Photo

Sony to unviel virtual reality tech for ps4.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

http://www.computera...headset-at-tgs/

'Sony is preparing to reveal the final piece of its PS4 hardware strategy at TGS by showcasing a PlayStation-branded virtual reality head-mounted display, CVG has learned.'

Yes please.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

CVG take every rumour as fact, like how sonic was going to be in galaxy 2 and retro were working on metroid star fox.

Edited by Nollog, 03 September 2013 - 07:30 AM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

CVG take every rumour as fact, like how sonic was going to be in galaxy 2 and retro were working on metroid star fox.

but..... gamz jirnalizm?

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#4 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

Tge developers of the Occulus Rift wants to include PS4/Xbox 1 support, so this may be it. Shame something like this can't happen on Wii U because you need to see the Gamepad screen, because VR is amazing.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#5 Pikachu!

Pikachu!

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda and Pokemon

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

If this is real, then the PS4 is a must buy for me. 

puppetzeldasig_2.png

#6 namkotje

namkotje

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

If this is real, then the PS4 is a must buy for me. 

Why? More devs will support the Oculus Rift. I see no reason why Sony should make their own, instead of making Oculus Rift compatible with the PS4.

Edited by namkotje, 03 September 2013 - 11:31 AM.

needsthisfinal2_zps12b5fb7d.gif

#7 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

Why? More devs will support the Oculus Rift. I see no reason why Sony should make their own, instead of making Oculus Rift compatible with the PS4.

If true, it probably IS the Rift. with playstation branding.

a partnership of some sort.

cant see occulus saying no to that.

#8 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

Honestly, I don't think now's the time for VR, I have a theory on the gen trend of the main appeal to gamers

7th Gen: Motion Control, Online Gaming
8th Gen: Embraced Social Interactivity, Second Screen Gameplay
9th Gen: Virtual Reality, idk what else

This is just what I'm predicting, I don't think VR appeals to gamers right now
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#9 namkotje

namkotje

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

If true, it probably IS the Rift. with playstation branding.

a partnership of some sort.

cant see occulus saying no to that.

Some exclusive partnership or? 

Won't happen.

Edited by namkotje, 03 September 2013 - 12:09 PM.

needsthisfinal2_zps12b5fb7d.gif

#10 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

Meh.
VR seems like motion gaming, it's cool, but in the end you would rather just sit on your couch with a controller.

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

Meh.
VR seems like motion gaming, it's cool, but in the end you would rather just sit on your couch with a controller.

Thats a no on both accounts for me. And a no on both claims about the couch.... assuming, and this is a stretch, that you were talking about the wii motion technology since this is a nintendo board. If not, then those parts that dont apply, dont apply.

I sit on the couch for all my wii motion games. The split controller makes wii games infinitely more comfortable, and I can lie in any comfortable position with my arms anywhere they want to be, instead of tethered together at a single point.

The having to stand or sit straight up with the arm held straight out to play wii games is a myth started by the idiot games media, and perpetuated by weak minds content with self fulfilling prophecies.

Unlike sony's move and ms's kinect, which are spatial tracking systems, wii remote technology is a referential tracking tachnology. It doesnt know, nor care where it actually is, only how its position has changed. The end result of that, is being able to play laying upside down, feet in the air with your wiimote arm hanging off the couch and onto the ground, and nunchuck arm lying across your chest. Most comfortable and convenient controller ever.

And you would be sitting on the couch or laying in bed, or wherever you want, video is streamed with the ps vr. Standing up and even worse moving would be a horrible idea considering reality does not line up at all with what data your eyes are sending your brain.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 ZombiCarolyn

ZombiCarolyn

Boo

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

vr? too early isn't it?

#13 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

vr? too early isn't it?

The tech is there.

It just has to be done right.

The bigger, higher resolution screens combined with proper audio and perhaps even some force feedback would do wonders.

The only problem is that, no matter how great the execution, it's still a couple of screens way too close to your eyes.

Fun for an hour.  Then take a break.  Seriously.

#14 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

Thats a no on both accounts for me. And a no on both claims about the couch.... assuming, and this is a stretch, that you were talking about the wii motion technology since this is a nintendo board. If not, then those parts that dont apply, dont apply.I sit on the couch for all my wii motion games. The split controller makes wii games infinitely more comfortable, and I can lie in any comfortable position with my arms anywhere they want to be, instead of tethered together at a single point.The having to stand or sit straight up with the arm held straight out to play wii games is a myth started by the idiot games media, and perpetuated by weak minds content with self fulfilling prophecies.Unlike sony's move and ms's kinect, which are spatial tracking systems, wii remote technology is a referential tracking tachnology. It doesnt know, nor care where it actually is, only how its position has changed. The end result of that, is being able to play laying upside down, feet in the air with your wiimote arm hanging off the couch and onto the ground, and nunchuck arm lying across your chest. Most comfortable and convenient controller ever.And you would be sitting on the couch or laying in bed, or wherever you want, video is streamed with the ps vr. Standing up and even worse moving would be a horrible idea considering reality does not line up at all with what data your eyes are sending your brain.

I wasn't implying that you need to stand to use VR technology. My point is that I would rather play with a controller. VR seems like this new dimension of entertainment, but I just don't think it'll work with consoles. Maybe it'll perform well with smartphones or tablets, but for the time being I don't see it being a "must have" for any system.

#15 thechamp80

thechamp80

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

Why would Sony work with Oculus Rift when they have the technology already and would want to make money off of it.

#16 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

I wasn't implying that you need to stand to use VR technology. My point is that I would rather play with a controller. VR seems like this new dimension of entertainment, but I just don't think it'll work with consoles. Maybe it'll perform well with smartphones or tablets, but for the time being I don't see it being a "must have" for any system.

You still use a controller with VR, and you can still sit on the couch. It's just today the head-mounted display makes every first-person game 11000 times more immersive and awesome. In fact, if Red Steel 2 used the Occulus Rift, it would have been be one of my favorite games because Wii Motion Plus doesn't require the sensor bar to function, so you have immersion first-person shooting with 1-1 sowrdplay.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#17 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

er? You still have to play with the controller. It usually gives stereoscopic 3d and adds a new axis of camera control thats slaved to your head, so you can look around naturally.... But Its not a holodeck.

if Red Steel 2 used the Occulus Rift, it would have been be one of my favorite games because Wii Motion Plus doesn't require the sensor bar to function, so you have immersion first-person shooting with 1-1 sowrdplay.

Thats a slight misconception.

While the introduction of m+ got rid of the whole point at the screen or gameplay screeches to a halt, and lets players continue controlling the game even without the sensor bar in the camera los....

however....

Red steel 2 relies very heavily on the ir to properly function. All motion+ games do. Just not directly like ir aiming. Without contact with the ir the sensors in the wii remotes calibration rapidly deteriates, and the player will find themselves needing to pause and recalibrate with irritating frequency. A glimpse of the sensor bar resets the drift. Because of this stray ir sources can wreak havok by calibrating the wiimote to themselves as 'front' instead of the sensor bar. Going into settings and adjusting sensitivity until only the sensor bar dots are left will fix this. However, that will do nothing about your freind being a jerk with a laser pointer.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#18 ZombiCarolyn

ZombiCarolyn

Boo

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

The tech is there.

It just has to be done right.

The bigger, higher resolution screens combined with proper audio and perhaps even some force feedback would do wonders.

The only problem is that, no matter how great the execution, it's still a couple of screens way too close to your eyes.

Fun for an hour.  Then take a break.  Seriously.

Caprica comes to mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!