Photo

How will you feel if the PS4 and NEXTBOX launch price is similar to the WII U?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

I may or may not get PS4 at launch. Depending on the launch lineup. But I will end up buying it. I might be tempted to buy it on day one more if it has a price comparable to Wii U.  Xbox One has none of my interest. Only if they made Banjo Threeie, or something that's not a shooter as an exclusive. 

#22 TheDoritoKing

TheDoritoKing

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • NNID:Sir-Homsar

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

MicroSony's machines couldn't be less than four-hundred-and-fifty dollars, as any lower would require a ludicrous attachment rate that most gamers won't reach for about a year (if they're as powerful as they say). I'm pretty sure Nintendo can drop the Wii U deluxe down to three-hundred dollars because parents don't care what system their kids get, but they'll see a big difference in price. 

#23 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

If the PS4 is priced similarly to Wii U it just means easy buy.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#24 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

Anything under $450 will make me take more than one look at the PS4. XBox One, in my biased opinion, needs to be about $350.

#25 Rapth

Rapth

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • NNID:BlueBerryShadow

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

I doubt PS4, or Xbox One will be less than $500. The reason I say this is. Typically console, or portable hardware is more than desktop hardware. To buy a desktop computer with equal specs to my tablet would be less than $250, though my tablet was $450. A desktop equivelent to PS4 would be more than $500. Meaning the pricecwill be upwards of $500. Now in 2006 Sony released a system wuth a high price tag, and ate rainbow for it, and is unlikely to do it again. At the sametime, I doubt they are willing to take another loss on each console sold. It could happen, but realisticly, its doubtful.

~I am but a Shadow Of Corruption.~

elfen_lied_signature_by_kev3136-d3e0ybo.

#26 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

^wrong

#27 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

All I can say is that I highly doubt the PS4 and XBone will launch at the same price point as the WiiU. But if they do, I expect Nintendo to drop the price to $250 or lower.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#28 Rapth

Rapth

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • NNID:BlueBerryShadow

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

^wrong

We shall see here in a few weeks friend.

~I am but a Shadow Of Corruption.~

elfen_lied_signature_by_kev3136-d3e0ybo.

#29 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

I doubt PS4, or Xbox One will be less than $500. The reason I say this is. Typically console, or portable hardware is more than desktop hardware. To buy a desktop computer with equal specs to my tablet would be less than $250, though my tablet was $450. A desktop equivelent to PS4 would be more than $500. Meaning the pricecwill be upwards of $500. Now in 2006 Sony released a system wuth a high price tag, and ate carp for it, and is unlikely to do it again. At the sametime, I doubt they are willing to take another loss on each console sold. It could happen, but realisticly, its doubtful.

I don't know about that. The CPU/GPU, being AMD, shouldn't coat more than 89 dollars for Sony to buy, per console. AMD currently is selling, retail, their AMD A10 for 125 at some online retailers. And that's detial. My AMD A8 APU was 89.95, retail.

And AMD is probably giving a very good price for these in exchange for a butt load of sales. Because the PS4 will sell well.

I have no idea how much that RAM costs, but 16GB of DDR3 RAM costs, detial, around $100. I bought mine for 109 if I remember.

Remember, these are retail pricing. The retailer is making money off this price, and so is AMD. In regards to pricing for the PS4, only AMD os making money off it. Sony is going to be making money, eventually, off the entire console and third party games being sold (I'm pretty sure they charge a fee of some sort). So pricing will be cheaper than what we can buy it.

Sony has made it clear that they want the console to be sold less than the PS3. In fact, if its not, it won't sell well. But I am expecting 400 - 450 price range.

Also, you can't buy tablet hardware. And usually what makes it more expensive is the screen. I can tell you, if you want a good screen for your desktop, your not spending 250 for the entire deal. (retail).

Edited by MorbidGod, 31 May 2013 - 11:58 AM.

Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#30 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

then id buy a ps4.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#31 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

I don't know about that. The CPU/GPU, being AMD, shouldn't coat more than 89 dollars for Sony to buy, per console. AMD currently is selling, retail, their AMD A10 for 125 at some online retailers. And that's detial. My AMD A8 APU was 89.95, retail.

And AMD is probably giving a very good price for these in exchange for a butt load of sales. Because the PS4 will sell well.

I have no idea how much that RAM costs, but 16GB of DDR3 RAM costs, detial, around $100. I bought mine for 109 if I remember.

Remember, these are retail pricing. The retailer is making money off this price, and so is AMD. In regards to pricing for the PS4, only AMD os making money off it. Sony is going to be making money, eventually, off the entire console and third party games being sold (I'm pretty sure they charge a fee of some sort). So pricing will be cheaper than what we can buy it.

Sony has made it clear that they want the console to be sold less than the PS3. In fact, if its not, it won't sell well. But I am expecting 400 - 450 price range.

Also, you can't buy tablet hardware. And usually what makes it more expensive is the screen. I can tell you, if you want a good screen for your desktop, your not spending 250 for the entire deal. (retail).

Then let's calculate it:

Top-of-the-line AMD APU: $130

8GB of RAM: $48

500GB Hard drive: $69

Bluray drive: $50

Motherboard: $50

And let's assume $20 for the power supply

Controller: $50

That gives a cost of $417, not including case and packaging.

Assuming that it only costs 75% of that to build from scratch, that's still $300 without factoring in R&D and advertising.

Of course that is fuzzy numbers, anyone else with more experience feel free to do a better job.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#32 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

Then let's calculate it:
Top-of-the-line AMD APU: $130
8GB of RAM: $48
500GB Hard drive: $69
Bluray drive: $50
Motherboard: $50
And let's assume $20 for the power supply
Controller: $50

That gives a cost of $417, not including case and packaging.
Assuming that it only costs 75% of that to build from scratch, that's still $300 without factoring in R&D and advertising.

Of course that is fuzzy numbers, anyone else with more experience feel free to do a better job.

But that's retail. Sony is not spending 59 on a HD. And we don't know how much space will be in it, they might go with less space and have being a flash memory. Or, if they want to spend more, a solid state HD. If it's a solid state HD, then they might spend 60 for one.

But even if they are paying retail - that's under 450. And it's not even being sold at a loss at that point. But, trust me when I say, the PS4 will be sold under 500. Even of Sony has to take a loss.

http://gadgetinsider...launch/1209152/

Here is the latest source, which confirms that Sony has learned from it's mistakes with the PS3 launch, and the price was one of those mistakes.

#33 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

It might be only a $50 difference. The PS4 will have more powerful components and more internal memory, but the Wii U has the gamepad.

I'm going to put my final word on $400 ± $50. I'm not going to try to get a more precise range.

#34 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

It might be only a $50 difference. The PS4 will have more powerful components and more internal memory, but the Wii U has the gamepad.

I'm going to put my final word on $400 ± $50. I'm not going to try to get a more precise range.

Which, is my original range. 400 - 450. So I agree with you ^_^.

#35 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

I'd say how on earth do people think these consoles will blow wii u out of the water when they are the same price? slightly better? sure, but seriously...

This.

Really, Nintendo is widely hated. That doesn't mean they're snitty.

Edited by Alianjaro, 31 May 2013 - 06:17 PM.

Posted Image

#36 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

But that's retail. Sony is not spending 59 on a HD. And we don't know how much space will be in it, they might go with less space and have being a flash memory. Or, if they want to spend more, a solid state HD. If it's a solid state HD, then they might spend 60 for one.

But even if they are paying retail - that's under 450. And it's not even being sold at a loss at that point. But, trust me when I say, the PS4 will be sold under 500. Even of Sony has to take a loss.

http://gadgetinsider...launch/1209152/

Here is the latest source, which confirms that Sony has learned from it's mistakes with the PS3 launch, and the price was one of those mistakes.

agreed, no way Sony is dumb enough this time to try that. the PS3 launch and the pspgo are proof of that. It seems like they've realized selling at a loss and selling very well is better than not selling anything. Software will catch up if 7 million people have your console in their home.

#37 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

agreed, no way Sony is dumb enough this time to try that. the PS3 launch and the pspgo are proof of that. It seems like they've realized selling at a loss and selling very well is better than not selling anything. Software will catch up if 7 million people have your console in their home.

Exactly

#38 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

I would get the PS4 in that case. Even if the used game DRM rumors are true I may still get one. I just wouldn't be playing very much games.

Signature_DK.png

#39 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

blu-ray drives are dirt cheap now. Whole blu-ray players are coming out of chinese factories for $30. PS4 doesn't need a particularly powerful psu or large case. The cost of the amd apu per unit is probably in the region of $30-40 per unit for sony. You have to remember that £400 in the UK will buy you a lot of PC components, many well above ps4 spec and thats at retail pricing. I think pricing n the range of £279-349 is likely. I'm going for £329 but it wouldn't be that amazing if it was £279 or £299.

You have to factor in Nintendo likes to operate on a far higher profit margin. When the wii was launched it was basically a 50% faster gamecube with 64MB of additional ddr memory bolted on with a fancy slot loading drive and new controller. It was even stated the slot loading drive cost more than the pcb of the console but Nintendo sold it at £180 in the Uk even though the Gamecube launched at £130 five years before it. The cost of manufacture was ridiculously low. The wii u was designed to create a very low cost console that still offered competitive performance and sell with a similar profit margin at £250/300. It never really merited its launch price. It had no hard drive and the screen on the gamepad is a dirt cheap resistance screen that would  cost just a few dollars.

While I disagree with many here about wii u performance I think there is general consensus that the leap from ps3/360 to ps4/xbox one is a much smaller one than the previous generational leap for the same companies. No reason for these consoles to be much more expensive than the wii u launch prices and may even match them. Also if they are much more expensive they represent questionable value. We may actually be better off going the PC route for our gaming fix.

#40 coolsarahkry

coolsarahkry

Blooper

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Avatar:TLA, Glee

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:29 AM

No...? I still wouldn't buy it, with all that "always online" nonsense and microsoft having to install/download a game just to play it. Also, I hate team sports...

But then again, I've played nintendo all my life. To me nintendo is the perfect gaming company.

In fact, it's my birthday and I'm hoping to open up a 3ds XL today :)

Posted Imageby cerberuz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!