Photo

Why didnt Nintendo just make wii u more powerful?

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#61 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

lol fair points but wrong mate, apart from the epic bit, unreal 4 might run but devs will use 3 on wii u to make there games run better, im looking for source on that.
Number 5 was nothing about power it clearly says BIG MARKETING CAMPAIGN.
Look im a nintendo fan too ( lol hard to believe from recent posts ) i do like the wii u, but im just anoyed at nintendos sheer ignorance towards developers needs, meaning this great console will be snubbed for big new titles i will want to play. I see it like this.........
imagine you ask me to build wall, you say to me, "what do you need", i say "bricks, cement, a shovel, and spirit level, and it will be perfect". You bring me everything i need except the cement, "the wall aint gonna last" i tell you.... do you see my point lol

Look all you want for a quote saying that the Wii U can't run Unreal 4. By now you'll see that updated.

That's true about number five, however I was talking about the Unreal 4 comment, which clearly brings the power argument back into play. So maybe the original poster should have 6 bullet points, or better yet, have the unreal 4 argument under the power.

But I agree with the marketing complaint. Nintendo always sucked at that though.

And it's clear you don't know NINTENDO DID work with developers. Including EA. They put what they wanted in there. EA was PRAISING the Wii U. Others were and STILL ARE praising the Wii U. And the CEO of Nintendo is a developer himself.

The problem with EA has nothing to do with power. I've proven this. Not doing it again.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#62 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

after seeing xbox one presentation, i feel like thats what nintendo wanted all along, motion control, all in one, they just made a toy version of it. E3 come on nintendo please do us proud !

#63 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

after seeing xbox one presentation, i feel like thats what nintendo wanted all along, motion control, all in one, they just made a toy version of it. E3 come on nintendo please do us proud !

We can only hope but one things for sure... Nintendo should have given Wii U more RAM. 1GB vs 8GB isn't a fair fight. But I'm sure people will overlook it and say nintendo is fine.

#64 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

We can only hope but one things for sure... Nintendo should have given Wii U more RAM. 1GB vs 8GB isn't a fair fight. But I'm sure people will overlook it and say nintendo is fine.

The other consoles need that extra ram to run all of the extra services and multi-tasking and background features. The Xbox One is running 3 OS's. 

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#65 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

The other consoles need that extra ram to run all of the extra services and multi-tasking and background features. The Xbox One is running 3 OS's.

So how much you think that will take up? 3-4GB still leaves half for games. Am I wrong to assume that?

#66 ganados0

ganados0

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

Wii U has 2GB of RAM and in time I wouldn't be surprised to see more freed up for games.

#67 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

So how much you think that will take up? 3-4GB still leaves half for games. Am I wrong to assume that?

Can't say for sure, I would leave that up to the guys who have a better understanding of it then me. But too many people assume 8gb is for games not saying you do, but people jump on it and simply assume wrongly. Kinetic 2.0 probably uses a full gig, or perhaps 2. 

Just quickly looking online, the kinetic SDK requires 2 gigs of ram, not sure if thats much different then what's being used in the xbox one. And, this is just for starters, don't forget 3 OS's, multi-tasking etc. The PS4 has many sharing and social features, streaming, capturing video etc.

Edited by Sorceror12, 21 May 2013 - 12:38 PM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#68 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

it truly is all in one though, and how quick were the apps swaped i mean wow! how long would it take us to stop playing a game and start watching a film on netfix on wii u. now ive heard somebodys argument saying wii u is the only dedicated games console, and all the xbox power is needed for all the services it provides outside gaming.
EXACTLY, wiitv, internet, gaming, mii verse, not exactly a truly dedicated console is it.
So at least do it like (and i hate to say it) microsoft just did. :(

#69 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

it truly is all in one though, and how quick were the apps swaped i mean wow! how long would it take us to stop playing a game and start watching a film on netfix on wii u. now ive heard somebodys argument saying wii u is the only dedicated games console, and all the xbox power is needed for all the services it provides outside gaming.
EXACTLY, wiitv, internet, gaming, mii verse, not exactly a truly dedicated console is it.
So at least do it like (and i hate to say it) microsoft just did. :(

It's actually very fast to jump to TVii from any other app on WiiU, but not that fast.  It was impressive, no arguing that, but at what cost?

#70 ameritt

ameritt

Spiny

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

It's actually very fast to jump to TVii from any other app on WiiU, but not that fast.  It was impressive, no arguing that, but at what cost?

Exactly. I was actually quite impressed, but then I remembered how much that thing is probably going to cost. My guess is at least $400 - $450

#71 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

Um, 2GB vs 8GB. And how much of that RAM is going to be used for games is unseen.

I doubt 4GB for games. 2GB for Kinect alone. If you think Nintendo allowing 1GB for the OS, then Microsoft is probably doing the same, or more. SO that 5GB. That leaves 3GB for other possible features I am forgetting and games. AND that's assuming Microsoft is going to give 1GB for each OS. Windows 8 requires 2GB for a 64 Bit Processor. So it's possible one or two of the OS will require more than 1GB of RAM and maybe the one dedicate for games just 1GB.

Which put's it about the same amount of RAM for games as the Wii U.

#72 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

I feel Nintendo could not afford to make a stronger system simply because the people who would buy a 500$ system lost their confidence with Nintendo. Since their wii system was a mediocre system when compared with its contemporarys.

Now thats not to dismiss the WiiU since I'm a firm believer that the system will have a strong e3 and it's definitely not a weak system either.

#73 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

The PS4 is the strongest with regards memory. Originally it was designed to have only 4GB of GDDR and xbox one was 8GB of slower memory but Sony changed to 8GB. Sony's operating system will be far leaner than the xbox one so it's quite possible the ps4 could have 6-7GB of memory for games compared to perhaps 4-5GB for the xbox one.

The wii u has1GB for games but it will have a buffer in the other 1GB of memory to cache the optical drive. Likely in the region of 128-256MB of memory. The gamecube used 16MB of memory to cache the 1.7GB optical drive, the wii 64MB for 8.6GB and now the wii u has 25GB discs its likely 2-4x more cache is used. The same memory is also used for audio data which on the wii u is processed by an arm chip. The reason I mention this is because the wii was claimed to have 91MB of memory, 24MB main, 3MB video and 64MB DDR but the DDR was the buffer memory. Same with Gamecube it had 43MB, 24MB main memory, 3MB video and 16MB buffer memory. So really the wii u has more than 1GB of gaming memory if the buffer/cache is in the other 1GB of memory like some people have claimed.

The reason the wii is fully compatible with the gamecube despite not having any of the gamecube's slow 16MB of memory is because the gamecube main cpu/gpu couldn't process data stored in the buffer memory directly it had to be transfered into main memory.  The wii uses its DDR memory in place of the gamecube's slow memory and has 100% compatibility. So the wii u by that definition probably has in excess of 1GB of gaming memory already. This buffer is a necessity due to the lack of a hard drive in the wii u. Nintendo don't like slow loading times, they kept to cartridges for as long as possible right up to the N64 and when they did go to optical discs Nintendo put huge effort in to making loading super fast. The gamecube is much faster at loading than dreamcast, ps2 or even xbox with its hard drive. Just making the point that the wii u may not have lost half its memory for the operating system and apps which would seem very excessive. Using the current definition of the wii u memory split both the Gamecube and wii only have 27MB of memory.

#74 ZayD.King

ZayD.King

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, luigi and megaman, metroid ect..

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

Honestly the system isnt underpowered, I believe that companies like EA dont want to put the time and effort into making games for the WiiU and as Ive seen over the years with games coming out over and over. Its been quantity  over quality with some companies, Nintendo's quality is high though they lack in quantity right now!

you will never see mario glitched out or stuck inside a Koopa. I like to think Nintendo doesnt want any craptastic ports that are poor in quality and require alot of updates for problems. they demand finished and polished games which if they do I commend them for sticking to what they do best. remember the time when developers actually finished games and only needed to polish off a few details. Now its like they don't even care, you pick up a game thats barely playable or glitches,lags whatever the case may be. I think all the next gen consoles our in the same boat being they aren't really next gen! for me next gen is more powerful then a  gaming pc which all of these aren't! the standard for visuals is 1080p but really who cares they say the wiiU can run 1080p the x1 and ps4 will run 1080p so whats so different from last gen except multi tasking? I have a pc if i wanted to look something up or skype I would if i wanted to chat with others Ide use my phone! I bought a game system for just that gaming if it has netflix or hulu thats icing on the cake. but so far it just seems that devs are getting lazy and dont want to put time and effort into there jobs instead they want all consoles to conform to make there jobs easier. The wii U makes you work harder so you don't want to dev for it, i dont want anyone near my system if they DONT want to put there heart and soul into it. Ive had quantity alot over these years OMG the most disappointment Ive ever faced. 

Please don't hold back cause I wont, I promise you!!

#75 Wolf

Wolf

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Fandom:
    Lego games, all of them.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

Nintendo already had the most powerfull console once (N64) and one of the second most powerfull console too (GC). Did it help Nintendo? No.
The market always said that it doesn`t  care about graphics or processing power.

People have always criticized Nintendo: too kiddie; underpowered, etc. It`s always something.
3rd parties like EA have since a lot of time a go, unsupported Nintendo consoles. Nothing new. It`s about the userbase: if they buy all kinds of games, companies will support them.

This comment is true, Nintendo haven't really led the most powerful machine awards since the SNES. Aft that they always concentrated on solid titles to hold their machines together.

The Wii U is fine. Just lacking in software support. That'll come though as more units are sold. And why did we all buy the Wii U in the first place, to play FIFA? I think not. To play Mario and other Nintendo franchised games. Yes indeed.

#76 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

This comment is true, Nintendo haven't really led the most powerful machine awards since the SNES. Aft that they always concentrated on solid titles to hold their machines together.

The Wii U is fine. Just lacking in software support. That'll come though as more units are sold. And why did we all buy the Wii U in the first place, to play FIFA? I think not. To play Mario and other Nintendo franchised games. Yes indeed.

I bought the Wii U so I can have EA's games. Said no one EVER. Lol

#77 Smertrius

Smertrius

Thwomp

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • NNID:smertrius
  • Fandom:
    nintendo videogames,

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

Why didnt Nintendo just make wii u more powerful so we can play bluray discs on the wii u

#78 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

The Wii U is already capable of playing bluray disks. But Nintendo wants it to be a GAMING system and never licensed bluray.
If you want a system where gaming is an afterthought, get an Xbox One.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#79 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

Why didnt Nintendo just make wii u more powerful so we can play bluray discs on the wii u

Nothing to do with power. Has to do with money.

#80 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

^ This. Also, the Wii U discs have a much larger capacity than XBox 360 discs. Rougly 2.5x and if they ever become dual-layer, roughly 5x.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!