Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

"From some people’s perspective, it might seem like a kind of restriction. However, we hope people can appreciate the fact that we’re selling our products worldwide," Iwata told me, acknowledging that Nintendo has "historically" worked with region-locked systems. "There are many different regions around the world, and each region has its own cultural acceptance and legal restrictions, as well as different age ratings. There are always things that we’re required to do in each different region, which may go counter to the idea that players around the world want the freedom to play whatever they want. "

Iwata noted that the strategy behind regional approaches to hardware and content was something not unique to Nintendo, that it was something the entire industry had to "grapple with" and manage. "I hope that game fans can understand that the industry isn’t doing this solely out of business ego," Iwata said. "There are some reasons behind it."

Unfortunately this conversation came before Microsoft completely reversed its restrictive digital rights approach, which now leaves Nintendo as the most conservative hardware manufacturer.

http://www.ign.com/a...-region-locking

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

The solution is to buy  A  PAL 3DS, a Japanese 3DS, a North American 3DS and a PAL Wii U, Japanese Wii U, and a North American Wii U.

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

Silly Iwata.

Software can handle regional restrictions like PEGI and ESRB graphics and lock-outs easily without locking entire games out from systems.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

Why is Nintendo just as stubborn about Region locking as Microsoft was about DRM? THERE'S A FREAKING PETITION AGAINST NINTENDO RIGHT NOW!
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#5 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

-20%

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#6 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

Honestly why do people care? It's not like there are 100's of thousands of players wanting to play games in japanese language anyway, Also there's bearly any GOOD games that came out on other countries in the language you want. When has region locking ever been a problem? Seriously name 5 examples of GOOD games that were in the language you wanted and wasn't available in your country of a game you really wanted.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#7 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

THERE'S A FREAKING PETITION AGAINST NINTENDO RIGHT NOW!

This doesn't really mean much, you should probably stop mentioning it as a reason....

#8 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

But.. PS3 is region free...?

#9 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

Honestly why do people care? It's not like there are 100's of thousands of players wanting to play games in japanese language anyway, Also there's bearly any GOOD games that came out on other countries in the language you want. When has region locking ever been a problem? Seriously name 5 examples of GOOD games that were in the language you wanted and wasn't available in your country of a game you really wanted.

I agree. I think most who want to import are like in Aussie and similiar places where their games are $80+, and they want to import ours, say $40 (price went down)

Stupid Snowmads!

#10 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

I agree. I think most who want to import are like in Aussie and similiar places where their games are $80+, and they want to import ours, say $40 (price went down)

then why did they buy an AU Wii u.

#11 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

Actually the cheapest place for us Aussies to import games from is Hong Kong, cheap as and the same region coding as Australia :)

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#12 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

Didn't Sony "figure out" region-free?...

C'mon Satoru.

#13 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:42 AM

This doesn't really mean much, you should probably stop mentioning it as a reason....

Considering people want flexibility, it's a reason, look how people complained about DRM and didnt pre order xbox one so they changed it? In this case, Wii U's still gonna sell, but people will still complain about it to Nintendo, hoping that they will eventually break
  • Doc likes this
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#14 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

How is the whole industry dealing with it Iwata? Your competition just dropped it, you have no excuse now, come here Iwata and join us in 2013, I'm sorry to break it to you but 1996 ended a long time ago.........

#15 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

But.. PS3 is region free...?

this.

Also, you can try it all you want, but it IS a restriction. Don't pretend it's not.

#16 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

They will get with the times eventually, they will have no choice to stay relevant in a trending market.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#17 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • NNID:ViralLight
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda, Splatushi

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Because parents totally import expensive games for their kids. I mean I doubt a lot of parents even know they can do that. People that import a game know what they are doing and getting into they have researched the game, I mean that's why they want it they have invested time into learning about the game. You need to be 18 or older to import anyway.

#18 TheDoritoKing

TheDoritoKing

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • NNID:Sir-Homsar

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

I can understand wanting the 3DS to be region-free, but why consoles? Even if a game comes out five-months earlier in Japan, I don't speak Japanese (very few people do in the West because the Japanese language is an obtuse clusterflock with a horrifically inefficient writing system); and Europe has very few games we don't. 

Edited by TheDoritoKing, 04 July 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#19 ChrizAkaTheMole

ChrizAkaTheMole

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Sonic, Star wars, WWE , DBZ

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

Easy. I'm the uk

1) Scribblenauts unlimited - NA English

2) Afrika - Ps3 (region free but still I loved the idea)

3) Ghostbusters Wii - (1 year later it came out but a year was a long time considering it was delayed)

4) Mario Super Sluggers - NA English

5) Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs. New Generation - NA english.

It's alittle persuptious to assume this. In england we speak english (spoilers i know lol) Lots of great games from usa never make it over here. and good/great is objective as I imported (except number 1 which i need to import from Austraila to work) and they were great. I even imported japanese games like DreamMix TV World Fighters on gamecube, it was fighting game, once i knew where things were it an awesome game.

#20 Doc

Doc

Action Puzzle gamer ftw

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario,Sonic,Pokémon,Puzzle League.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

Also, people who say "I can't read Japanese", I personally think that only matters really in RPGs. Like it wouldn't matter for Fighting games or something similar to that. Plus I can understand a bit of it, and what about Japanese people living in UK or USA? Are they gonna get 2 3DSes/Wii Us? Also, I'm pretty sure NTSC games from American aren't in another language other than English.

Edited by Pikmin Pie, 04 July 2013 - 02:58 PM.

If you're too lazy to click on my profile, I am Pikmin Pie/Typical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!