuhiro Minagawa, a spokesman for Kyoto-based Nintendo, declined to comment on the difference between its commitment and analysts’ forecasts. The company will release earnings after the close of trading Tuesday.

Nintendo rose 0.8 per cent to 11,630 yen yesterday and has gained 27 per cent this year, compared with a 31 per cent surge in Japan’s benchmark Nikkei 225 Stock Average. Sony has jumped 71 per cent.

To help win back gamers from mobile devices, the company last year released the Wii U that combines TV screen action with a touch-screen controller in the company’s first new console since the original Wii was released in 2006.

To avoid repeating the mistake Nintendo made with its 3DS handheld player, which had its price cut within six months of a 2011 debut on a lack of software, Iwata promised to keep the pipeline of games for the Wii U strong.

Preparing software would drive demand for hardware such as the Wii U, Iwata said in June before the machine’s debut.

He couldn’t maintain it as Nintendo halted new software for the Wii U at the start of this year because of development delays, Iwata said Jan. 31.

In Japan, the release of Pikmin 3 in Japan is delayed to July from this spring, according to the company’s announcements. Game & Wario was pushed back to March 28 from the beginning of the year.

“He has been one step behind in some strategic points,” said Eiji Maeda, an analyst at SMBC Nikko Securities Inc. “Contents are important to increase game fans. But Nintendo couldn’t provide game titles.”

The company may have sold 3.5 million Wii Us last financial year, missing its target of 4 million, Takeshi Koyama, a Tokyo- based analyst at Mizuho Financial Group Inc., said in a report April 16. The company may sell 9 million units this fiscal year, he said.

Nintendo also faces tougher competition for game players from rival console makers in a market that is shrinking amid the shift to mobile devices.

Sony said in February it will release a Playstation 4 before the year-end holiday season, its first upgrade in seven years. Microsoft may unveil the successor to its Xbox 360 at the gaming industry’s E3 expo in June or a separate event in May, three people familiar with the plans said this month.

U.S. retail sales of video-game hardware, software and accessories fell 10 per cent to $992.5 million (U.S.) last month, according to researcher NPD Group Inc. Hardware sales fell the most, declining 32 per cent compared with a year ago, Port Washington, New York-based NPD said in April 18 e-mailed statement.

While Nintendo struggles with its main business, a weakening of the yen may give some relief, as it boosts the value of overseas earnings. The Japanese currency has depreciated about 13 per cent against the U.S. dollar this year and touched a four-year low of 99.95 on April 11.

if Nintendo doesnt wow people at E3 then their d00med.

http://www.thestar.c...ii_u_flops.html

#2 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

POPULAR

if Nintendo doesnt wow people at E3 then their d00med.

Oh jesus not again...

picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151

Signature_DK.png

#3 GhostDrive

GhostDrive

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

MAN THE LIFE BOATS EVERYONE THE S.S. NINTENDO IS GOIN DOWN!!!

#4 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

Sure say the Wii U is doomed before the announced IPs even get a chance to drop.

46675d1344986617-ever-had-try-genius-mem

Signature_DK.png

#5 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

I think the wii u will eventually perform well, but I still think Iwata needs to leave and someone young and in touch with the market needs to come in.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#6 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Oh jesus not again...

picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151

AT LEAST WE KNOW THE SOLUTION. NINTENDO NEED TO BUY SEGA TO MAKE THOSE GUYS AT THE SEGA FORUM MAD SO THE WII U CAN SELL 2 MILLIONS.

Edited by Soul, 22 April 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#7 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

POPULAR

yeah the 3ds was doomed too... and the ps3... and the xbox 360... and the xbox... and the playstation... and the snes... and the master system... and the atari 2600... and the odessey II...

but seriously is this everyone's first console launch? I don't think there's a console this didn't happen with

Edited by Shaved Bear of Happiness, 22 April 2013 - 05:25 PM.

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#8 GhostDrive

GhostDrive

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

Once E3 gets here, it'll alllll get better. Just keep your pants on!

#9 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

yeah the 3ds was doomed too... and the ps3... and the xbox 360... and the xbox... and the playstation... and the snes... and the master system... and the atari 2600... and the odessey II...

but seriously is this everyone's first console launch? I don't think there's a console this didn't happen with

Judging by the ages of a lot of people on these forums, I assume this would be their first launch. For us older folk, it's a cycle.

#10 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

Once E3 gets here, it'll alllll get better. Just keep your pants on!

but.... mine are already off....... WHAT DO I DO SIR!

wa3Nq7j.png

#11 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

i think iwata should to step down. im not a financial guru but two years of losses in a row means something has to change. iwata should still be the voice of nintendo with the directs and stuff but not the decision maker, bc it seems that its not working out too well... i love my wii u and...again...i still want it to be my main system so a new head to get these games on board would be appreciated.

#12 GhostDrive

GhostDrive

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

but.... mine are already off....... WHAT DO I DO SIR!

Put them back on soldier!

#13 RobDaCool

RobDaCool

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • NNID:RobDaCool
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Rayman

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

My friend made me an offer for my Wii U -I'm beginning to think I may take it  :unsure:

Wii U: RobDaCool | PSN: RobbieDaCool | 3DS: 0903-4184-6816

Twitter! | FaceBook 

#14 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

AT LEAST WE KNOW THE SOLUTION. NINTENDO NEED TO BUY SEGA TO MAKE THOSE GUYS AT THE SEGA FORUM MAD SO THE WII U CAN SELL 2 MILLIONS.

LOL great post bro.

Signature_DK.png

#15 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

The SNES had the best launch line-up in history, and the Xbox had Halo to keep them afloat at launch.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#16 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

Judging by the ages of a lot of people on these forums, I assume this would be their first launch. For us older folk, it's a cycle.

True considering there are so many people under the age of 16

Signature_DK.png

#17 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:17 AM

RobDaCool, on 23 Apr 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:My friend made me an offer for my Wii U -I'm beginning to think I may take it 

*slaps* wait until E3

#18 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:35 AM

Oh wow, another doom and gloomer, I havn't seen this before - said no-one on the Wii U Forums ever.

#19 RobDaCool

RobDaCool

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • NNID:RobDaCool
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Rayman

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:06 AM

RobDaCool, on 23 Apr 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:My friend made me an offer for my Wii U -I'm beginning to think I may take it 

*slaps* wait until E3

Thats all I hear it seems lol Other consoles get games, Wii U owners get "coming soon" and "wait till E3" 

Wii U: RobDaCool | PSN: RobbieDaCool | 3DS: 0903-4184-6816

Twitter! | FaceBook 

#20 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

Thats all I hear it seems lol Other consoles get games, Wii U owners get "coming soon" and "wait till E3" 

It's a launch console, I don't see many launch titles for PS4, I expect Sony and Microsoft to sell probably 3 to 6 million during the Winter due to hype (like people bought Wii Us) and then they'll be a dramatic slump in hardware sales until after E3 2014 and Sony and Microsoft have more games developed.

We wont really have a better judgement of Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft Until January 2015 where all three consoles have had time settle, and games start to become "next gen only" titles, and those titles are made at the same time as each other, rather than the current fiasco of either delaying a  launch of a game to fit in the Wii U or forgetting about a port completely and working on Wii U games next time.

Yes I'm annoyed at the situation too, but not much I can do.

I remember one kid on CVG who traded in his 3DS just a day before LTTP2 was announced, and now severely regrets it. 

If Nintendo doesn't deliver a stunning E3 and basically fails to destroy Microsoft and Sony more powerful console events THEN it may be a time to consider trading it in. However everything points to a hella ton of game exclusives coming to Wii U, causing more publishers to start porting multiplats over too. Good things come to those who wait. :)

Edited by Penguin101, 23 April 2013 - 05:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!