Photo

Do you think Nintendo will support Kamiya's games in the future now that The Won

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

derful 101 is destined/ is a financial failure? 

Probably not. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

I think they will because they need all the their party support they can get now.

#3 Pikachu!

Pikachu!

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda and Pokemon

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

I have a feeling they will for some reason. I know W101 was a flop (Money wise), but I see him becoming a major supporter of Nintendo in the next years to come. 

puppetzeldasig_2.png

#4 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

Nintendo financed the Wonderful 101 anyway, Platinum wouldn't have been the ones taking the hit.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#5 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

It isn't a flop until it is released in the US and fails. Some of you may not be aware, but it is kind of a big market.

Just saying.

#6 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

It isn't a flop until it is released in the US and fails. Some of you may not be aware, but it is kind of a big market.

Just saying.

I think it'll probably do better in the US than in other countries. 

I don' know why, I just do. :)

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#7 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

It's still not in NA yet, lol

It will probably do pretty good in the states. That's the target audience.

794144.png?13383682

#8 TriplePower

TriplePower

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • NNID:TriplePower
  • Fandom:
    Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:03 PM

With GTA and other cool games around? It will certainly fail and I don't really care about Platinum developing for Nintendo in the future.

Visit my Youtube Channel to hear my opinion on various Nintendo games!

#9 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:47 PM

Just saying.

I wouldn't say so, The Wonderful 101 is a niche game targeted at the hardcore audience, and Japan loves to eat up this sort of stuff.

If it doesn't do well in Japan, well... Don't hold out much hope for the USA. Especially when it'll be released alongside other major franchises.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#10 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:58 PM

well truthfully you never know how an what the market wants. every new IP is a publisher and developer taking a chance. i think "IF" marketed well in US/NA this game could sell decently enough to warrant a sequel. people have to understand this game doesnt have the budget of top teir AAA games. it doesnt have to sell upward of 5 million just to break even. this game could in its lifetime sell 100 of thousands and make a profit and warrant a sequel

#11 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:51 AM

Doubt it'll do any better in the US.
If it does it'll be because of kids that just want any game for the wii u because they can't wait a month or two and be patient.

They'll continue working with him, despite it being financial suicide.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#12 namkotje

namkotje

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:25 AM

It's more that PG needs Nintendo (or another company) for funding. PG games doesn't sell well in general.

For that reason, I see PG working with Nintendo again. Their vision is also +- the same, so thats also a good thing. :)

needsthisfinal2_zps12b5fb7d.gif

#13 Ghost

Ghost

BASEDGOD

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:28 AM

Doubt it'll do any better in the US.
If it does it'll be because of kids that just want any game for the wii u because they can't wait a month or two and be patient.

They'll continue working with him, despite it being financial suicide.

It's a great game but like you said, American sales are not really gonna push it high enough to be deemed profitable. We will probably have to wait until sales time.

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

Molester Man, on 07 Sept 2013 - 03:47 AM, said:
I wouldn't say so, The Wonderful 101 is a niche game targeted at the hardcore audience, and Japan loves to eat up this sort of stuff.

If it doesn't do well in Japan, well... Don't hold out much hope for the USA. Especially when it'll be released alongside other major franchises.

clover/platinum games, particularly the super japanese ones, tend to fairly often sell 60-70% of their volume stateside, dwarfing their japanese sales.

That being said, do the math, and even for best case scenario of 70% na sales, its still abysmal sales. This one wont be breaking the clover/platinum curse.

Nintendo is well aware of this. They could have easily had a sales monster by following the original pitch and milking their established ip's by having the game star all star nintendo characters. Instead, they gave platinum a huge budget and said, do whatever you want. Make something weve never seen before.

No, this wont effect Nintendos relationship with platinum.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:47 AM

What? 

Are you serious? GTA comes out like two days before it. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#16 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

Nintendo is about the betterment of the games industry.

If not for them,

We would probably be severely lacking in the 3D games control department, motion controls, various gaming formulas,dual screen set-ups, etc.

They seem to have known they were not going to "cash in" on platinum games. Rather, they were diversifying and growing the areas they can later perfect.

It wasn't a safe bet. But it is good for the industry.

Bayonetta 2 will likely also profit little, though it looks tremendous in every way.

That's the way it goes sometimes.

Platinum knows how to make great games.

And they've been doing it.

Marketing could be better. And they could sell more by using proven franchise-friendly designs, but then the uniqueness of their offerings would be toned down.

In the end, I think we all would appreciate it if they keep doing what they're doing.

And Nintendo would o well to keep encouraging that. If they don't, Nintendo will be known as Mario, old Nintendo IPs and nothing else. Not good.

In the gcn days, they had factor 5. N64 had rare (and third party Akklaim support when they were awesome). Snes had everyone.

Wii u has platinum (branching out, exploring new gaming opportunities that both expand wii u gaming opportunities and genres -as well as providing some of the best outright gaming you can want- and providing opportunities to expand upon in future generations), ubisoft (even if they did pull a but of treason earlier in the year), monolith soft (enough said), and various third parties at various support levels.

The platinum games investment isn't a desperate move in search of instant financial success. It's part of a larger plan as evidenced by the bayonetta sequel.

Lets not forget that w101 isn't an established ip, isn't "next gen" graphically, and comes at a time when wii u install base isn't as high as could be, hype is down, and people are saving for the forthcoming new consoles too.

USA sales numbers will matter a lot. And I'd expect there is a sequel to this IP to truly gather its potential.

Platinum really should be incorporated as a second party.

#17 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

It depends on what expectations Nintendo had for this game and how Nintendo views the game in terms of quality.

TW101 might do better in the states, but elsewhere, it failed to make an impact. Bayonetta 2 is bound to do a lot better, given this sales and praise of the first game.

Maybe Nintendo will now give them one of their franchises or make them create a new IP more on the "mature" gamer.

On a side note, this actually made me think of that NES soccer game and how it would be cool if PG remade it for eshop, for exemple. I think it would turn out great!

#18 vatto

vatto

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:42 AM

Well, wiiU's install base is very low at the moment, but there is a chance that it will grow strong now that their big games are being released in the course of three months (Wii sports, wii fit, wii party, zelda, dkc, mario). Because of that I think that many games will be played late in their lifecycle.

I've seen a lot of new wiiU owners buying games like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and New Super Mario Bros U, which were released quite some time ago, but are exclusives and amazing games. W101 may be a release failure, but it can grow strong with time.

Edited by vatto, 19 September 2013 - 05:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!