Photo

Why didnt Nintendo just make wii u more powerful?

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#81 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:56 AM

^ This. Also, the Wii U discs have a much larger capacity than XBox 360 discs. Rougly 2.5x and if they ever become dual-layer, roughly 5x.

Exactly. I think it has 25GB right?
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#82 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:59 AM

Yep. And if they ever become dual-layer like some Wii games eventually did, it will be like twice that.

#83 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:37 AM

djlewe78, on 18 May 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:i dont care, they must of had a clue at what sony and microsoft were making, and they no to make things easier for developers to produce big cross platform games to make a console on a par with whats coming out, and ive stated this a million times THEY PROMISED THEY WOULD WIN BACK GAMERS BY WORKING WITH DEVELOPERS TO GET BIG TITLES RELEASED ON NINTENDOS NEW PLATFORM!
I spent £350 as i trusted nintendo on there statements, i have been loyal for over 15 years and i feel that they have lied to us.
They are not stupid ! They new what the next gen consoles would need power wise to make developers want to make big cross platform games , and they stuck 2 fingers up at them and i hate to say it, us!
If the next gen sony or microsoft costs the same as what i paid for my wii u, i will not buy another nintendo product until the guys running nintendo have gone.
That hurt me to say it but its how i feel.

You:OMG NO OP GRAPHICS THE WII U MUST BE DOOMED!

Signature_DK.png

#84 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

i dont care, they must of had a clue at what sony and microsoft were making, and they no to make things easier for developers to produce big cross platform games to make a console on a par with whats coming out, and ive stated this a million times THEY PROMISED THEY WOULD WIN BACK GAMERS BY WORKING WITH DEVELOPERS TO GET BIG TITLES RELEASED ON NINTENDOS NEW PLATFORM!
I spent £350 as i trusted nintendo on there statements, i have been loyal for over 15 years and i feel that they have lied to us.
They are not stupid ! They new what the next gen consoles would need power wise to make developers want to make big cross platform games , and they stuck 2 fingers up at them and i hate to say it, us!
If the next gen sony or microsoft costs the same as what i paid for my wii u, i will not buy another nintendo product until the guys running nintendo have gone.
That hurt me to say it but its how i feel.

They did listen to developers.

http://nintendoevery...ill-be-awesome/

And no, Nintendo couldn't have known what Sony and MS as there are separate teams. I don't think it was known the others were switching to x86 until 2012.

#85 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

The point is that if nintendo comunicated and listened to the developers making the games they wanted to see on wii u we wouldnt be in this mess. If anybody says but need for speed as pc textures again ill scream! i play it on ps3 as well as wii u and there is bearly any difference at all. They claim the controler is the next gen part but i have a tablet, thats not next gen! Has any body seen microsoft illumiroom? look it up on youtube, thats inovation. I feel like i may come accross as troll but im not, i run a business of my own and businesses should keep evolving or risk being left behind.
If it was possible id like nintendo offer full refunds to its customers, take back the consoles, salvage any parts, sell them or reuse them and start again. I cant understand why console makers cant make there machines upgradable like pcs, that way insuring customers have the choice to make machines as powerful as they want them.

OMG WHERES THE GRAPHICS THE WII U IS DOOMED PS4 IS OP PANIC!!!....Your kidding right?

Signature_DK.png

#86 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

OMG WHERES THE GRAPHICS THE WII U IS DOOMED PS4 IS OP PANIC!!!....Your kidding right?

You seriously make yourself look less intelligent when you type like this. 

You have to wonder though if developers will use up all that space. Wii discs had the space of 8GB, but I believe developers only used 3 or 4GB. I'm not too sure, but I'm sure most developers didn't use all the space on a disc for 360/PS3 games as well, only some did. 

Edited by Rod Serling, 04 June 2013 - 10:53 AM.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#87 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

I think only the games that have an endless tide of gameplay-interrupting cutscenes would use the entire disk.

Edited by grahamf, 04 June 2013 - 11:02 AM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#88 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

You have to wonder though if developers will use up all that space. Wii discs had the space of 8GB, but I believe developers only used 3 or 4GB. I'm not too sure, but I'm sure most developers didn't use all the space on a disc for 360/PS3 games as well, only some did.

Early Wii games used the single-layer which was 4.7 GB. But later games such as Smash Bros. Wii, The Last Story and Metroid Other M used dual-layer, which probably means they had about 5-9GB content.

Some games could use a whole dual-layer Blu-Ray disc for 50GB. The first Final Fantasy XIII which took at least three 360 discs for the cut-down version (can't remember how many) used about 50GB on the PS3. Then I believe a Metal Gear Solid game used about 50GB on the PS3, could be wrong though. Also I believe the Uncharted games used a lot.

tl:dr The Wii U right now has small games, but it can use the space of 25-50GB. It would hardly be a next-generation console without this much capacity.

Edited by Amnesia, 04 June 2013 - 11:06 AM.

#89 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

With Sony trying to push developers to use the dull capacity of their blu ray discs, it's possible.

#90 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

With Sony trying to push developers to use the dull capacity of their blu ray discs, it's possible.

accually the  blueray player in the PS3 was so slow, devs generally had to write some files to the system disk or duplicate often read files multiple times on the blueray.

#91 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

I think only the games that have an endless tide of gameplay-interrupting cutscenes would use the entire disk.

Or games that have so much content that they have to squeeze as much space as possible. Smash Bros 4 will be that game to push the capacity to its fullest.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#92 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

Or games that have so much content that they have to squeeze as much space as possible. Smash Bros 4 will be that game to push the capacity to its fullest.

Cutscenes aren't the only thing that takes storage. ESP since most cutscenes are engine driven.

Add much more to the soundtrack, voice acting, and true hd textures that don't have to be compressed as much. the texture art can take a lot of space quickly if there is a good variety of it.

Then, if you're going to have cutscenes, make them a treat. Cgi. It's ok if it looks better than the game. It's a visual treat.

Animation moves in 3d don't take tons of memory at all. Ai really doesn't either.

But the textures, the sound, the movies, etc. add up. ESP. If you are making them all high fidelity assets. Which I hope is the trend this gen.

#93 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

But the textures, the sound, the movies, etc. add up. ESP. If you are making them all high fidelity assets. Which I hope is the trend this gen.

Same.

Not to mention, next-gen games will probably have more characters and with lots of characters and stages, the MBs/GBs probably add up as well

#94 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

accually the blueray player in the PS3 was so slow, devs generally had to write some files to the system disk or duplicate often read files multiple times on the blueray.

I'm talking about the soon to be released, PS4.

#95 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

There's rumours that Microsoft are having trouble with the Xbone related to ESRAM and the console may end up being downclocked compared the announced specification. It's possible that instead of 1200 gflops of performance out of the gpu it could be as low as 900 gflops. Factor in all the other crap details of the xbone and you end up with a platform closer to wii u than ps4 in performance. It goes from bad to worse with Xbone. The thing is though this compromise in performance is not based on sound engineering that reduces the cost price but because of an over-complicated design and bloated operating systems. Don't get me wrong it will still be more powerful than current gen and wii u but it won't even reach half way between existing consoles and ps4.

At this stage things can still change dramatically but there does seem to be some big issues with the xbone with regard both its performance and cost implications of owning one.

#96 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

There's rumours that Microsoft are having trouble with the Xbone related to ESRAM and the console may end up being downclocked compared the announced specification. It's possible that instead of 1200 gflops of performance out of the gpu it could be as low as 900 gflops. Factor in all the other crap details of the xbone and you end up with a platform closer to wii u than ps4 in performance. It goes from bad to worse with Xbone. The thing is though this compromise in performance is not based on sound engineering that reduces the cost price but because of an over-complicated design and bloated operating systems. Don't get me wrong it will still be more powerful than current gen and wii u but it won't even reach half way between existing consoles and ps4.

At this stage things can still change dramatically but there does seem to be some big issues with the xbone with regard both its performance and cost implications of owning one.

But we can still watch price is right and skype right?  :)

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#97 Wolf

Wolf

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Fandom:
    Lego games, all of them.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

After all said and done, we have what we have. Nintendo obviously intended the Wii U to be as powerful as it is. I just can't shake that feeling that the Wii U should have been the console they should have released in 2006 :-(

#98 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

Ever heard of something called sarcasm? I find it funny that a guy claiming to be a master at it doesn't even get the basic concept of it.

Signature_DK.png

#99 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

After all said and done, we have what we have. Nintendo obviously intended the Wii U to be as powerful as it is. I just can't shake that feeling that the Wii U should have been the console they should have released in 2006 :-(

I was disappointed with the wii u spec but you have to factor in the wii u is still an absolutely massive upgrade on the original wii. The wii's gpu was capable of 12gflops but the wii u is believed to be about 352 gflops. That's about 30x as powerful. The cpu is still in the region of 6x as powerful and there is a huge increase in memory capacity and disc size. Also Nintendo games are much more likely to be cartoon based using repeated textures and not attempting to simulate the real world. The gamepad is an absolutely brilliant innovation that will take gaming into new areas. Near field communication in the gamepad offers some unique possibilities with regard merchandising and adding characters via toys etc. It's a brilliant console in so many ways but what is isn't is powerful but I would say its powerful enough and its clear great games are coming that will max it out. There is a magic to Nintendo games that you rarely find on other consoles. I feel this generation all I will need is a wii u and ps4.

#100 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

They should've launched it instead of the NES. Doesn't mean it was possible at a reasonable price point at the time, though.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!