• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 MiiVirus

MiiVirus

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

Its pretty easy to that that Wii U is more powerful and if used to its fullest should blow ps3 and 360 out of the water. With that said why is it getting such bad Frame rate drop in so many games? When compared to the 360 an ps3 in many games they are getting better frame rates then the Wii. Why is this? is it just bad porting? I was told that Assassins creed 3 was able to run 60fps but after seeing fame test it runs at 30fps and drops well below this at times. Not bashing the Wii U at all in fact i love it, i also have a 360 but its not collecting dust since i bought the Wii U. And now my friends are thinking about getting one. But still i just was hoping someone could shed some light on this.

Thanks ;)

#2 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

It's just ;azy developers not porting games correctly.

Signature_Fox.png

#3 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

The Wii U is a new architecture. The current ports appear to put the games on the Wii U with few optimizations. So you end up with slow games.

However, the Wii U should be more powerful if games are designed for it. One drastic change is a much-needed memory increase over the PS3 and 360.

Even so, the ports to the Wii U perform only slightly worse, we're talking a 3-6% difference.

#4 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

Its lacking 7 gigs of ram.

Funny cause the frame rate for Mass Effect 3 is better on Wii U than Ps3.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#5 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

Its pretty easy to that that Wii U is more powerful and if used to its fullest should blow ps3 and 360 out of the water. With that said why is it getting such bad Frame rate drop in so many games? When compared to the 360 an ps3 in many games they are getting better frame rates then the Wii. Why is this? is it just bad porting? I was told that Assassins creed 3 was able to run 60fps but after seeing fame test it runs at 30fps and drops well below this at times. Not bashing the Wii U at all in fact i love it, i also have a 360 but its not collecting dust since i bought the Wii U. And now my friends are thinking about getting one. But still i just was hoping someone could shed some light on this.

Thanks ;)

First, nice try, troll.  Second, use the search feature or GTFO!

#6 MiiVirus

MiiVirus

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

I have been searching A$$, if you didn't like my question you don't have to post on it. Troll huh lol how old are you? 12 prob! everyone else thanks for your post. Its kinda what i figured just laziness. 

#7 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

The only explanation is developer laziness. It happens at every console launch, they port over a shameless port. FPS drops are noticeable in games such as Epic Mickey 2 (so bad that I sold it) and COD (story mode).  Developers are also quite unfamiliar with the new tech, so it'll time some time for them to adjust to the change. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#8 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

I have been searching A$$, if you didn't like my question you don't have to post on it. Troll huh lol how old are you? 12 prob! everyone else thanks for your post. Its kinda what i figured just laziness. 

4 posts and starts a thread asking why Wii U has framerate drops that are only noticeable with high speed cameras, no, not a troll at all.  If you honestly are not trolling, my apologies.  However, there are literally hundreds of "why wii u performance sucks" threads, and the issues with ports are discussed in pretty much every single hardware thread on the forum.

Also, check my profile or post history before you start trying to call me out on my age, son.  You know what they say about assumptions.

Oh, and

http://thewiiu.com/t...-lack-of-power/

http://thewiiu.com/t...wered-and-says/

http://thewiiu.com/t...because-of-ps4/

http://thewiiu.com/t...nintendos-doom/

http://thewiiu.com/t...-more-powerful/

You're welcome!

#9 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

4 posts and starts a thread asking why Wii U has framerate drops that are only noticeable with high speed cameras, no, not a troll at all. If you honestly are not trolling, my apologies. However, there are literally hundreds of "why wii u performance sucks" threads, and the issues with ports are discussed in pretty much every single hardware thread on the forum.

Also, check my profile or post history before you start trying to call me out on my age, son. You know what they say about assumptions.

Oh, and

You're welcome!

You need to slow your roll. He was just asking a question.

Edited by Cozmo, 29 May 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#10 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

You need to slow your roll. He was just asking a question.

Please, this forum is cluttered enough with useless threads asking the same questions over and over.  His question was actually answered in a thread on the front page of "new items" and several in the first page of the hardware thread.

Also, I answered the question, by posting several topics in which his very question is investigated in detail, and apologized for the misunderstanding.  I could have just deleted my previous post, but that would have been dishonest.

#11 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

I also just want to point out, since you said you couldn't find it.

Developers were originally given the final hardware Dev units late last year and were required to port a game with zero experience on a new platform (all of the chips are custom) and with literally no tools at the outset.

I wouldn't blame it so much on laziness, as I would Nintendo not being prepared to launch the system when they did.  The OS was buggy and slow, the tools were not there, the dev units had just been finalized.  Nintendo has to shoulder a bit of the blame as well.

Also, throughout the dev cycle, most games were only ever able to run on two cores, meaning that the third core of the CPU (which the game engines, being ports themselves from PS360, relied heavily on) was not in use.  Only a few games ever ended up making use of the third core by launch.

It wasn't Nintendo's brightest moment, but the good news is that they quickly made the proper fixes, and are still providing updates to boost system performance as well as iterating and refining their tools for developers and providing more hands on support to them.

#12 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

Please, this forum is cluttered enough with useless threads asking the same questions over and over.  His question was actually answered in a thread on the front page of "new items" and several in the first page of the hardware thread.

Also, I answered the question, by posting several topics in which his very question is investigated in detail, and apologized for the misunderstanding.  I could have just deleted my previous post, but that would have been dishonest.

I was going to mess with you a bit BC you were getting mad at something stupid but you ddnt get mad and defensive at my post lol

#13 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

I also just want to point out, since you said you couldn't find it.

Developers were originally given the final hardware Dev units late last year and were required to port a game with zero experience on a new platform (all of the chips are custom) and with literally no tools at the outset.

I wouldn't blame it so much on laziness, as I would Nintendo not being prepared to launch the system when they did.  The OS was buggy and slow, the tools were not there, the dev units had just been finalized.  Nintendo has to shoulder a bit of the blame as well.

Also, throughout the dev cycle, most games were only ever able to run on two cores, meaning that the third core of the CPU (which the game engines, being ports themselves from PS360, relied heavily on) was not in use.  Only a few games ever ended up making use of the third core by launch.

It wasn't Nintendo's brightest moment, but the good news is that they quickly made the proper fixes, and are still providing updates to boost system performance as well as iterating and refining their tools for developers and providing more hands on support to them.

Yep. And the thing that irks me is the fact some people blindly ignore that.

Signature_DK.png

#14 MiiVirus

MiiVirus

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

I wasn't trying to start a fight over such a simple question and wasn't trying to troll. I have been all over the internet trying to see why this would be and as someone said it is noticeable in some games. It hasn't bothered me as of yet and i have a array of games for the wii u so far. It was simply just a question. Its easier to go on to a nintendo forum then another forum where all you get is people bashing the wii u.

#15 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

I was going to mess with you a bit BC you were getting mad at something stupid but you ddnt get mad and defensive at my post lol

Well that's not very nice :P.  Also, I did get defensive, so I took a break, and cooled off.  I'm not beyond getting a little butthurt, lol.

I wasn't trying to start a fight over such a simple question and wasn't trying to troll. I have been all over the internet trying to see why this would be and as someone said it is noticeable in some games. It hasn't bothered me as of yet and i have a array of games for the wii u so far. It was simply just a question. Its easier to go on to a nintendo forum then another forum where all you get is people bashing the wii u.

No worries, my apologies for the assumption.

Edited by routerbad, 29 May 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#16 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

Basically code that is written for a different architecture translates poorly to a new, superior architecture.

It's not meant for wii u. Yet wii u handles business anyway. All launch window multiplat form games will be this way (even though they look better on wii u in terms of graphics in some of them).

You may want to look at need for speed most wanted non wii u to see a port done right. It also reproduces the graphics assets of the pc gamer which isn't possible on the 360 or ps3.

Also, you'll want to check out some games to be announced soon concerning what the console does when programmers write for it properly.

#17 ThePopiPenguin

ThePopiPenguin

Little Blue Penguin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • NNID:PowpiPenguin
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo and Valve

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:36 AM

4 posts and starts a thread asking why Wii U has framerate drops that are only noticeable with high speed cameras, no, not a troll at all.  If you honestly are not trolling, my apologies.  However, there are literally hundreds of "why wii u performance sucks" threads, and the issues with ports are discussed in pretty much every single hardware thread on the forum.

Also, check my profile or post history before you start trying to call me out on my age, son.  You know what they say about assumptions.

Oh, and

You're welcome!

Worst thing is, a lot of these posts were made by the same person, djlewe. Can't we just stop these doom and gloom threads with incorrect spelling, punctuation and all and just wait for what Nintendo has to offer? 

NintNetwork: PowpiPenguin | Steam: PopiPenguin| LoL Philippines: PCD.Fencing.Cat |Guild Wars 2: Argath Stormseeker

"And on the first day, GabeN, our lord and saviour said: There shall be games!"

#18 Tacomywaffles

Tacomywaffles

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

hmm I just thought of this.

The PS4 and Xbone both don't support BC because they couldn't handle the code written for the PS3 and Xbox360 hardware, not because they're weak but because the architecture is so different.

So my guess would be if devs were to port games from this gen to the next the Ps4 and 360 in a similar fashion they do for wii u they would suffer from hick ups as well? 

#19 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:16 AM

Worst thing is, a lot of these posts were made by the same person, djlewe. Can't we just stop these doom and gloom threads with incorrect spelling, punctuation and all and just wait for what Nintendo has to offer? 

Exactly. They are flogging a deceased horse until the point it's a bloody pulp.

Signature_DK.png

#20 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:53 AM

hmm I just thought of this.

The PS4 and Xbone both don't support BC because they couldn't handle the code written for the PS3 and Xbox360 hardware, not because they're weak but because the architecture is so different.

So my guess would be if devs were to port games from this gen to the next the Ps4 and 360 in a similar fashion they do for wii u they would suffer from hick ups as well? 

Seeing as the CPU both of the other consoles went with is not only much weaker than PPE (on a core per core basis and only with regards to SIMD) and that they moved from RISC to CISC it would take a lot more work than it does even on the Wii U, which at least has decent SIMD given the performance we do see in ports using only two cores at times.

That was where the assumption came from, dijewe was trolling the boards hard with these types of threads for nearly a month.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!