160 replies to this topic

#1 The Ferryman

The Ferryman

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

POPULAR

Sorry if the pictures are too small but i had to reduce the size to minimize artifacts.

Knack vs Wonderful 101

1920x1s.jpg

tw10103.jpg

1920x12.jpg

wiiuw101scrn16wp.jpg1920x13.jpg

2321122wiiuw101scrn17wp.jpg

knackcomparison.jpg

wonderful101comp2.jpg

thewonderful10120120913.jpg

Not seeing that huge of a leap. What do you guys think?

Also notice the last two wonderful 101 pics, the last one was from September, notice the improvements.

#2 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

W101 looks like something new and creative. "Knack" looks very generic and ugly.

Edited by RogueStatus28, 25 May 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#3 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

Wonderful 101 actually looks better.

Signature_Fox.png

#4 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

W101 looks like something new and creative. "Knack" looks very generic and ugly.

Knack doesn't look generic, nor ugly. In fact, it's the mere opposite of generic, it was the first game shown for the PS4, and it's a curiously a more "childish" game.

#5 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

I would say 101 looks better but that wouldn't be the point. It's about how the games look 2 to 3 years from now. I feel and the specs can confirm that the PS4/x1 are more powerful but the graphics wont be as different as ps3 to wii. You will notice how more characters are in a ps4 or how the physics are better or better textures, lighting, etc. Its about the details. Its like viewing a PS3 now to a modern computer the games dont look like that big of a difference but you will notice once all the tiny stuff sets in.

#6 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

Knack is just a kids game for Playstation, why does it need more graphical power?  I really dislike Sony's children games, nobody does it better than Japan. They don't have annoying dialog just to be funny.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#7 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

Wonderful 101 definitely has a lot more character than knack does. Knack definitely looks better graphically but the margin isn't very big. The way these games play also has influenced the art style, since you don't really get up to close and personal into some of the models in wonderful 101 it would seem a waste to make it look extremely detailed, IMO i think it would look worse if they put to much detail in cause it would start to feel a little generic.

Posted Image

This is where it ends

#8 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:27 AM

I see a pretty huge leap from the last two wonderful 101 pictures, but I also noticed that the hair on the blue guy in the last picture is noticeably more pixelated.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#9 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:31 AM

It's easily not under powered. It runs the games it can just fine. But if you want to go in depth with this, you have to check and see if it runs Wreck it Ralph in real time.

#10 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:32 AM

On the last two pictures, are you sure it's not just that the first of the two is from a CGI trailer, and the second is in-game? as the camera doesn't really need to get close to the characters, the models do not need to be incredibly detailed. Knack looks good and oddly ugly at the same time, as in most of the screentshots look good, but one looks ugly.

Here's the key difference: Wonderful 101 is absolutely brimming with character, Knack is not. As for graphics, Knack probably looks more impressive, but Wonderful 101 looks nicer and has a much more fun and preferable art style.

Bring the noise.

#11 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:01 AM

There is barely a difference in graphics quality?
No sig.

#12 Lebon14

Lebon14

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Fandom:
    Golden Sun and Touhou universe

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:24 AM

POPULAR

The WiiU isn't as underpowered as the haters might make it seem. Is it underpowered? Yes. But FAR from as much as the Wii was to the PS360 combo. I think that those screens shows it. W101 is not a launch game but isn't a game that is far into the console's life either and Knack, whatever that game is, doesn't even look graphically better, is it? I see them both on par.

Edited by Lebon14, 26 May 2013 - 05:18 AM.

WiiU NNID : Lebon14, Friend invites will be ignored. I must know you first.
Rocketman, your rocketman
Fly with me, to the moon, to the stars my heart
Rocketman, your rocketman
Take you higher
♫ - "Rocketman" by Mega NRG Man (Super Eurobeat 217)

#13 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:28 AM

This video is quite interesting showing the difference between the different generations of playstation console. The racing game looks the biggest improvement on ps4. As with all games not all games push the hardware. The PS4 clearly is making a technical leap but its not the same size leap as ps2 to ps3 or ps1 to ps2 and this is to be expected as the ps4 hardware has been realistically choosen to meet a price point.

This is a great page for comparing the spec's of wii u, ps4 and xbox one. The poster keeps it upto date and seems the best reference point currently unless you want to trawl through all the neogaf postings etc.

http://gamrconnect.v...d.php?id=136756

CPU wise the xbox one and ps4 are at about 38,400 dmips for their cpu which compares to about 9,000 dmips or just under for wii u. The xenon is about 19,200 dmips and ps3 in theory is about the same as wii u for ppe but upto about 30,000 for the cell in total. Floating point performance of the xenon and cell is far in excess of the wii u cpu but the wii u gpu makes up for it. The PS4 and xbox one offload a lot of work to their gpu's same as wii u.

End summary is 360, PS3 and wii u are comparable in performance approximately. Xbox one is probably 3-4x as powerful as those, ps4 is about 1.5x xbox one overall.

Edited by Desert Punk, 26 May 2013 - 03:10 AM.

#14 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

It is pretty underpowered compared to the PS4 but it doesn't really matter, as long as you like the games on there.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#15 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:59 AM

Some here are saying that the Wii U is just slightly underpowered. This might be true, depending on what you compare it to.

My opinion on the matter is that it isn't underpowered, per se, but I do believe the PS4 and Xbox One are at least slightly better (in terms of power). Not by too much, but a little more powerful.

So my point is, the Wii U isn't underpowered in and of itself, as an eighth-gen console.

Let's wait and see. So far, there have been some great looking Wii U games. If we see a Wii to Xbox 360 and PS3 difference in graphics, then I will believe that the Wii U is underpowered. [/rant]

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#16 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

The WiiU is in a very similar situation as the dreamcast and by that I mean its a transitional system. Its more powerful than a PS3 but weaker than PS4.

Also I feel that video demonstrates exactly what I was saying about graphics, just look at GTA5 trailers and Watch_Dogs and WD looks better but it does not put GTA to shame. It looks better simply because of the small things and thats gonna be the case with WiiU 2 to 3 years from now since its a weaker system.

#17 Half

Half

Blooper

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • NNID:HalfName
  • Fandom:
    Curse all fanboys/girls.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

I would make an observation if the pictures weren't so tiny.

FmEkJ2.gif

#18 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

Some here are saying that the Wii U is just slightly underpowered. This might be true, depending on what you compare it to.

My opinion on the matter is that it isn't underpowered, per se, but I do believe the PS4 and Xbox One are at least slightly better (in terms of power). Not by too much, but a little more powerful.

So my point is, the Wii U isn't underpowered in and of itself, as an eighth-gen console.

Let's wait and see. So far, there have been some great looking Wii U games. If we see a Wii to Xbox 360 and PS3 difference in graphics, then I will believe that the Wii U is underpowered. [/rant]

Exactly.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#19 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

I'm going to agree....

Who cares if you win a pissing contest on frame rates and teraflops as long as you like what you see and how it plays.....

It is pretty underpowered compared to the PS4 but it doesn't really matter, as long as you like the games on there.

#20 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

let's be honest. People WANT to like what they already like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!