Photo

Why didnt Nintendo just make wii u more powerful?

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#101 Wolf

Wolf

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Fandom:
    Lego games, all of them.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Maybe we are just awaiting to see its true potential. I love my Wii U, its a great machine with the gamepad being the best controller I've used ever. Just a shame its not quite next gen.

#102 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

Maybe we are just awaiting to see its true potential. I love my Wii U, its a great machine with the gamepad being the best controller I've used ever. Just a shame its not quite next gen.

Graphics wise it may be slightly behind but coolness wise I love it.

Signature_DK.png

#103 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

There's rumours that Microsoft are having trouble with the Xbone related to ESRAM and the console may end up being downclocked compared the announced specification. It's possible that instead of 1200 gflops of performance out of the gpu it could be as low as 900 gflops. Factor in all the other crap details of the xbone and you end up with a platform closer to wii u than ps4 in performance. It goes from bad to worse with Xbone. The thing is though this compromise in performance is not based on sound engineering that reduces the cost price but because of an over-complicated design and bloated operating systems. Don't get me wrong it will still be more powerful than current gen and wii u but it won't even reach half way between existing consoles and ps4.

At this stage things can still change dramatically but there does seem to be some big issues with the xbone with regard both its performance and cost implications of owning one.

:/ isn't this what the others and I have been saying all along?
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#104 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

:/ isn't this what the others and I have been saying all along?

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#105 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

Lol

#106 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

I do believe I said it was pointless to compare the Wii U to a console that hasn't shipped yet, let alone one where virtually no one knows what it looks like.

it's like back in 1999 saying that Duke Nukem Forever was going to knock the socks off of half-life.

And in 2004 saying that Duke Nukem Forever will knock the socks off of Half-life 2.

Not saying that the XBone and PS4 will go the way of DNF, just that we can't honestly say how they will compare to the Wii U until they actually SHIP.

Edited by grahamf, 05 June 2013 - 08:37 PM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#107 Smertrius

Smertrius

Thwomp

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • NNID:smertrius
  • Fandom:
    nintendo videogames,

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:21 AM

The Wii U is already capable of playing bluray disks. But Nintendo wants it to be a GAMING system and never licensed bluray.
If you want a system where gaming is an afterthought, get an Xbox One.

im not getting a xbox one when i ve a bluray player to play which cost me around €70, plus i dont have €700 to spend on xbox one because going cost you to buy €700 xbox one when its comes out

#108 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

Ok, now ive seen the other 2 consoles and the games coming out, and ive seen the nintendo selection first and third party, it seems this gen will be won by exclusive i.p's. Im impressed with how bayonetta 2 looks, (although it did kinda look like a lot of on the rails action, which im hoping isnt the case) so im glad to see the wii u has got some power, i just hope theres no crazy framerate drop in some of the more graphically impressive titles. The new mario, and smash bros did not wow me half as much as galaxy and smash did on the wii, but im sure will sell units which is what its all about now. Mario kart looks fun and will be a day one buy for me. Im still upset that that the PS4 is the same price as the WII U was at launch and is technically a lot more future proof and developer friendly, Nintendo did promise us a console that would win over xbox n ps gamers, this is clearly not the case and if i want to play battlefield or gtv then im gonna have to get xbox one which sucks. Im happier but Nintendo still messed up when it came to power, just a little more and we could have had it all, sigh.

#109 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

the WiiU simply doesn't have enough RAM, developers & programmers have always wanted more RAM, the WiiU has (2GB) but 1GB for them to use on games & it simply isn't enough, even if the Xbone & PS4 use half their RAM for system operations they still have 4GB to use for games, to stand any chance the WiiU needed 6GB thats 2GB for the system & 4GB for games, the WiiU would then of been probably able to run the new game engines at least.

#110 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

the WiiU simply doesn't have enough RAM, developers & programmers have always wanted more RAM, the WiiU has (2GB) but 1GB for them to use on games & it simply isn't enough, even if the Xbone & PS4 use half their RAM for system operations they still have 4GB to use for games, to stand any chance the WiiU needed 6GB thats 2GB for the system & 4GB for games, the WiiU would then of been probably able to run the new game engines at least.

You absolutely kill me. The Wii U doesn't have enough ram m.. For what? Games like Bayonetta 2? Games like X? Like Mario Kart? LOOK AT THE GAME, HOW YOU CAN SEE SO FAR BACK. That takes ram. Wind Waker HD is able to go faster on the ocean because the background can load quicker.

Honestly, look at Crimson Dragon. Xbox One exclusive. Graphics aren't impressive. Yea, graphics will get better a year after launch. But clearly the Wii U is capable of what people consider next Gen. X alone proved that.

#111 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:42 AM

The Gamecube & Nintendo 64 were more powerful than what Sony put out and didn't do too well; Wii was much weaker than the Playstation 3 and sold like... something that sells extremely well. Nintendo sees that their more powerful hardware doesn't sell as well as their cheap ones.

The Xbox 360 sold more than the Wii, so your argument is invalid.

#112 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:48 AM

77 million for 360 as opposed to 99 million for the Wii?

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#113 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:42 AM

They knew hardcore gamers wouldn't even give it a look as third parties won't support it. So they figured going after a casual audience and having it as their second console for more hardcore gamers would be a better strategy is what I think.

2lvmghw.png

#114 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

Um, did you actually do some research before making that statement?

#115 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

The Wii has sold more worldwide, but hasn't the 360 outsold the Wii in the UK? or is it just close?

Bring the noise.

#116 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

The Wii has sold more worldwide, but hasn't the 360 outsold the Wii in the UK? or is it just close?

Well, Xbox 360 has sold 8 million units in the UK. (as of Feb 2013). Wii has sold 39 million in "other". Which isn't just UK I assume. So, until I can find numbers for the Wii, I don't know.

#117 Fami.Kim

Fami.Kim

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • NNID:MrOrange01
  • Fandom:
    AC, JJBA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Sorta off topic: IMO, this thread is just another flamebait thread, but that's just me.

On topic: I own Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii U, and I can say that I'm more impressed with the Wii U more than the other two.

EDIT: But do graphics really matter?

Edited by Fami.Kim, 12 June 2013 - 09:23 AM.

comic sans lol

#118 CrimsonDivine

CrimsonDivine

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Fandom:
    Tera

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

I believe that as time passes, devs will tap in to the full power of the Wii U. It's a new console which means only a portion of its actual raw power has been used. Currently, it may seem a bit less powerful than XBone and PS4, but we'll see who the real powerhouse is in a few years. That's why I am glad to wait for some of the newly announced games to come out; more time = more satisfaction.

kisame.png

#119 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

77 million for 360 as opposed to 99 million for the Wii?

My bad... I had read the numbers and switched them in my mind. Sorry -.-'

#120 Rossyboi22

Rossyboi22

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wario, Tour Guide BARBIE :3! And Mario

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

The Wii U is powerful enough for it to be "next-gen".  The problem, however is the fact that devs aren't utlilizing the power of its architecture which can cause performance a bit iffy.  See the SSB trailer for the next Smash?  It looks amazing.  Even though cinematics were a part of it there's no doubt the Wii U can come close to it when it comes to graphics power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!