KingBoo

Walka

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • NNID:Kingofboos
  • Fandom:
    Mentos, bunnies, and anything Nintendo.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

hmm...fans getting upset.....better hurry up and release SSB nintendo, everyone will forgive you for everything you have done wrong.

bb0.gif

#22 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

What's odd is that with every handheld up to DSi (and only for digital titles), Nintendo never bothered with region lock. Not to mention that the NES and SNES weren't region locked; they just made the cartridges different, and an easy modification to a SNES can make it region free.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#23 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

Honestly why do people care? It's not like there are 100's of thousands of players wanting to play games in japanese language anyway, Also there's bearly any GOOD games that came out on other countries in the language you want. When has region locking ever been a problem? Seriously name 5 examples of GOOD games that were in the language you wanted and wasn't available in your country of a game you really wanted.

I was in the same mindset not a week ago.  Until two days ago I went into Gamestop to pay down my preorders, add more preorders, and pick up The Last Story.

I'll preface this with the fact that I live in a Military town (San Diego) and there are LOTS of people that move in between the west coast and Asia (namely Guam, Australia, and Japan).  Yes I know AUS is not Asia.

A Japanese woman came into the store with her children and had to return a 3DS game she bought for her son's birthday, Mario Kart 7.  She had to return it because her son owns a Japanese 3DS and they just recently moved to America with her servicemember husband.  Because of region locking she has to import any title she wants to get for her son or buy him another 3DS, at a decently high cost.  

This whole thing put the entire situation into perspective for me, as I may be moving to Japan in the next couple of years when my wife gets orders, so I may be faced with the same issues when I go to the local game store in Japan to buy some games.

#24 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

I was in the same mindset not a week ago.  Until two days ago I went into Gamestop to pay down my preorders, add more preorders, and pick up The Last Story.

I'll preface this with the fact that I live in a Military town (San Diego) and there are LOTS of people that move in between the west coast and Asia (namely Guam, Australia, and Japan).  Yes I know AUS is not Asia.

A Japanese woman came into the store with her children and had to return a 3DS game she bought for her son's birthday, Mario Kart 7.  She had to return it because her son owns a Japanese 3DS and they just recently moved to America with her servicemember husband.  Because of region locking she has to import any title she wants to get for her son or buy him another 3DS, at a decently high cost.  

This whole thing put the entire situation into perspective for me, as I may be moving to Japan in the next couple of years when my wife gets orders, so I may be faced with the same issues when I go to the local game store in Japan to buy some games.

this. people always assume no one lives overseas. I spent like 6 years in Asia, and it was a pain when I had a 360. Me and my buddies all switched to ps3 as soon as we could because it had no region lock.

#25 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

this. people always assume no one lives overseas. I spent like 6 years in Asia, and it was a pain when I had a 360. Me and my buddies all switched to ps3 as soon as we could because it had no region lock.

As soon as I saw that woman have to tell her son that she has to find a way to get the Japanese version for him I went online and signed the petition, which actually has quite a few signatures, over 12K last I saw IIRC.

#26 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

Order your games online. I agree tho, for someone who doesn't know anything about region locks or different region games (for example, the mother in your story) it is a little problematic. But the guy at the retailer should direct her to where to get the games. 

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#27 IvyT

IvyT

Blooper

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • NNID:IvyTamwood
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

Order your games online. I agree tho, for someone who doesn't know anything about region locks or different region games (for example, the mother in your story) it is a little problematic. But the guy at the retailer should direct her to where to get the games. 

Still, why make things harder for people when they could just unlock their devices? And considering Nintendo wants their devices to be 'family-friendly', I think something like "order online if you want" is not a good policy.

978478ba3d3649b2a57100410081a33a-d3aghdp

Now Playing: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

NNID: IvyTamwood PSN: Regithiel

#28 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

I told her she could go onto the eshop, but not all games are available there, and there is only a certain amount of space on SD cards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!