Photo

The Official "Should Iwata Step Down" Poll thread

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: The Official "Should Iwata Step Down" Poll thread (37 member(s) have cast votes)

What should Satoru Iwata do?

1. Remain CEO of Nintendo but make better decisions/marketing strategys (27 votes [72.97%])

Percentage of vote: 72.97%

2. Step down from CEO (6 votes [16.22%])

Percentage of vote: 16.22%

3. Nothing, Iwata is doing a great job (4 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Blade of Dyna

Blade of Dyna

Spear Guy

• Banned
  • 84 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby and Zelda

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

cast your votes then comment

#2 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

Option #1. His new position as CEO of NoA should help broaden his knowledge of audience appeal. 

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#3 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

POPULAR

It's already apparent that Iwata has improved since the 3DS launch (one of its big problems was lack of first party software from the beginning, Wii U fixed that), and the holiday season should give Nintendo a needed boost. I don't think that Iwata has really made any critical mistakes in all honesty. All consoles go through their rough patch in the beginning.

Also, better people in the marketing team would be pretty helpful.

#4 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

It's already apparent that Iwata has improved since the 3DS launch (one of its big problems was lack of first party software from the beginning, Wii U fixed that), and the holiday season should give Nintendo a needed boost. I don't think that Iwata has really made any critical mistakes in all honesty. All consoles go through their rough patch in the beginning.

Also, better people in the marketing team would be pretty helpful.

How exactly did Wii U fix it? In my eyes, Iwata made the same mistake they did with the 3DS. No desirable launch titles. Mario is meh, we've seen it before. Nintendo Land is a fun game with friends but it gets old after a while. The best thing that they had at launch was ZombiU and that wasn't even a Nintendo title. 

2lvmghw.png

#5 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

Option 1 shouldnt even be on there just because who doesnt like Iwata? hes a really nice awesome dude, of course that one will win :P

#6 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

How exactly did Wii U fix it? In my eyes, Iwata made the same mistake they did with the 3DS. No desirable launch titles. Mario is meh, we've seen it before. Nintendo Land is a fun game with friends but it gets old after a while. The best thing that they had at launch was ZombiU and that wasn't even a Nintendo title.

"Mario is meh", "The best thing that they had at launch was ZombiU" okay, asserting subjective opinions as fact is a big no no. People buy Nintendo consoles for first party primarily, as was the case with the 3DS. it was severely lacking in that department.

The Wii U had a stronger first party lineup than the 3DS and more announced ones in the near future.

Edited by Kaka Karrot Cake, 25 April 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#7 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

"Mario is meh", "The best thing that they had at launch was ZombiU" okay, asserting subjective opinions as fact is a big no no. People buy Nintendo consoles for first party primarily, as was the case with the 3DS. it was severely lacking in that department.

The Wii U had a stronger first party lineup than the 3DS and more announced ones in the near future.

My opinon really shouldn't matter as the sales speak for themselves. I know people don't buy Nintendo consoles for 3rd party games, Nintendo fans will usually pick up exclusives such as ZombiU hence why it is the best 3rd party game selling on the console. Mario obviously sold a lot because its one of the only Nintendo games. Yes, it did have a stronger line up of ports and I guess you could say the first party was better for the Wii U launch than the 3DS, I mean I don't think Nintendodogs, Pilot Wings and Street Fighter were all that bad of launch games for the 3DS but I'll agree for you case, but its not by much. All it was, was another 2D Mario game, a decent 3rd party exclusive, 3rd party ports from months ago or some recent (AC3 and BO2) and a Nintendo published party game.

Edited by Colinx, 25 April 2013 - 06:21 PM.

2lvmghw.png

#8 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

Iwata should step down if this newly acquired position produces no gain. Simple as that.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#9 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

the thing that concerns me is that with him as ceo, they lost money two years in a row from what i heard. i also chose option 1. he seems to be a nice guy, but he needs to market better and  do better with third parties.

#10 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:08 AM

I suspect a combination of things has soured the wii u's launch.

But probably the biggest factor is nintendo's uncompromising demand for quality. Nintendo is well known for delaying games because they dont think they are good enough.

From oot, to ww, galaxy, kid icarus uprising, the list can go from here to eternity.

It was most likely this that pretty much emptied the wii u of first party titles during its, well, current entire lifespan. The perfectionism really bit them in the butt this time.

Iwata becoming noa ceo is most likely because he wants to take on a hands on approach to fixing the problem here. So lets see what he does over the course of the next few months, and THEN start coming to conclusions.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#11 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:11 AM

Option #1. His new position as CEO of NoA should help broaden his knowledge of audience appeal. 

He may try to do the opossite, force persuade the other thing arround.

Things they must change...

1) hype their systems as hardware, they dont.

2) Innovations are good, but when it comes to a desktop console, the user doesnt care about ONLY FOR THE CONTROLLERS..

3) voice overs in nintendo exclusives

4) hype their consoles with feature announcements.. they dont. (they only announce the classic stuff)... Not the big ones...(retro, monolith, etc)

5) they need to innovate their heroes also... with new IPs (not only a racing and platformers) but rpgs and mmos...

Things I like with Iwata..

1) he respects offline gamers (at least up to date).

2) cheaper game prices

3) they keep the originallity of nintendo

Edited by Plutonas, 26 April 2013 - 03:19 AM.

#12 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

Iwata isn't a screw up like the now ex-CEO of HP Léo Apotheker. So no I don't think he needs to step down.

Now of he ever says Nintendo needs to get out of the hardware business, he needs to be assassinated.

(if anyone gets that smile lol)

But the 3DS didn't have a Mario title. It had Pilotwings and nintendodogs. The Wii U at least had a Mario game, and Nintendo Land. Again, it wasn't a huge improvement but it's not like they had a lot of time. Delaying the launch would hurt the third party developers because they need the game being released. So they did what they could to improve the Wii U launch.

And it wasn't horrible. The problem started in Jan. They didn't have games then and on being released.

Although I am mad about Pikman 3!
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#13 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:04 AM

I like Iwata and really hope he can turn things around over the next year. If he fails to turn Wii U into a success by then, he needs to be replaced.

Posted Image

#14 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

Iwata isn't a screw up like the now ex-CEO of HP Léo Apotheker. So no I don't think he needs to step down.

Now of he ever says Nintendo needs to get out of the hardware business, he needs to be assassinated.

(if anyone gets that smile lol)

But the 3DS didn't have a Mario title. It had Pilotwings and nintendodogs. The Wii U at least had a Mario game, and Nintendo Land. Again, it wasn't a huge improvement but it's not like they had a lot of time. Delaying the launch would hurt the third party developers because they need the game being released. So they did what they could to improve the Wii U launch.

And it wasn't horrible. The problem started in Jan. They didn't have games then and on being released.

Although I am mad about Pikman 3!

It's not like the Mario was a must have exclusive title, you could get the same experience 3 times prior and all on cheaper platforms. They could have released Wii U this year with a stronger line-up which would have made more sense. It's what they should had did. They weren't ready and that was really my point. It wasn't a strong launch line up and even if it was better then the 3DS, they still made the same mistake. Nothing as a must have.

2lvmghw.png

#15 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

I don't think Iwata should step down, but he definitely needs to formulate a better strategy than the one he's currently using. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#16 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

He's the ceo now not a trainnee. I'd rather see a proven leader in technology, entertainment.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#17 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

It's not like the Mario was a must have exclusive title, you could get the same experience 3 times prior and all on cheaper platforms. They could have released Wii U this year with a stronger line-up which would have made more sense. It's what they should had did. They weren't ready and that was really my point. It wasn't a strong launch line up and even if it was better then the 3DS, they still made the same mistake. Nothing as a must have.

Actually, they couldn't. Do you realize how much money it takes to make games? If they delayed the games, third party publishers would of been hurt, especially the ones all ready hurting (like the makers of Darksiders 2). Delaying the games would make some of the games even more irrelevant and hurt sales (Batman Arkman City).

And Mario is one of Nintendo's biggest sellers of all time. It is a huge exclusive. I don't know what you are talking about saying Mario isn't a huge exclusive. People were up in arms with a 3DS launch and no Mario. Now Nintendo gives a Mario at launch, bur oh it's not a huge exclusive.

And the funny thing is I'm nit a Mario fan, but even I realize that it's a big exclusive.

#18 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Actually, they couldn't. Do you realize how much money it takes to make games? If they delayed the games, third party publishers would of been hurt, especially the ones all ready hurting (like the makers of Darksiders 2). Delaying the games would make some of the games even more irrelevant and hurt sales (Batman Arkman City).

And Mario is one of Nintendo's biggest sellers of all time. It is a huge exclusive. I don't know what you are talking about saying Mario isn't a huge exclusive. People were up in arms with a 3DS launch and no Mario. Now Nintendo gives a Mario at launch, bur oh it's not a huge exclusive.

And the funny thing is I'm nit a Mario fan, but even I realize that it's a big exclusive.

Yes, I do realize. It's almost an insult to my intelligence that you would ask such a dumb question. Obviously I said that they should have pre-planned to release it this year. Not in 2012. Arkham and Darksiders would have skipped the platform.

I didn't say Mario wasn't a big exclusive, I said that type of Mario game isn't a system seller. Maybe it would have been if it were released before NSMBW but it wasnt. 

2lvmghw.png

#19 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

Yes, I do realize. It's almost an insult to my intelligence that you would ask such a dumb question. Obviously I said that they should have pre-planned to release it this year. Not in 2012. Arkham and Darksiders would have skipped the platform.

I didn't say Mario wasn't a big exclusive, I said that type of Mario game isn't a system seller. Maybe it would have been if it were released before NSMBW but it wasnt.

There is no insult. But you still aren't getting it. Those games were planned before the 3DD launched and Nintendo realized there mistake. Nintendo couldn't say "Sorry guys, we aren't ready you going to have to cancel your hard work for our system and start fresh with something else for 2013." They just couldn't do that. I mean, sure they could, buy developers and publishers would go out of business. THQ did go out of business, so that game would have not just been cancelled we would have lost a developer/publisher for launch.

Again, no insult to you. But I disagree with you. And you are free to disagree with me. But it is my opinion that Nintendo did what they could to get a Mario for launch.

What is sad is apparently Nintendo planned to release the Wii U with little to no games originally. That would have been a horrible mistake.

But they learned from the 3DS launch, and they tried to recover. They failed in keeping the flow of games, which I see to be there only mistake.

Oh, and I am still made no Pikman 3 yet!

#20 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

There is no insult. But you still aren't getting it. Those games were planned before the 3DD launched and Nintendo realized there mistake. Nintendo couldn't say "Sorry guys, we aren't ready you going to have to cancel your hard work for our system and start fresh with something else for 2013." They just couldn't do that. I mean, sure they could, buy developers and publishers would go out of business. THQ did go out of business, so that game would have not just been cancelled we would have lost a developer/publisher for launch.

Again, no insult to you. But I disagree with you. And you are free to disagree with me. But it is my opinion that Nintendo did what they could to get a Mario for launch.

What is sad is apparently Nintendo planned to release the Wii U with little to no games originally. That would have been a horrible mistake.

But they learned from the 3DS launch, and they tried to recover. They failed in keeping the flow of games, which I see to be there only mistake.

Oh, and I am still made no Pikman 3 yet!

I don't think it's me not understanding you. It's you not understanding me, I said pre-planned. Not change the release date. Back in 2011 before announcing anything they should have looked at all their game schedules ect. and asked themselves if it would have been realistic to actually release this thing this year and they clearly over estimated themselves. The sales speak for themselves. Would have sold more if it launched with a better 1st party Nintendo title then NSMBU. That is a game that in my opinion, should have come out in 3-4 years time. 

2lvmghw.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!